chapter 2.

you know you love me

"I just can't get that face out of my mind."

Park Jimin sat on the carpeted floor of Kim Taehyung's apartment the morning after what honestly seemed like a bad night. Taehyung threw a can of soda to Jimin which he caught easily with one hand and seized two bags of chips with the other.

"What face?" Taehyung asked even though he already knew the answer.

"You know who I mean, it's the face of the girl I've been telling you about." Jimin raked a hand through his hair as if to fray the frustrations out.

"Ah, you mean the face of the girl that you don't even know how to describe?" Taehyung teased.

"Piss off," Jimin countered as he opens the can and took a gulp of the carbonated drink. "I don't know man. It's just--I was at Seulgi's last night and my head started hurting again…and I keep seeing her face but it's always so…blurred."

It wasn't unusual for Jimin to crash at Taehyung's loft, especially when he feels like something is going wrong or if there's a piece of his memory that he can't quite seem to put together. And today, it has been the latter. He knew that he was getting closer in answering his months long question. Considering how long he's known Taehyung (re: their whole life), Jimin could tell that there was something off with his demeanor today. Taehyung seemed a tad bit more cautious than he usually is.

"Are you sure you haven't been drinking? I mean, I heard the party went on pretty late," Taehyung asked, giving Jimin an incredulous look while masking the alert on his own. He took a sip from his mug, the steaming hot coffee putting him at ease as he finally took the seat beside his best friend.

"Nah, it wasn't that. I didn't even drink that much last night." Jimin shook his head as if trying to remember a crucial detail that he seemed to have missed. A couple more moments of silence went on before Jimin's eyes widened. "I've seen her before!"

Taehyung was slow in putting down his mug on a coaster on the table, leaning back on the couch whilst positioning his body towards Jimin. "Yeah?"

"Yeah. Back then, there was a picture in Seulgi's room. I was in that picture too! I'm sure it was her in the picture." Jimin looked up at Taehyung, his eyes almost pleading as if he already knows that he's keeping much more information in the first place. And Taehyung was but he did not dare say anything. Jimin continued, "Nobody's mentioned her to me before though. I never brought it up with Seulgi because the day after I saw the picture, it was gone. Do you know her? I mean, she must be pretty important to Seulgi if there was a picture of her in her room," he rambled on, intent on finding out once and for all.

Just because he lost his memories from a while back, doesn't mean that he's stupid. Everyone's been cautious around him, not just Taehyung. As if they were all tiptoeing around him to not set off any memories like a bomb. But why?

"Did I. . ." Jimin starts, unsure if he can even ask this question to Taehyung, whilst Taehyung already knew what he was about to ask and kept his lips in a thin line. When Kim Taehyung promises something, he will never break it. "Did I know her too-"

The shrill ring of Taehyung's phone cut off the tension between them and he couldn't have been more relieved as he fished out his phone from his pocket, snorts as he looked at the caller ID, and then waved the phone to Jimin as a sign that he would have to first take the call before answering his question. He walked over to his kitchen, knowing that he wouldn't be completely out of ear shot from Jimin so he made sure to answer the phone like how he always would. Seungwan had specifically said not to mention her to Jimin and Taehyung respects that.

With a glint of mischief, he answered the call. "It's nice for you to call so early in the morning."

"Would you like me to try in a couple hours?"

Taehyung laughs. He had always appreciated this girl's humor that seemed to match with his own.

"I'm back."

"Already?" he teased, "When you said you'll be back soon, I didn't think that it'll be this soon."

"I was already in my plane ready to depart when I called you last night. And besides," Seungwan hesitates, "my sister's wedding is soon."

"Naeun's?"

"Yeah…the family's forcing them to get married."

Noticing the change of tone in Seungwan's voice, Taehyung cleared his throat and posed another question. "Just where exactly did you go that it took you more than 12 hours to get back to Seoul?"

"Far from Seoul, obviously." The voice on the other line mocked.

"State your request, Seungwan. My time is precious remember?" Taehyung urged.

"What are you doing? Are you busy?"

"Why? Are you going to ask me to be your chauffeur?" When the other line went silent, Taehyung had his answer. "You were really going to ask me to pick you up? What? No friends anymore?"

Seungwan sighs, annoyance evident from her tired voice. "No, unfortunately not, and you know what, I'll just call a cab or something so I don't have to deal with you."

Taehyung roared with laughter. It was only then that a name popped out of Taehyung's mind. "Why not call Hoseok then? I'm sure he'll be happy to see you."

"I tried, but he wasn't answering."

"Try it again. See you in a bit, Seung."

"Tsk."

The line went dead. Taehyung stares at his phone for a few seconds and chuckled, shaking his head in disbelief. Seungwan may probably be the only person that hangs up on him without even saying goodbye. He heads back to the living room where Jimin finally looks up from the TV and watched Taehyung's every move.

"Who was that?"

"Namjoon-hyung," Taehyung lied easily but he knew and Jimin does too. "Apparently, he's coming back soon."

 

//

 

Joohyun hauls about 10 or 12 boxes in her arms as she enters the airport. She was making the final runs of her deliveries in the few stores there and Seokjin had offered to give her a hand. The two set out through the busy airport to deliver each of the goods to different stores.

"How many more do we have to deliver after this?" Seokjin asks.

"Just these and we're done. Finally some good rest after making some good money," Joohyun sighs as she was ready to just fall back down into bed with her body sore all over.

The Bae family's business, though subsequently under the Kim's monopoly, is really just a small delivery business that she and her mom runs. She was thankful of course, that Kim's would invest in something so little as their business. Seokjin on the other hand was the only son of a small time construction company that is also relegated under the Kim family; his family being a little bit well of than her own just because they were distantly related to the Kim's main family. After meeting in the first year of university, the two knew that they were in the same boat, both just pawns dispensable under the Kim family's control. Eventually, the two of them grew closer as the years went by almost as if they were both the sibling each never had.

But she and Seokjin still lived in a completely different world than the upper crust.

Lost in her thoughts, Joohyun accidentally bumped into a suitcase that resulted in the tower of boxes she was carrying to fall down. She tried not to express her annoyance given that she was the one who bumped onto the suitcase in the first place but that's because no one really stands in the smack middle of a busy airport. Joohyun immediately started to grab the scattered boxes and notices that the person who owned the suitcase also bent down to help her.

"I'm so sorry, I was in the way." The voice was gentle, almost calming in the way that Joohyun's annoyance faded and was replaced with just slight inconvenience.

When Joohyun looked up to see who exactly she had bumped into, her eyes widened just a tiny bit. Of course now Joohyun understood why this girl has every right to stand in the middle of a busy airport. No one will complain when your father is the one who owns the very place. Joohyun was left to lower her eyes, shaking her head frantically.

"No, no. I was the one who bumped onto you," she blurted, "carrying all these just blocked my view and-"

The girl raised a hand to stop her. "No explanations needed, I'm the one at fault." With a flick of her wrist a man stepped in place by her side, bowing slightly, clearly waiting for her instructions. "Make sure they're helped out. I wouldn't want anything to have been damaged."

Right then and there, a trolley came into view and the boxes were being piled onto it instead. The boxes Seokjin were carrying too were lifted from his arms and only then did Joohyun realized that Seokjin was here too and his face was in utter disbelief, his jaw unhinged slightly. Joohyun elbowed her best friend's side to wake him up from whatever trance he was on before bowing to the one who offered them help.

"Thank you so much, you really didn't have to."

"I'm sorry it was all I could do for now. But do let me know if any problems rises, I'll be glad to offer a hand," she said as she looked at the time on her watch. She gave Joohyun and Seokjin a polite smile before turning her heels and walking away from them.

Joohyun turns to Seokjin and he still had the awestruck look on his face that hasn't left since he laid his eyes on the girl. "You know she probably could still feel you staring."

Seokjin then tore his eyes from the girl and looked to Joohyun instead. "But," he starts, "she didn't even ask us our names."

"She doesn't have to." Joohyun's hand gripped the handle on the trolley. That girl didn't have to ask for their names because she'll find out anyways. She'll find out because, "She's Son Seungwan."

 

Ping.

 

//

 

"Hoseok," the person on the other line said as a matter-of-factly, using his own name as an indication that they've reached the person they've been trying to get a hold of.

And Seungwan has been trying to get a hold of him for almost 20 minutes as she waits in the VIP waiting area of the airport. Knowing that Taehyung is completely useless as he would most likely just fight her with that venomous tongue of his, she just took his advice and called Hoseok again instead. Although, there was a part of her that was a bit hesitant given that he's already confessed his feelings for her multiple times before she had left. They were good friends of course, but calling out for him specifically just made her feel guilty. Yet, here she was, using this fact to her advantage.

"What? Are we on a no-greetings-basis now?"

There was some shuffling from the background before Hoseok spoke again. The tone of his voice dancing in a teasing tone. "God, you're back from the grave. Where the hell have you been?"

"Around," she said nonchalantly.

"What do you mean 'around'? You completely went off the grid! You ain't hiding anything from me anymore."

"Well, if you come to pick me up at the airport, maybe I could tell you a story or two." Seungwan counters but before she could say anything more, she became aware of the sounds in the background weren't just coming from Hoseok moving around, she could also hear faint sounds of a girl out his name. "Hoseok. . . are you ing someone right now? It's seven in the morning."

"There's morning for a reason, Seungwan." She heard him chuckle then putting the phone out of range for a second though Seungwan could still hear what was going on. "You may go now."

Seungwan almost did not believe what she had heard. Hoseok was never the womanizer of the group. If ever, that title would've belonged to Yoongi or even Jaehyun, Hoseok's cousin. Yet, now he's bringing girls home with him? What the hell happened while she was gone?

"Did you have a fun time?"

"As a matter of fact, I did, Seung. You never answered my question earlier. Where the hell have you been?"

"I'll tell you everything, Hoseok, like I always do. But I don't want to have this conversation on the phone. Can I take up some of your time?" Seungwan was now apprehensive about still asking if he could come pick her up, but despite what happened, she did honestly missed him. And seeing him could easily bring a sense of normalcy in the nerves that kept shaking her up.

"I'm already on it. Besides, Gossip Girl already announced your arrival."

Seungwan tilted her head to the side, her brows furrowed in confusion. "Who and what is Gossip Girl? Am I missing something here?"

"Not my fault you tossed your phone and went silent when you left. I guess you wouldn't be the only one with a story to share."

This got Seungwan curious. After leaving Seoul, she had only contacted a handful of people once to ask them to not tell Jimin anything about her. And the second time she did call someone was only last night when she had that conversation with Taehyung. But other than that, she really did toss away her phone and never looked at anything that connected her to her old life. How much has changed since then?

Forgetting that she was in the middle of a phone call, the last thing Seungwan heard before the line went dead was,

"Welcome back, princess." 

 

//

 

Their phones buzzed. A tone that has been familiar for the past year, a tone synonymous of that of a new post. Jimin looked at his screen's notification, brows furrowing as he opened it. Taehyung didn't bother for he knows it's probably just some bull being passed around, that, or the news of a certain someone coming back has finally reached the dog's ears much quicker than he'd anticipated.

It was the latter. And Taehyung could only scoff. The last few weeks have been relatively quiet, given that even perhaps Gossip Girl was minding their own business and that there's no one really to write about when everyone's been under the radar. But with the homecoming of Seungwan and that wedding that she had mentioned earlier, Taehyung could already tell how much that gossip site is trying to dig. But that was not his main concern given that Jimin wore a livid expression on his face. There's only so much he can hide from his best friend.

"It's her! It's the girl, I swear it's her," Jimin exclaimed who stood up from the sofa and held his phone tightly in his hands that his knuckles turned white. He shoved the screen in front of Taehyung's face. "She's the one I've been talking about. I'm sure I wouldn't forget someone like her."

Taehyung fell into an unusual silence.

"Well? Doesn't she look familiar?" Jimin then focused back on the caption under the photo. "Wait a second, I thought it was Seulgi who ruled around here."

With that, Taehyung snatched the phone away from Jimin to read the caption as well. He clicked his tongue. That damned gossip is surely getting on his nerves. But as Taehyung looked to Jimin, whose eyes were practically pleading, the only thing that's left was for him to be on his knees.

Taehyung could only sigh. "You really don't remember?"

"Tell me what I need to remem-"

A sudden knock on the door disrupted their conversation once more but neither of them moved a muscle this time. Jimin was determined to find out and Taehyung was trying his hardest to keep his mouth shut. The two stared at each other for a few more moments before another round of knocks came from the door. Jimin was the one who reluctantly went to answer the door, leaving Taehyung to run a hand through his face.

"Woah there-" Jimin's surprised tone cut through the tension in Taehyung's shoulders and was replaced by an even bigger weight. He immediately rushed through the door as he sees Yerim in Jungkook's arms. His eyes were sharp and alert as he fussed over his sister.

"What the hell?" he asked, his question directed to Jungkook who was guiding the sleeping Yerim through the familiar halls and to the guest bedroom, Taehyung and Jimin in tow.

"She used my name to get in one of the clubs to drink. Luckily, I was there to supervise or I wouldn't have been able to get her out of that mess." Jungkook muttered, clearly fatigued from having to take care of Yerim all night.

"This girl…" Taehyung shook his head, knowing exactly why Yerim would go to great lengths to cause trouble. But his eyes softens as it landed on her sleeping figure, now tucked in bed by Jungkook who was still fussing over her. "I'll have to give her some scolding later, but now, you look like you need sleep man."

Jungkook's eyes didn't falter from Yerim as he heaved a deep sigh. Taehyung could only pat his back. Jungkook was like a brother to him as they were close in age and grew up running around together. He could see the bags under Jungkook's eyes and the tiredness from the way his shoulders sagged.

"I'll get going first, yeah?" Jungkook says, eyeing the two as he bows his head slightly. It was a habit whenever he greets or says goodbye to someone older.

"Yeah, get some sleep. And thanks, as always." Taehyung pats his back for the second time before focusing his attention on Yerim, placing a hand on her forehead to check her temperature.

As his attention was focused on someone else, Jimin took this as a chance to perhaps ask someone other than Taehyung about the question that has been bothering him for a while. Following Jungkook as he exits the guest room, he falls into step beside the younger guy, hands in his pocket to feign nonchalance. Jungkook, who's always been observant finally stops at the end of the hallway and gives Jimin a tired look.

"Spit it out, hyung."

An embarrassed huff escapes Jimin as he brings a hand to his nape, clearly at a loss of how he should  voice his question. But Jungkook and Jimin weren't strangers and Jimin was sure of that given the parts of his memory that came back to him always had Jungkook in them. He could tell that they used to be close but probably because of the accident…

"Her name is Seungwan. And that's all I'm going to say." Jungkook finally said, seemingly growing tired of it all at this very moment before he pats Jimin's shoulder as a goodbye before heading for the door.

The name was familiar in Jimin's lips as if it was a word that left a gaping hole in his heart.

"Seungwan."


//

 

Ping.

 


Spotted: Lonely boy, can't believe the love of his life returned…if only she knew who he was. But everyone knows Seungwan. And everyone's talking. I wonder what Kang Seulgi thinks. Sure they're best of friends but, we always thought Seulgi's boyfriend had a thing for our IT girl.


--author's notes--

here's chapter two for you! i'm hoping to have chapter three done hopefully by the end of this week or beginning of next week. 

everything is slowly unfolding so just stay tuned!  there's a lot more characters that haven't been introduced yet. 

thoughts on f-boy hoseok?

-alex