Nightmare

My Love Story (ACW Sequel)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*6 years later, after the last chapter of A Contract Wife.

 

Busan 

Apartment

 

“Kim Yu Ri! You have to remember what you did to me today. I hope you won’t regret with your decision… because… even if you do, I’ll never forgive you. Never!”

“No… no… NO!”

Kim Yu Ri shouted as she sat bolt upright in her small single size bed, gasping heavily and ragged. A loud growl of thunder brought her eyes to the window in her room and saw the darkness outside covered by heavy rain. She wiped away the cold sweat glistening on her forehead before she slowly lie down on her bed again. Pressing a hand against her chest, she can still feel her heart thundering and her breathing came in tiny, frantic gasp.

Nightmare… she had the same nightmare again, the same nightmare that she had for the past two years. She had it almost every night especially on a rainy day like tonight. This was the nightmare that she felt cold spreading to her whenever it came to haunt her with or without raining. No matter how hard she tried to forget and force herself not to think about it, but that night… that stormy night… will never stop appearing on  her mind.

Two years… why can’t she let go and forget about it after two years? That incident, his face, his expression, the pain and hatred in his eyes, it’s all still fresh in her memory.

Yu Ri let out an exaggerated sigh as she forced her eyes shut. And after a while, a single tear slowly rolled down her face.

“Lee Hyun Jun… I love you…”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

Busan

Light House Orphanage

 

“You came so early today.”

Yu Ri turned to the familiar voice and saw the smiling old nun walking towards her. Looking at the wrinkles on her face, Yu Ri felt a pang in her heart. The person that love her whole heartedly when no one did has really aged a lot. This shows that how time flies cruelly.

“Today is my off day. The café is close today.” She said as she put down the cloth that she was helping the children to fold and gently help Sister Annie to sit down on one of the bed in the children’s room.

“So, how was your job interview last week?” Sister Annie asked.

Yu Ri let out a small and weak smile. “Not too well I guess. They didn’t call me back.”

“Maybe… they just need more time to evaluate.” Sister Annie said with a warm smile as she took her hand into hers and gave her a light squeeze.

Yu Ri know the old woman is just trying to make her feel better. With a deep sigh, she shook her head. “I know my qualification doesn’t suit their requirement at all. I just have a diploma from high school while they are so many candidates there that holds a degree. I should be grateful that they are still willing to meet me up and give me a chance to try.”

Sister Annie heaved a deep sigh. “It was all my fault. I shouldn’t have agreed when you rejected the couple that want to adopt you eight years ago. If I insist, your life will be totally different now.”

“Sister Annie…” Yu Ri held her hand back. “It wasn’t anyone’s fault. I rejected the adoption because I don’t want to move to Seoul. I want to stay in Busan, stay in Light House Orphanage, stay with the children here and stay with Sister Annie.” She looked into Sister Annie’s eyes and gave her an assured smile. “I’m happy and never once regret for rejecting the adoption. You all are my family and Light House Orphanage is my home. I don’t want to go anywhere.”

“But…” Sister Annie interjected and sadness evident in her eyes. “… you give up too much for this family, this home. Because of me, because you want to take care of this old woman, you sacrifice yourself.”

“We don’t use the word ‘sacrifice’ on family.” Yu Ri smiled again. “I just know… whatever I did… it was the right thing to do.”

“Then why did you move out from Light House Orphanage?” Sister Annie asked. She has been asking her the same question for the past two years but Yu Ri never give her the real answer. “If you treat this as your home, then why did you move out and rent an apartment outside? You still come here every day, then might as well you just stay here. Why wasting money renting a place outside?” 

Yu Ri held her gaze low and bit her lower lip softly. “Because… I’m already over 18 years old. This is the rule. Whenever the orphan reach 18 years old, they have to leave the orphanage.”

“Yes, this is the rule but I’ve never follow the rule. I give everyone the freedom to stay or leave. The only rule I have is they have to find a job and have the ability to make a living even though they stay here. As you said, we are all family. Family will not kick family out from home.” Sister Annie paused as she narrowed her eyes. “Unless… you want to cut all ties with Lee…”

“Sister Annie.” Yu Ri cut her off abruptly. She doesn’t want to hear his name. Because when she does, it felt like the wound in her heart will be re-opened again.

Sister Annie let out another deep sigh. Looking at Yu Ri’s expression, she know her guesses was right. “You moved out because this place is supported by Lee Min Ho. And the person you want to completely cut ties is his son… Lee Hyun Jun.”

Yu Ri shut her eyes close and inhaled a deep breath.

