What A Day

300 HOURS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lunch with Mr. Kai was fun. He was very open about himself. I found out a lot of things about him, like how his real name is actually Kim Jongin, he’s older by a year but he finished college early and went to work at Two Moons since then. He has three dogs that he treats like his own kids. His father stays at home. His mom is somewhere in Europe. His sisters are busy with their own businesses and he lives at a condo but he comes home every weekend to spend time with his parents and sisters. But he didn’t just talk about himself. Mr. Kai asked me things like I was in an interview with him. He knows of my family, how close I am with my brother, how I’m scared and allergic to dogs and that my parents and brother practically raised me with all they’ve got that’s why I don’t want to disappoint them. Talking to Mr. Kai felt like talking to a friend. But of course at the end of the day, no matter how nice he is, he is still my boss. Well, technically Mr. Oh is.

We arrive back at the office an hour later and I continue my task as Mr. Kai goes back to continue his. I thank him for lunch since he paid for my meal. I observe him for a while as I see him walk back to his office. I idly wonder if he’s like this to everyone who is new. I never got the chance to ask him why he’s being so nice to me because I felt like I would come off questioning his good deeds and it might offend him. Once he enters his office, I sit down and look at my e-mail. No e-mail from Mr. Oh. Hmm, well…Mr. Park did say he only replies to one girl.

I fix the folders and arrange the papers according to how they should be; commercial documents go into the blue folder, concerts into the orange folder, movies in the purple folder and the personal documents go into the green folder. I’m baffled with the disorganization of everything. How bad is Aubrey? I wonder how she got hired if she’s actually doing a terrible job at organizing things. It takes me a while to sort everything out but I finish the work in less than two hours. Once everything is done, I place the folders inside Mr. Oh’s office and it sort of feels wrong walking in without his permission but work is work, isn’t it? I brush off my worries and I start the next task—to synchronize Mr. Oh’s schedule and the one in Aubrey’s planner. Aubrey’s planner is a mess and most schedules are swapped. I feel bad crossing out the wrong schedules on Mr. Oh’s planner and if he’s sharp then he won’t like a mess. Tapping the pen on the planner, I contemplate on whether I should get a new planner for Mr. Oh. How much time do I have? I look at my wristwatch and it’s already 3:02 in the afternoon. No, I won’t make it. He’ll get here first before I could.

Without a choice, I just temporarily use my planner as Mr. Oh’s new one just at least for the next six months of his schedule. No one would survive Aubrey’s copy. Mr. Oh’s is a mess and mine is the best option. I copy the schedules and arrange them. It takes me a while to fix them and make sure I don’t cause any trouble in the future for mixing it all up. It’s a good thing I write fast but I don’t write like . It’s been sort of a talent. In first grade, everyone in class hated me for finishing all the notes before everyone else. Back then writing fast was a competition in the room. I took home six star stamps and my brother lets me do all his notes.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Oh,” I hear the employees greet. I look up and see Mr. Oh making his way towards his office. I finish everything and stand up waiting for him. He doesn’t look up from his phone and passes by me without a word. I follow behind him and enter his office.

“Sir,” I speak as he looks up before he sits down. He ignores me and looks back on the screen of his phone. I take a breath and decide to talk anyway, “I’ve already arranged your folders and sorted the files. I noticed that the sealed deals are altogether with the movie proposals so to make it accessible I decided to put it in a different folder, which is the brown one,” I tell him and he shifts his gaze from the phone, briefly to me and then towards the pile of folders on the center table.

He doesn’t say anything so I walk forward and present him the three planners, “And I already went through your schedule. Aubrey’s organizer is…not organized so there were a lot of mix-ups with the schedule-”

“Explains why I waited in the restaurant for nothing,” He mumbles as he moves forward to look at the planners I had laid on his desk. I look at him, feeling bad that he went there for nothing. He just looks at me, “Continue,” He commands.

“Right,” I say, wanting to hit the back of my head for staring, “There were confusing schedules and I wasn’t sure where to move them so I just drafted them with a pencil. Just tell me where you want what meeting to go where and I’ll finalize everything. Also in Aubrey’s organizer, your meeting with Mr. Wang is scheduled for the 8th at 2:30pm but in your organizer, you have a meeting with Mr. James at the same date and time. I looked at the available time for the day and you have a 10:30 to 1 window. We could move one of your meetings and I can give them a call to confirm if they’re available,” I inform him, using my pen to pinpoint which. I wait for him to respond and when I look up, Mr. Oh is already looking at me. I gulp. . Did I do something wrong? Did he not like my suggestion? Was I not allowed to make such suggestion? Am I about to get fired? Shouldn’t have I said that? I-

“Move Mr. Wang to the 10:30 to 1 window and give them a call to confirm,” He tells me and I nod. He looks down at my planner and he gives it a look.

“Yeah…I kind of used my planner as your new temporary planner because I didn’t have enough time to buy you a new one and yours were already messed up with too much cross outs. I figured if you wanted things organized then you wouldn’t settle for a messy planner. Am I going to get fired?” I say in a fast pace and he shoots me a look. I’m just waiting for him to open his mouth and tell me I’m done.

“Is that what you’re worried about? Getting fired?” He asks and I slowly nod my head, “And you worry because?”

“You…don’t…seem…to…like me?” I tell him honestly but sheepishly.

“Yeah, well I don’t like a lot of people. So instead of worrying about me not liking you, worry about getting the job done when it’s supposed to and how it’s supposed to,” He says as he sits back and cross his arms on his chest while he keeps both eyes on me. I could just let the floor eat me alive with his stare, “And speaking of job, after you call Mr. Wang’s office, order me food. I want Japanese food for dinner later and ask the guys out there what they want to eat, too. Have it delivered here and tell them to put it in my tab,”

“Yes, sir. Japanese food, on your tab. Got it,” I say.

“You’re sitting with me,” He says as I look up at him with surprised eyes.

“Um, pardon, sir. Sit with you?”

He eyes at me, his brown orbs piercing through my nervous soul. I feel like he could just stare at me and I’d die from it, “We’re editing tonight. I need you to sit with me so someone can take notes about the changes we’re doing for the client. You’re an all-around girl, aren’t you?” I nod slowly in understanding and he rolls his eyes at me.

“Of course. I got that. Umm…would that be all, sir?” I ask him and see him rubbing his temples. He shoos me out with a wave of a hand and I go out of the room immediately. Peeking through the glass, I see him close his eyes and fall back to his seat with his head lowered down and hands massaging his head.

I call Mr. Wang’s office and his secretary answers. We talk about the changes in the schedule and takes about five minutes to confirm it with Mr. Wang. She gets back to me and tells me that Mr. Wang approved on the 10:30 meeting. After the call, I finalize the schedule.

Disturbing the guys from the editing department, I knock on one cubicle and six pairs of eyes land on me. They stare at me and I smile hesitantly at them, “Mr. Oh would like to ask what you guys want for dinner?”

“Oh,” One of them speaks up. Curly hair. Glasses. Red sweater and ripped jeans, “You’re his new Aubrey.”

“Ah. So you’re the new ?”

“Excuse me?” I gasp, wide eyed.

“A . Should I google it for you? You’re the one clinging to Mr. Kai but you’re working for Mr. Oh,” Another says. I look at them as I ball my hands into a fist, “It would be a total jackpot if you sleep with both of them,” And they all laugh. I open my mouth to say something but something flies towards them and hits one in the face. I look at where the stress ball came from and I gape upon seeing Mr. Dyo standing from a distance. The guys sit up properly with heads lowered on the floor, one holding a side of his face. Mr. Dyo makes his way towards us. He briefly eyes at me and then shifts his gaze towards the guys.

Mr. Byun and Mr. Park comes in the scene after heading out of the conference room, “What’s happening here?” Mr. Park asks.

“Is everything alright? Why is Dyo-ah looking at you guys like he’s about to destroy your lives?” Mr. Byun says but I don’t see Mr. Dyo’s face mad. He’s just…there, deadpanned. Mr. Byun eyes at me, “Ms. Kim, do you know what happened?”

“Hanseul, repeat to Mr. Byun and Mr. Park what I heard you say to Ms. Kim,” Mr. Dyo says, deadpan. Even though he talked without any emotion on his f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter