009

Glass Bead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sowon grinned happily, a red colored pencil in hand. This week's homework assignment for anatomy was to color and label a diagram of a human heart. She was excited for two reasons, but it was mainly because of the coloring. She had a huge array of pencils thanks to her brother Wonshik who always bought her a new pack when her old ones were getting small.

The second reason Sowon was happy was because she loved the human heart the most. It was fascinating to her, really.  Such a well protected organ, surrounded by the ribcage, muscles, and tissue was one of the body's most vital organs. A wound could be fatal. Yet Sowon was also awed by how resilient and strong the heart could be.

Emotionally our heart is our greatest assest and yet our greatest weakness.

Our hearts can bring us great joy and also great sadness. Yet it still beats, regardless of what emotions we're feeling. Sowon loved that the heart, so well protected and strong, was not invincible and was also quite fragile.

It made people human. Hearts were fallible- thus humans were as well.

She hummed quietly in the classroom, getting a head start on her homework during free period. She had just finished coloring the aorta red when a tap from behind brought her back to the real world.

Sowon turned around and smiled slightly at her classmate. She discreetly handed Sowon a note.

Sowon opened the crinkled piece of notebook paper and messy scrawl greeted her eyes. 'Meet me after school in the library. -Wonho'

Sowon chanced a look towards Wonho, but he was currently surrounded by a bunch of other classmates so she couldn't get a clear view of him. She shrugged and made sure she wrote down a little note in her prized planner so she wouldn't forget.

After class, Sowon did as she was told and went towards the library. When she arrived, only Wonho was present, since it was a Friday. Sowon felt a blush grow on her cheeks when he smiled at her. 

"Sowon, do you know the fairy tale of Cinderella?"

SoWon nodded eagerly. "Of course! Cinderella is my favorite Disney Princess."

Wonho smiled slightly. "What if I told you you could become Cinderella for one night?"

Sowon pursed her lips. "I may be dumb, but even I know fairytales aren't real."

Wonho held up two tickets.

"I'm not joking, Sowon. I have two tickets to go see Phantom of the Opera at the Palace theater. My mom thought I should be more cultured and pretty much shoved them down my throat. I figured you'd appreciate the play much more than I would, since you love musicals."

"Um, but I don't have anything fancy." Wonho laughed and flashed her his credit card. "We'll have to change that. Follow me, okay?"

 

Sowon wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter