Terrified

Devoted Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Really?” Park Doo Jun straightened his body on his chair as his eyes were widened in surprise.

Min Ho nodded and looked at his adopted father that was sitting at the table in the study room. “I was shocked too when I see the business plan she did for me that day. Just by looking at the presentation, I’m sure she did very well in her school. Although the position is just a secretary but the job is very challenging and she will get to learn a lot.”

Park Doo Jun let out a wide smile and totally agreed with what his son said. This is the happiest news he had heard since he knew Shin Hye’s mother passed away. Because of his irresponsibility and reckless behaviour, he has put Shin Hye and her mother into this kind of situation. He thought Shin Hye’s life was ruined by him after knowing she sell herself for money. But everything is not late yet. Although he couldn’t change anything that already happened in the past, he still can make things right now.

“You said she is working with one of our advertising consultants, right? Which one?”

“YP Creation.” Min Ho replied in a soft tone.

“What?” A frown creased between Park Doo Jun’s brow. “The one that own by your friend?”

“Yes. His name is Moon Jun Won.” He reminded him politely, knowing that his father doesn’t like his friends from the orphanage.

“That one…” Park Doo Jun paused and heaved a deep sigh. “What future will my daughter have working in that kind of small company? DH Corporation has better position and more things for her to learn.”

“I know…” Min Ho let out a soft sigh. “But abeoji… you know how stubborn Shin Hye is. She will not work with DH Corporation. This is the best I could plan for her at the moment.”

Another deep sigh escaped Park Doo Jun’s lips as he nodded his head softly. “You are right. Her mother just passed away and she still hate us a lot.” He paused again and looked at Min Ho. “You said YP Creation is currently working for the year end promotion with our team, right? Which mean… Shin Hye is there too?”

Min Ho had his bottom lip held between his teeth, hesitation laced on his face. “Yes. She will be stationed in our office for a short period of time until the project is done.”

Park Doo Jun smiled. “Good. I’ll go back to the office tomorrow and take a look at her.”

“No, abeoji.” Min Ho panicked as he looked at his father nervously. “Please don’t go. I know you are worried about her but if she see you now, I’m not sure what will happen.”

The smile on Park Doo Jun’s face faded as he held Min Ho’s gaze, waiting for him to continue.

Min Ho sighed, taking a deep breath. “When she knows that the job I found for her is related to DH Corporation, she was so angry and thought everything was a trap. She even threatened me that she would leave if I go back to the apartment when she is around.” He paused and looked into his father’s horror gaze. “She is very stubborn. If abeoji insist to go to see her tomorrow, I can guarantee you that we will not see her again.”

Park Doo Jun slowly leaned his back against the chair and let out a long, breathy sigh. “You are right. How can I not know how stubborn is my own daughter? Her character is exactly the same as her mother. No matter how bad is the situation, she will not accept my help because… she hates me. She will not forgive me because of what happened to her mother. It was indeed my fault that both of them have to suffer so much all these years. And because of my selfishness, she was forced to betray herself just for the sake of money to survive.”

An extreme pang of pain hit Min Ho’s chest as he averted his gaze and inhaled another deep breath. It’s too late to talk about it over and over again. Nothing could change the fact that Shin Hye was deeply hurt and because of this reason it has changed her life tremendously too.

“The past already happened and nothing we could do to change that.” Min Ho spoke again. “The only thing we can do now is lead her back to the right direction and give her time to forgive and slowly accept her family back. With her strong and stubborn personalities, we can’t rush and have to be very patient.”

There was a long moment of silence before Park Doo Jun finally nodded his head again. “I understand. As long as she is doing well now, forgive me or not, I don’t really care. I just want her to let go of the painful past and live a happy life.” He said through his deep breath before he looked at Min Ho again. “Help me to take care of her. I don’t want anything bad happen to her again.”

Letting out another helpless sigh, Min Ho forced a weak smile on his face before he looked away.  The scene of the intense fight he had with Shin Hye this morning came rushing back into his mind. Take care of her? Will she still allow him to go near her after what happened today? Will she still believe him and let him to help her? He has no confidence at all.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

One week has passed since Shin Hye started work and the fight he had with Min Ho. As expected, after she threatened him that she will move away if he dare to appear in front of her again, he really obeyed her instruction and didn’t go back to the apartment ever since. Although they only known each other for a short period of time, but he understand her. Whether she will really move out or not, he doesn’t want to take the risk. He doesn’t want to provoke her further and create another problem. Since he can still see her every day in the office, it was enough to lessen his worries.

Just like what Shin Hye described herself during the interview, she is very smart, very fast and very alert. She does her job well and Jun Won is more than satisfied with her performance. Although she felt uneasy to work in DH Corporation’s office but she forced herself not to get affected by that. She keep convincing and reminding herself that she needs this job and she can’t quit at this moment. If she wants to win, she has to show them how strong and tough she is.

When it comes to work, both Jun Won and Shin Hye are very compatible. They are both workaholic and once they started to do their work, they will completely immersed into it and forget everything, including their meal. Even Min Ho tried very hard not to disturb her, not to appear in front of her but he still couldn’t stop himself from watching every little thing about her. Looking at the way she works, he is worried that she will neglected her health because of her job.

Every day when he went out for lunch with Jun Won, she will stubbornly refused to go with them. Of course Min Ho knows the reason is because of him and she is still angry. And with her not allowing him to step into his apartment, it makes him more anxious for not knowing whether she eat well at home or not.

In this one week, Shin Hye tried very hard not to meet Min Ho face to face but no matter what, it is not something that she could control since he is the boss in DH Corporation. Even she tried to prevent it to happen, she will still need to face him one day. And just like what she worried, in one afternoon, Jun Won have an appointment with another client and he needs to go out for a meeting. Shin Hye has no choice but to stay in DH Corporation alone.

Shin Hye forced herself to concentrate on her work but no matter how hard she tried, her rational mind is totally affected by the pain in her stomach. She is having a gastric. Because of work, she didn’t take her dinner last night, didn’t take her breakfast and even lunch today. She felt the knots forming in her stomach as her complexion turned pale white. Putting her pen down, she inhaled a deep breath when her stomach churned, making her grimace in pain. The gastric has started since this morning but she was too busy to see the doctor. She thought the pain would go away after she took some hot water but it seems getting worse. Taking another sharp intake of breath, she ignored the pain and continued with her work.  

After one long hour, she finally completed the document she was rushing since this morning but she felt uneasy at the same time because this is an urgent document that needed Min Ho’s approval. She needs to fax it back to the office by 5pm today in order for the staff to proceed with the work. She thought Jun Won would be back already by the time she finish it but until now he is still nowhere to be seen. 

Glancing at her watch again, it was almost 5pm now. She looked at the file on the table and let out a deep sigh. No matter how hard she tried to avoid him for the past one week, looking at the situation now, she doesn’t have any choice but to go into his room to face him.

“Come in.”

Min Ho’s voice was heard after a few knocks on the door. Shin Hye inhaled a deep breath while her hand holding her stomach, clearly lacking the energy to suppress the illness on her face. But she forced herself to maintain her composure and keep a cold expression. She turned the doorknob and the moment she entered the room, Min Ho looked up from his laptop and immediately noticed her pale face.

He stood up of his chair instantly as he quickly walked towards her. “What’s wrong? You don’t look good. Are you sick?”

Without even looking at him, Shin Hye lifted her hand up and passed the file to him. “This is the document that need your approval urgently. We need to get it done before 5 today. Please sign at the bottom.”

Min Ho stared at her for a moment before he took the file from her and just threw it carelessly on his table. He took a step forward and took a closer look at her face. Her eyes were dull and cold as usual but there was obviously something unusual too. She definitely looks paler than before; her once-rosy complexion was deadly white now. Something is not right.

“Shin Hye, what’s wrong? Are you okay?” His hand reached out, trying to touch her forehead to check her temperature. But before he could even do so, Shin Hye quickly stepped backward, avoided his hand.

“There is still fifteen minutes left before 5pm. You can take a look at the document first before you sign.” Shin Hye said coldly, ignoring his concerns once again. And without waiting for him to react, she turned around and quickly rushed to the door.

As her hand grabbed the doorknob and opened the door, there was a sudden strong pressure coming from behind that slammed the door close before she could open it. She was startled and turned herself around. A heavy gasp escaped her lips when she saw Min Ho, who placed a hand on one side of her, caging her with his body against the door. Their face was just inches away from each other.

“What do you think you are doing? Let go of me.” Shin Hye said angrily, her voice was slightly trembling because of the pain in her stomach.

“You haven’t answer my question yet.” Min Ho said in a calm but insistent tone. His eyes were looking deeply into hers.

Biting her bottom lip hard between her teeth, she moved her hands up to his chest, trying to push him away. But no matter how hard she struggled, he just wouldn’t move. As she try and try again, her stomach suddenly churned with a burning sensation that inflicted almost her entire body, causing her to wince.

Min Ho’s eyes grew bigger as worries were evident in his gaze. Just when he wanted to ask her what is wrong again, she moved her hand downward and his eyes immediately followed her gesture. Her hand was snaking down to hold her stomach and he know instantly what is wrong with her.

“Are you having a gastric? You didn’t eat, did you?” He asked anxiously.

Shin Hye sank her teeth deeper into her bottom lip as she stubbornly looked away and continued to ignore him. Her hands were both fisted tightly, trying to endure the pain that was almost unbearable.

Heaving a sharp sigh, Min Ho slowly moved his hand to her face, gently tilting her chin up so that he could take a clearer look of her. “I’m sorry that I lied to you and caused you to be at where you hated to be now. It was my fault that I don’t respect you and did something against your will. I’m sorry, okay? But even you are still angry with me, you shouldn’t use yourself to punish me.” He paused, his eyes were clouded and his expression was almost as painful as hers. “I’m very worried about you. Please don’t torture yourself anymore.”

For a moment, no word could form in Shin Hye’s throat and she became completely speechless. Her eyes were melted into his and unable to tear away. There are a lot of harsh words she had in mind that she could to use it to hurt him but she find herself unable to say a single thing in front of him. She couldn’t help but got caught by the unfamiliar feelings inside of her. She felt her heartbeat raced and his gentleness caught her off guard. Was it because of the pain in her stomach that makes her feel weak? Was it because of the fatigue that makes her brain couldn’t function properly? Why does she feel good with the way he worried about her? Why does she feel so nervous when he was so close to her now?

When Shin Hye didn’t say anything and Min Ho saw her eyes softened, he knows her pain must be very bad. The usual Park Shin Hye will not just keep quiet in a situation like this unless she has no energy to fight back. Without waiting for her to get back her senses, he grasped her wrist, gently pulled her over to sit on the couch as he ran to his table and make a call to his secretary.

“Get me some soft bread and hot soup. I need it now.”

After he put down the phone, he walked back to the couch and took a seat beside her. He studied her pale face for a moment before he spoke again. “Is it very painful? Your face is as white as paper. Let’s go to the hospital.”

Shin Hye continued to keep quiet and avoided his gaze. Her face was tilted to the side with a cold expression.

Another deep sigh escaped Min Ho’s lips before he braved himself; he shifted his hand over and held her hand. His sudden gesture startled her as she turned to him with a dangerous glare.

“What are you doing? Let go.” She instructed sternly.

She is still angry. She doesn’t usually show much emotion in front of people unless she is really angry or really not feeling well, and she is both right now.

“I admit it was my plan to arrange you to work with Jun Won so that I could keep you in my sight. I’m sorry that I have to lie because if I don’t, you will not accept the job offer.” Min Ho explained and apologized sincerely.

Shin Hye held his gaze and was once again silenced by his words. ‘Keep you in my sight’. What does he mean?

“Why?” Without realizing it, her expression softened as she uttered the word softly. “Why do you need to keep me in your sight? Are you afraid that I’ll disappear when you come back to the apartment one day and doesn’t know how to explain to your precious father?”

Min Ho clenched his jaw, holding his breath at the same time. His eyes gazed deeply into her as if trying to look into her soul, burning all the way through. It was a relentless gaze filled with intensity, his eyes unblinking, unmoving. And at the same time, his grip around her hand tightened.

“Believe it or not… it has nothing to do with him.” He said very softly, his voice almost inaudible. “Yes, I admit that I told him everything single thing about you… but this is not the reason why I find this job for you. Although I want you to forgive him, to accept him but I also know how much you hated him and how much it would hurt you by doing so. And because of that, I’ll not let you to see him. I promise you that even you have to be here in my office for a month, you will not be seeing him if you don’t want to.”

Shin Hye bit her lower lip, trying to keep herself calm and unaffected by what he said. “Do you think your promise is still reliable? Do you think I will still believe you?”

“If I were to lie to you again, do you think you can still working so peacefully in this office now?” He paused and exhaled a quiet breath. “You have my word.” He assured him with a firm tone.

Another silence set in between them as the atmosphere intensified with stifling tension. Shin Hye knows she should hold her ground and shouldn’t believe him again but something about him makes her unable to stay firm. She felt her heart started to waver and the hatred she has for him started to fade as well.

Revenge.

Park Shin Hye, do you remember how your mother die?

Revenge.

Park Shin Hye, do you remember how that person leave you and your mother?

Just when she felt the wall that built between them started to crumble, an inner voice started to shout at her that she have to stay firm and unwavering. She convinced herself that the alien feeling she had was because she wanted to use him to avenge his family. It has nothing to do with him. She doesn’t feel anything for him.

She took a deep intake of breath, enduring the pain in her stomach as she looked at him and wanted to fight back. But before she could do so, the door suddenly burst open and Jun Won came in.

“Min Ho… has you sign the doc…” Jun Won paused and stopped in mid-sentence the moment he saw Min Ho and Shin Hye sitting on the couch with their hands entwined. There was a slight change of his facial expression but it quickly faded away and replaced by a small smirk when both of them turned to him.

“You are here with Min Ho.” He said, looking at Shin Hye. “I thought you run away because of the heavy workload when I couldn’t find you in the conference room just now.” He paused as his eyes dropped to their hands. “I never thought you would be here.” He tried to sound like he was joking but his expression spoke louder than his word. He was obviously displeased with the scene he saw right now.

Shin Hye noticed where he was staring as she quickly pulled her hand away from Min Ho and stood up. “The document is done and I came in to pass it to Lee sajang-nim for approval.”

Just when Jun Won took a clearer look at her, he instantly noticed her pale complexion. “Are you okay? Why is your face…”

“She is having a gastric.” Min Ho cut him off as he stood up and looked at his friend. “I didn’t see her eating during lunch time and I’m sure she didn’t eat well at home either.” He paused and let out a deep sigh. “I’ve asked my secretary to get some bread and soup for her. That’s the reason why she is waiting in my room.” He doesn’t know what got into him but he felt uncomfortable with the way Jun Won look at Shin Hye and how protective he acted around her.

Without saying anything, Jun Won walked straight to Shin Hye and gently pulled her over to him. He wasn’t sure he is oversensitive or what but he clearly heard Min Ho’s breath turned heavy the moment he held Shin Hye’s hand.

“It’s almost after working hour now and I can get someone else to fax the document back to the office after Min Ho sign it. But can you hold on for a little longer or do you want to stay here and wait for the food?” Jun Won asked, his eyes were looking at her with concern.

Shin Hye was slightly taken aback by the sudden worries she saw in Jun Won’s eyes as she stole a sideway glance at Min Ho. His face was hardened, expressing his displeasure with the situation. Is this a pissing contest? Why does she feel like both of them were fighting over something, and that ‘something’ is her. If this were the case, then it would be a good opportunity to make Min Ho jealous by using Jun Won.

“I can wait.” She replied softly.

“But you are in pain now.” Min Ho stepped forward and protested. “Why do you need to wait when the food is on the way coming back? You should eat a little now before you go to see a doctor.”

“I’m okay.” Shin Hye said coldly.

“But…”

“You worried too much.” Jun Won cut him off as their eyes stared heatedly at each other. “Shin Hye is my secretary. As her boss, I have the responsibility to take care of her. I’ll take her to the doctor and treat her a nice meal. You don’t need to worry.” He smirked and turned to Shin Hye. “Let’s go.”

“Yah, Moon Jun Won.”

Min Ho stepped forward angrily but before he could stop them, Jun Won grasped Shin Hye’s hand and pulled her out of the room together with him.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

Shin Hye looked up confusedly at the two storey shop lot in front of her after she came out of Jun Won’s car. After they left DH Corporation, Jun Won brought her to the hospital and the doctor gave her an injection to stop the pain. Within thirty minutes after the jab, she felt so much better and the pain is slowly subsided. But instead of bringing her home after the consultation, Jun Won brought her to this unfamiliar place.

Back Alley Pub.

“I thought you are sending me home.” Shin Hye turned to Jun Won and asked.

He smiled and looked at her. “I promised your ‘brother’ that I’ll bring you to see the doctor and treat you a nice meal after that. I have to keep my word.”

“But this is a pub, not a restaurant. I don’t think there will be any nice meal in here.” Shin Hye said.

Jun Won chuckled. “You will be surprised. I know the owner of this pub and she can cook very nice steak.” He said confidently. “Let’s go.”

 

After they were seated at a small table near to the counter, Jun Won asked her to wait for him a while as he disappeared into the narrow hallway, heading to the kitchen behind. After about ten minutes, he came back and joined her at the table with a glass of water.

“Your stomach must be empty now since you didn’t eat anything since last night. Warm water is good for your digestive system and stimulates the removal of toxins before you eat later.” He said.

Shin Hye held the glass up and took a small sip before looking at him. “Thank you.”

A small smirk curled onto Jun Won’s lips. “You look less pretty when you are sick. Please eat on time before your ‘brother’ report to the labour law office that I’m abusing my staff.”

Shin Hye put down the glass and exhaled softly. The mention of Min Ho reminds her of the incident that happened in his office just now. What is wrong with her? Why does it feel so weird every time he is close to her? And her mind is full of Lee Min Ho now.

Jun Won studied her face for a long moment before he couldn’t hold himself anymore and broke the silence. “Thinking about your ‘brother’?”

His voice shook her off from her deep thoughts as she looked up at him. “I don’t know why you keep calling him my brother. Although technically it felt like we are related but we are just strangers. In fact, I don’t want to have anything to do with him or his family.”

Jun Won curled the corner of his lips up as he nodded softly. “Since you are so clear with what you want and what you don’t want, then I’ll assume that you understand the whole situation.” He paused as the smirk on his face disappeared. “Don’t waste your time. Min Ho is not the man you can tou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter