Confrontation

300 HOURS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stand across the tall, prestigious building where I’ll be meeting Sehun’s mother at the sky lounge. I got a hold of her secretary two days ago and to my surprise, she bumped her other schedules to meet me today. I guess we both want to face each other after everything. I don’t know where my courage is coming from, but I collect myself and take a deep breath before deciding to enter the building. As I pass through the marbled floor of the lobby, I feel my phone vibrate in the pocket of my coat. It’s Sehun calling and I pick up.

 

“Hey, how’s everything going?” He asks without letting me greet him first. Sehun has been worried since I told him that his mother is allowing me to meet her. Well, chances are I might put myself into more trouble but there are things that she should’ve heard from me the moment she started making selfish decisions that affected her own son.

 

“I’ve literally just entered the building, Sehun,”

 

“Oh,” He says and then sighs at the other end of the line, “Do you really have to do this?”

 

“Yes. Look, I know you’re worried but I’ll be fine, okay?” He doesn’t answer me and just breathes. I hear someone call him in to get back inside the conference room. I bite my lower lip and let out a sigh, “You should get back to your meeting,”

 

“Alright. You’ll be fine, are you sure?” He mutters.

 

“Yes. I’m sure,”

 

“Alright. Bye,” He says but we both find ourselves staying in the line.

 

“Bye,” I finally hang up as I let out a breath. It’s only been two days since we broke up and I’m still in the process of digesting our decisions. A part of me knows it’s for the best. We do love each other though, I think we both got that part covered. It’s just that, in our circumstance—where a mother is willing to destroy not just my life but my family’s—being together will bring pain not just to us but everyone around us as well.

 

I keep the thought aside and proceed to the reception desk. She asks me whom I am to meet with and I tell her Sehun’s mother’s name—Mrs. Areum Taylor. She gives me a look, an inquisitive one as she passes me the visitor’s pass and points me to where I can find the elevator.  I thank her and walk to the lift. The lounge is by the 39th floor and so I have time to actually think about what I want to say. The day my brother looked furious and worried for his restaurant—that is still closed and under investigation to this day—I just knew I wouldn’t take that kind of look anymore. It’s unacceptable. My brother’s business should have stayed out of this. If she wanted me ruined, she should have just gone for me. I’m the one she wants to bring down. I have lots to say to her and I want to leave this building with a lighter heart, knowing that I’ve said them all to her.

 

The nearer I get, the more I think whether my opinion would even matter to a wealthy woman like her. It’s intimidating that she’s rich and is married to a western businessman, but then seeing that she’s got time to sabotage my life, I think she’s got nothing better to do. Listening to my two cents about this would probably be way better than her pointless and useless hobbies.

 

I get to the 39th floor as my heart thuds loud in my chest. I grip on the strap of my bag, nervous for my life. But I it all in. I can’t let fear and intimidation lead me out of this building. I’m something, aren’t I? I can do this. I should do this. In the middle of trying to talk myself into not backing out, a lady approaches me. She looks sharp with her pencil skirt and black silk top tucked in them as her heels clacked while she walks towards me. I am guessing she’s Jee Eun—Mrs. Areum’s secretary.

 

“Kim Haerin?” She asks, not smiling.

 

“Y-yes,” I stutter.

 

She looks at me from head to toe as she nods and then gestures her hand to the double door at the end of the hall, “This way,” She says as I start to walk. Jee Eun walks ahead with her annoying clacking heels and we enter the empty lounge. She leads me to a table, “Ms. Areum will be here soon,”

 

“Thank you,” I smile small but she just walks away. I look around and observe the elegance of the place. This is where people wine and dine in movies. It definitely doesn’t look like anyone average’s place. I see lots of empty tables. How is it that there’s no one here when it’s lunchtime?

 

“The entire place is reserved,” I almost jump off of my seat when I hear a woman’s voice. As I turn shocked, I see an elegant beautiful woman walk in her red dress and fur coat in black. Her heels are clacking too as she walks. Her hair falls up to her chest with curly ends. Again, like the first time I’ve seen her, she gives off that intimidating vibe—even more intimidating this time. She stretches her pink lips into a smile and bats her lashes, “Did I keep you waiting too long?” She asks a little too nicely.

 

“No. I just got here,” I say as Jee Eun helps Mrs. Areum with her coat and purse. She sits down across me. We are exactly three feet apart from each other and I feel my throat drying up. Mrs. Areum stares at me rather nicely when I’m expecting her to be glaring at me like an antagonist mother would, but she’s surprisingly not as antagonistic looking as I had hoped.

 

“I must admit when you first called and asked to meet me I was flustered and now here we are,” She smiles at me again and it sends shivers up my spine, “So, shall we order?”

 

“I’m not going to take long, Mrs. Areum,” I tell her and I mentally give myself a pat in the back for sounding calm and relaxed and not stuttering, “I don’t know why you’re being nice and all but I’m not here to stay longer than you anticipate. I did mention it was just going to be a quick talk and I intend to keep it that way,”

 

She chuckles lightly, “I’m being nice because I heard you broke up with my son. It’s always good to be kind after victory, you know,” And there it is—her true color. Of course she’s celebrating our break up.

 

I scoff, “Victory, you say?”

 

“Yes and this me celebrating with you. Now it’s all going to fall into place,” She smiles again and it’s starting to annoy me, “You see, Haerin, truth is I knew from the moment I had your background checked I had the upper hand. Family is always a good tool and also the fact that you are still trying to make it out there in the real world. I could tear you down and I was right,”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter