I'm Not A Girl!

Your Highness

Jongin woke up in his bed. He looked around him. He has been feeling really lonely those last few days. Though he had his parents, his best friend and his servants at his side, he still couldn't shake that empty feeling inside him. He sighed deeply. Maybe it'll go away eventually. He stretched and got up to change. Then, he left his bedroom.

"Good morning, your highness." Minho, his personal guard said with a smile as he bowed to the prince.

"Good morning, Minho-shi." Jongin smiled back.

"Prince Jongin, Lady Taeyeon demands to see you. She said she wants to spend some time with you."

"Oh, alright then, I'll go. Thank you, Minho." Kai patted the guard's shoulder and walked to his parents' wing. He hoped his father would be there too. He hadn't spent time with him for a while.

He reached the door and knocked. The maids opened it and bowed to him as he entered.

"Good morning, mother." he smiled and kissed his mother's hand.

"Good morning, Jonginnie." she smiled back and motioned for him to sit beside her.

Jongin sat down and looked around the room. He sighed. "Father's gone already, isn't he?"

"Yes, Jongin. Your father is Korea's Emperor. He doesn't have time."

"Exactly, mother, he is Korea's Emperor, so if he was to be a little bit late to spend a few minutes with his son, no one can protest because he is the Korean Emperor. It's not like he'll get anything out of those lame meetings he's doing everyday."

The Queen sighed. "Well, maybe you're right. I haven't been spending time with him myself either. I'll try talking to him if it makes you feel better."

"Yeah, that'll help. I just... I feel so lonely. I mean, I know you're always here for me and I appreciate it but... I think I need my father too."

"Listen, sweetheart, it could be something else that's causing you to feel lonely. It might be because you need a woman in your life."

Jongin huffed. "Mother, I think I made it clear already. I don't want or need any woman. And I do not want to get married. I'm totally fine with my current life."

"Honey, you have to get married and have children. Otherwise, how will we keep the Kim line? Who will be your successor? You don't even have brothers. When your father was your age, you were already-"

"Mother, stop. I couldn't care less about that. And I am not getting married. I'm sorry but it's my life, my choices. I'm not interested in these things." the Prince said and got up to leave.

Lady Taeyeon got up as well. "Jongin! I'm not done talking to you! If you keep refusing to get married, I'm going to have to tell your father about it."

"Go ahead and tell him then! We'll see if he cares. I don't even remember the last time we sat down and talked." Jongin snapped and walked away. He went back to his own room and asked for Sehun.

"Hyung? You asked for me?" Sehun said as he entered the Prince's room.

"Yes, Sehun. Tell them to prepare the horses. We're going out."

"Where to?"

"I don't know. Maybe downtown. I wanna get away from here."

"Oh, okay, I'll tell them then." Sehun said before he turned around and left.

...

About an hour later, Jongin and Sehun were strolling around a small village on horseback with some guards. Then, Jongin wanted to take a walk on feet. They got down from the horses and started walking. The Prince watched people decorate their stores with Christmas lights as it was the end of the year. Christmas trees were everywhere and kids were playing around in the snow. He always liked seeing what ordinary people did for fun. He even wished he could be like them. Life seemed so much simpler.

Then, something caught his attention. It was someone with long chestnut hair and a slim figure. Jongin couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl. So, he looked closer. But he still wasn't sure.

"Hyung! Come help me, please. It's too heavy." the same person said, calling for his friend.

"Hyung? So it's a boy." Jongin whispered to himself and kept watching him. He was bringing some boxes inside a diner. Another boy came and helped the long-haired one lift the box. Jongin assumed the boy works there. 'Aw, so cute.' the Prince thought and smiled to himself.

"Who is so cute?" Sehun suddenly asked from behind him.

Jongin startled and turned around. "Did I actually say that out loud?"

"Yes, you did. So, who are you talking about?"

"Um... There, look. The long-haired one." Jongin pointed at the boy.

"Oh, you're right, she's cute."

"He is." the Prince corrected.

"Oh... Wait, what? That's a boy? So... Does that mean... Are you..."

"Gay? Yes."

"Oh..." Sehun kept silent for a while. "That's why you don't want to get married."

"Hmm. And that boy happens to be just the right solution to my mother's nagging. No one would know that he's a boy. You really thought he was a girl, right?"

"Yeah. I mean look at him. How did you know he was a boy anyway?"

"I heard his voice. And he just called that guy hyung. So, he's a boy."

"Oh, and what if he's straight?"

The Prince laughed softly. "Aw, Sehunnie, I'm Prince Kim Jongin, remember?"

Sehun smirked. "You're right. So, your highness, any orders?"

"Bring him to me now. And don't tell anyone he's a boy." Jongin said and walked away. He went back to where he had left his horse and hopped on its back. Sehun joined him after a few minutes.

"Is it settled?" the Prince asked.

"Yes. They're bringing him now."

...

Taemin and Jonghyun had just finished putting all the boxes inside the diner. It was the end of the year which means they will have more work on Christmas and new year's eve and of course they needed more food stocks. Taemin stepped out of the diner to check if there was any boxes left when he saw two guards coming towards him. He frowned. What were they doing here?

"May I help you?" he asked.

"Please come with us." one of them said.

"What? What did I do? Why would I come with you?" he frowned in confusion and surprise. Jonghyun got out as well and tilted his head. He stepped closer to Taemin.

"What did you do?" he asked in a low voice.

"I didn't do anything." 

"We got orders to take you to the Prince. Come with us." the other guard said, starting to get impatient.

"I won't come until you tell me why you're taking me." the long-haired boy warned and took a step back.

"I told you we're taking you to the prince! Come here. We don't have time to waste with you." the guard said and grabbed Taemin's arm. The other guard did the same and they started dragging him away.

"I didn't do anything! Where are you taking me?!" Taemin yelled as he got taken away by the Royal Guards. He looked at Jonghyun with pleading eyes but the latter just shrugged. He couldn't do anything for him.

"It's the Prince's orders. You're lucky he chose you, young woman." one of the guards said and Taemin shook his head. Not again.

"Wait! I'm not-"

"Shut up! When the Prince orders, you obey. You belong to him now."

Taemin tried to escape but the guards only tightened their grip on his arms and led him to the Prince, who was patiently waiting on his horse with his friend and companion, Sehun.

Taemin looked at Jongin and gasped. He bowed deeply several times. He never saw the Prince before. Was it real?

"Climb up." the Prince ordered and offered his hand for Taemin.

"Y-your highness... I think there has been a misunderstanding. I'm not-"

"There hasn't been any. I said climb up and come with me." Jongin repeated.

Taemin shivered. He couldn't argue with the Prince himself. He had to obey his orders, otherwise he might end up in prison, or even worse... He grabbed Jongin's hand and climbed up the horse.

"That wasn't hard, was it?" Kai smiled.

"Please, your highness, there's something you need to know. I'm not a g-" Taemin tried but got interrupted again.

"Hush. Keep quiet, cutie." the Prince said with a smirk and turned to Sehun. "Tell the girl's father not to worry. His daughter's safe. Tell him the Prince chose her and took her with him to the castle."

Sehun smirked and nodded. He whispered something to one of the guards. Jongin smiled then patted his horse and the latter started walking slowly towards the Royal Castle. Sehun followed them. Taemin looked around and panicked. Was the Prince talking about him? What would his father do without him? He couldn't leave him just like that. And what would happen to him when the Prince finds out that he's a boy? He needed to clear things with Kai.

"Prince Jongin? Please listen to me." he demanded.

"I'm listening."

"I'm not a girl. I'm a boy and my name is Taemin."

Kai chuckled. "I know. I mean, I know you're a boy. I didn't know your name was Taemin."

"W-what? Then, why are you taking me?" Taemin asked with widened eyes.

"I like you."

"I-I'm sorry, your highness. I don't think I understand what's happening."

Jongin smiled. "Then keep quiet until we reach the castle. You'll understand it all eventually."

Taemin swallowed hard and kept silent. Was this a joke? Millions of thoughts started running through his head but he couldn't voice any of them out. The Prince ordered him to keep quiet.

"Even your name is cute. What's your family name?" the Prince suddenly said, interrupting Taemin's thoughts.

'Since when can names be cute? How cheesy was that?' Taemin thought.

"L-Lee. I'm Lee Taemin." he replied.

Jongin smiled. "Lee Taemin... I like it. Tell me, how old are you?"

The pretty boy frowned. What was the Prince doing? Why is he asking about these things?

"I'm 19." he answered.

"Hmm, do you work there? I mean in that diner you were at." Jongin asked.

"Yes, your highness, it's my father's diner but I took it over him two years ago."

"Why? Is he sick?"

"No, actually um... He just doesn't want to. He's been only interested in alcohol since my mother died."

"Oh... I'm sorry." Kai bit his lip. He shouldn't have asked that.

"Never mind. I learned how to live with it. With her being gone." Taemin sighed.

Jongin noticed the sadness in Taemin's voice and his heart stung. This boy seemed so precious and innocent to indure such things. "I'm sorry. I really shouldn't have asked you about that."

