Behind the Scenes of Inkigayo

Behind the Scenes of Inkigayo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi everyone! I’m an amateur and would appreciate some encouraging comments and constructive criticisms.

I don’t really have formal classes on writing or literature, so I don’t know how to properly write stories… I still hope you can appreciate whatever random idea I write and tell me where I can improve. 

 

----Filiming for SBS Inkigayo//Yoojung’s POV----

 

Oh no, I’m running late, out of all the days I can be late, fate chose today! WHYYYY? I haven’t even put on my make up yet! It’s their debut stage and I’m not even prepared!!! “Oh God of fate, please don’t let Bobby see me like this! Please please let him be rehearsing right now.” I prayed aloud. I asked the driver to drop me off at the entrance. I hid from the wild cheers of the fans as I entered the SBS building incognito. Once inside, I looked at the crowd and saw huge iKon banners everywhere, fans cheering everywhere. It was really amazing for a rookie group to achieve this big fan base! As his fan, I was really proud, but I also felt sad. It reminded me that Bobby also only looked at me as a fan. Even when I expressed my admiration for him on national TV, and even when I hinted on him on radio, nothing changed… Haha what was I thinking? Did I think that just because I publicly confessed my like for him, he’d come running to me? Korea’s little sister? Who am I kidding, he must not even see me as a woman… Still, I’ll continue admiring him from afar, I’ll like all his posts, join his fan café and comment on all his videos on youtube, like the loyal fan that I am. Stupid Lee Suhyun, what good is having a bestfriend who’s in the same agency as your crush when she wouldn’t even be your wing woman! Gah, I’m always having these useless thoughts!

 

I’ll be late! I ran to the elevator and waited for one to open, only to see a man, maybe a bit older than me, wearing a black hoodie that hid his features, it was almost scary. I contemplated entering the elevator, but just then, there was an influx of busy people trying to make it in time, shoving their way inside the elevator and in the process pushing me inside the elevator as well. I was bolted all the way to the back beside the mysterious hooded guy.  The elevator was immediately getting filled by rushing people and it was getting stuffy inside the elevator. I was almost crushed by the back of a heavyweight guy who did not have a care in the world with who it was around him he could crush with his weight! I lifted my arms to protect myself, forming a cross against my chest and closing my eyes as I waited for the impact of his back on my arms, but it never came. When I opened my eyes I couldn’t believe who it was standing in front of me, looking at me... at me… AT ME!

 

“Bobby…” I whispered, almost just mouthing his name for fear of exposing him to the people in the elevator. It was Bobby, the hooded guy, now towering over me, his hands on either side of my body resting on the wall behind me protecting my fragile body from being crushed by the fat guy now leaning on him. I’m sure I was blushing. I felt blood rushing to my face as I looked into his eyes and remembered how bare my face was! I wasn’t even wearing BB cream for goodness’ sake! That good for nothing God of fate and BB cream!!! I immediately looked down, afraid he might see the blush that crept up my cheeks. Suddenly, the temperature inside the elevator seemed to rise. It felt like a dream. I looked up once again and found him staring at me, we both tried to look away in different directions. My heart started beating faster. I stole a glance in his direction and was disappointed to see him unfazed by the entire situation, by our position. It felt like he was just trying to protect a little sister, he looked so cool and unperturbed by our proximity. His mind seemed to be somewhere far off. I laughed bitterly inside-- Silly heart for beating faster! Silly me for thinking he finally noticed me and saw me as something more. Silly, silly me. I mentally smacked my head, “ow…” weirdly though, it hurt as if it were real. I was gathering up the courage to speak to him and thank him, but before I could do so, the elevator bell rung and he excused himself from me and the man behind him, and began squeezing through the crowd as he alighted the elevator. There goes my chance, I thought to myself. The elevator was about to close when I realized something.

 

“HOLD THE ELEVATOR! Excuse me, this is my stop.” I almost shouted. As I was squeezing my way outside of the jampacked elevator, I could hear people whispering words of disbelief that I was actually with them inside the elevator the entire time and they didn’t even notice it.

 

As I got off the elevator, I immediately searched for the man whose body protected me from being crushed inside the elevator, but to no avail. “I guess I’ll see him later then.” I said, speaking to no one in particular. I immediately took out my phone to send a text message to my best friend.

 

Text message from bff Yoojungie:

Suhyunie! I just saw Bobby in the elevator. My eyes are shooting hearts right now.

 

-------Inside the Yoojung’s waiting room--------

 

While inside my waiting room, I replayed the events that transpired earlier in my mind. I know I look like an idiot for smiling widely, but thank goodness no one was there to witness it. I was humming iKon’s ‘My Type’ as I was choosing my outfit for today’s show. My make up was already done and I now had the privilege of choosing which style I wanted to wear for today’s show, I really wanted to go for the cutesy type, but I think Bobby’s type is a tough rocker chick.

 

Text message from bff Yoojungie:

Why aren’t you replying? I need advice on what to wear!

 

 

I got tired of just humming iKon songs that pretty soon, I turned the speakers on and started playing songs from my ‘Bobby playlist’. I guess I was too in the zone, because the next thing I know, I was already dancing to his song, ‘Bounce’. “Aish, Kim Yoojung! You’re such a fool.” I told myself when I finally caught myself dancing like a weirdo.

 

 God knows I can’t dance that well.

 

------Interview segment--------

In the end, I chose an outfit that was simply me—I paired a white long sleeved top with a playful baby pink skirt that stopped two inches above my knees and wore white sneakers as to not appear too girly for my taste. It was simple and fresh, I thought, and I liked it. I was already less conscious by the time the show started, and I was my old self again as the show progressed-- watching the idols perform, cheering for my friends as they were on stage, and me, in the crowd.

 

And then, it was time for the interview. Without warning, the nerves returned. I was again, nervous and fidgety, I became more conscious of my surrounding and moreso, myself. The MCs and iKon were asked to ascend the stairs heading to the interview booth and I felt so stiff walking up the stairs.

 

“Are you okay? You look like you’re shaking and nervous” Sungjae oppa probably noticed how unnatural I was acting and was concerned.

 

“Yes, oppa, I was just cold, that’s all.” I lied, putting his worries to rest.

 

Thoughts filled up my mind… Was I wearing too much makeup? Was my skirt too short? Did I look fat in my white long sleeved top? Because God knows white makes you look fat!  The nerves made me miss a step and I twisted my left ankle, causing me to fall on my back on whoever was the poor soul behind me. ‘I’m sorry poor soul behind me, I hope you see the light of day even after being crushed by me…’ Those were the last thoughts that left me. Shortly after, I felt two strong hands hold me—One wrapped on my waist and another holding my left arm protectively.

 

“I guess this is the second time I’m saving you today.” The owner of the hands said, and I knew better than anyone who that voice belongs to. I turned my neck to find our faces in close proximity, and my heart stopped for a moment, I froze, and all words escaped me. I was really hopeless when it came to this guy.

 

“Bobby…” I was finally able to say, and he flashed me that smile that could melt any girl’s heart.

 

“Kim Yoojung-sshi, are you okay?” our producer spoke through the mic, drawing attention to us. I quickly stood up and released myself from his hold, to my own dismay. But as soon as I stood up, I felt a nagging pain coming from my left ankle, the one I twisted just moments ago.

 

“Yes, PD-nim! I’m okay!” I said as I waved both hands at her and walked forward, ignoring the pain from my ankle.

 

When we were finally at the interview corner, I grew more conscious of myself when Bobby stood next to me, but it was soon replaced by the stinging pain that was my ankle. I was fidgeting in my spot, trying to reach down, but not as far down to my ankle in an attempt to soothe the pain, I bent my knee to reduce the force and pressure my weight was putting on my ankle and transferred my weight to my right leg, I was trying to maintain my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter