One

Read Between the Lines

Known for being one of the most wicked in the industry, Kim Sunggyu never budged each time he heard negative stuff about his attitude. For him, nothing would change even if he tried to listen to those things, for he never really intend to be persuaded by people around him. It’s been so long since he cared for someone—about anything, for everything. He never find being alone as something to be pitied for. When eating meals and staying at his mansion-like home all by himself. All of it never made him feel as if everything in the world is against him. He just never cared anymore. He grew tired from caring. Too tired to even feel care.

     Another boring day for Sunggyu came. He will be performing for the opening of an annual game between Korea’s top rival baseball teams. Despite all the controversy and news circulating, his songs still soar to their peaks each time of release. Industry indeed is such a big irony.

      Now on standby in his waiting room, both of the teams who are set to compete came at the same time outside Sunggyu’s room. He was in trance when he heard his manager knocked, peaked between the door and its frame and asked if he could spare some time in entertaining the renowned players. His eyes squinted and he shook his head in disagreement. He then went back to look in the mirror, checking if his stylist missed something in his make-up or hair. When he found nothing, he closed his eyes and was trying to bring his body back to sleep as he was listening to Nell’s album. His ever so favorite band of all time. His manager finally went towards his artist.

     “Sunggyu-ssi,” his manager started to think how he could persuade Sunggyu in agreeing to have a photo with both teams.

     “They are popular athletes here in our country. We could at least have your name cleansed if you’d have a photo with them.” When his manager felt that Sunggyu would never move an inch from his seat, he retreated and was about to open the door when Sunggyu finally spoke still having his tiny eyes closed.

      “Fine. I’ll do it.” Having heard those words, his manager’s face suddenly lit up and ran back towards him.

     “Thank you, Sunggyu-ssi.” Seconds has passed before Sunggyu spoke again. “You know this has to have something in return.” And the manager nodded and went out of the room.

 

Kim Sunggyu’s face, together with Korea’s top two baseball team are in the front page of every South Korea’s newspapers  the next day. Every citizen seemed to be fascinated to see the top representatives of each category in one photo-- Athletes representing their country’s sports and Sunggyu, on the other hand, music—now they’re topping all search

      His eyes grazed the freshly printed papers in front of him, as if scrutinizing each and every letter, even the drop of colors and unnecessary markings that build up the news.

“Last 14th of March, Korea’s top personality Kim Sunggyu with the nation’s baseball prides Lucky Lizards and Rubling Cats get together at the 2015 National Baseball Finals which happened at the Seoul Olympic Stadium… Kim Sunggyu and his powerful vocals never fail to amaze the audience with a stage of his newly released single Another Me.”

      A sarcastic smirk was painted on his lips as he put down the newspaper on the table along with his half empty cup of coffee. Just as he did, his home’s lock system beeped open and his manager came in.

      “Sunggyu-ssi, the van’s waiting at the basement.” His manager calmly called out to him.

      Sunggyu nonchalantly walked back to his room, putting on a black cardigan and a pair of tinted shades that frames his facial features perfectly. He is without a doubt a versatile man, a man of everything. He walked ahead his manager, not even a glance to his manager who’s trudging behind him and carrying all their needed necessaries.

 

Late for her first day at work, Minhee immediately grabbed the newspaper that was thrown by the  newspaper boy in front of her doorstep. Even if her working place is just a ride away from where she is living, she has the nature to be late in everything. Imagine how one would actually be late in her graduation ceremony back in college? The program of the commencement had to be pushed back for she was assigned to deliver her valedictory address that time. She overslept and no one was there to wake her up in that very special day. Now that she finally got a job, she only could rely to her phone as an alarm.

       She should’ve been in work within three minutes. Holding a piece of bread in , she slipped on her sneakers and made sure she tied each properly. She rushed to the bus stop by her street, still nearly missing her bus to her working place. She takes in a deep breath of air as she took the window seat on the bus, almost choking on the bread she was chewing. Thoughts, reasons and alibis she could tell her team manager were running in her mind throughout the trip. Aside from the fact that it’s only her first day on work, it’s also an important day to everyone for they will be managing another production for an artists’ tour. As she was told after her acceptance into the job. And it was a big reminder for her to come on time.

     Once she stepped off the bus, she rushed into the building entrance and into the elevator, pressing the button to her office floor and almost stumbling during the process. For the last time, she fixed her hair and her clothes through the elevator’s mirror walls. Making sure she looked both presentable and neat.

     She stared at the flashing digital numbers above the elevator doors as she wait. The elevator bell finally dinged, signalling her arrival on their floor. Carefully, she stepped out of the elevator and was greeted by people rushing in and out of their cubicles. Almost everyone were on their phones or passing out one folder or a paper to another, she observed. She headed straight to her team manager’s office, who seemed to be out at the minute. It wasn’t that long since she was in this office for her interview, but she still has no clue about the team manager she was assigned to.

     She looked around the office. Despite the pile of folders and papers on the table, everything else seemed so neat and in their perfect places. The board at the corner pinned with images, plans and different colored notes took her attention. Being a team manager sure is hard. Everything in the show should fit and complement each other in such perfection. She was about to take a good look of the board when the door behind her slid open and a guy, must be the team manager, got into the room. He was looking rather frustrated as he talked through his mobile phone.

      “I could’ve assigned someone else to do her job— Yes. But she insisted she could do it. How could I say ‘No’? … She’s one of the best in my team.”

     Minhee immediately, yet politely, bowed to the guy in front of her. He doesn’t look that old, but not too young either. He must be in his early twenty’s, she guessed. He’s also not that muscular but perfectly fit in those office suits. The guy acknowledged her presence, motioning her to sit down which she did before turning back to his phone call.

     “Tell me how am I supposed to replace her now? It’s a short notice... I need someone to at least represent, or better yet, replace her in the assignment for this afternoon’s meeting…” the guy then glanced to Minhee’s direction as he paused in his talk, taking a good look at her.

     “Wait—scrap that. I think I just figured it out… I’ll see you later at the meeting… Send them my regards for their newborn.”

     Hanging up from his phone call and putting his phone on the desk, he glanced back at her and it was only then Minhee noticed the sharp gaze from the guy’s eyes and the overflowing aura. Maybe because she was the only person there to notice, or it was just she was really nervous and sorry for being late, she thought.

     “You’re late. You must be the newbie, Miss Lee Minhee?” She nodded shyly and unconsciously gripped on the straps of her bag from nervousness as she bowed once again. “You should’ve been here thirty minutes ago, am I right?” his voice was firm, which made it more scary now that he’s speaking directly to her.

     “Y-yes, sir. I’m sorry for my tardiness but—“

     “I know, your phone didn’t alarm so you overslept and almost missed the bus.” The sarcasm in his voice was obvious, but he still managed to keep a straight face on.

      What he said were all true, actually.She just kept silent in her seat, expecting to be scolded more for being late and on such an important day.

     “So I’ll be your supervisor and team manager during your stay here in the company. Welcome to Fantasia Productions by the way.” With a small grin, he still managed to greet her despite being so strict just a while ago, which came back again after.

     “Since I am also the production manager for the upcoming event, which I’m positive you were already briefed about after your acceptance. Our team is expected to do and handle all processes regarding the event. As your team and production manager, and the fact that we’ve just been short of people to help with and manage the production and you being impeccably late on your first day of work, I’ll be assigning you to an important position. Note, it’s a very important one.”

     What he said made Minhee unconsciously swallow the lump in . She’s honoured to have received such an important job on her first day of work, though she’s not yet confident of her skills. She may have experiences on show production but she’s still just a rookie among the professionals. Pressure sure is doing its job well right now.

     “You will be my production assistant manager, which means you will be handling the second most important job next to mine. My should-be production manager just had her baby and is admitted to the hospital.” The guy expressed his frustrations when his hand went to his waist and his free hand brushing his hair up, letting the strands of his hair fall back to his forehead after.

     “But anyway, you will be incharge of everything. Also, you are expected to take charge of the team and the production in my place whenever I will be out. As well as assist me during client and sponsor meetings.” The guy ran through the folders piled on his desk, pulling out one in red labelled folder and handing it over to Minhee, she read. “This is the proposed production plan which we will be talking about in two hours. Review it thoroughly, and come to the conference room on time.” The guy emphasizing the last few words. “You should be pressured you received a very important job on your first day of work. And with that, I’ll be personally watch you to evaluate your performance”

     Minhee’s eyes widened at the news, she was too surprised to even reject. And rejection is not allowed during this crucial time. The guy went around his desk and showed her out to her cubicle, which was right outside of the said guy’s office. Just a few good steps away. The cubicle was almost empty with only the folder rack, desktop computer, a piece of paper posted right beside the desktop, the office phone hanged by the cubicle entrance and a small shelf beside the desk.

    “This will be your cubicle. You can put up anything you want and even bring personal items for your work convenience. Your work schedule is provided. Lunch starts at 12noon and afternoon break on 2:30. Office lines are also provided. Expect that I will be calling you most of the time.”

     Minhee took a look around the cubicle. Small but definitely comfortable to her taste.

     “Feel free to approach any staff and ask help. We wouldn’t want you getting lost during your first day of work. So, any questions?” The guy expectantly stared at her, thinking that he already told her everything that she needs to know. Except for one important thing.

     “Uhm,I do have one question. Your name… sir?” Minhee smiled shyly and politely to the guy in front of her.

     “I thought you already knew. Sorry for being rude. Many call me Hoya but my real name is Howon. Lee Howon.

 

-

This story is a collaborative work made by yours truly and @itsmeASTARIA.