we fight ourselves

E4SE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chanyeol sits in his office, occasionally nibbling on fingernail of his thumb, tapping his fingers on the pile of papers. His newest client has been complaining a lot, trying to prove his innocence with blunt evidences, but work is currently the least of his concerns. It has been exactly two weeks since the conversation (technically, it was a fight, but Chanyeol prefers to address it as a misunderstanding) right after Jinah lashed out on him for forgetting about their date night after he won his previous case.

 

He clearly remembers how that particular night went—he promised a date night with his lover, went upstairs to check on his husband, kissed him for no reasons and fell asleep to avoid further confrontation that his mind has been pestering him to face. The next morning, though, he ended up with a slap on his face to start his day.

 

“What is up with you these days?” Jinah gritted out past her teeth, throwing a cloth at his face. It didn’t help that he saw her wiping the kitchen counter with the same cloth. “I waited for you, Chanyeol! I was waiting in my room, buck and cold, but of course you’d fall asleep with your husband! That’s totally what I’m here for, right?”

 

“I’m sorry! I was too tired and I didn’t remember,” he pleaded, right hand cupping his reddening cheek. “Don’t shout, Jinah, he could hear you.”

 

“See! I’m so sick of this—sick of you being so careful and secretive about us!” Jinah exclaimed, ignoring the smell of burnt eggs on the pan. “You proposed to me, told me you love me, yet told me to ‘wait’ for the right time. And I agreed! But tell me, Chanyeol, when is the right time for you to tell him that you don’t love him anymore? Why aren’t those damned divorce papers signed?! I told you that I’d wait, but not forever!”

 

Chanyeol sighs, rubbing his face with his hands. He couldn’t even look at Baekhyun after Jinah talked some senses into him. She was right—it was time for him to tell Baekhyun the truth. He couldn’t let Jinah wait; she doesn’t deserve to wait for their upcoming wedding. It’s simple, his mind says. Give Baekhyun those divorce papers.

 

It’s rather easier said than done, honestly. He may not be in love with Baekhyun anymore, but that does not mean that he no longer cares for his blind husband. Of course he still does. Baekhyun still depends on him, still needs a helping hand on a daily basis. If he leaves him, who else would take care of him? He had forbade Baekhyun from seeing his parents—his friends, his acquaintances, Kris. He was possessive, he had to admit, but now Chanyeol supposes that he doesn’t mind anymore. Perhaps once the divorce is finalized, he would send Baekhyun back to his parents’ house.

 

To: Jinah

I’m sorry, babe. I’ll make it up to you tonight, I promise. I love you.

 

From: Jinah

I love you too, but I don’t know if I can wait any longer.

 

Chanyeol bites his lips, staring at his lover’s response. With a knock on the door to Oh Sehun’s office, Chanyeol types a reply.

 

To: Jinah

You don’t have to. Not anymore, babe.

 

There’s a confused smile playing on Sehun’s lips when Chanyeol enters the room, keeping his phone back in his pockets. “Hey, Park. What’s with the sudden visit? Is it lunch time already?”

 

“No, uh…” Chanyeol trails off, distracted when he sees another person standing beside Sehun in the room. “I have to talk to you.”

 

“All right, just a minute,” Sehun says before his attention is back on the tall, lanky man fidgeting in his suit. “I think that’s all for now, Joohyuk. You can come back after lunch.”

 

“Of course,” the man nods, not forgetting to bow to Chanyeol before he excuses himself out.

 

“Who’s that?” Chanyeol asks, pointing at the door.

 

Sehun shrugs. “That’s Nam Joohyuk. Freshly graduated out of law school; he’s basically kind of like an intern under my care.”

 

“May lord have mercy on him, then,” Chanyeol jokes, smirking.

 

Sehun rolls his eyes, but pulls out a chair for Chanyeol to sit on nonetheless. “What’s up?”

 

“You know that I… have an affair with Jinah, right?” Chanyeol croaks out. The word affair seems a little too bitter for him to swallow. Sehun nods stiffly. “Well, since you’re the best divorce attorney here, I figured—”

 

“Hell no,” Sehun cuts him off before he could even finish talking. “Hell no, Park. Don’t make me do this.”

 

Chanyeol frowns, letting out a groan—although it comes out as a whine. “Sehun.”

 

“No! Absolutely not. By being your friend, I became Baekhyun’s friend too,” Sehun says, scowling. “And I’m not going to hurt him like this.”

 

“You’re not going to hurt anyone! Baekhyun and I… we don’t love each other anymore. I’m sure he has fallen out of love a long time ago, just like me,” Chanyeol says. Lies drip out of his mouth, stinging his lip as if it was bleeding. “This marriage is dead. Someone needs to get out of it before it hurts the both of us.”

 

Sehun sends him a look. “What if he’s already hurting?”

 

Chanyeol ignores the question, opting on staring at the dull blue wallpaper. “You’ve been a great lawyer to so many couples who wished for a divorce. Why can’t you do that for me, too?”

 

“Because I know you,” the divorce attorney answers. “I know how you always make the wrong decisions because you don’t think everything thoroughly and end up regretting your choices. I don’t want that to happen with your relationship with your husband.”

 

“I don’t love my husband anymore,” Chanyeol deadpans.

 

Sehun only stares at him—as if he’s daring Chanyeol to tell him the truth. Chanyeol could only look away.

 

“Tell you what; go home and tell Baekhyun about your true feelings. Tell him about my former client, Jinah. Tell him about how you fell for her and tell him that you no l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter