1. New Friend

Re: Blindlessly In Love

Words: 4059

For centuries, Marvel had all of his favorite movies. Where heroes risked their lives to save innocent people and make changes in the world, Baekhyun too, wished he could be someone like that. Many dreams had him with big biceps, six-packs, and a perfectly toned body with superpowers that allowed him to be the most invincible. Yet they were only dreams because all he had was a peptide body, powerless body limps and most of all....blind.

Baekhyun doesn't know what he was thinking and maybe it was just his desire to be a hero that had him jump forward and pushed the stranger away from the upcoming car. His body moved like it wasn't his own and although he lost his sight in the process of saving a complete stranger, he doesn't regret doing it at all. Many people asked him before of whether or not he wanted to reverse time and have his eyesight back. And as any other 16 years old would answer, Baekhyun said yes.

"Of course, I want my eyesight back. There's so much left in this world to see........ but as much as I want my eyesight back, I wouldn't trade it for the man's life. I saved him because I want him to live. His loved ones must be waiting for him somewhere and I can't have them wait for him at the funeral can I?"

All in all, Baekhyun's just an overly nice, innocent pure-hearted kid. He saved the man with the heart of a hero, of a good citizen, and most of all of a person who only wishes for the best. Baekhyun never thought of his blindness as a disability. He never once complained about it and he works hard during his rehabilitation. His family supports him a lot, visiting him and encouraging him here and there. And so Baekhyun believes that one day he will have his eyes sight back.

"There will be a chance your eyes sight will be back, but that's also a risk. Are you willing to take it?" Baekhyun did not hesitate to nod his head. With his hope held high and a positive personality, the doctor was more than sure that Baekhyun will recover in the future.

Yet two years have passed and his eyesight isn't getting any better. Baekhyun still hopes and wishes every day, but deep inside, Baekhyun knew the chances of recovering are slim. Doctors pass him with a warm greeting and a pad on his head. Without a doubt, those actions brought him comfort, smiling back in respect. But once he reaches home and his body falls, face flat on the mattress, Baekhyun lets himself be consumed by despair once again.

He tries to be happy and that his family doesn't have to worry about him, but nobody knows.......nobody knows that it was just a mask.....nobody knows how badly he wanted his eyesight back.........nobody knows how much he's hurting on the inside...........and nobody knows that he falling deeper and deeper into darkness.

"I'm sorry to say it again Baekhyun, but the nerves in your orbs are not fusing together. No matter how many surgeries we did, they always rip apart. I'm afraid you will never get your eyesight back unless you get-"

Baekhyun shook his head. He didn't want to do that. No one is going to volunteer anyway and even if they did, that chance would be very small. With a heavy sigh, Baekhyun drifts to Wonderland, a place where his dream could be made, a place where he can see people, shapes, and colors, and a place where he still has his eyes.

'Next morning' was supposed to be a new day, but to Baekhyun, it was just another day, repeated for the last two years. He'll go to school, talk to some friends, do some work, and by the end of the day, go home. That was his routine. There weren't any hangouts or group meetings because he can't enjoy them like the others. He did himself a favor by going straight home where he can listen to music, and drown himself in the melodic sound of the piano in his room.

For some strange reason, Baekhyun never had to find his way on the piano. He just plays, making magic to his heart's content and letting his fingers dance on top of the white key like it was a part of his body. His parents called him a genius, but to him, he was simply passionate and in love with the said instrument. Moreover, Baekhyun loves to sing. He finds himself very expressive whenever he sings because they substitute for the words he isn't brave enough to express. Even so, singing doesn't help him tell his feelings because he only ever sings when he's alone. It's a secret that he can even sing, even so, singing and music are the two things that make his life more colorful. As a replacement for his eyes. music was the one thing that could make him feel alive. Blue, pink, yellow, and even black, but at least in music, black is accompanied by purple, red, and green. After all, a song always tells a story.

"Mom, can I go to the park today," Baekhyun asks shyly. It's uncommon that Baekhyun wants to go outside but something about that did not make Madam Byun anxious, instead, it made her excited.

"Make sure Umin hyung is with you. It's great to get some fresh air sometimes. Would like some snack with you?" Mrs. Byun asks giddily.

"Maybe some fruits and milk tea?" Baekhyun said gleefully.

Upon reaching the park with Umin Hyung's help (his butler), they walk along the road, with him walking in the front and Umin hyung a few steps behind. He likes walking like this, with no one to tell him because at least then, he would feel more independent, and not a blind kid who always needs help. He does need his cane to help him map out the area, and having a cane tells others that they need to be careful around him. It's a love-hate relationship between him and his cane but that's a topic for another day.

As the nice breeze caresses his cheek, Baekhyun smiles to himself, enjoying mother nature like it was a part of him. He doesn't focus much on his surroundings and strolls straight ahead with no sense of direction at all. But it doesn't matter really because Baekhyun loves to wander and explore by himself.

An hour passed and he found a very isolated place at the end of the lake. There, he lay down on the soft grass and left his cane right beside him. Umin hyung helps him set up his snack and drinks before retreating to a seat a few meters away to let him have his own privacy. His butler knows best not to invade his privacy, after all, it's the one thing that Baekhyun seriously wants all to himself.

Long minutes pass and he hears nothing but leaves rustling. The sound of far-away laughs makes him feel safe enough to raise his voice. Maybe not too loud or Umin hyung could hear, but perhaps loud enough that he can let out his feelings in an open space.

"Baby don’t cry tonight on this stormy night
Baby don’t cry tonight it’s fitting for a night like this
I had to let you go in this moment that shines brighter than tears
So baby doesn't cry my love will be remembered

On top of the dark shadow of pain, on the threshold of farewell
Even if I cruelly fall down, even that will be for you so I will handle it Instead, I will give myself to you, who doesn’t even know me
Don’t cry – instead of hot tears, show me cold laughter baby.

Say no more" ........

........."Baby~"

"No more"............

.........."Don't cry~"

Baekhyun stops, startled to hear a second voice. Baekhyun was this close to screaming for his butler but decided to test it again. Was that voice completing his sentences?

"Baby don’t cry tonight after the darkness passes." Say no more" ........

........."Baby~"

"No more"............

.........."Don't cry~"
"I will burn all of the scars in exchanged for your love"

This time, Baekhyun knows he wasn't imagining things. With such a low tone and a raspy feel to it, the voice finished his song with emotions laced with sadness, tenderness, and loneliness. It was so beautiful the way he ended it that Baekhyun completely forgot a stranger was listening to him sing. Perhaps the stranger was there this whole time, but how come to his butler didn't say anything? Neither less, he sings again, wanting to hear more of that voice....that warm voice.

"Baby don’t cry tonight after the darkness passes."

     "Baby don’t cry tonight because I'll be there holding your tears."

"We exchange our fates that are headed toward each other."

     "As much as there was no choice but for us to go awry, I know we have loved that much more."

By the time the mysterious voice end the song, Baekhyun had tears piercing the edge of his eyes. The song speaks for himself, only more so when the stranger sings the other part of the song. He doesn't understand why he is so emotionally affected when the stranger sings the second last sentence of his favorite song. But the one thing he does know is that this stranger understands him, can feel his pain, and can connect with him to a certain level of loneliness.

Sitting there, Baekhyun pathetically suppresses his sob. The loneliness, the sadness, and the pain are finally catching up to him. He didn't know if he could contain it any longer. All this time, he had been locking away his emotions, making sure that no one will know. He didn't want to make his loved ones worried. He didn't want to give them more burden, more so on the fact that they have a blind child who can't do anything by himself. Baekhyun knows his parents love him and they would take care of him even if he wasn't blind. But Baekhyun can't help but feels useless and burdensome since he can no longer help with anything. Not the rent, the business, or even the smallest thing like cooking dinner or choosing a color for the furniture. It was the small thing that he wishes he could do to repay his parent's love. They were small things but Baekhyun knew they would mean so much.

When it comes to love, Baekhyun doesn't lack any of that, in fact, he receives an abundance of love. Even so, Baekhyun can't help but feel lonely and different. After all, no one knows how he truly feels. There was no one he could share his feelings with. There is simply no such person who he can lean on and simply cry.

Perhaps because this person is a stranger that Baekhyun doesn't have to worry about being judged. With a stranger, he can share until his heart is content and then leave and never see that person again. At least in front of a stranger, Baekhyun doesn't have to try so hard to put up a mask. They say, "strangers are just friends waiting to happen." If so, this would be his first friend since he'd gone blind.

"So Baby don’t cry. My love will protect you." Baekhyun felt a thump wiping away his tears as

the stranger sing the last line. "Don't cry okay? I like you better when you're smiling."

Baekhyun decided he wants to make friends with this person.

"I really like your voice. Can I hear you sing again tomorrow?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As appointed, Baekhyun returns to the same part of the park the next day. There he sits, back leaning against a tree and his fingers nervously playing with each other while he waits for the stranger to come. Only five minutes have passed but it felt like hours. His heart was racing fast but the smile on his face never falter. They didn't really talk yesterday since his butler came to get him after sunset. His butler was a little skeptical about Baekhyun meeting this stranger again and decided to stay mum and observe a little more. Baekhyun promises to scream if anything were to happen.

Yesterday, Baekhyun didn't have the chance to ask for the stranger's name nor did he get the chance to introduce himself. Feeling anxious, Baekhyun thought about all the possible topics they could talk about but after minutes of talking to himself, Baekhyun never got the chance to finalize his topic as he was surprised by a hand on his shoulder. Caught off guard, Baekhyun scrambled away in fear.

"S-sorry I didn't mean to scare you like that." Baekhyun recognizes the voice almost immediately. His hearing abilities had tenfold since he'd gone blind but Baekhyun was sure, he didn't have to be blind in order to recognize that mellow, warm voice.

"Oh no, it's okay. I-I'm just sensitive......be-because I can't see." Baekhyun exhales as he calms himself down with his hand on his chest.

The stranger sat next to him and he fidgets nervousness since it's been a long while since he made a new friend. All previous plannings gone, Baekhyun sit there, hoping that the latter would make the first effort to start a conversation.

"How are you today? Are you feeling well?" the stranger asks and Baekhyun thanks the god silently.

"It's great. Everything is good. How about yours?" Baekhyun answers with laughs and awkwardness.

"It was boring, but now, not anymore." Baekhyun blushes at the flirt and he looks away to hide his pink cheek. It's not normal for any sane person to go and flirt with a blind person so obviously, Baekhyun has to double-check for any ill intention. Even so, Baekhyun hates to think that a person who possesses such a beautiful warm voice is a complete jerk.

"I don't have ill intent if that's what you're worried about," Chanyeol said as if he could read Baekhyun's mind. "I was simply intrigued, fascinated or attracted, whatever you want to call it, but I was simply lead to you by your voice. It was beautiful by the way."

"My name is Byun Baekhyun. What is yours?" It was a good chance to ask for his name and he needs to change the topic anyway.

Baekhyun waited for an answer, but one never came.

"Are you still there?" Baekhyun tilts his head in confusion and swears he didn't hear. any movement. "Where's-"

Two hands suddenly hold onto his and they slowly lead him upwards. Soon enough, his hands are met with someone's face and Baekyun assumes it's the stranger that he was touching. He immediately blushes, feeling incredibly intimidated because they're already on touching level.

"Aren't you curious about what I look like?." Baekhyun is curious so even though he was blushing, Baekhyun slowly begin to contours the face he was holding. Shaping out all the dents and curves on the stranger's face, even moving closer, to feel the latter's eyelashes because the latter was tall.

Baekhyun was too busy learning to notice he was just centimeters away from the stranger's face. Their noses would probably touch if he moves any closer and he probably should have felt the warm air that breathes onto his face, but he was too indulged in the ears that adorably poke from both sides of the stranger's head.

"Yoda" was the first thing that came into his mind.

The stranger laughs and repeated the nickname he was given. Coincidentally, his friends call him that too, and the only difference between their ways of calling him is that Baekhyun sounded very cute, almost like a child asking a question. He immediately grows fond of the name unlike how his friends first used it on him.

He also enjoys watching Baekhyun's face staring intensely at his. With his mouth slightly open and eyes lost in a world of wonder, he looks like a lost child looking for his parents. Although he had known of Baekhyun's blindness, he never once thought Baekhyun's eyes were dull and lifeless. In fact, he thought it looks beautiful, a pair of brownish orbs that never ceased to stop searching for a meaning in life.

He wouldn't mind Baekhyun calling him Yoda instead of his real name, but it wouldn't be good to grow fond of it because his friends will make fun of him and that's the least he wanted.

"I'm sorry I can't tell you my full name, but you can call me Chanyeol." Chanyeol hopes Baekhyun accepts his request. He didn't want to give Baekhyun a fake name. He wanted to be genuine and didn't want any misunderstanding to arise later once they got closer. So rather than faking his name, he'll give Baekhyun parts of his real name and he hopes Baekhyun accepts just that.

"Chanyeol?" Baekhyun confirms.

"Yeah." Chanyeol smiles apologetically. Not that Baekhyun can see of course.

"Chanyeol's good for now. Hopefully, you'll trust me enough one day to tell me your full name."

It's not about trusting Baekhyun, it's so much more than that.

They talk a lot about each other after that. About themselves, their school, their friends, hobbies, and other small things like their favorite food and worst fear. They talk about all kinds of things and Baekhyun enjoys it so much because this was the first time that someone was genuinely curious about him rather than why he is blind.

"Oh, by the way, I can do palm reading very well. Want me to read yours?" Baekhyun gleefully asks. It was one of the things he had picked up ever since he had gone blind.

"Sure."

First Baekhyn took in a deep breath as he takes both of Chanyeol's hands. He put them together and then rubs his palms against the back of Chanyeol's hands to warm them up. After that he separates their hands and intertwined their fingers together, pulling them towards each other so that they are knees touching knees. The act was extremely intimidating since Baekhyun was offering a lot of skinship, but seeing how Baekhyun held such a stoic face, Chanyeol guesses, the latter was just doing his thing. Even so, Chanyeol felt incredibly warm in his cheeks and ears. It's the one-time Chanyeol feels thankful for Baekhyun's blindness.

"This is so that I can connect with you, your aura, and your soul. Alright, let me see your left palm."

Now that Baekhyun is only looking at Chanyeol's left hand, the taller is feeling a lot calmer. He waits patiently for Baekhyun to line out his palm. He restrains himself from laughing because Baekhyun's index finger was making him tingly but other than that, he likes how Baekhyun caresses his hand and holds it with much care.

"You have such an adventurous life Chanyeol." Baekhyun laughs, "What are you, a cop? A gang member?" Baekhyun jokes and he wasn't correct, but Chanyeol had his reason to tense up.

"You really have to be careful Chanyeol. Your hands have so many short lines. It can either mean you're surrounded by danger, or" Baekhyun pause, "or, you will experience close-to-death situations many times.”

Baekhyun said with many worries.

It scares Chanyeol how much of that is true. It's even scarier because of the fact that Baekhyun is the person who can see it and something about that makes Chanyeol feels very exposed. This is exactly why Chanyeol doesn't want Baekhyun to know who he is. It is the life that he rather not let Baekhyun get involve with. But the years of yearning, the guilt, the curiosity and-oh damn, the voice. They were all just too much, and before he knows it, an angelic voice had led him to the person he fears to confront the most. Imagine his shock when he found out Baekhyun was the one sitting there and imagine how he couldn’t resist those tears that fell upon Baekhyun’s adorable cheek.

Those tears were his fault. The fall was because he did something unforgivable. It is that moment that he couldn’t resist the temptation to wipe away those tears and make Baekhyun smile again.  

It was like he was in love all over again- since years ago.....

"Oh, and it looks like you move a lot. You will probably live away from home when you get older." Baekhyun excitedly asks, "So tell me, where is your dream place? Like the place, you would want to settle down when you retire."

Clearing his throat, Chanyeol hums, "Well, it's hard to say, but I do like Europe. Somewhere that has all four seasons, surrounded by nature and a place that is small and quiet."

"That does sound nice," Baekhyun comments, "I'm not sure about all four seasons, but I do like snow and I like someplace that is cold."

And Chanyeol could imagine them playing in the snow and him sitting behind Baekhyun as they slide down a hill or--

Chanyeol shakes his head. What is he thinking? A life with Baekhyun? He wouldn't dare.

"Also your hand is very warm. That must mean you are a very nice and gentle person Chanyeol. Your voice was really nice too. Like when you finished my songs. I-" Baekhyun suddenly blushes. He forgot Chanyeol heard his voice yesterday. So embarrassing.

"What about my voice?" Chanyeol teased.

"I-It was r-really nice."

"Not as good as yours. Why else would I be led to this isolated location of the park?"

"I didn't sing that loud."

"I would be able to hear it from anywhere Baekhyun. It's your voice after all." Chanyeol said, without realizing much of the underlining that he left, but Baekhyun was too emerged in his own embarrassment to notice.

"Let's meet another time. I-I need to go home." Baekhyun scrambles around for his cane to stand up but failed miserably since he has moved quite a bit from his original location.

"Here." Chanyeol offers and Baekhyun thought it was his cane, so he takes it immediately. Turns out, it was Chanyeol's hand and before Baekhyun could retract his hand completely, Chanyeol grabs his hand and pull him up until their body is flushed against each other.

In this position, Baekhyun was able to tell Chanyeol was a lot taller than him. Perhaps at least 10 centimeters taller.

"Would you like to meet again Baekhyun?" Baekhyun looks away hesitantly, but he nods with their body still against each other.

"I'm usually free Tuesday, Wednesday around this time, and on Saturday, I'm always free."

"S-So this Saturday then?" Chanyeol finally lets Baekhyun go and gives him his cane. Baekhyun have so many questions about Chanyoel but for now, Baekhyun thought, this is fine.

 "Baekhyun." Chanyeol calls out.

"Yeah?" Baekhyun called for his butler.

"Thank you for being my friend. Thank you for not asking questions."

Baekhyun doesn't know why Chanyeol sounds so sad. It's not like he was going to reject being Chanyeol's friend anyway. After all, he was grateful Chanyeol wanted to be his friend.

"I should be the one thanking you Yeol." Baekhyun smile, "Everyone only cares about me because they pity me. But you -- I could feel that you are different. I feel like I can trust you."

Chanyeol clenches his fist and holds his breath. Baekhyun shouldn't have trusted him so easily. This is wrong. Just talking to Baekhyun is wrong.

I'm not who you think I am Baekhyun.

"I'll see you next time Baekhyun. Till then, take care." Chanyeol ruffles Baekhyun's hair as Baekhyun's butler slowly walks up.

But fate was cruel and their lives are already intertwined. He would have left Baekhyun be if he could, but now that it comes to this, having Baekhyun by his side is the safest.

"Also, Baekhyun, give me your phone. I'll give you my phone number."

Without Baekhyun noticing, his butler was bowing his head towards Chanyeol to which the taller raises a hand and responds with a smile.

"If you need anything. You can call me okay?"

Baekhyun nods.

"Of you go then."

Chanyeol stood as he watches Baekhyun find his way back to his car.

I promise I will keep you safe. This time, I will be your hero.

-TBC-

 

Notes* This story will be a little bit more mature than the previous version. Baekhyun and Chanyeol's characters will be a lot more mature. I feel like the old version didn't really make sense so I'm going to rewrite it a little.

Any comments so far?

Next Update: 9/1/2021 at Midnight.