α My Pet Peeves as an Applicant

Beneath the Story: Tips and Guides to Apply Fics
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

  My Pet Peeves as an Applicant   

Throughout the years of me applying for apply fics, i've encountered different authors and different apply fics. I'd be lying if I say I wasn't irritated at any of those authors or apply fics, and that none of those apply fics turned me off. So, here are my pet peeves as an applicant.

1. Authors with bad grammar and bad writing style, and are not willing to be corrected by others. Contrary to some might think, grammar is a big part of writing. Even if your native language isn't english, fact is you're still writing in english. Working hard to have a better grammar won't hurt. I get it, it's not that easy and it takes time. I usually have a large amount of patience when it comes to bad grammars in stories, but when I see one of the readers/applicant correct them and they get mad is a huge turn off or when they say to not correct them or something and uses the "English is not my native language" thing. I immediately click the unsubscribe button when I see the authors like that. These days, i've been seeing a lot of authors who are open to being corrected. To those authors, I salute you for being open to learning and for your courage in writing in a language different from yours.

2. Authors who take the best plotlines for themselves. It's a given fact that authors will have some sort of favoritism in their characters, but once it's too obvious, it's a huge turn off. Everyone has different opinions and different choices when it comes to plotlines. The authors i'm talking about is those where it's so evident that they thought about their plotline so much and half or fully assed all the other plotlines. Authors should give equal importance and specialties to the plotlines, not make the other plotlines a sidekick or a side character. Heck! Even side characters have things special and interesting about them.

3. Authors who already have a personality/background/stuff in mind for a plotline and are not open to something different from what they planned. "Oh my God! I love your application! It was everything I had in mind for *insert plotline here*. You are now chosen!" Seriously, if you already had planned out most of the things for an applicant, why open it for others to put a personality, background, trivia, etc. then not choose them in the end because they don't match with the character you had in mind? I get it. While making a plotline, we authors/writes tend to imagine or plan out some things, but to solely base on your "plans" won't do. That's why you made an apply fic, to let others create different characters with different personalities and different backgrounds. What about those who have awesome applications, but you won't choose them anyway because their characters aren't exactly what you had in mind. If you have a preferred scene, background, or personality, put it in the cheatsheet so everyone has at least a fair chance at being accepted, or better yet, just take that plotline for yourself or don't open it for applying. Of course, it's quite normal to have at least some things in mind for other plotlines as well. But an author should remember to focus on the pros and cons of the application itself and how it fits the story and plotline, not on the similiarities it has with their exact vision of that character.

4. Authors who have TOO MANY apply fics on going. Seriously, how do you write all of that story and will all of those characters and every little stuff about them. Chances are, that author will just discontinue some of their apply fics which may go on and on and on and on and on, and the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter