Chapter 16

Voicemails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hwayoung #11

 

It was just like any normal day for Yongguk in his simple, average life. He worked at his boat shack for a couple of hours, repairing, cleaning, and renting out boats before shutting it down for the afternoon. And like any other day, after leaving work, he would go around town to track his friends down and spending the rest of the day with his buddies. To some, his daily routine was boring and some might even think mundane but to Yongguk, this was his life and he loved it.

 

Yongguk continued his journey down a rather broken sidewalk, the town's old age showing in its architecture and land, walking pass family owned coffee shops, pizzerias, and clothing boutiques. It was when he was walking pass the one and only, and as far as he could tell, ancient library that he halted his brisk stroll. 

 

There was one thing, or he should say one person, that had disrupted his routine life in one of the best ways possible. And that person was his neighbor. Yongguk wasn’t gonna lie, his first impression of the girl wasn't all that positive, seeing her cry mountains of tears before seeing her again eating bowls and bowls of food and ice cream. He didn’t know what to think of her then but then they continuously met by chance and after getting to know Hwayoung, Yongguk found that he liked her company and even though they’ve only known each other for a short amount of time, they had a lot in common.

 

So when he saw his new favorite company, he just had to say hi, even if spending time with Hwayoung meant he’d be late to meeting his friends. Pushing through the creaking double doors of the library, Yongguk sent the old librarian manning the front desk a smile before making his way over to the girl. Once he was in front of her, he cleared his throat to catch her attention. Hwayoung looked up from her book and her eyes rounded in surprise. 

 

“Hi, Hwayoung.” He greeted sweetly like always, sending her the most charming of smiles. 

“Hi, Yongguk.” The young woman returned the amicable greeting, marking a stop to her book before giving the man before her, her full attention. “What are you doing here?” From the short period they've known each other and from their now regular morning talks, she had found out that Yongguk wasn't a huge bookworm so to see him here was amazing. 

“I walked by and I saw you.” The deep-voiced man pulled out a chair and sat down, scooting close to his new friend. “Do you always spend hours in the library?” He recalled her saying that she was a forming teacher during one of their morning talks and whenever he ran into her lately, she was always carrying stacks of books around.

“I like reading. It's calming and you learn a lot.” She explained to the bored looking man. “Any other reason why you showed up? I'm sure we would have seen each later.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter