S01_E03: Bad Blood

Black Gold [discontinued]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sorry for the wait guys. I'm not going to lie, Pokemon Go ended up consuming a lot of my free time this summer XD I'll try to get back on top of updates this fall/winter.

 

 

Tiffany jolts awake as her mattress dips.

Knowing that her roommate is out of town, the girl can’t help that is the first word that starts screaming in her mind, but when she hears the intruder’s familiar voice, she instantly relaxes.

“Move over, chubby.”

“Rude,” Tiffany groans, but shuffles over anyways, smelling a feint hint of sandal wood as Sooyoung crawls into bed with her. “You’ve got to stop breaking into the Puff dorm,” Tiffany mutters as she rubs her eyes.

“I can’t sleep,” Sooyoung says, forcing the smaller girl to make room for her on the now shared pillow.

“We don’t share this sentiment,” Tiffany drones, moving the blanket to help cover her friend. “You know Bora’s visiting her family this weekend, you can just sleep in her bed.”

“But it’s so cold!” Sooyoung whines, snuggling closer to her friend.

Tiffany giggles as the tall, skinny girl’s boney limbs poke her. “Watch where you’re putting those shivs!” she croaks, wincing as a sharp elbow pokes her. “What’s wrong with sleeping in your own room, anyways?”

“What? A girl can’t invite herself over for a slumber party to check up on her friend?”

“Mm?” Tiffany hums, still keeping her eyes closed and preserving what rest she can. “Check up on what?”

In the dark, Sooyoung glances to her right, trying to make out the other girl’s face. “I just wanted to see if you were okay.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, I just wanted to check up on you, Fany. Yuri said you seem kind of tense with Sica being Taeyeon’s lab partner.”

Tiffany sighs, not wanting her last thoughts before sleeping to be of Taeyeon. “Jessi’s nice. I don’t want Taeyeon to hurt her.”

Sooyoung’s not dumb enough to ask, ‘like how she hurt you?’ Being the smart girl—and good friend—she is, she just replies, “you’re right.” The two sit in silence for a bit before Sooyoung speaks up once more. “Did you finally send Yuri back to her own room?”

“Yup.”

“Think she’s going to jump Sica’s bones again?” Sooyoung chuckles.

Tiffany laughs too, but reaches out to smack her friend. “She didn’t mean it. You know her. She just gets…lonely sometimes.”

“Oh, I know that you know she gets lonely sometimes.”

Another hit lands on top of Sooyoung’s stomach.

“Ow! You two can do whatever you want. I’m not judging! Geez! To each their own.”

“That’s right. Mind your own beeswax, Choi Sooyoung,” Tiffany chuckles softly, evidently tired.

Sooyoung lets a beat stretch between them before she finds the gulls to ask, “does it really not bother you? The whole friends-with-benefits thing? Just because she’s lonely?”

“I don’t mind,” Tiffany mutters, turning over to face the wall. She doesn’t want to tell her friend that it’s fine, because she gets lonely too. “Go to sleep, Soo.”

Even under the sleepy haze Tiffany’s voice is cloaked in, Sooyoung can sense the tinge of sadness in her best friend’s voice. Though the girl has a loquacious personality, Tiffany will only talk when wants to and Sooyoung knows not to pry.

“Sweet dreams, Fany.”

 

***

 

 

***

 

Jessica sits at her work bench, drumming her pen against her notebook as she keeps looking to the empty seat next to her. Since Joy’s little warning, Taeyeon’s been absent for the past two classes and the last time Jessica saw her was a week ago, under the cover of her animal form.

Not only is she curious about Taeyeon meeting their insanely attractive professor under the cover of night, but Joy’s words still ring clear in her mind:

Aren’t you the new girl that rolls with Tiffany? You know that’s an automatic foul with Taeyeon’s whole gang, right?

She blows out a long exhale as she thinks about what could have possibly transpired between Tiffany and Taeyeon, enough that even their juniors would have caught wind of it. ‘Maybe they were popular girls fighting over a guy?’ Jessica chuckles to herself at the amusing thought since it doesn’t seem so farfetched. After all, her whole life at SKY so far has felt like one big teenage drama show.

‘Oh! Maybe Taeyeon and Tiffany are…ex-girlfriends?!’

She giggles at her own silly imagination as she continues to fill out the dramatic plot in her head.

“What’s so funny?”

As the Gryffindor girl slides into her seat, Jessica’s jaw drops when she catches sight of her lab partner that she was just daydreaming about.

“Oh my god! Where have you been?!” Jessica hisses through grit teeth. “We have a lab report due next week and I haven’t seen you for days. You were supposed to meet me over the weekend!”

Taeyeon winces as she rubs the back of her neck. “I-I’m sorry. I got really sick over the weekend. I was kinda stuck in bed all day. Sorry. I should’ve left you a message.”

Hearing that the girl was ill, Jessica suddenly feels guilty for losing her temper so quickly. “Oh.”

“Is…something wrong?” Taeyeon asks, curious about the girl’s sudden vacant expression.

“No, it’s—sorry,” Jessica says, slightly embarrassed by the lengthy pause. “Are you feeling better?”

“Sure,” Taeyeon vaguely replies with a shrug.

As she cracks her neck from side to side, Jessica frowns when it seems like the girl can’t sit still. “Seriously, are you okay?” she asks again, watching Taeyeon rotate a cracking shoulder in slow circles.

“Ha, yeah. I’m fine. Just a little achy.”

“Hi, girls.”

Surprised, Jessica jerks slightly in her seat when their professor manages to sneak up behind them. She props her pen up and pretends to be adding to her existing notes.

“And, uh, how are you girls doing on your project?” he asks, looking between the two of them.

“We’re doing fine, professor,” Jessica quickly answers.

As Siwon turns to face Taeyeon, the girl rests her head in her hand as she leans against the work bench. “Hi, professor,” she rasps.

“Hey, kid. You gonna be able to keep up with Jessica? Or are you going to need after-class tutorials?” the man teases.

Jessica’s pretty sure her eyebrows have vanished into her hairline as she watches the two of them stare at each other with freaking stars in their eyes. She tries not to let her imagination run wild, but she definitely thinks they’re flirting.

Sneaking off in the night into some basement? Oh yeah. One hundred percent bow-chika-bow-wow. No doubt about it.

Taeyeon snorts and slaps her teacher on the shoulder. “Please. You know I’m an ace! Between Sica and I, we could make an encyclopedia of potions before you’d know what hit you.”

The man smirks and Jessica chews on her thumbnail, fascinated about the way he keeps his gaze focused on Taeyeon.

“Well then,” Siwon sighs, rising away from the pair of girls, “I look forward to being impressed by whatever you turn in then.”

“If we impress you, what kind of bonus do we get?” Taeyeon asks while watching the man leave for his desk.

“Just do your lab, Taeyeon,” he replies. As the professor takes his seat, he glances over his shoulder with such a coy smirk that Jessica actually blushes from it—especially knowing that he’s tossing his student that look.

          

A teacher and his pupil. The scandal just writes the headlines itself!

“Careful.” Taeyeon snickers at her potions partner. “You blush any harder than that, you might faint.”

“What?” It takes a moment for Jessica to compute what Taeyeon is teasing her about. “What?! No! I wasn’t—I’m not—Professor, he—” Finding absolutely no way to dig herself out of this misunderstanding, Jessica fumbles her pen in her frenzy, only to blush even harder when Taeyeon bursts out laughing.

 

***

 

“Hey.”

Taking her nose out of her book, Jessica looks up to find Yuri sliding the dorm doors close. She sits up a little straighter on her bed, feeling a little awkward about seeing her roommate again since Yuri had shamelessly put the moves on her.

Jessica nervously shifts her weight from side to side. “H-hey.”

“I, um,” Yuri hums as she fidgets with her thumbs. “I never got to formally apologize to you about the other night,” she says as she walks over to her own bed, dropping her duffle bag to the floor. “I really shouldn’t have come onto you like that. Sorry. It was a bit strong, wasn’t it?”

Jessica naturally blushes at the memory of the girl tucking a strand of hair over her ear before caressing her lower lip. “Y-yeah. You really surprised me.”

“Sorry,” Yuri laughs, “I must’ve been like insanely or something that night.”

Oh. Now Jessica really does blush and she’s sure that it’s reaching the tip of her ears. “Oh. I-I…I’m not….”

“I’m not your type?”

Jessica gulps, feeling hot in the face. “I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t be,” Yuri laughs, brushing it off casually. “I shouldn’t have done that and it won’t happen again. I promise,” she pledges, holding a hand over her heart and leaving the other in the air. “I swear I’ll be good. Sorry again.”

Laughing at the girl’s strange nature, Jessica huffs out a small smile. “Apology accepted.”

“Okay, cool. We’re okay then, right? It’s not gonna be awkward sleeping in the same room?”

“Just don’t pounce on me,” Jessica quips.

Yuri laughs out loud. “I promise I won’t. I’ll get my hormones under control,” she laughs whilst winking.

Yikes. That wink sets Jessica back on edge with her roommate’s flirty nature. She quickly changes to something else that has been bothering her for weeks now. “Hey, can I ask you something?”

“Sure?” Yuri replies as she takes a seat on her bed, crossing her legs under her.

Jessica mirrors the action on her bed. “Do you know what the deal is between Tiffany and Taeyeon?”

“The deal between them?” Yuri laughs. “Taeyeon’s cr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter