Mellifluous

Mellifluous

~Mellifluous~

Mellifluous – pleasingly smooth and musical to hear

It first started in her third year of high school. At first, she never really paid any attention to him whatsoever and in return, he paid none to her. The last time they interacted was during class when the seats were changed, she sat right in front and him, behind her. Hyemi remembered him lightly tapping her on her shoulder and passing the class list for her to sign her name for attendance and that’s when she found out his name; Kim Myungsoo.

She’s never heard him speak. He didn’t seem very interested or eager to interact with anybody and kept to himself and she did the same. One day, during a free period Hyemi decided to finish up her English essay only to have the ink of her pen run out on her. Because she was so reclusive, she barely spoke to the rest of her classmates because she just felt so withdrawn and shied away from conversations when it came to meeting people. When Hyemi was younger she would hide behind her father's legs or curl into the side of her mother when people came over.

As much as she tried breaking out of this whole introvert thing, it wasn’t easy.

However, she was nearly done with her essay and it was due to be handed in for tomorrow but it would mean less homework for her.

Hyemi knew this would mean she’d have to ask the boy behind her, but…

Grabbing a ruler, she tore off a piece from a page from her notebook and used a pencil to hurriedly scribble a few words, this way she wouldn’t have to verbally exchange words with a boy whom she didn't have the courage to talk to. When she finished writing her message she turned around in her seat to face him but hesitated when she saw his head buried in his arms.

Was he asleep?

What would she do now?

Who would she ask?

She’d already come this far, reluctantly, Hyemi slowly reached over and tapped him as gently as she could on his shoulder. A big part of her wanted him to be asleep and the other, for him to be awake so she could ask for an ink-filled pen.

She felt a rush of anxiousness come over me when he shuffled slightly and looked up at her with what looked to be an expression between exhaustion and a scowl. She felt bad for disturbing him and wanted to just turn around but then then he might be displeased that he was awoken for nothing. He blinked once or twice and then shook his head a little to shake off the sleepy haze he almost slipped into.

His lips, albeit pulled into a small pout of sorts were a soft pink. The contours of his face were sharp but it made him all the handsome, stunning even. His eyes had this sort of piercing look to them and she found it a little intimidating but a whole lot more alluring.

He started impatiently tapping his finger against the desk, pulling her out of her daydream-like state and it was then that Hyemi realized that she’d had been staring. Not just for a small while, but a good amount of seconds and perhaps even a minute. Hyemi felt like digging a hole and crawling into it right now. The tips of her ears felt hot and the tingles she felt were only adding to the fact that she wanted nothing more than to bolt out of the classroom now more than ever.

She slipped the paper over to him as fast as she could and immediately turned around in her seat, bringing her hands up to her face as if it would hide her from his view.

A few seconds passed and soon enough, Hyemi felt something poke her slightly on her back and without turning around she held out her hand and sure enough, a pen was now in her shaky grip.  Feeling it would be rude not to give him some sort of acknowledgement Hyemi turned her head to the side to give him a slight nod of thanks but he’d already buried his head in his arms to doze off (successfully) again.

 

 ~Mellifluous~

 

Her essay was completed, Myungsoo’s pen had lost a bit of ink but it was a thousand word essay. There was only a few minutes left of the free period until school was dismissed and Myungsoo still hadn’t woken up. She could always just leave his pen on his desk because he probably wouldn’t be too happy about being woken up again and considering she’d done a bit of staring, she’d rather not.

Tearing off another page Hyemi used his pen to scribble a neatly written word of thanks and felt that she should add a simple token of apology for disturbing him and to properly thank him.

She dug her hands around in her pocket and smiled when her hands wrapped around a tiny mint sweet she ever so often chewed on. Deciding it appropriate and deeming it worthy, she folded the note around the sweet and got up, placing the pen next to him and the note and sweet atop his head with a soft pat.

She smiled at the site and packed her things in her bag, walking up to the teacher’s desk to get a pass so she could hand in her assignment. With one last glimpse at the boy behind her desk, she smiled and closed to classroom door.

 

~”~

 

The loud ringing resounded throughout the school building as students cheered and whooped, running out the classroom door. Myungsoo tiredly groaned and swallowed. His face twisted into a quizzical look. His mouth tasted….tasteless. The boy and sat up to stretch his limbs but something fell and rolled onto his desk and onto the floor, a little ways from where the pen he borrowed to the girl in front of him sat.  He sat in his seat with an impassive look until he unfolded the paper and discovered a small mint candy inside. Briefly looking at the note he saw the words, ‘Thank you for letting me borrow your pen.’

He never really took note of the girl in front of him.

He swallowed and remembered the lack of taste in his mouth, unwrapping the candy he placed it in his mouth and got his bag and left for home.

