thirty-ninth!

s*ckerpunch!

A/N: double update plz read chap before this first! 


 

There are too many rooms on the second floor.

 

    I skulk in the shadows, appraising the multitude of corridors and doors and hallways that lay before me. Which way do I go? How do I find Mr. Kim’s study?

 

    Suddenly, I feel my phone buzz by my side.

 

    Himchan: WHAT HTE IS WRONG WITH TYOU WHAT THE ACTUAL

 

    I wince.

 

    Another message comes from him.

 

    Himchan: U DIDNT EVEN TAKE CAM OR MIC OR ANYTHING YOU JUST NEKNOCKED OUT ZELO AND LEFT??? WHAT HTE UFKC

 

    Lia: im ing sorry but get byg + hwang + cops here

 

    Himchan: why

 

    Lia: something’s going to happen

 

    Lia: hurry

 

    A sudden noise coming from the left corridor startles me. I quickly dash behind a wall, peek out from behind the corner.

 

    “...new investor plan’s going to blow ‘em all out of the water,” a deep voice chuckles.

 

    A pair of men are striding towards the staircase, wine glasses in hand. They are old- maybe in their fifties or sixties- with tailored black suits and confident gaits.

 

    “Joonmyeon’s even more capable than his father was,” the other man says, and my stomach jolts. “What an intelligent boy. Our stock’s gone up threefold since he started managing the company.”

 

    “I don’t even know why he’s still in school. He could quit. Apparently, he doesn’t even publicize the fact that he runs KCC.”

 

    Their voices begin growing fainter as they move farther and farther away. “Maybe he has someone special there...,”

 

    I swallow down the lump growing in my throat and head in the direction they came from. Did they leave from an office? A meeting room?

 

    A light at the end of the hallway catches my eye; in the next moment, a group of men and women emerge from the door.

 

    Crap!

 

    In a flash, I throw open the nearest door I can find and hurry inside. My heart pounds furiously in my chest as I hear voices pass by the room I am in, and then finally fade away.

 

    Breathe, Hyo.

 

    Wait.

 

    What room is this?

 

    I pull my mini flashlight out of my pocket and switch it on. There is a large mahogany desk, stacked with papers and multicolored folders. A portrait of Kim Sangyoon hangs on the left wall, adjacent to his college diplomas. The other wall is covered with bookshelves.

 

    Yes. This must be his office!

 

    Hurriedly withdrawing the same mic that I would have used to speak to Himchan (if he had known about this), I search for an inconspicuous location on Mr. Kim’s desk. Does he have a pencil holder I can place it into? Any permanent fixture?

 

    A framed photo near the center of his desk catches my eye.

 

    Kim Sangyoon is standing next to a tall, graceful-looking woman, while a boy and a girl flank their sides. I notice the little girl’s wide smile in an instant.

 

    Sora.

 

    I clip the mic against the back of the picture.

 

    It’s done.

 

    Now to head back to the first floor. I don’t want to go through the vents again, but-

 

    “-let me just go back in and grab it-,”

 

    The lights of the room flick on.

 

    I am frozen in place as the men whom I saw speaking earlier step into the room.

 

    For several moments, we all just stare at each other in shock.

 

    And then one of the men hollers, “Intruder!

 

    ,” I hiss. I dart over to them and ram my fists into their faces before they can make any other noise. Please, please, let no one else have heard them-

 

    “Who is she?!” someone gasps.

 

    I turn. A whole mass of people in the room down the hall are gaping at me. Several of them have their phones to their ears.

 

    .

 

    I sprint downstairs as fast as my legs can carry me. The commotion behind me grows louder- I can hear shouts of “Security!” and “Catch her!” I zigzag through hallways, searching for a way I can get to the back of the house without entering any occupied rooms- maybe if I turn here-

 

    A team of muscled men clad in suits and earpieces storm towards me. I double back at a lightning fast speed and head the other way- no, there are people coming from there, too- I whirl around and sprint ahead. The music grows louder and I realize that I am approaching the ballroom.

 

    This is my only option. They won’t shoot with so many people around. I can try and lose them through the crowd or something.

 

    I burst through the double doors as quickly as I can- and then immediately realize I ed up. There are security guards stationed on the entire perimeter of the room. The instant they see me enter, they rush towards me. I shove past men shoveling their faces with foie gras and women waltzing around with their friends, drawing closer and closer to the center of the room. BTS, along with Kim Sangyoon and- my stomach lurches- Suho, are seated in the center of the ballroom.

 

When they see me, they all shoot up in surprise.

 

    “What is the meaning of this?” Kim Sangyoon roars, causing the people around him to jolt in surprise. “What is she doing here? Guards!

 

    I sprint over to him and, before Suho or BTS can intervene, hoist him up by the collar and hold my knife by his neck. A collective gasp rises from the party. The jazz musicians abruptly stop playing. The security guards moving towards me with their guns raised freeze in place. The room grows deathly quiet.

 

    And they said I wasn’t fun at parties.

 

    “If any of you move, I’ll slit his throat,” I snarl.

 

    “What the hell are you doing here?” Suho growls. His glare is so vicious it could cut diamond.

 

    I snort. “Didn’t you want me to come? Actually, I didn’t know what kind of mind games you were trying to play with that invitation. ‘We hope you will be there, Lia, although you will be shot on sight.’”

 

    Suho narrows his eyes. “What invitation? What the are you talking about?”

 

    My eyebrows shoot up. “Really. So you’re telling me you didn’t send that invitation?”

 

“You invited her?” Kim Sangyoon spits at Suho.

 

“Of course not. She’s out of her goddamn mind.”

 

“Then who invited her?!”

 

“I did,” a smooth voice says.

 

I freeze. Mr. Kim tenses below me.

 

The crowd parts as Sora walks towards us, utterly calm. There is a steely look in her eyes that I never thought she would be capable of possessing.

 

Sora,” I whisper.

 

“Sora, what are you talking about?” Mr. Kim asks. “What are you doing?”

 

    She smiles up at her father.

 

“Getting revenge.”

 

Everyone in the room watches with bated breath as Sora steps into the center of the room.

 

“Kim Sangyoon, the man who you thought was a respectable politician, is a corrupt man who works with companies like Korea Construction Company to gain profit from gangsters,” she announces in a booming voice. The room fills with murmurs. Suho is not moving, but his face is utterly white.

 

Meanwhile, Mr. Kim has practically gone limp in my arms.

 

“I could tell you everything he’s done,” Sora says. “All the criminal acts, murders, ion rings, gangs. Or you could look at all the documents proving what he’s done on WikiLeaks in a few hours, when they go live. But why don’t I let him explain himself?”

 

She turns to Jimin. “Do it.”

 

The other members of BTS- especially Taehyung, who looks like he is debating whether to punch Jimin in the face or faint into Hoseok’s arms- stare at Jimin as he points a remote to the speaker system in the corner.

 

    An arrogant voice echoes through the room.

 

    Finally, Sora. I knew you weren’t like your weak brother. That bastard thought he was so much better than me until that Kim Lia put a bullet through his brain.”

 

    Oh.

 

My.

 

God.

 

    Sora recorded her father speaking to her.

 

    And for the next ten minutes, every single person in the room listens to him rave about what a criminal genius he is. Why he had to arrange Sora’s marriage to Taehyung (“The er’s like a monkey. He was controlled by the thought of ing you. That’s how the poor, low-class people are. All they think about is breeding.”) How he and Joonmyeon were entitled to all this money, because everyone else was too stupid to figure out what they were doing.

 

    Oh, and a lot about me. But what he said is way too vulgar for me to repeat here.

 

    I “accidentally” nick his neck at one point.

 

    He should be grateful I didn’t slit his throat completely.

 

    The recording isn’t even over when an entire squadron of Seoul’s finest barge into the ballroom, dressed in dark blue suits and wielding guns. Yongguk, Officer Hwang, Zelo, and Himchan head the group. A team of officers hurry over to us and pull Mr. Kim from my grasp. They rapidly read him his rights in low voices as they handcuff him. They do the same with Suho and the rest of BTS. This feels absolutely surreal. Is this- is this actually happening?  

 

    “You are a braindead moron,” Himchan hisses in my ear. “I cannot believe you knocked Zelo out, came here by yourself-,”

 

    “That ing hurt, Lia,” Zelo mutters. A pang of guilt hits me as I see the bruise blossoming on his jaw.

 

    “How did all these cops get here so quickly?” I ask.

 

    “When you texted me, Yongguk and Hwang gathered up all the resources they had. Apparently, there are a lot of cops still loyal to Hwang, even though she isn’t a part of the police anymore. They weren’t technically gathered by her. They all just happened to be hanging around this place. At the same time.”

 

    “The police department is getting loads of tip-off calls right now, so they would’ve been sent here anyway,” Himchan shrugs. Suddenly, he spots Sora. His eyes widen.

 

    “So that’s V.” Yongguk clenches his fists so tightly his knuckles turn white. “Oh, man... it’s taking all my willpower not to go there and do exactly what he did to Chorong. That ing bastard... I’ll get my revenge when he’s locked up in prison for life.”

 

    Yongguk’s words cause a jolt to run through my body. The repercussions of what is about to happen hit me in the face.

 

    Holy . This is it. This is really it.

 

    I look at Suho.

 

    He stares back with a blank expression as he is handcuffed by the police.

 

    The voice recording finally finishes. The crowd is utterly silent. They do not know what to say. They do not know what to think.

 

    “How could you betray your own family?!” Kim Sangyoon shouts at his daughter. “You no-good - I thought you wanted to come back to apologize-,”

 

    “The only reason I came back was to get proof for this,” Sora says curtly. “I would’ve done this earlier, but I had to make sure Hyo was ready.”

 

    I blink. “W-Wait, what?”

 

    She an eyebrow. “I wanted to give you time to... wrap up loose ends.”

 

    My eyes widen as I look at her, and then at Suho, and then back at her again.

 

    “Anyway.” Sora crosses her arms. “We put in your invitation that you’d be shot on sight if you came here, Hyo, so that you’d stay hidden. But even then, we still didn’t know if you’d come tonight. So Jimin texted you and told you that I was here, which we knew would get you to come.”

 

    I jerk back as if I have been slapped in the face.

 

    “This whole thing wasn’t supposed to happen anyway,” Sora sighs. “You were just supposed to be here to watch what happened when we took them down. I wanted you to get the satisfaction.”

 

    I say the only thought I am capable of formulating right now:

 

“What?”

 


A/N: its 1:47 am and i have an 8 am tmorrow morning lmao im so ed. whatevs tho im on SUCH a writing roll!! for some reason its a weird pattern with me, like whenever i start a story i WILL finish within like 6-8 months, no matter how much i binge write near the beginning/how many months i have writers block for (if that makes sense.... idk).   

 

btw. if u see in the news about a young conservatives group at a university that had an anti-affirmative action bake sale, just know. unfortunately. that is my university. but hey creds i saw the protests in real life they were kickass it was awesome. someone stole the young conservatives' cookies LMFAO it was a show.