Chapter 19

Voicemails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Whoa!” Daehyun exclaimed in shock, surprised when the door to the little boat hut slammed open and Hwayoung came running in. "Damn lady, you want to be a football player or something?" He joked, jabbing at her frantic speed. 

“Hey, Hwayoung. Did you need something?” Yongguk immediaterly pulled himself away from his work and asked. 

“She probably needs a boat.” Daehyun interjected and stated the obvious because duh, why else would someone go into a boat rental shack?

“Can I hide here?”

“Or not.” Well, he stood corrected. He supposed, according to this lady, there were other reasons to come into a boat rental shack.

“What?” Yongguk furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, very much concern at why his friend, an adult, had the need to hide. “Are you okay?”

“I just need a place to hide.” Hwayoung pleaded in a frenzy while looking behind her, worried that Kris would catch up with her soon. “Please.”

“Hey, if you're in danger, we can help." Yongguk hadn’t know this girl for very long but from the short amount of time he’s spent with her, he highly valued her friendship. And Yongguk was very much known in this town as a soft-hearted soul and the ones that witnessed that the most were his friends. If he had a friend in need, he was more than willing to do something to help them.

“I really, really just need to hide.” She repeated. Kris could catch up with her any minute now and she wasn’t interested in a reunion with the man. “I'll explain to you later, Yongguk.”

Seeing that Hwayoung was panicking, he asked no more and nodded towards the back door. “Um, you can go in the back.”

“Thank you. I owe you.” She quickly rushed back after her last words, running passed a confused  Yongguk and a perplexed Daehyun. She slammed the door shut and slid down to the floor, breathing in and out deeply to calm her breaths.

       

Why now? Hwayoung was finally getting used to living on her own again, regaining her independent nature. Why was it, when things were going well in her life, did someone have to come in and ruin it? She wanted to be done with Kris, she was determined to erase him out of her life, yet he suddenly shows up. She knew what Kris wanted but Hwayoung wasn’t going to give in. She wanted to live selfishly for herself. For her child and no one else. 

 

 

“Hwayoung!” Just minutes after the holder of the yelled name had disappeared into the backroom, Kris barreled his way through the tiny hut, much like someone did earlier, desperate to catch his wife. But once he was inside, he couldn't see a trace of her, only making eye contact with two very confused guys.

“Hello. Can I help you?” Yongguk politely greeted, discreetly checking the intruder out, seeing what sort of danger he could be bringing since Hwayoung was running away from him. At first glance, and to be honest, this man looked like nothing but a rich guy from the city. And if Yongguk were to pin stereotypes on people, he would say this man perfectly embodied the cold city type but he wasn't going to let looks fool him. He must be danger if someone was running from him. 

 

“Did a girl just run in here?” Kris demanded, saving the courtesy and friendliness aside. He wasn't interested in making small talk unless it was about his wife. Not only did he want to bring her back home with him but he also wanted to make sure she was okay. He saw how broken the sidewalks and pathways were here and he saw how sharp the rocks looked on coast along with how harsh the waves were hitting the shores. Kris had to know that Hwayoung wasn't hurt in anyway.

“Nope.” Yongguk shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. “So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter