Yuri : Dawn.

OF TEN THOUSAND I LOVE YOUS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 20. Yuri : Dawn.

Thirty two days after the accident found me in a meeting room. Unlike the meeting room I had in my office where I got total control of what would happen, this one felt more like a trap to me. It felt so small, so suffocating with the few people in white coat across the table.

There was a file folder on the table in front of me but I didn't feel like opening it. I knew I wouldn't like whatever was reported on those papers.

“From what I could gather from the data, the surgery for her spinal cord injury has been carried out successfully.” Dr. Benjamin Ghostine explained without even reading the notes in his open folder. His hair was all gray and there was some semblance of seniority in the eyes behind the thick sunglasses. Still I couldn't find comfort in the fact that he's the best neurosurgeon coming all the way from LA to help checking my wife's condition. “Herniated disks and fractured vertebrae that appear to be compressing the spine have all been fixed. The doctors here also have stabilized the spine to prevent future pain or deformity.”

“As you've probably been told by the doctors, the C7 vertebrae is associated with both the C7 and C8 spinal nerves. Jessica's C7 injury might result in tingling and numbness in the hands and fingers, as well as referred pain in the shoulder blade. The spinal nerves in C8 was not damaged but we can still expect some difficulty in movement of the legs, trunk, and hands, with patients maintaining shoulder and arm movement.”

“Can... can my daughter be completely healed?” My mother-in-law trembled in her question. “Can she walk again?”

“Full assessment of how far the injury affects the patients can only be done three to six months after the patient is fully awake.” With a comforting look that I had often received from other doctors, Dr. Ghostine explained to Jessica's mother. “The spinal cord injury was incomplete. It means there's a chance to preserve some motor or sensory function below the injury level. There are also many ways of rehabilitation and many means of medications that shall help Jessica continue her life with as few change as possible.”

Sooyoung who was sitting behind me touched my hand gently. “Yuri... do you have any question?”

I shook my head. Instead of what would be happening I was more interested on what was going on. His explanation was almost similar to what the doctors had told me after Jessica's spinal cord surgery.

“Jessica's Tibial shaft has the oblique fracture type.” Another doctor spoke as he pointed at the x-ray image mounted on the illuminated box on the wall. “We have installed these plates to kept the broken bone in place. Recovery will take some time but with proper therapy and rehabilitation, patient shall retain full movement of her leg in six months to one year.”

“If the spinal cord injury doesn't affect her ability to move her leg.” The neurosurgeon added rather mercilessly.

“Time and patience should make everything alright. I get it.” I finally let words out of my mouth. “Now tell me why my wife isn't awake yet?”

Before any of the experts present in the room could answer, I continued. “Some of you said that she would wake up once her sedative wear off after the spinal cord surgery. Some promised me that it was completely safe and necessary to fix her broken leg a few days after that. But why is my wife still unconscious? It's over a month already. Can someone tell me what is actually going on?”

I was calm. Every confusion and anger I felt was wrapped well under the surface. Thirty two days of waiting had taught me so. But there was a question drilling my mind right now. A question that I was afraid to ask yet I had to get out of my system for the sake of my own sanity.

“Is this permanent? Will she ever wake up?”

My mother-in-law gasped. I could tell that in this room, the people who knew my wife personally, were all gawking at me. It was a question probably haunted every member of our extended family, but none of them was brave enough to put it into words.

I needed to know for sure. I didn't use my power and connection to gather experts in this room for vague explanation. Just like in my meeting room at the office, I wanted fixed numbers, specific details of why, how and when.

“Based on the CT Scan, the trauma to her head is not severe enough to warrant a coma.” Another doctor took over. “However, at 5 on Glasgow Coma Scale, Jessica sometimes provides inconsistent motor responses to given stimulation but yet to regain full consciousness.”

There. They finally laid the word out. A coma. The corner of my eyes caught my mother-in-law's shocked expression but I felt no regret. The sooner we knew the fact, the easier for us to deal with it.

“To be honest, it's a condition where we can't quite put a finger on.” The doctor nodded at doctor Ghostine, probably asking for support. “She's not supposed to be in a coma but we can't get her to wake up too.”

“The thing is, in the three days I've spent to examine the patient and monitoring her brain activity, I've found her brain activity to resemble patient who falls into a deep sleep instead of a patient who falls into a coma. ” Doctor Ghostine kept his eyes on mine. I knew he's anticipating more questions from me. “If you're looking for a term, vegetative state is not correct either because her brain activity is more complex than those who fall into vegetative state.”

“I'm looking for reason, for numbers. If she's asleep, why doesn't she wake up with all the stimulation the doctors have given? Is she's in a coma, what can I do to wake up her up? When will she wake up?”

“The responses given were weak and inconsistent, Mr. Kwon. Trust me, all the doctors here have done every recommended treatment to help your wife regain consciousness. Every person is different. There are no exact measurement could be taken to determine when and how your wife will wake up. At this point I suggest you continue the current treatment to heal all her injuries first.”

“Will taking her to another hospital help? A more modern facility such as yours in LA? Isn't staying unconscious for too long will do her more harm?” The doctors that belonged to this hospital were definitely eyeing me at the moment. I had indirectly questioned their capability. I didn't care. I wanted to make sure that my wife would get the best.

“From my point of view, there's nothing much you can do at the moment but wait. Technology and medical team can only help as far when it's come to injury that impacted nerves system. Human's brain is still a deep mystery despite the many researches done in the field.”

“Waiting.” I huffed the air from my lungs, disappointed at the fact that the best neurosurgeon I could find couldn't even perfectly describe what was actually going on.

“Recovery is not impossible. I met patients with worst conditions before, people who have managed to get back to their life with minimal changes after a long state of unconsciousness.”

The rest of the doctors nodded. I gave the room a once-over before standing up, offering my hand to Dr. Ghostine. “Thank you for helping me so readily, Doctor.”

“My pleasure, Mr. Kwon. I promise I'll help monitoring your wife even from afar. I'm sure my fellows practitioners in this hospital won't mind sharing their observation with me. Together we can learn further from this case which in turn wil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter