004

Glass Bead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hyung, what do you think of the new girl?" Jungkook asked Jimin as he played him in foosball. Jimin turned the knobs on his side of the table, concentrating on getting a goal.

"Smart, definitely. She looked weird though, did you see her walk? It was more like a slouched shuffle."

Yoongi laughed at the mental image, but didn't think it was grounds to discredit the girl.

"You're going to hell for making fun of an autistic girl," Hoseok chimed in as he scrolled through his phone.

"I was just saying," Jimin answered softly. Hoseok didn't like to be mean like his friends. He thought everyone deserved a fair chance until proven otherwise.

Plus, Sowon didn't seem like a bad girl at all. He had heard about autism, and how more and more babies are developing the illness, and that they could percieve the world differently than most. 

He read that they were very particular, knowing a vast amount of information about their topic of interest. He knew that there was a special school for people like Sowon, but that not everyone with autism needed to attend as different levels of the spectrum warranted different circumstances.

He'd also read briefly about a rare condition called savant syndrome, where someone on the autism spectrum could perform extraordinary abilities in a certain area of the brain. Some were geniuses academically, while others were musically talented. It was rare, but there were cases. Hoseok suspected that Sowon was one of those rare cases, showing extraordinary talent and memorization in science.

"Doesn't autism like, give them the brain of a ten year old?" Taehyung questioned, having vaguely heard something along those lines. Hoseok shook his head.

"Dummy. Each individual with autism is different. Most autistic people can function in society, it just depends on where they fall on the spectrum. It can be severe or mild."  

"I wonder where the new girl falls on the spectrum," Jungkook wondered aloud as he let Jimin score a goal by accident. Yoongi immediately answered. "Obviously high functioning. She can talk, study, and go about the world like we can." 

"Okay, enough talk. I've got twenty dollars burning a hole in my pocket. Pizza, anyone?" Taehyung asked. The boys all whooped in excitement. 


~~

Sowon smiled as she walked down the street towards the convenience store, humming along to the song playing on her headphones. She'd gotten hungry and realized she was out of triangle kimbap, so she was on her way to the convenience store. 

She really liked the ahjussi who owned it. He always gave her a discount because she ate there so much and she had became close to him. She thought of him as her own father. When the bell rang signaling her entrance into the store, the ahjussi immediately grinned when he saw his favorite customer. 

Little did Sowon know who else was in the store. 

"Sowon, it's so good to see you." The ahjussi smiled brightly as SoWon ran up to give him a hug.

"Ahjussi, please tell me you got new triangle kimbap. I'm all out." The ahjussi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter