Chapter 1

Gidaryeo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wasn't worthy. I treated girls like trash, dating one girl after the other. I didn't deserve someone like her. I never even thought about looking at her that way because I know she deserved better.

She was my bestfriend, I never really did see her as someone I'd fall in love with. She was funny, smart, clumsy, and beautiful, yet, I chose not to see her that way. She was perfect. I know that because I've known her since we were 8 years old, she's like a sister to me.

Flashback

"You're like a sister to me" he said.

And that's all he needed to say to break her. Not just her heart. But her being. She prepared so well, she took him to their favorite palce when they were kids-- the playground, wrote down her script, and dressed prettily. She had the courage to confess and now she refused to cry just because it failed. She was quite proud of herself for not letting those weak tears fall. She hung her head low looking at her sneakers as if they were the most amusing thing in the world.

"A-ani... It's actually fine. I just needed to get it off my chest. I'll see you tomorrow?" She didn't know where she found the voice to speak. Her voice was breaking and Bobby realized he didn't like the sound of it, it hurt him, her words pierced through his heart.

"Yoojung-ah..." Bobby tenderly said as he took one step towards her. 

And as if on cue, Yoojung let her tears fall like waterfalls racing, each droplet wanting to fall ahead than the others, not minding the ground where it's bound to rest once it falls. She hung her head lower if that was even possible. When he called her so softly like that, she wondered how it cannot be, why he can't like her like she liked him; How such a sweet voice can hurt her this deeply. For the courage she gathered for 3 years-- she was thankful, but at the same time, sorry. Thankful that somehow she was able to let it out, to be honest to herself and to her bestfriend; and sorry that he couldn't love her back, that her love was unrequited, sorry that her courage didn't find its happy ending.

"Gwenchana, I'll be fine... It's... I... Thank you, Bobby. Let's pretend nothing like that ever happened, okay?" She wiped her tears with the back of her hand while Bobby was still dumbfounded, unsure of what was happening. He was so sure before, that she didn't like him and that he culdn't like her. She finally lifted her head to face him, gathering what remained of her courage and pride, she bid him goodbye.

"I'll walk you home..." He offered.

"Just... Let me sleep this off, I don't know what came over me. Tomorrow, it'll be as if nothing ever happened!" She said as she tried to smile behind the tears. And the last thing he remembered was her retreating form. 

End of flashback

----------------------------------

She's just different. I always found myself saying that when people ask me why I keep her around when I won't date her. 

"I don't keep her to date her. She's my bestfriend. She probably deserves someone better than a playboy like me." I admitted to Jin Goo. 

"HAH! So you do admit you're a playboy! And while you're no good for her, I on the other hand only have eyes for her. What can you say about your girl bestfriend and your guy bestfriend dating?" Jin Goo said as if he had planned it all out before, as if all he needed was my blessing.

I looked at him and he looked pretty serious about it. Everyone knows that Yeo Jin Goo, the smartest and richest kid in town, liked Kim Yoo Jung. He was never shy about it, he would send her the biggest bouquets and the most expensive chocolates during White day, and she would shyly accept. I enjoyed it because I always ended up eating them. I never approved, but I never disapproved either. I never thought there will come a day when I had to... And it would be selfish of me to keep her to myself when I already rejected her heart. 

"I don't even like her, why do you have to ask me like you're asking for my blessing?" I overdid it, didn't I? The moment I saw Yoojung from the corner of my eye, I knew I was lying to myself. I felt so stupid for breaking her heart twice.

"Annyeong! Ready to go home?" Yoojung asked as if she didn't hear anything. And I would've believed her, except, I saw it. I saw how her eyes widened for a split second when I said what I wish I could take back, but I didn't.

"Bobby has a date! Right, Bobby? But I can take you home!" Jin Goo was excited and was ready to put his plans into action.

"I don't have a date so I'm free... Let's go home." Bobby said while taking Yoojung's bag from her hand, basically boxing Jin Goo out of the game.

On their way home, Bobby was busy texting on his phone as it kept buzzing and buzzing, until it finally rung and Bobby had to answer it.

"Oh, Seolhyun. I said not to call me. I'm busy." It wasn't that hard to decipher that the girl from the other line was mad and she had every right to be. It seemed Bobby just ditched his date. "I'm sorry, babe. Maybe some other time." and then some more apologies thrown here and there, until finally he hangs up.

"But you're not busy. You said you didn't have a date..." Yoojung pried, while slowing her pace.

"That was just Seolhyun, and I am busy! What are you talking about? I have to go home quickly and finish something!" He vaguely replied.

"Is this some pity gesture because you feel sorry for me or are you just punishing yourself?" Yoojung finally stopped walking and waited for Bobby to turn around.

"What are you talking about?" Bobby said turning around, and just then, a bicycle passes by almost hitting Yoojung from behind if not for Bobby's quick reflexes pulling Yoojung to himself and falling to one side with Yoojung safe on top of him. They locked eyes for a second before Yoojung stood up dusting herself off.

"Thanks, but you didn't have to get hurt because of me. I don't want pity from the guy who..."

"I just don't want you to get hurt." Bobby replied naturally. It was this honest and caring side of Bobby that Yoojung fell in love with and she couldn't bear to keep seeing this side of him.

"And it's not pity. I really have things I have to do at home, and I also want to walk with you going home, we always walked home together... You said nothing would change" Bobby said honestly as he was picking up their bags which fell on the ground with them. He was warily watching Yoojung from the corner of his eye as she heaved a sigh and finally mustered a smile.

"You're right... Let's go home, the bus might leave us!" She said as she turned around and started heading for the bus station.

Once inside, they found the bus to be full of passengers, but they had no choice but to ride it since the next one will be arriving in another hour. They stood next to each other, hand holding the bus handle. Bobby noticed Yoojung getting uncomfortable at the accidental or intentional brushing of other men's hands against her legs and positioned himself behind her, protecting her while giving her enough space. Yoojung smiled at him and thanked him politely, but inside, she was telling her heart to stop fluttering for a boy who wouldn't return her feelings.

Bobby grew more conscious of their proximity and felt himself blush when Yoojung smiled at him. She was angelic and he was demonic, he never really did deserve her.

The rest of the trip home was uneventful. It was a habit of theirs to get off a stop earlier so they can walk home. And on their way, somehow, the atmosphere lightened up again and Yoojung was smiling brightly at him again. They were joking and talking about things that happened in school. He was telling a joke his teacher said earlier which he found corny, but Yoojung found to be very funny. She was shallow and he liked that she laughed at almost all his jokes. He looked at her laughing and found himself smiling. Once they were at Yoojung's house, she spoke up.

"Thank you for not bringing up what happened yesterday. For acting like nothing happened. I guess I really needed that to put me in my rightful place." Yoojung said in sincerity and acceptance before she bids him goodbye and finally enters the gates of her house. Bobby smiles bitterly.

"Jin Goo said he only had eyes for you, but I... I can't help but see you everywhere I go." Bobby shook his head as if that would shake the thoughts away.

Once Bobby got home, he went straight to his room and reached for what seemed like a photoalbum of his younger years. He opened it and looked at all the pictures he had with Yoojung starting from gradeschool and middle school. He was always hanging around her, hovering like a big brother. That's why she never had any boyfriends in the past, because no one was brave enough to get past him. He felt pride, but he also felt guilty for keeping her all to himself.

At that moment, he made up his mind.

----------------------------------

*ringgggggg ringggggg*

"Annyeonghaseyo, yes this is Yoojung...

ahh, yes, I think I'll be free tomorrow. 

You need help with what? 

I see...

Sure, I'll meet you up at 10?"

The next day, Yoojung did her usual morning routine and got ready to go, she wore a simple pink dress that fell just above her knees and paired it with sneakers. She was waiting at the bus stop when Bobby arrived. 

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Going somewhere?" He asked her.

"Just gonna help Jin Goo find a present for his grandma, her birthday's coming up."

"Oh, right, her grandma's birthday."

"You have a date?" Yoojung asked.

"Ani.. Just going out." He didn't even think hard for any reason or alibi.

"Oh the bus is here... Are you riding?" Yoojung asked as she turned and walked towards the bus.

"Wait." He said, surprised at himself as well for calling out to her when she was about to leave.

He then approached her, bent down and tied her shoelaces for her. "Don't go tripping and falling around just anyone, okay?" He said as he smiled and patted her head then went on his way. Yoojung's heart stopped for a millisecond the moment he bent down. Things like these were only supposed to happen in dramas, between two people who like each other. She blamed Bobby again for making her heart beat this fast and then leaving her empty. She then proceeded to enter the bus to her destination.

Jin Goo was waiting for her at the mall and when he saw her, he was smiling from ear to ear while waving his arm up in the air.

"Yoojung-ah! Over here!" 

"Oh Jin Goo! Sorry I'm a bit late." Yoojung apologized

"That's nothing, I'm just glad you were able to come! Shall we start looking?" He asked, eager to spend the day with her.

They entered high-end shops, jewelry stores and clothes stores and Yoojung's eyes widened at the prices of their products. She couldn't choose at ease because she kept looking at the price tags.

"Hey, just choose to your liking! The price doesn't matter when you're around me." he assured her.

"That's easier said than done... What's your grandmother like?" Yoojung asked.

"She's a charming woman. She took care of me more than my parents since they were always on business trips. She's simple, down to earth and fun-loving. She likes music and art. She's basically the reason why I am who I am right now." As Jin Goo was talking about his grandmother, Yoojung saw how his eyes sparkled and was touched at his sincerity. 

"I think I know just the thing. I've always wanted something like this, but it's quite expensive for me. But I think if you wanted, you can give this to her without worrying about the price." Yoojung was confident about this. She led him to an expensive trinket shop which personalizes memoirs. She showed him a personalized music box which she loved to look at. It was reminiscent of a ballerina in a music box dancing to Fur Elise, but instead of a ballerina, it was a boy in a jersey with a basketball in hand, and instead of Fur Elise, it was playing Space Jam. Somehow, it reminded Jin Goo of someone, but chose to ignore the thought.

"It's perfect!" Jin Goo said in delight while holding both of Yoojung's hands in his. Once he realized how close they were, he took advantage of it and pulled her closer while whispering to her ear. "Thank you, Kim Yoo Jung. My grandma will be so happy with this gift."

Yoojung was surprised at the sudden shift of atmosphere and stepped back. Trying to hide her embarrassment, she asked him what music he'd want to play inside the music box, and what character he wanted to put.

"Hmm, maybe a guy, who is me" He said while pointing to himself then continued, "holding a trophy, which signifies I'm quite good at everything. Haha. With the song... Go the distance." Yoojung was almost laughing at the first part of his statement about him and the trophy, but was really surprised, in a good way, at his choice of song. Jin Goo noticed the dissonance in Yoojung's face and decided to tell her.

"My grandmother always sang me that song, it was encouraging and reassuring. She was my home, I was always right where I belonged when I was with her. In her eyes, I'm her hero." His sincerity overflowed when he talked about his grandmother.

"I would love to have a grandson like you. Your grandmother is really lucky." Yoojung praised him.

"Ac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter