Yuri : Helpless.

OF TEN THOUSAND I LOVE YOUS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6. Yuri : Helpless.

“Baby, will you clocking in for work today?”

From the reflection on the mirror in front of me, I could see Jessica watching the TV. Well, not exactly watching because her eyes were fixed at a spot few inches away from the screen. A remote was dangling from her hand, about to fall to the lush carpet without she actually realized it.

I sighed.

She did that a lot lately; drowning herself in her own thought. She would gaze away with this pain weighing her eyes. With that kind of sadness that made my heart broke into pieces.

It had been three months and she still could not let go.

There were times when she would try to hide her sadness from me, under the pillows, inside the bathroom, or out in the study. But it was so easy to see the remnant of tears in her eyes. She barely ate. She didn't talk much. And there was even this one time where I caught her sobbing over her sketches of baby clothes.

The miscarriage had changed my wife for the worst and I was so helpless about it.

I had tried everything in my prowess to pull her away from this endless hole of grieving. But the fact was she seemed so content of staying in the dark corner by her own. I couldn't even coax her to see a movie or to have a dinner in restaurant anymore. Jess was drowning in her own sadness, leaving me alone and confused on the shore.

I sighed for the second time. My silver tie seemed askew and I didn't think it matched my shirt well. My wife was the one who usually helped me with my tie. She used to get my working attires prepared on the bed every morning, best choices for the season in all matching colors.

I missed how she always reminds me to have lunch. I missed the way she kiss me lovingly before work. I missed teasing her while we watch TV Shows. But out of those sweet little things I missed from my wife, I missed her happy smile more.

“Baby,” I came to the couch, kneeling in front of her to get the fallen remote control. “Will you go to work today?”

“Huh?” Her eyes refocused on me.

“Do you want me to drive you to your office?”

“Office? No.” She shook her head, eyes on TV screen now. “I'm still not feeling well. I'll be working from home today. Do sketches and stuff.”

“Okay.”I set the remote on her lap, rising up and gave her a kiss on the forehead. “I'll try to be home for lunch. Don't forget to eat breakfast, alright? Our cook made awesome egg sandwiches today.”

She nodded, starting to press the button on the remote.

“I love you, Jess.” I stood there, waiting for a sign that my Jessica had back from her nightmare. “Take care.”

She looked up at me, not even the slightest hint of smile on her face. “I love you too.”

“This is crazy.” I smacked the papers onto the desk, pinching at the bridge of my nose. “Their request is outrageous.”

“I know.” Minho, not even flinched at my outburst, gathered the papers and put them back neatly into the folder. “I had tried to talk to them, but every proposal to rewrite the contract was batted out of the window immediately.”

“And you are my best negotiator.” I sighed, holding my head in two hands.

“Well, I know one negotiator better than me.” My best friend tilted his chin toward my direction.

A groan escaped me as I shook my head. A beginning of a migraine was pressing against my skull. “I can't leave. Not when Jessica is like this. She needs me.”

“Qatar is our best hope. We need fixed amount of LNG* supply for the next ten years, Yuri. We need this deal.”

“I'm not gonna choose business over my wife. I'd rather lose my company.”

Minho sighed, raking his hand through his thick hair. “She's not getting better, isn't she?”

I shook my head again.

“Have you tried to, you know, ask her friends and family to help?”

“You know I have. You were there when she completely shut Sooyoung out, right? She does the same to her other friends, even to her family. Her nephew is at my in-laws now and she breaks into tears every time she sees the kid. Not even her mom can't help.”

“I'm sorry I say this, but she seems to need professional help. A psychologist, maybe? Sooyoung and I agree that the loss Jessica has experienced might cause, you know, depression.”

“I'm a fool if I haven't tried to steer her that direction, Minho-yah. She refused. She said she's just tired and needs more time to rest. The only thing I haven't tried is dragging her by the feet out of our home.”

“Well. Maybe that's what she needs. A little show of force.”

“Are you suggesting me to hurt my wife, Choi Minho?” I stared at my best friend in disbelief.

“No. That came out wrong. I meant, Sooyoung told me of how the Jung sisters are used to get spoiled. How Jessica might not know much hardship in her life that when she lost her baby, she also lost her anchor of life. Maybe she needs someone, you, to be angry at her. To figuratively slap her out of her stupor.”

My migraine now came in full force. It felt lik

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter