Moving

My Darkest Angel

When I was a child my grandmother used to tell this to me: "When dark clouds above your head are trying to fight with your feelings, at that time don't forget to believe. Believe that tomorrow will be a miracle, don't turn back, leave your past behind and go toward to the happy future. Your angel always be by your side to protect you."

The rain was pouring, the ground was poachy and flowed into the grave like a mudslide, which was buried by the unpaid workers. An old sad song was playing, people around me were crying and I was broken inside. The only person who understood me, who always listened what happened in the school, what pigwash we got on the canteen or who beat the neighbour geek boy again... are now left. 
My mom shed some tears, too. But I knew she wasn't as sad as I was. She didn't bewail my father though, just as much as people believed he was precious for her. She didn't love him, she only needed his money. But for now that the granny passed away too, we didn't left enough money so we have to move. We have to leave everything here. The house where I was grew up, my non-exist friends, the teachers who only loved me because I was obedient and hard-working and every memories which binds me here. 
I caressed the oak-made bed where the granny slept for the last time, got down the rosary from the wall, took it into my pocket and left the room. I dragged down my luggage on the stairs, I was too lazy to lift it. My mom who I only called "woman" gritted her teeth as she came to see what I was doing.  
- Would you die if you lift that ?! I sold this house for a lot and I don't want to the old stupid couple reclaim even a little because you chafed that damn stairs. 
- I heard scratching from the attic. It must be a rat. Tell them to call the disinfestations. 
With that I passed her. She sweared at me but I get used to it so it wasn't so painful how she called me. My heart started to be stronger and it was a good sign. 
I stepped out from the house but turned back on the porch and looked at my granny's window. She used to look for me from the window wondering when I come finally. I closed my eyes when remembered a very precious moment of my life. 

- I want to give you something. Your grandfather gave me this ring when he was called into the army. At that time I was pregnant with your dad but even I didn't know that. 
She laughed and continued the story. She was holding that ring on her palms. 
- Your grandfather wrote a word inside. That word changed my whole life. "Believe". This helped me to recover the pain. Few months later I got a letter from the army. I thought he answered because I wrote him, he'll be a father soon. But instead I was disappointed. 
- What was in the letter? 
I was curious even though I knew the answer. 
- Your grandfather died on the battlefield while he was guarding his homeland. Soldiers from the opposite nation shot him while he was protecting the general. He became a national hero and I got money from the army but nothing could make up the lack of him. I only accepted the money because of your father, to take care of him. I didn't want him to grew up in a broken family but that's we've got. I had to stepped from the dark past and let him go to a better place. There was something which kept me alive. 
- What was it?
- Belief. I believed that he was in a better place and protect us from Heaven. I believed it, and I'll believe it forever. 
- But granny! Why are you give me this ring if it's so important to you? 
- Because I have to meet someone special and I want you to protect the ring when I'm away. 

It is said that people feel when their life comes to the end. At that time I didn't understand it but for now I know that the special person my granny mentioned was my grandfather. I looked down to my fingers. The ring was on it. I took out the rosary and turn back again to see the house for the last time. The woman kicked a box away. I sighed and went to the car which was parking on the edge of the road. 
I was sitting in the car waiting for the woman to come out. I don't wanna go. I don't wanna leave behind granny's house but I had no choice. The woman already bought a house near Seoul and I have to do everything she want. I'm not even 21. I can't live alone no matter how much I want. 
I closed my eyes when the car's door opened and I kept closed them as long as the woman sat in and slammed the door. 
- Where's that ring from? 
She succesfully broke the half minute long silence. 
- It's not your business. 
I couldn't fasten the seat belt because the woman's palm hit my face roughly. I stared her face furiously. Her face was scary too. 
- So 18 years wasn't enough for you to learn how to respect me. I'm your mother! How dare you speak me like that?! If you didn't know I ensure your future! - she screamed.
- If you didn't know you only can live because of me. You live from that money you got after me from the government! - I screamed back.
She knew I was right. Since then she didn't talk to me and I also didn't start a conversation. I took my earphones and started to listen a Swedish metal band.

- We're here. Get out!
She ripped out my earphones so I woke up. I must doze off. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. 
She successfully bought a house in the suburb of Seoul far away from everything. I took my smallest vitality and got out of the car. I dragged out my stuff and went toward our new house. 
I have to say she choosed a charming one. It has single-storey, western styled with a small yard in front of it. A concrete pavement lead to the house and after some stairs there was a small porch. The door was made by wood and a nice knocker decorated it. The whole house reminded me the First World War. The air was moldy inside but I didn't mind. 
- Your room is on the right. Pack out and I'll order pizza. 
The woman said while was coming back from the basement. 
- I'm not hungry. 
I said while I was going toward my room.
I took a deep breath before I opened the door. The sunshine almost blind me, everything was in floodlighting inside. I surprisely took out the key from the keyhole and sank it into my pocket. I hope the woman don't know about the key because she would confiscate it immediately. There weren't so much furniture in my room only my bed, a big cabinet and a desk and that's all. The window was looking at the big nothing behind our house, the sun was shining from there. It's really the edge of Seoul, the wood also says that. Yeah, a huge wood spreads behind the house. I decided that tomorrow I'll explore it. As I was looking the landscape I saw moving in the corner of my eyes. I glanced there immediately but I didn't see anything so I thought it was because of the tiredness. I turned back to the window and I almost got a heart attack. I saw a human's contour on the window. I turned back immediately again but I was the only person in the room. 
- What the hell is going on?!
I stepped from the window and run out to find the woman. She was packing out things from a box. 
- What? Are you hungry? 
She looked at me. I shook my head, turn back to go back to my room but her voice made me stop. 
- Take these empty boxes to the basemet. 
She threw them in front of me. I sighed while bend down, took them and started my way to the basement. I opened the door where I thought the basemet was.
I didn't find the light switch so I left the door open for the sunshine to give me some help. I was in the end of the stairs (which was creaking like in the horror movies) when the door shut loudly. I dropped the boxes in fright. I touched the wall desperatedly see if I find a light switch and I was lucky, I found one. The light-bulb was dimb yet filled the whole room. I heard the wind blowing outside so I thougt the door shut was because of it. I kicked the boxes to the corner as fast as I could and turned back to run out when the bulb started to glimmer. I froze. There was someone in the other part of this place. I couldn't move in my frighten but the flickering stopped and I realised that there was nobody except me in the basement. 
I gulped, after run out didn't even mind to off the light. I didn't stop until my room. I was thinking about to close the door but the woman might come into see what I'm doing so I rejected the idea. I went to the bed and tried to sleep. I almost could but the woman came in. 
- Why the hell didn't you turn off the...oh.
Probably she had the maternal instinct so she quietly turned back and left my room. After it I could sleep.