 

~Mellifluous~

A month later in class, Hyemi sat in class in her usual seat taking down notes from the board. Swiftly, she reached into her pocket and subtly tried taking out the mint candy without having the wrapper make too much noise.

“Cha Hyemi, break is only twenty minutes away. Please, try to refrain from eating in class.” Mr Kim called out in an unamused tone. Hyemi slightly shrunk back in her seat with eyes akin to an owl’s as she gave the teacher an apologetic smile. She quickly bit the candy but it was heard throughout the class, some people’s eyes drifted towards her which only increased her embarrassment.

A few minutes later, the teacher distributed textbooks out to the class but due to a shortage of them everyone had to share with someone who had been lucky enough to get a textbook. Realising that majority of the class had basically already found partners and were most likely seated next to their friends, Hyemi couldn’t help but chide herself for not speaking more to her classmates and making more friends.

She nervously bit her lip and was about to prepare to ask the teacher if there wasn’t an extra book she could use when a note landed on her desk. Unfolding it she felt relieved and slightly pressured when she saw the words written on it.

‘Share with me.’

Hesitantly, she turned her head and Myungsoo’s unblinking gaze was already looking back at her. She froze in her seat at this but got up when he raised a brow and jerked his head slightly to his side to the space he made so that she could have space to sit.

Hyemi got up and quickly sat next to him and kept her eyes trained on the words of the textbook as the lesson resumed.

She was practically stiff as she tried her best not to move. Myungsoo was relaxed next to her, paging over whenever it was required and spinning a pen casually around his fingers whereas Hyemi’s hands were folded into her lap to prevent her from fidgeting with the hem of her shirt.

They were so close and he smelled so good. She couldn’t quite pinpoint the scent, it wasn’t a heavy or overwhelming smell. Like warm vanilla and a hint of freshness. Vanilla was her favourite scent. Each time he paged over his arm would brush against hers and she wasn’t sure how she’d get through the next fifteen minutes of the period.

 

~Mellifluous~

 

Hyemi stood in front at the school’s entrance, the parking lot was practically empty save for a few cars belonging to some teachers who were no doubt staying behind or in a meeting. Almost all the students had gone home and she contemplated walking but by the dark grey hue present in the clouds, a downpour seemed like it would make itself known anytime soon.

Her brother would only be able to pick her up once his last class had finished and he'd messaged her that he would pick her up within the next half an hour. With some time to spare, she spent it wondering the corridors of the school passing various classes as her footsteps created a steady rhythm in the empty hallway.

She paused.

Someone was still here. She walked towards the Music room, making sure to make her steps as stealthy and quiet as possible. Hyemi gently moved the door and in the center sat Myungsoo, guitar on his lap and eyes trained and focused on his playing. His fingers expertly moving and strumming away as if the strings were silk under his fingers. The tune was soft and clear and the boy playing it made it look surreal.

If that wasn’t enough to shock her, what he did next certainly did. She’d never heard him speak before but now, when she’d hear him for the first time, he was singing. His eyes closed, lips parted and forming words, swaying slightly from side to side. His voice wasn’t too deep and it wasn’t light either. His voice practically floated around the room, the song he was playing and the way he sang made her feel like she was in an open field surrounded by trees with a clear blue sky. Wind ever so slightly breezing past as she contently sat there with maybe an open book and enjoying the company that was her own.

Beautiful.

Radiant.

Meaningful.

Contentment.

All these adjectives and she felt like it wasn’t enough to describe the scene in front of her.

Hymei didn't know how long she stood outside the music room but sudden buzz of her phone in her pocket made her flinch. She quickly peeked to Myungsoo but breathed out a sigh of relief when he went on strumming and humming softly to himself. She checked her phone and saw a text from her brother alerting her that he was outside. She hurriedly got up and silently made her way away from the music room to the entrance of the school.

 

~”~

 

Myungsoo stopped strumming and his eyes wandered over to the door, seeing it was still slightly open but the girl had left. The corner of his lip turned up in a smirk and his fingers found their way back to the strings, he went back to playing.

 

~Mellifluous~

 

She sat with widened eyes and parted lips at the note she found on her desk when she arrived in class.

‘Next time you should come inside the music room.’

Hyemi slowly leaned over her desk to bury and hide her face in her arms and she let out a quiet whine. Behind her, she heard a familiar husky chuckle and she just knew it had to be him. She didn’t dare turn around though, only opting to try and bury her head further in her arms if possible while being very much aware of the boy's muffled chuckles that lasted quite a good few seconds.

~Mellifluous~

 

Yet, here she was.

Another month later.

Afterschool.

In front of the closed door of the music room.

It would have been so easy for her to just turn around and wait for her brother in the entrance but…she didn’t want to. She could hear the strumming of the guitar but he wasn’t singing. With a shaky hand, she pushed open the door. Myungsoo glanced at her, briefly and curiously but went back to playing.