“What actually happened to Hyun Jun and you?” Sister Annie asked. “Both of you were so in love and everything was still okay when you went to Seoul two years ago. I can’t believe when you told me that you have broken up with Hyun Jun when you came back the next day after your birthday. Everything changed when you came back to Busan. And since then, Hyun Jun has never been here again.”

Two years ago…

Yu Ri bit her lip harder when she heard the words ‘two years ago’. Yes, she broke up with Hyun Jun on the night of her 18 years old birthday night two years ago.

“Sister Annie…” Yu Ri spoke after trying hard to regain her composure. “Don’t worry about me. I’m happy with my life now. Although I haven’t get to find a permanent job yet but I have a part time job in the café and the pay is enough for living. I move out… I move out because I want to be more independent and have some privacy.” She tried to assure Sister Annie and prevent bringing Hyun Jun up in the conversation.

“But…”

“Sister Annie!”

A loud voice cut Sister Annie’s sentence and a pair of arms suddenly wrapped around her old and weak body. Her lips immediately pressed together as she knows the owners of those arms.

“Kang Min Hyuk, let go!”

“Yes, Madam!” Min Hyuk immediately let go of Sister Annie and stood at the side like a kid waiting for his punishment. A cheeky smile spread across his lively face.

“You…” Sister Annie shook her head and sighed, totally helpless at his mischievous attitude. “You always come in at the wrong timing.” She continued angrily.

“Wae?” Min Hyuk asked innocently. “What little secret are you sharing with Yu Ri again? Sister Annie, you are so bias. I’m also your son and family of Light House Orphanage. But why you only care and worrying of Yu Ri? I need love too.” He said with pouted lips.

Sister Annie glared at him as her hand hit his chest softly. “You little rascal.”

“Ok, is my bad.” Min Hyuk laughed and gently helped Sister Annie up from her seat at the same time. “Whatever little secret you want to share with her, do it after you eat. Lunch is ready, my queen.”

Sister Annie caressed her stomach the moment he mentioned about lunch. It was already lunch time now? No wonder she felt hungry. “What did you cook today?”

“You will surely love it. All your favourites.” Min Hyuk smiled. “You know how good my cooking skill is. If not I won’t be so popular in Busan University…” He paused with another cheeky smile before he ended his sentence with the last word. “… cafeteria.”

Min Hyuk is not studying in Busan University but work as a cook in the cafeteria there. He is a very good cook and was also an orphan that live in Light House Orphanage like Yu Ri. But compared to Yu Ri, he only came in when he was 10 years old after both his parents died in a car accident. It was really hard for him at that time but luckily he met Yu Ri here. She was always there for him like an angel. And also because of her company, he was able to overcome the hardest time in his life. To him, Yu Ri is a very important person. He will do anything for her. But… he was late. When he met her 10 years ago, her heart was already taken by someone.

After Sister Annie went out to take her lunch, the room only left Yu Ri and Min Hyuk. Yu Ri continued to fold the remaining pile of clothes as Min Hyuk took a seat on the bed too, staring at her meaningfully.

“Next week is your birthday. What are you planning to do?” Min Hyuk asked after a while, breaking the deafening silence.

Yu Ri’s hands stilled and her action stopped altogether when she heard the word ‘birthday’. Yes, next week is her 20 years old birthday. in a deep breath, she shook her head without looking up at Min Hyuk. “Stay at home doing nothing. I hate birthday.”

Of course, he sighed. By right everyone should be happy and excited about their birthday, but except her. He know exactly the reason why she hates it. That day reminds her about the incident two years ago. For her, birthday is like a sin. If can, she will try to avoid and not to mention about it at all.

“Do you regret it?” Min Hyuk asked after a long while, staring at her intently.

Yu Ri bit her lip, her hands fisted so hard in the cloth she was folding. She felt that pang of painful memories surging through her chest. That man, that voice… it’s still so clear and fresh in her mind.

“Looking at this file, I’m sure you know what to do next. If you really love him, you should know what is the right thing to do.”

Regret? She laughed silently. Does she even qualify to regret at all? The only thing that she should feel regret is why she didn’t realize that both of them were living in two different world from the very beginning. Falling in love with him was a mistake.

“No.” Yu Ri answered, her voice is soft but very firm. She slowly looked up and met his gaze. Her eyes clouded with sadness and another emotion that Min Hyuk doesn’t understand.

“I don’t regret it.” She continued with a soft smile. “It was the right thing to do.” She assured him… and assured herself at the same time.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Seoul

Hanyang University

 

“Okay, I’ll end th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter