News

That Day

'Yes. Yes, I understand', Ohno nodded, holding the phone to his ear. He frowned while hanging up and thought about what his manager just told him. The doctor had decided to wake Nino up from the artifical coma, since the wounds had enough time to heal. In order to continue further examinations, they had to wake him up. Basically it had been a few hours since they started the procedure, so Ninomiya was already responsive at this time, although still weak. His manager had also asked him if he wanted to come over and see the situation for himself. Even though Ohno agreed, he felt a nervous pain in his stomach, since the doctors had been quiet about his current condition. Ohno remembered the fatal accident and could not imagine how bad his health actually was right now. At the end of the phonecall they had decided that the managers and members had the chance to visit him tomorrow. Even though it was already late afternoon, the following hours of waiting seemed to take longer than the days that had passed from the PV shooting and now. He decided to go early to bed.

At 10am in the morning Ohno's manager came to pick him up and bring him to the hospital.
'I brought some flowers in case you want to give them to Ninomiya-san', the manager said. Ohno looked surprised. 
'You're not coming with me? Will there be someone else except me?
'As far as I know Sakurai-san will also come to the hospital, although he might be a bit late since he had a magazin interview yesterday'
Ohno nodded and frowned a bit. He was nervous because he wasn't sure what to talk about with Nino. 

They were reaching the hospital in no time and after he thanked his manager, Ohno proceeded to enter the building. Wearing a cap and sunglasses, he went to the front reception and took off his glasses. The nurse looked surprised and then, without saying a word, she gave him a card which had a room number written on it. 
'I will call the doctor, please wait in front of the room for him'. Taking the card he left for the elevator and went to the 6th floor. 
When he reached the white door and saw a small sign with the name 'Ninomiya K.' written on it, he stopped and starred at it. Before he could look for a seat to wait, he heard footsteps coming closer. 
'Excuse me, I am doctor Fujimoto. Are you here for Ninomiya-san?'
Ohno looked up and saw a young, energetic man, maybe around 30. The doctor stopped in front of him and bowed. Ohno responded with a short bow.
'Yes, I am here to see Ninomiya-san. I was called and wanted to talk to him'
'We can enter right away, I can tell you more about his condition inside. He will be happy to see a face he knows. This way please'

Together they entered a room with white walls, white curtains and white furniture. Ohno looked around and saw a single bed standing in this tiny room. The doctor smiled encouraging and invited him with a gesture to step closer to the bed. 
When he arrived at its feet, he could see his colleague laying under a thick blanket, eyes closed. He looked pale and had dark circles under his eyes, but Ohno sighed in relieve when he couldn't see any obvious wounds or scars. 

'Ninomiya-san. Can you hear me?', the doctor stood next to him and tried to wake him gently. 'Ohno-san came to look after you'.
The blanket moved and Nino woke up slowly. He opened his eyes and threw a confused look into the doctor's direction. 
'Ohno-san is here', the doctor repeated. Hearing this Nino's eyes widened and wandered through the room until he saw Ohno, standing to his feet. 
The latter smiled shily and waved at him. 
'Ohno-san'. Nino's voice sounded raspy and exhausted.
'Hi. How are you?', Ohno stepped closer to the doctor and Nino. 
'Considering the cirumstances, we believe his recovery takes a bit of time, but will proceed positively', the doctor answered.
'I am glad to hear that. So, how do you feel now, Nino?'
But instead of himself answering the question, the doctor looked at him and on his face appeared a more seriouse expression. 
'Ohno-san. There is one thing I want to explain to you. We already talked about it with Ninomiya-kun, so I would like to make you aware of the fact that there is actually a problem with his condition.'
Ohno looked confused between Nino and the doctor, both with serious expressions on their faces. Since he didn't answer, the doctor continued. 
'We could stop all the internal bleeding, so Ninomiya-san is not in danger anymore, however when the metal bar came down, he was hit by it at one of the body's most sensitive points; the spinal cord'. Still not understanding a thing, Ohno just looked at him and waited until he continued. 
'So, once the spinal cord is damaged, there is no way to repair it'
'What does it mean?', Ohno asked confused and once again he looked at Nino, who suddenly found his voice again and answered him. 
'Ohno. Since I woke up I can't feel anything below my navel'
'What does that mean? I don't understand'. Once again the doctor looked at Nino and sighed quietly. 
'It means that Ninomiya-san lost the feeling in his legs, from the navel downwards. He has to get used to a daily life in a wheelchair'