“Name?”

Hyemi looked up in surprised, he didn’t know her name? Even though she sat right in front of him?

“Y-you don’t know my name?”

He stopped playing and placed the guitar beside him, turning to face her as he leaned forward. His arms resting on his knees, hands folded and resting atop it, head tilted slightly to the side as he took in her form. Her hands were clutching her side-bag, she was shuffling her weight from foot to foot and biting her lip.

She was shy.

“I do.”

She was taken aback. She didn’t think a boy like him would give a girl like her the time of day yet he knew her name.

Then why was he asking?

As if he could almost read her mind, he answered her.

“I know your name.” he said. “But I’d like to hear you tell me your name yourself.”

She didn’t see the purpose of that. Myungsoo was…mysterious. A puzzle she couldn’t solve.

“Hyemi, Cha Hyemi,” she answered. “You?”

Of course, she knew his name too but she felt like she should do the same in return.

“Kim Myungsoo,” he blinked. “So, it took you a month to finally come here and listen to me play in person.”

Hyemi flushed and her posture became rigid, she in a small bit of air, releasing it slowly to calm herself. She was having second thoughts about coming here.

Myungsoo’s gaze drifted to the guitar, gesturing towards it he asked, “You play?”

Happy about the subject change she shook her head in the negative direction, “I can play the piano.”

He got up and walked over to the corner of the room where a large curtain-like cloth covered something like a blanket and hid whatever it was from view. He grabbed the fabric and with a strong tug, he practically ripped it off and it had clearly not been touched in quite a while considering the amount of dust that flew around the lonely classroom. It made sense after all, not many students took music as a subject these days and if they did, this particular instrument was rarely chosen.

It was a piano, a grand piano. Because it was covered, it looked almost sparkling new, as if waiting for someone to unleash its potential.

She walked over towards it and ran her fingers gently over the keys, feeling it under the tips of her finger. She placed her hands over it and played the keys F,A,C,E and then E,G,B,D,F. A small smile came upon her lips, each note she played was heard. Myungsoo watched her, her small smile, her soft expression…

She was mystifying to look at.

His hand unexpectedly grasped hers and she stopped in her movements. His touch made her feel a fluttery-like feeling again and he was staring right at her. His intense gaze was still there. “Play something for me.”

Hyemi was capable of playing the piano that much she knew. Yet, when Myungsoo wanted her to play for him she felt afraid that she’d slip up or do something that would leave her in an awkward position. He sat on the piano bench and patted the space next to him, clearly indicating for her to sit beside him which she did.

Hegently nudged her, oblivious of the audible gulp she took in. "You heard me play, right? It's only fair I hear you, go ahead."

Her hands were shaking and bit by bit she was losing confidence about how sure she was she could pull this off.

She felt his hands take hold of her trembling ones and he softly swirled his thumb over her knuckles comfortingly. “Relax, Hyemi. It’s only me.” He gently cooed, “It’s just us, okay? You don’t have to.”

He didn’t think he’d ever meet someone as shy as her. He thought it was simply adorable. He gave her a small smile that gave her tingles down her spine, and she took in a deep breath, exhaling and inhaling to calm herself and a few seconds later, the comforting warmth of his hands disappeared and the trembling had gone down a great deal.

With another reassuring smile and an encouraging nod from Myungsoo, she began playing.

 

~Mellifluous~

 

That day in the music room had earned Hyemi a good friend. Whenever textbooks needed to be shared, she’d sit next to him. Whenever either of them wanted something to chew on, they’d pass mint candies to one another. Afterschool when Hyemi waited for her brother to pick her up the two would occupy the music room and play songs to one another or to themselves. If she was patient enough, Myungsoo would sing to her and she’d listen and be drawn to his melodious voice.

It was four months later when she’d finally came to terms with the idea that she liked Myungsoo, more than an average friend should. Of course, she kept it to herself not wanting to ruin their beautiful friendship.

In return for the time they spent together in those four months, Myungsoo noticed her more as well. She made him smile, made him feel like he had to protect her because of how shy she was and how he loved the way she played the piano.

Softly.

Delicately.

Expertly.

Uniquely.

Her hands no longer trembled when she played for him and it made him feel special for some reason.

Slowly and surely, the two were growing inevitably closer. Be it by music, sharing textbooks or exchanging candies, they became closer and closer.

 

~Mellifluous~

 

Two months later Hyemi gazed out the window of the music room and remembered a time earlier in the year when Myungsoo was a stranger to her and she the same to him. A time where passing him in the hallways or locking gazes with him wouldn’t send a flurry of emotions through her. A time where she resorted to scribbling on torn paper because she was shy to talk to him. A time where he was just a classmate. A time that had long passed and was like a distant memory.

Hyemi’s hand clasped the piece of paper in her hand and Myungsoo stood in front of her, hands at his side and gaze strongly fixed on hers.

