Chapter 18

At Midnight

PART 3:

It was already dark when Luhan went home. He didn’t even realize that it was already night when he arrived at their house. He was about to enter the house when he saw Dara get out in a taxi cab. He watches her bowed and wave to the driver.

“You’re early,” He said coldly.

“Yeah. I tried not to be late again like what’s happened last night. But, what are you doing here outside?”

“Just getting fresh air.” He said and opened the door.

Luhan watched her walks towards the stairs, more like observing her. When Dara is out of his sight, he recalled what happened earlier.

Flashback:

“Luhan, I want to tell you something.” Ji Hyo said and Luhan looks at her.

“Do you know Nam Family?”

“Of course. They caused trouble to the clan, especially to Chanyeol.” Luhan said and Ji Hyo sighed.

“Luhan, I am part of Nam Family. Joo Hyuk is my stepbrother.” Ji Hyo said and looks down. Luhan stared at her in surprise.

“W-what? Y-you mean, that Joo Hyuk who experimented Chanyeol?!”

“Ye--”

“So, you are also like them?”

“No! I’m not. But, I helped them with their experiments.”

“I can’t believe this!”

“Don’t worry, Luhan. I am not like them! I am not greedy. I just helped them because they forced me. I had no choice!”

Luhan hugs Ji Hyo

“It’s alright. It’s not your fault.” Luhan said to calm her down.

They suddenly heard clapping. Luhan and Ji Hyo look around and saw a man standing at the door of Ji Hyo's house.

“Who are you?” Luhan asked but the man just smirked. Luhan looks at Ji Hyo who seems surprised and uncomfortable by the sudden appearance of the man.

“It looks like you two are finally united.” The man said and walks close to Luhan and Ji Hyo as Luhan is ready to protect her mother.

“Now that you already have your son, why don’t you tell him the real reason on why you suddenly showed up in front of him.”

“What?” Luhan asked and look at Ji Hyo.

“Luhan, don’t listen to him. He’s just blabbering nonsense.”

The man laughs and said, “What nonsense? Com’on, Ji Hyo! You promised to help us again and You told me that your son will help us.”

“I did not agree! Dongwoo, just Leave us now and don’t come back!” Ji Hyo said and was about to push Dongwoo out of the house when he pulled a gun and pointed it to Ji Hyo’s forehead.

Luhan stands up and was about to fight when Ji Hyo gestured him to stop.

“Listen. I don’t want to do anything bad right now. So, why don’t we get this over now? Sit down both of you, if you don’t want me to kill anyone of you!” Ji Hyo runs towards Luhan and hugs him, and the two sits down.

“Now, as what your mother promise us. You will help the Nam Family, whether you like it or not. If you don’t want to help us, then I will have no choice but to kill both of you.”

Luhan gritted his teeth before speaking. “What do you want me to do?”

“Luhan, don’t!” Ji Hyo said but Luhan just put his hand to her shoulder and said, “Don’t worry. I will protect you and nothing will happen”

“I want you to be a spy for us. Report everything to us. Especially about that boy, Chanyeol. Tell me about the current and future plan of them. Act as you will help them, and act natural. Oh! I also heard that a new girl is living in your house. I don’t know much about her, so you better report everything about her too. If they found out about this plan, I will not hesitate to kill your mother. So, you better do your job properly.” Dongwoo stood up and left the house.

Luhan and Ji Hyo remained seated for a while, then Luhan goes outside to check if Dongwoo is still there.

“He’s not here anymore,” Luhan said and looks at Ji Hyo.

“Luhan, you don’t have to do this! I am so sorry. I don’t want you to get involved in this. I did not tell them that you will help them! He’s lying!”

Luhan hugs Ji Hyo. “I am not mad. It’s not your fault. As I promise, I will protect you.”

“But you don’t have to do this! You can’t betray your friends!”

“But, I can’t let them hurt you! I will not do anything stupid, so please don’t worry. All I have to do is to report everything to them. But, how come he doesn’t know about Dara?”

“The Nam Family did not know that I was the one who put Dara to your house. The only reason I put Dara to your house was that she was my neighbor before I moved here, and she’s looking for an apartment to rent. And I think it was really a fate that she is looking for a house around your area, so I took that opportunity. Did you know, that I put the folder to the mailbox that day because I know that you will see me? I’ve been watching and following you since you moved to that house. So I planned everything. Because that might be my first and last chance for me to meet you. So, I am glad that my plan worked.”

End of Flashback

As months go by, Luhan reports everything directly to Dongwoo. He also acted as Dara’s savior. When Dara became involved with the family, especially to Chanyeol, Dongwoo told Luhan to observed Dara and Chanyeol. When Dara moved out from the mansion, Luhan followed Dara to her new apartment and immediately told Dongwoo her new location to Dongwoo which is why Dara and Chanyeol got attacked. To avoid suspicions, Luhan blamed Dara for everything.

“Hi there,” Luhan turned to his side and saw Dongwoo.

“What are you doing here? They might see you!” Luhan said and look at his surrounding.

“I am here to tell you something,” Dongwoo chuckled.

“What is it?”

“I am planning to attack you guys later this day, and I will abduct the girl”

“What?! And why?!”

“Because I want to end this war. We had waited for so many years to plan on how to attack them. So, make sure not to hurt us later. I know that if that girl is within our hands, Chanyeol will find our basecamp. So, you better notify us if you got there, so we will ambush them.” Dongwoo smirked and left.

Later that day, Dongwoo attacked their mansion and as Dongwoo predicted, Chanyeol found out the Nam Family’s basecamp. Everything went according to the plan until Luhan saw Ji Hyo in the base camp. He looks at his surrounding before he brought Ji Hyo into a secluded place.

“What are you doing here?!”

“Luhan! I have no time! I have something to say to you!”

“You can tell me that later. Get out here, before they see you!”

“No. Luhan! I want you to know something very important!”

“What is it?”

“That girl, Dara. Dongwoo and the scientists found out that she is the missing piece for the cure!”

“W-what are you talking about?”

“I actually did not tell you something before. Do you remember what I told you before? That, Dara, will be a huge part of a particular person? That person is Chanyeol. Dara’s body is full of antibodies that can turn Chanyeol back into a human!”

“What? How did you found out that?”

“I was a scientist remember? I actually know about it way back before Dara moved to your house. Because there was a time when I helped her when she accidentally tripped herself while walking into our neighborhood. That was the time when I was still helping the Nam Family for a cure. I experimented her blood, and I was actually able to make a cure, but I got rid of it when I parted away from Nam Family. I was the only one who knew about it and never told anyone especially the Dongwoo or any member of Nam Family.”

“But, why are you suddenly telling me this now?!”

“It’s because Nam Family is planning to kill that girl! I want you to save her.”

“W-what?!”

“Luhan.You know, I never want you to be a spy. I want you to set free from them. It’s hurt to see you betraying your friends. I know you care for them.”

“Mother! I promise this will be the last time I will help them! Leave this place no---”

Luhan was not able to continue when Ji Hyo suddenly fell on the ground. His eyes widened when he saw a blood came out from Ji Hyo's mouth. He then got a glimpse of the knife that has hit his mother’s back. He looks around to see whoever did it, but all he saw were trees surrounding them.

“N-No!!” Luhan kneeled down and hold his mother. He could see blood continuous coming out from . He could also feel his hand damp by blood from her back.

“L-Luhan."

“Don’t talk! I will save you. I will take you to the hospital.”

He was about to carry his mother when Ji Hyo held his hand and shook her head in disapproval.

“I-I w-won’t m-make it.” Ji Hyo tried to talk and she slowly put her hand to Luhan’s face and smiled.

“T-Thank You” Ji Hyo continued.

“Please, stop! I will save you, alright?” Luhan said while crying.

“I-I l-love y-you, my son…”

Ji Hyo’s hand fell from his cheek, and her eyes closed with tears.

“NO!!! Open your eyes!! Please! Mom!!” Luhan desperately called her while crying loudly.

Luhan shakes her body and hugs her.

“I will get revenge to whoever did this to you!”

Luhan stayed at the ground crying with his mother laying on his lap.

------------------------------------

Please UpVote, Subscribe, and Comment!

Thank You!