chapter 3.

you know you love me

Park Chanyeol always had the burden of being second. Not that he could complain, really. In fact, he prefers it that way. Less spotlight on him but definitely more pressure. Because as everyone waited for Jimin to slip and fall from grace, everyone was eager for him to take over. It truly for those old geezers as he absolutely have no intention of doing so. Chanyeol at least has a sense of respect and pity for his cousin. Being the son of a 3rd generation's second son, Chanyeol bears the burden of being considered the replacement. If anything were to happen to his younger cousin, Jimin, then it would be his own family to take the glory. 

What his parents desired most was almost within their reach just a year ago but he never minded any of that bull. 

Whistling as he waltz into the Penthouse, Chanyeol twirled the keys to his jeep on his index finger. Compared to Jimin's rather straight laced personality, he on the other hand had much more freedom to enjoy himself to the fullest. But, that doesn't mean that he is safe from running errands for the Park family. One of those errands just happen to be fetching his runaway cousin and to bring him back to the devil's clutches. With a rhythm to his stride, he passed by the ballroom to his right where the staff were quickly putting everything together for brunch and then towards the elevator at the end of the hall, the private one that lead all the way up to the Penthouse where the owner of the residence was. 

The elevator opened up to a formal living room. The colours monochrome, all grey and whites, providing a cold façade to the place. The fireplace at the heart of the living room providing the only sense of colour and heat to the space. But while the room seemed devoid of life, he knew that the two best friends must be in the other living room. Turning right, he reached another door at the end of the hall and as he was about to knock, the door swung open to reveal an exhausted Jungkook. 

"God, you scared me," Chanyeol's deep voice rumbled. 

"Hey, hyung," Jungkook said meekly. The tiredness evident from his voice. 

"You good?" 

"Yeah, just lack of sleep. Jimin's out in the hallway by the way. I'll catch you later at brunch," Jungkook said as he passed the latter, practically dragging his feet back to the elevator. 

Chanyeol could only follow the kid with his gaze as he contemplates whether to give him a hand first or get his stupid chore over with. Concluding that Jungkook could most definitely handle himself, Chanyeol steps into the informal living room. One that had more colour and life into it with the mix match of rugs to the countless art murals on the walls. Kim Taehyung surely got taste. 

Chaneyol found his cousin with eyes that looked like he had seen a ghost. It didn't even register to Jimin that Chanyeol was standing right in front of him now. After waving a couple of times to grab Jimin's attention, Chanyeol took his cousin by his shoulders and shook him back to his senses. 

"Do you have any idea how inconvenienced I become whenever you disappear?" Chanyeol complains as Jimin finally looked up him, his eyes still unfocused. "Not only do I feel Aunt breathing down my neck, but Seulgi came by this morning to ask where you were too ." 

It was the mention of Seulgi's name that snapped Jimin's focus on Chanyeol instantaneously. Jimin ran a hand down his face as he realized that he walked out on Seulgi last night without any explanation. He felt like a scum.

Meanwhile, Chanyeol could only watch as his cousin struggle with that fact that Kang Seulgi was Jimin's girlfriend. It wasn't that he didn't see it coming, it was more like he didn't expect for them to last this long. Then again, sacrifices. 

"You better hurry if you don't want to be late for brunch," Chanyeol suggested before stepping into what seems to be the guest bedroom as soon as he caught a glimpse of Taehyung at the foot of room's bed. "Everything okay? I read from last night." 

Taehyung sighed, his gaze moving from the sleeping Yerim to Chanyeol who was by the door. "Already?" It was unlike Taehyung to keep up with whatever it was that was posted on the gossip boards but it was definitely not a surprise if both Yerim and Seungwan ended up on its front pages just a mere 12 hour difference. 

Chanyeol shrugged. The gossips doesn't usually target him as much as it does the others so he saw no point in overtly concerning himself with it. Unless it mentions anything about Chaeyoung, of course. Taehyung and the rest of the Kims though? Different story.  "I gotta go and take that back to his owner." He gestures to the pacing Jimin behind him. "I'll see you at brunch?" 

"Yeah, thanks for stopping by Hyung," Taehyung said, nodding as he walked towards the door to them out of the suite. 

Taehyung followed Chanyeol's lead down the hallway, discussing how it seems that Gossip Girl seems to be ramping things up now that a certain someone is back. Both of their gazes landing on Jimin behind them who was following closely behind before turning to each other once more and continuing their conversation. Jimin, already in a sour mood, brushed past them to press the elevator's button. They didn't have to wait too long as the elevator door opened a second later revealing two women that the men recoiled from. 

Kang Seulgi was quick to wrap her arms around Jimin, savoring the warmth of his body in contrast to the cool air emitted throughout the Penthouse. Chanyeol stiffens at her presence, clearly uncomfortable at their display of affection. A year ago, Jimin would have taken her arms off around him and reminded her to be mindful of how they present themselves in public. Now, Jimin hugs her back just as tightly, as if her presence alone could bring back something he's clearly lost. 

It was Kim Jisoo's piercing brown eyes that caught Taehyung's wide ones. He takes a step back with his arms up in surrender, clearly not in the mood for a good sibling banter with his older sister. The room temperature suddenly dropped a few degrees more than usual and Chanyeol who towered over the lot could not help but fidget in his spot. No one said anything as the couple on his right was silent and the siblings on his left were occupied with conversing with their gaze. It wasn't until Jisoo scoffs before hurriedly making her way to the  same hallway they just exited. 

"That wasn't heavy at all," Chanyeol commented, which earned a light chuckle from Taehyung. 

Seulgi, having released Jimin from her death grip, was now examining his day old outfit from the night before. A scowl graces her soft features. "You have to hurry and get dressed," she said. 

"For what?" He asked, brows furrowed. 

"Brunch, remember? Mr. Kim has something to announce," Seulgi said as her eyes hover over Taehyung at the side, giving him a worried look. 

"I hope it's to retire," Taehyung retorted and it was Chanyeol's turn to choke out a laugh. Even Jimin smiled at his best friend's words and gave him a high five.

All of the people in their circle knew just how much the Kim siblings hated their father, Taehyung by far being the most vocal about it and wasn't afraid of voicing out his thoughts. 

"Tae, that isn't funny," Seulgi reprimands, her hands trailed down Jimin's arm to hold his hand. "Didn't Jisoo-unnie warn you already?" 

Taehyung resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "Like she doesn't want to say that to his face herself." Seulgi could only give him a look of disapproval. 

"Well, I don't really care what happens to you. Let's go, Jimin." She didn't bother with a good bye as she pulls Jimin towards the elevator, the doors opening instantaneously. Jimin could only manage a measly wave to Taehyung before sticking close to his girlfriend. "Oppa, are you coming?" The question was directed to Chanyeol. Chanyeol shook his head. "I still have something to discuss with Tae here." Jimin's eyes widened as he realized that Chanyeol was about to leave him but before he could even protest, the elevator doors shut right in front of his face. 

Taehyung folded his arms across his chest as he raised a brow at Chanyeol. 

"What? I was not gonna go in there. Where's the stairs?" 

It would take Chanyeol exactly an hour to reach the main floor so Taehyung just pressed the elevator once more. 

Ping.


//


The first time Jung Hoseok saw Seungwan was at six years old on her way to beat up Taehyung with a baseball bat and he knew then that he'd fallen in love. In Hoseok's eyes, she was the kind of girl who didn't care about the rules their society placed on their shoulders and was someone who always sought the freedom to express herself. Seungwan was the kind of girl who was elusive, and would not let herself be caught by anyone. So, Hoseok settled himself safely on a seat beside her and remained ever since. 

The news of her leaving Seoul had hit him like a train that sent him spiraling and it was only then that he realized just how much he has relied on her. He wonders if she'll be proud of him now that he can stand on his own feet. 

There was a certain heavy  feeling in his chest as he caught sight of her waiting at the curb and how her face brightens as he pulls up to the side. He noted the guards by her side who will most likely get a scolding later for not being able to bring Seungwan home right away. Seungwan was waving at him as if her arms could fall off and as soon as got out of his car and in front of her, he was engulfed in a big hug that felt long overdue. 

Hoseok chuckled as he returned the hug, wrapping his arms tighter around her small frame and for once he felt contented. The amount of calm that she brought him was something that even Hoseok himself couldn't believe and he stayed in her arms just a little bit longer. 

"I missed you so much." He heard her whisper to him just before she pulls away. "How have you been?" 

Her voice was gentle and melodious as ever to his ears and he couldn't help himself but to smile from ear to ear. He couldn't believe that she was really right in front of him. "You're…not a hologram, right?" He asked her as he reached up to poke her cheek. 

"Of course not," Seungwan said as she rolled her eyes at him before walking over to the back of his car to which Hoseok automatically unlocked as he followed suit. Hoseok helped her to haul her suitcase in the back  and went over to the driver's seat afterwards as Seungwan went to the passenger side. He noticed her eye one of the guards standing watched and nodded at the woman who led them to which the woman returned the gesture before she slid inside. 

"Did I miss something or was calling me here part of the plan to piss off your grandmother?" He piqued as he revved the engine. 

"You didn't miss much when you hit spot on like that," Seungwan said as she puts on her seatbelt, sighing as she finally settled on her seat. 

"Then tell me, what did I miss," Hoseok said as he joins the traffic out of the airport, glancing only at Seungwan after a couple minutes of silence 

"My grandmother…" Seungwan started hesitantly. 

Hoseok hummed in prompt of her that it's okay to keep going. He was always ready to hear her out, to lend a listening ear. 

"She found Naeun and then she found me." Seungwan sighed, taking her eyes off of Hoseok and onto Seoul's skyline across the bridge. She rested her arm on the window, her fingers finding its way to brush her lips. "Naeun's getting married next week." 

Hoseok's eyes widened and his hands on the steering wheel loosened up a bit. "She actually found them? Even after the lengths that Taemin-hyung took so that they're completely off the grid." 

"Funnily enough, the reason they were found out was because of me." Seungwan clenched her fist. "Guess I wasn't completely off the grid like you said I was."

Hoseok shook his head. "Grandma is something else." 

"Tell me about it."

The two fell into a comfortable silence, with Seungwan's gaze still out the window, Hoseok didn't want to interrupt her thoughts. But it wasn't until they'd entered the city that Seungwan spoke again. 

"By the way, earlier on the phone, you said you already knew I was back. How exactly?"

Hoseok heaves a sigh before fishing out his phone from his pocket with one hand, unlocking it, then handing the device to Seungwan. With furrowed brows, Seungwan takes the phone from him and checks the screen only to see her pictures all over a tabloid page of sorts. She checks the heading at the top then took the time to scroll down, noticing Yerim and Jungkook on the next set of photos.

"Gossip Girl?" Seungwan asked. "What's this some sort of paparazzi?" 

Hoseok rested his arm on the armrest, a finger to his lips as he continued driving. "You could think of it like that. It surfaced the moment you left and has been posting about us, where we are, what we're doing." 

"By us, do you mean…?" Seungwan trailed off to which Hoseok just responds, "Yeah, the lot of us." 

Seungwan continues to scroll down the page and eventually stops to a picture of Seulgi and Jimin in Jeju-do. She puts the phone down on her lap and turns her attention to Hoseok. 

"So this person's been stalking all of you? Are you sure this is not a crime syndicate?" Seungwan offered, her mind already rolling through the endless possibilities and worst case scenarios. 

Hoseok lets out a laugh, reaching out to take the device from her hand and on to the compartment between them. "Whoa there, has your grandma scared you off that much?" 

Seungwan rolls her eyes, crossing her arms together. 

"From what I know, the site has grown big enough for it to get tips from other people. So if you feel like someone's watching you from a distance of taking a picture of you, it'll probably end up in Gossip Girl within the hour." 

Seungwan thinks back to the picture posted of her on the page. It was the moment she had bumped into those people at the airport and from the angle that the picture was taken, it was as if she was arrogant or stiffly cold towards them. It took a moment for it to sink in, but when it did, Seungwan leans back on the head rest and closed her eyes. 

"They're going to portray me as the villain." 


// 


As Kim Seokjin came through his front door, his mother was rushing out. Noticing the silver dress that she had on and the pearls adorning her ears and neck, Seokjin narrowed his eyes. 

"Where are you going dressed like that? It's 10 am," he questions his mother. 

"Exactly, 10 am and we're late dear!" she scolds and hauls him inside their tiny apartment. "Go and get changed, I prepared your clothes on your bed and hurry!" 

Seokjin stood in their living room, his head almost touching the ceiling, and giving his mom a confused look. He had never seen her this stressed over something. Her mother was never the type to show her troubles and up until today always had a smile on her face. So what was such a big deal that she's wearing an expensive looking dress and ushering him to change his clothes? 

"We're going to see the man I'm telling you about," his mother explains, her tone softer and a bit calmer. "He'll be taking us out to brunch and had advised me to wear this. He also picked out the clothes for you." 

Seokjin took his time to let what his mother said sink in and didn't even have the time to speak when his mother pushed him inside his room where he sees the grey slacks and navy blue dress shirt. Without even touching the material, he knew how expensive those pieces might've cost with its crisp and seamless look. He could only imagine the place that they will be eating brunch at and how many rich and snobby people would surround them. Seokjin thinks back at the way her mother smiled, how content she looked every time she came back from a date, how beautiful she looked this morning. And it was from that thought alone that had Seokjin changing into a new mask. 


//

 

Ping.

 


It seems that today will be an eventful day for us, Gossips. This just in, lonely boy got a VIP ticket to one of the most exclusive events of the season. Brunch. I could already smell the tension brewing under the noses of our Elites. So what's it gonna be, lonely boy? Will you turn out to be a Prince Charming or the lowly frog?  

Guess I'll have to find out myself. 

Xoxo. 


--author's notes--

thank you so much for waiting! i got very busy as i went on a trip and then classes started back up. 

cannot promise a consistent updating schedule but will try my best to update as much as i can.

thank you so much for reading. wait for it guys, drama's brewing < 3 

-alex