Taemin smiled. "It's okay, your highness. I'm used to it."

Jongin just kept silent then, but he spoke up again when they were getting close to the castle. "Listen, you're going to have to pretend that you're a girl."

Taemin widened his eyes. "Excuse me? But... Why?"

"I'll explain everything later. Just do as I say for now. Your name will be Taerin from now on. And try softening your voice a bit. You can't tell anyone that you're a boy, understood?"

Taemin mentally cursed his whole existence. What the hell was happening? "Y-yes, your highness."

"Try talking in a softer and lower voice."

Taemin frowned. How was he supposed to do that? He already hated it when people mistook him for a girl and now he had to pretend to be one? He sighed. "Yes, your highness." he said in a softer voice.

"Perfect! Keep your voice like that if anyone talks to you. And... Wait, let me see your face."

Taemin turned around and looked at the Prince. However, he couldn't keep eye contact as the Prince's stare was too intense.

"Wow..." Jongin said as he looked at Taemin's face. He felt his heart beat madly.

"Hmm?" Taemin looked up to see what the Prince was talking about but he found him still staring at him. 'This guy is weird.' he thought.

"You're just so... beautiful." Jongin said and softly Taemin's cheek but the latter flinched and looked away.

The Prince sighed. "Sorry. I just... Never mind."

Taemin just nodded and kept silent.

A few minutes later, they finally arrived at the castle. Jongin hopped down from his horse and helped Taemin to get down as well.

"Sehun, if anyone asks you who's the new girl, you have no idea, you understand?" Jongin said.

"Yes, hyung." Sehun nodded and entered the castle.

Jongin turned to Taemin. "Don't say anything unless someone asks you, okay?"

"Yes, your highness."

"Remember the voice thing. And your name is Taerin." he reminded the boy. Taemin nodded and they walked together towards the entrance. The guards bowed to the Prince and opened the door for him.

Jongin took Taemin straight to his room without no one noticing them. 

Taemin looked at the room and gasped. He knew the castle would be luxurious but he hadn't expected it to be like... that. The bed was huge with dark blue satin sheets and curtains. The room was almost as big as Taemin's entire house. He kept looking around as he had never saw such luxury.

Jongin chuckled. "Well, I'm glad you like my room as you will be spending a lot of time in it."

"Huh? Excuse me?" Taemin furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Nothing. Listen, you'll have to change your clothes."

"W-why?"

"You have to wear something a little more... feminine."

"What? I'm sorry, your highness, but if you want me to wear a dress or something, you'd rather kill me first."

Jongin laughed softly. "No, no. I know it will be too much to make you wear a dress. It won't be a dress, I promise."

"Or a skirt!" Taemin said a little too loud. 

"It won't be a skirt either, don't worry." the Prince chuckled. Then he called for Minho to come in.

"Yes, your highness?" Minho asked as he entered the room.

"Minho, this is Taerin. I want you to get her some new clothes. No dresses or skirts. You understand?"

Minho looked at Taemin and nodded.

"And tell the maids to prepare a new wing for her quickly. Make it close to mine."

Minho nodded again. "Anything else?"

"Um... Yeah! Tell them to prepare lunch for two people today. Bring it to me here. I want chicken and..." he turned to Taemin. "What's your favorite food?"

"Um, meat." Taemin said in a low voice.

"Okay, meat. Chicken and lots of meat."

"Is that all, your highness?" Minho asked.

"Yeah, I think it'll be all for now. Oh, and Minho?"

"Yes?"

"Remember, everything you see or hear in here stays in here."

"Yes, I understand." Minho bowed and left the room.

"Y-your highness?" Taemin called.

"Yes, Taemin?" Jongin turned to him and smiled.

"Can you please tell me what's going on? Why did you bring me here? Why do I have to pretend that I'm a girl?" he asked.

"Alright, I'll tell you everything. Let's sit down first." the Prince motioned for Taemin to sit on the bed.

"I wanted to get away from the castle this morning so I went out with Sehun. We went to your village and I saw you with that guy. At first, I didn't know if you were a boy or a girl but then I heard you calling him hyung. You looked so cute trying to lift all those boxes. You're so cute and pretty, Taemin. I like you."

Taemin froze. So, he really meant it when he said he liked him earlier. But what is he going to say now? Taemin never questioned his uality before. He always thought he was straight and he still does. Is it possible to reject a prince? What would happen to him if he did?

"Your highness, I... I really don't know what to say." he muttered.

"You can say anything you want. Don't be afraid of me. I'll never hurt you, Taemin." Jongin smiled softly and held Taemin's hand.

Taemin felt kind of relieved but he still didn't know what to say. Now that the prince said that he wouldn't hurt him, he didn't want to hurt the prince either. "I-I can't..." he tried to say something but failed.

"Alright, let's do it this way. I'll just ask you questions and you answer honestly, okay?"

Taemin nodded. That sounded easier.

"Are you straight?" the prince asked.

"Yes."

"Hmm, have you ever thought about being gay?"

"No, not really."

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

"No."

"Have you ever had one?"

"No."

"Then how do you know that you're straight?"

"W-well, I like women. I've never found any man attractive."

"It's because you've never thought about it. Look at me. Don't you think I'm attractive?" Jongin asked confidently.

Taemin looked at him and hesitated.

"It's okay to say no, you know. But I'll keep trying anyways." Jongin grinned.

"I-I'm sorry but..."

"No?" Jongin pouted.

Taemin shook his head. "No."

'That pout was so cute though.' he thought.

"Well, then, I'll try again later. Now,  let me tell you why you're pretending to be a girl." Jongin sighed.

"Oh, right. Tell me."

"Well, as you know, I'm gay, so I don't want to get married to any girl. I'm 22 now and my mom is getting worried. She's been trying to make me interested in marriage for months now. Of course I can't tell her that I'm gay. Which means I can't tell her that you're the boy I fell in love with today, so I'll just tell her you're a girl."

"Oh... Wait, f-fell in love with?"

"Well, yeah, kind of. Here, give me your hand." Jongin asked and Taemin hesitantly gave him his hand. The Prince placed the boy's hand on his chest.

"Can you feel my heartbeat?" he asked.

"Y-yes. Oh god, it's too fast." Taemin gasped.

Jongin smiled. "Nobody ever made my heart beat that fast in my whole life. You're the first one. That's why I took you with me, Taemin." the Prince looked at Taemin and noticed his eyes were watering.

Taemin felt touched by the Prince's words. "I don't even know what to say, I... I'm so sorry I can't feel the same way but I'll try. I'll try my best. I just need time."

"Take all the time you need. I'll be waiting." Jongin said happily.

Taemin smiled, then they heard someone knocking on the door.

"Come in." the Prince said.

The door opened and Minho came inside. He was holding a wooden box in his hands.

"I brought the clothes, your highness."

"Oh, good, you can put them there." the Prince pointed at the desk at the other end of the room and Minho did as he was told.

"Is Taerin's wing ready?"

"It will be ready in a few minutes, your highness. I'll let you know when it is."

"Alright, you can go now."

Minho bowed and left the room.

"Do you want to see your clothes?" Jongin asked.

"Uh... Yes. I hope it's not too girly." Taemin replied.

Jongin chuckled and got up to bring Taemin's clothes. He placed them on the bed and sat down beside Taemin. The Prince opened the box and Taemin took a look inside. He frowned.

"Y-your highness, what are those colors?" the boy scoffed and pointed at the clothes inside the box. All of them were various shades of pink and red.

The Prince laughed softly and shrugged. He took out some of them. "It's cute! Look, I think this one will look good on you." he took a bright pink shirt and tried it on Taemin. He smiled and took out a pair of purple pants.

"Here, it's so cute. Try them on." the Prince smiled widely.

"I... I can't wear those colors, your highness. It's so weird." Taemin pouted.

"Oh, come on, it's not like it's a dress or anything. I'm sure it will look good on you."

Taemin sighed. "Alright, as you like, your highness. Where can I change?"

Jongin grinned. "You can change here. I'll go out to the balcony. Tell me when you're done."

The Prince got up and went to the balcony. He waited patiently with a large smile on his face.

"Um... Prince Jongin?" Taemin called after he put on his new clothes. He felt so weird and unusual.

"Yes? Are you done? Can I come in?" Jongin asked excitedly.

"Y-yes..."

Kai entered the room and looked at Taemin. "Oh my god..." he whispered.

"What is it? I look really weird, right?" the long-haired boy puffed his cheeks.

"N-no, it's not that. You look cute, I just... It's too much."

"Too much? You mean it's too girly?"

"No, Taemin. It's too much for me. You are too much for me." the Prince said and took a few steps closer to Taemin. He removed the boy's long brown hair from his face and cupped his cheek. Taemin blushed madly when Jongin leaned closer. But then, the door suddenly busted open making the two startled. Jongin moved away from Taemin and looked at the intruder. It was his mother...

________

Author's note: Hi, guys~! So, the first chapter's finally here! I hope you liked it. Thank you so so so much for everyone who subscribed, commented and upvoted! I really didn't expect you guys to like the idea that much so thank you lol

Happy new year, everyone!