The First Snow

12.12.36

12.12.36 - Chapter 1 


December 12th, 2015

“Do you miss her?”

Jongin put his arms behind his head and stared at the ceiling. Sehun asked him the same question every year on the same day, on December 12th. “I do.” He whispered. “Of course I do.”

“It’s been 79 years.” Sehun mumbled. They were in the living room after a long day of work, he was sitting on the counter and Jongin was on the couch. Out of all the days in the year, this day was always the quietest. It was the anniversary of the vampire hunting that took place in 1936; all the humans joined forces and decimated most of the vampire clan. No one saw it coming- it took years of planning and dissimulation, the humans were so secretive, so deceiving, so sly.  They seemed as if they were happy with coinciding with vampires, which was not the case.

 

Sehun sighed and thought back to the day it happened, Jongin had just come back from hunting when he saw the village in ashes. Sehun too barely escaped it; he missed the explosion by an inch. After a power plant meltdown, the humans gathered all their efforts together to bury the nuclear waste in a nearby piece of open land. It was as if they knew the vampires were moving there. The meltdown occurred years ago before it exploded, the immortals stayed in that area without knowing of the nuclear waste that was slowly leaking out beneath them.

When it reached its breaking point, all the radiation built up from beneath the ground and with a little aggravation, it exploded. It blew the village up into ashes, it took seconds for it to happen and no one saw it coming.

Jongin walked into the explosion as it happened, he watched his one true mate disappear right before his eyes. Sehun was one of the younger vampires; he stood on a peak of a mountain a few feet away and watched the plethora of smoke expand right before his eyes.

 

“Why did you like her so much? I’m talking about Mina, Lee Mina.”

Jongin closed his eyes. “I don’t know.” He mumbled. “The elders introduced me to her when we were mere babies; they said we were meant to be. Maybe it’s because we were born a day apart, but we always got along. We spent a lot of time together from our infant days to our adulthood. I saw her mature into a beautiful woman, Sehun. Mina stuck by my side through everything…I wish I was able to tell her but…I think I love her, Sehun. I think I do.”

“Did she think the same?”

Jongin covered his face. “I hope she did.” He shook his head. “I wish Mina was still with me because then I could complain to her about everything. I hate living, Sehun.”

“Why?”

“It’s extremely lonely living in a world full of humans when you’re the only one without a heartbeat. It’s a dark and desolate place to me, I hate being in the same building as my coworkers. I hate standing there while they flip through textbooks and cross out pictures and names of us in disgust… I hate seeing my students talk vampires, I hate pretending that I’m human.”

Sehun looked at him. “Why did you choose to be a teacher then?” He looked at the marbled counters. “Why didn’t you stick with the army?”

“It defeated the purpose of trying to coincide with humans. For the longest time I held a gun up towards a living being while my fellow soldiers stood by me. They tried to ease the horrors of war by telling me things like ‘at least it’s not a vampire’. How can I try to get along with them if my job was to kill them?”

Sehun stared blankly at the tessellated tiles on the floor. “…Did Mina want you to pursue education?”

Jongin turned away. “She used to like Suho, a lot. Suho was a teacher.” He mumbled.    

 

Sehun stole a glance at the only person he called ‘hyung’. Back in the day when he lived in the village, he was known as the disrespectful brat who didn’t know any better. It wasn’t his fault, he was abandoned as an infant- Sehun had no recollection of who his birth parents were. The village took him in but no one had the patience to raise a newborn vampire, he was on his own for most of his life until he reached maturity. He had no guidance and no one by his side, not until Jongin befriended him.

If you’re going to live forever…you might as well live happily. The younger sulked in silence. There was nothing he could do for Jongin; the one thing the vampire truly wanted was for his true mate to be alive. Sehun’s searched the world in the 79 years he’s been around after the hunting occurred, there was no one on Earth who resembled Mina; or at least he couldn’t find someone like her.

 

I’ll find Mina for you, hyung.

 

That’s how all the years went, the two were inseparable; they were two peas in a pod. Jongin was a high school home room teacher and Sehun was a football coach though most of the time they were confused as students as both vampires stopped aging after 24 years of age. All the days passed normally, they worked at the same school and came home together. The two shared a studio and seldom went out to hunt for animal blood during the night.

 

One day of the year was always left for mourning, a human would’ve moved on after 79 years but for someone who was an immortal being, it would take hundreds to forget.

Jongin sat up in his seat and pulled a hood over his head. He grabbed his phone and pushed himself off the couch. “I need to clear my head.” He mumbled.

 

Something stopped him that night; he walked and walked and walked until he came to a halt in the middle of a junction. He stood off to the side and looked around; the ice crystals were falling softly and dancing along to the rhythm of the winds.

 For some reason, the first snow of 2015 was unlike any other first snow. It was captivating, with his keen vampire senses, Jongin stared at each individual snowflake and calmly watched it fall. Then someone caught his eye, he brushed away all the frosted bits away from his vision and noticed a woman standing on the opposite side of the road. Cars breezed by between them and as if fate was playing with his feelings, Jongin froze. He couldn’t say a word or do anything his brain wanted him to do.

 

On the opposite side was a woman standing in the snow with her dog by her side, a big Alaskan husky whose bright blue eyes glowed in the dark. She was breathtaking.

 

On December 12th, 1936, Jongin lost his one true mate.

On December 12th, 2015, he found a carbon copy of her on the streets of Seoul. 


[a/n]: ahh! chapter one! idk if it's good or not lol but comments are much appreciated!

i came to write so i could relieve stress haha! thanks for reading! :)