‘Meet me in the music room after school.’

That was what the note said and she did exactly as it instructed. Only...she didn't expect this. Myungsoo’s hands were around her waist and his head was leaning against hers with his closed.

Myungsoo moved his hands from her waist to wrap them around her hands only to find that they were trembling. A fond chuckle escaped his lips and he repeated the familiar motion of comfortingly swirling his thumbs over her knuckles.

“Are you going to say it or should I?” Myungsoo questioned, opening his eyes.

“S-say what?” Hyemi stuttered.

“That you like me, what else?” he gave her roguish grin. “I’ve known for a while now.”

Hyemi’s first reaction was to try and break out of his hold but he had a firm hold of her so it was futile.

“If you know th-then why are you asking me to tell you?” Hyemi mumbled and stuttered out a response, finding the white wall much more interesting.

Myungsoo wanted to laugh, it was almost like déjà vu.

“Because I’d like you to tell me yourself.” He softly murmured, letting go of one hand to caress the side of her cheek and turn her head gently towards him. “Tell me.” he wasn’t asking this time, he needed…no, he wanted to know. “Tell me you like me.”

Hyemi always pictured that if she ever found herself falling for a man, he’d be the first one to confess. Alas, here was a man that knew how she felt yet he wanted to hear it from her himself.

“Myungsoo, please…”

She was scared. Maybe she was overreacting about this entire thing.

“It’s okay, sweetheart. I know, all you need to do is say it.” Myungsoo gently coaxed her, like cooing a tiny rabbit to come out of hiding.

Hyemi felt like running away again. The urge to do it was much stronger this time, she had a choice. She could either tell him or bolt. She could tell him, and either develop or lose their friendship or she could run and not confront him which she didn’t want to do. Each action came with consequences she wasn't suer she was prepared to face. She didn;t even know if she could handle the possibility of rejection. She'd never liked someone so much before. It was all so new to her. She didn't want to lose him...Even if he didn't feel the same she at least wanted to still be his friend. Even then, she wasn't sure if she'd be totally satisfied as just being his friend. She wanted to be so much more.

She suddenly wrapped her arms around his frame and hid her face in his chest, her hands gripping the fabric of his school blazer tightly.

If she didn’t tell him now…who knows when she would and if she would?

“I like you.” Hyemi whispered, her eyes shut and grip tightening. She took in his light scent, warm vanilla and something fresh. It brought back memories to months ago when she sat next to him and he had shared his textbook with her. She liked the way he smelled. She liked the way his voice sounded, she liked the harmonies he played and the way he’d and swirl his thumb over he hands when they trembled. She liked him, a lot. “I really, really like you.”

It was quiet, unbearably so. Hyemi was starting to slowly form conclusions. She’d done what she was always trying to avoid and that was losing her friendship with Kim Myungsoo. The boy she had fallen for.

“Hyemi.” Myungsoo called but she didn’t look up, she didn’t want to.

“Hey,” he lightly patted her back but she only shook her head and held on. As if letting him go would mean letting go of everything she’d ever known about him and everything he’d given her and let her feel.

“Look at me, Hyemi.”

When she did, it was Myungsoo’s eyes that widened for a change. Her eyes were glossy with tears and she was lightly biting her bottom lip, no doubt in an attempt to quiet herself before she broke out to sobs.

“I really, really like you.” she repeated, this time she was staring intensely at him.

He gently wiped her tears away. Hands now cupped on the sides of her face, he leaned in closer and tenderly brushed his lips against hers and his eyes closed, hers shutting soon after. Neither of them moved, he didn’t know how much time passed and he couldn’t bring himself to care because he wanted this moment to last for a little while longer.

When he broke away, her eyes opened a second later and they both looked at one another. No words were exchanged between them, only smiles and a second kiss.

 

~Mellifluous~

 

Myungsoo sat beside Hyemi in the Music room on the floor. The guitar he’d usually play was next to the piano that she’d usually play. The piano was covered in the blanket Myungsoo took off many months ago and the guitar was placed in such a way that it looked as if it wouldn't be played for quite a while. The school year had been an eventful one. His arm was around Hyemi who was snuggled into his side. Her head was leaning against his shoulder and his head against hers. There friendship definitely changed but for the better. Myungsoo could call her his girlfriend instead of just a simple friend.

He smiled at the thought at how total strangers became friends and then something more through a note, a borrowed pen, mint candies and music.

“I’m probably going to miss this room.” Hyemi said.

“Good memories in here, huh?” he chuckled. “Hey, Hyemi?”

“Hm?”

“I love you.”

She smiled at him and intertwined their hands together, “I love you too.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments are not mandatory but would be nice~

Let me know what you think, about the story, any tips or...well...about the story in general.

Edited: 6 March 2016