Yuri : Gladiolus

OF TEN THOUSAND I LOVE YOUS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 10. Yuri : Gladiolus.

The quietness of our house scared me. My heart thumped in my chest because I had been trying to reach Jessica by the phone while driving here but she didn't answer.

“Is my wife at home?” Without preamble, I asked the maid who was hauling the laundry basket across the living area.

“I don't know. Yuri-ssi. I've just came an hour ago from grocery shopping.”

Since the miscarriage, I had personally asked the maid and the cook to come more often to our place, especially when I wasn't at home. Jessica didn't really like having other people around but I had insisted. I wanted more people around her when I couldn't be by her side. I didn't want her to feel alone and helpless again.

I had had never thought that it was me who could be the source of her helplessness. If only I had been more careful at the party, Kangin wouldn't even have a chance to plot such a menacing lie. If only I wasn't such an idiot, Jessica wouldn't be hurt.

“Baby.” I open the door to our room, preparing myself for the worst.

Vases of flowers were on the bedside tables and the vanity. I recognized them as the flowers that should have been the beautiful mark of our seventh anniversary.

“Jess....” I came to bed. Jessica was lying on her side. A stem of green gladiolus was there by the pillow not too far away from the tips of her fingers. She had her blouse, and her jeans on, not her usual sleeping attire. “Baby, are you sleeping?”

I turned her body gently to face me, feeling her arm warm to my touch and somehow felt grateful for the sign of life.

“Hey...” Her eyes fluttered open. “You're home.”

“Yes... I am.” I helped her sat on the bed, somehow losing my ability to form a sentence. I waited with bated breath for her reaction, bracing myself for storm of anger and tears.

“I've missed you.” She wrapped her hands around my neck, pulling me close then gave me a peck on the cheek. “You mean so much to me, Yul.”

Then came another kiss, on my lips, long and sweet.

She sighed slowly after pulling away, turning to pick the gladiolus from the bed. “I'm sorry I have been nothing but a selfish companion through the seven years we've spent as husband and wife.”

“Jess...”

She looked up and I knew she was trying to hold back tears. When her eyes fell upon mine again there was this strong determination in them. The kind I had never seen before and it scared the hell out of me.

“I'm willing to let you go, Yul. I understand.”

“What?”

““I'm sorry I'm not capable of giving you what you want any sooner. I know you'll be a good father to the baby Hara is carrying. Congratulations.”

The sad smile on her face as she caressed my cheek, her glassy eyes, and her choice of words all broke my heart at once. My hands somehow went around her. Never had I ever felt this much of adoration toward someone before. I hugged her tight, still couldn't say anything.

“I have contacted our lawyer. He'll handle everything immediately. We need to keep media out of this so it should be done quietly. We have no prenup signed but I have no demand either so the divorce should go fairly quick.”

“Divorce?” The fact that she even had the thought of getting a divorce shocked me. I held her at arm length, silently questioning her.

“Yes, divorce.” She closed her eyes briefly and I knew how hard it was for her to utter that one word. “You need to marry Hara, Yul. The baby needs you. I can't imagine Hara be with Kangin any longer while she's pregnant. That man is not a good man.”

“Kangin is a bastard alright. He made up this whole thing to frame me and my family.”

“What?”

“Hara's not pregnant with my child. My mother have just made it clear a few moments ago.”

“She's not? What about the hotel room? The picture?”

“He even showed you picture? That . I should have beat him more, let him meet his death.”

“You beat Kangin?” Jessica's eyes were filled with concern now, her hand went to check my face. “Did you guys get into a fight? Did he hurt you?”

“He didn't get a chance to hurt me. At least not physically.” I sighed. “Mother challenged Hara with DNA Test and she backed down. Kangin was so mad he almost beat her.”

“So, Hara's not pregnant with your child?”

“No. I didn't even touch her. She said herself that I passed out cold that night.”

Jessica stared at me for a while. Then she blinked, once, twice before covering her face with her hands.

“You can ask Hara yourself if you want. She's at my parents' place now.”

“I thought.... I was.... oh my God, Yul.”

I took her into my arms as she cried. Gone was the facade of strong woman that proposed a divorce a while ago. She was back to this fragile Jessica who easily fell into tears. My hands rubbed her back as her shoulders shook. I kissed her temple, I kissed her cheek, trying to comfort my hurting wife.

“I had cried myself to sleep the other night. Thinking that this was the end of us.” She looked up at me, wiping her tears away. “If I hadn't talked to Youngae unnie. If I hadn't told myself to think clearly. I would have...”

She couldn't even finish her sentence, my poor baby.

“Hey.... It's okay now. It's all good.” I hugged her closer “I'm sorry for being so stupid, Jess. If I didn't-”

She silenced me with a kiss, hugging me even tighter. “Let's just... forget about this.”

I lay on the bed, bringing Jessica with me. We faced each other on the bed now, exchanging silence for a moment before she spoke again.

“This has been tiring, hasn't it?”

“I'm sorry you have to go through this stupid drama, baby.” I tucked a strand of hair that had fallen to her face.

“No. I meant these past few months.”

I sighed, knowing exactly what she meant. But I believed that things had turned for the best. A few months ago, Jessica wouldn't have been so calm and collected at the rumors of my infidelity. I knew she would have stormed on me or got extremely depressed it would have been hell to get her happy again. She was a lot more mature now and our relationship had grown into another level. We were both stronger now.

“I want to stay happy from this point forward.” She declared, smiling a little.

“Me too.” I kissed her forehead. “But let's start with a good sleep first. I'm so tired, baby.”

“Let me change my clothes first. I just got back from a long session with Youngae unnie. I smell.”

“I don't care.” I tugged at her hand when she tried to get out of the bed. “Sleep. Now.”

My wife sighed but lay by my side anyway. I rested my hand on her thigh, spooning her as I yawned. “Love you, Jess.”

“Love you more.”

I woke up to an empty bed, feeling significantly relaxed after a long nap. The Gladiolus was still on the bed and I could tell that it was starting to wilt.

Relationship worked like flower too, a great care and constant nurture was needed to keep the bloom. Now that we were at our seven years mark, I knew that the road ahead wouldn't be all easy. But I promised myself that I would give my 110% to this marriage. That I wouldn't let any problems deterred me from loving my wife.

“Hey, Jongkook hyung.” I made a call as I started to divest myself from my clothes. “Have I thanked you for delivering those beautiful flowers to my wife?”

“As a matter of fact, you have. I just received the news from my accountant, the fund for the expansion of my flower farm has arrived safely to the company's account.”

“Hyung, you know that's not what I meant. Your company deserves the fund for such a brilliant business proposal.”

Jongkook just laughed.

“Can I ask one more favor, Hyung? A rather big one this time?”

“Name it.”

I entered the bathroom as I arranged a plan with the florist. I would make up for the heartache my wrongdoing had brought to my wife.

Tonight, I'd show her my love in the most beautif

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter