Chapter 6 - Summer Valediction

Cold Beautiful Things
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After Taekwoon’s case had been dismissed, Hyeran was about to stand and greet some of the people in court that she hadn’t been acquainted with yet- networking was vital in any profession- but she felt a hand clamp down upon her own. Her breath hitched, her fear of having to face her client becoming an inevitable reality. Her eyes flickered upward to meet Taekwoon’s for a brief second before she distracted herself by watching the movements of the other people in the courtroom.

“Hyeran-ssi?” Taekwoon’s soft, almost child-like voice made her heart crumple like it was made of paper. “Why aren’t you looking at me?”
“Ah? What? Don’t be silly! I’m looking at you right now!” You made eye contact with him and faked a laugh to pretend that you didn’t feel nervous around him.
“Is it that you’re scared of me now too?” Taekwoon peered into her very being, as he had been doing since the very first time Hyeran met him. As he asked this Hyeran thought she detected the slightest volume of hurt surface from the depths of his eyes. It was because of this that she bundled up her courage and tried to set her nerves to rest.
“Why would I be scared of you?”
“Everyone else is.”
“I’m not everyone else,” Hyeran tried to smirk, but found that her face could only remain unmoving.
“I know.” Taekwoon didn’t seem to blink. His stare was so intense that Hyeran’s breathing became slightly ragged trying to keep up a façade of coolness.

Noticing that Taekwoon’s hand was still resting atop her own, Hyeran grabbed it with her free one, attempting a friendly gesture that wouldn’t show any submission on her behalf.
“You will call if you need a lawyer again, won’t you Taekwoon-ssi?” Hyeran smiled. Honestly she did not mean those words; she had thought before that Taekwoon had re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter