Mr. Kim & Ms. Kim

300 HOURS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First day of work, Kim Haerin. I thought to myself as I look at my reflection in the mirror. I decided to wear a grey top, ripped jeans with the bottom folded at least three inches from its usual length and a pair of pointed, black flats. I idly wonder if I should put on some make-up but then again, it’s not my thing. Make-up is itchy and it takes too long to apply. If I try applying them, I’ll surely be late for work. Mr. Kai says 9am sharp so I have to be there 9am sharp.

Going down, I see my brother preparing a sandwich while he’s dressed in a white shirt and his black pants for work. He looks up at me and smiles, “Good morning twerp. Ready for work?”

“Mhm,” I hum an answer and walk towards the fridge behind him to get myself a yogurt to eat, “We should go grocery shopping this weekend, oppa. We’re running out of…food,” I tell him as I make a mental note to list down the things we need to buy when I get home from work.

“Yes little madam,” He teasingly says as I whack his arm and frown at him, “By the way, remember when you asked me if we could visit mom and dad and go for a vacation together?”

My brother—who is a chef and owns a restaurant—and I have been living in the city alone together since I started college. It used to be just him here in Seoul but he took me in when I attended Yesul. Our parents don’t see us often because we’re both caught up with our busy lives and they don’t like travelling that much so they’re stuck in the province with a small café that my mother runs while my dad is busy in his car repair shop.

“Yeah. But you said nobody would be handling the restaurant if we went,” I tell him.

“Well, your Eunhee eonnie told me that she’s willing to take charge of the kitchen while your Yoochun oppa manages the place until Junsu gets back,” He says to me as I look at him with a grin on my face, “So…I booked our flight to Jeju Island on the 19th of the month,”

“Oh my god! You didn’t!” I squeal, tackling my brother with a tight embrace. I hear him laugh and hug me back.

“I knew you’d be happy,” He says, pulling away from the hug.

“How can I not be?” I ask, still excited and giddy, “What about mom and dad? Are we just going to meet them there?”

“Yeah. I already sent their plane tickets. So all we have to do is get on our respective flights and meet at the airport when we land,” He tells me as I do my small victory dance with a huge grin across my face, “You’re welcome twerp,”

“Thank you Jaejoong oppa!” I tackle him with another hug.

 

“I’ll see you later for dinner, yeah?” My brother asks as we stop across the building. I nod in response and gave him a gleeful smile, “Alright then. Call me if you need anything. Go and kickass at work,” He jokes.

“Bye oppa. Take care!” I tell him as I step out of his car. I give him one last wave and watch his car drive along before walking towards the tall building of Two Moons.

I look up at it and use one hand to cover the sunlight from blinding me and I smile upon realizing that from this day forward, I’ll be working at my dream company. Kim Haerin, you finally did something right. I was never really the one everyone believed in. I’m a screw up in most eyes, people in school only trusted my work, but not exactly me as a person. If I’m not working on a project whether it’s a short film, a script, a campaign ad, an advertisement poster or an event, I’m just Kim Haerin—the girl who fails her academics because she’s just not smart enough. But standing across this building where I’ve always dreamed of working, I feel confident and I feel like I’ve finally done something in my life. I’m an intern in the company everyone in my batch would die to get into. Most of them backed out and didn’t take the chance to apply, saying things like it’s impossible to get it. Yet here I am.

“Kim Haerin is here and she’s ready to take whatever is thrown at her head-to-head,” I say to boost some confidence in me before getting through those doors.

“That’s the spirit,” I turn, surprised and embarrassed to see Mr. Kai behind me, wearing a brown coat over his striped sweater and black pants. Seriously, what is it with this guy and why does he just pop out of nowhere? I put a lock of my hair behind my ear and bow politely at him.

“Good morning, Sir.” I say to him as I stand up properly again. He’s smiling at me and I can’t help but find it charming. His smile has this sense of warmth and it makes you want to just melt right then and there. Mr. Kai looks at his watch.

“It’s only 8:30 Ms. Kim, I thought I told you to be here by 9am sharp? Am I wrong?” He asks, looking at me.

“N-no, Sir. I was just early because I came with my brother since it’s on his way to work,” I tell him and he nods his head.

“Alright then, shall we?” He asks, gesturing an arm towards the door. I walk sheepishly ahead and I feel his light touch on the small of my back. I feel my heart thump inside my chest as my face flush red. I stop the moment we enter the building’s lobby, “What’s the problem, Ms. Kim?”

“Um…I have to get my visitor’s pass first, Sir. Otherwise I won’t be able to pass through the turnstile,” I say sheepishly. He nods slowly as he looks at the turnstile and then back at me, “Should I meet you in your office after I get my pass, Sir?”

“It would be a waste of time if you fall in line everyday for a visitor’s pass,” He says and I’m stuck not knowing what to do. Do I just not get a pass? The security guard next to the turnstile will not let me in unless I have it. While I’m contemplating, Mr. Kai suddenly grabs my hand and we go straight to reception while the others eye at me. I blush upon feeling his hand enclosed on mine.

“Excuse me,” He says as one of the ladies from reception stands up immediately.

“Good morning, Mr. Kim,” She greets politely. I almost forgot that Mr. Kai is actually a Kim as well, but the surname is just too common, “What can I do for you?” She smiles, obviously captured by Mr. Kai’s charm based on how she’s looking at him.

“I want you to provide an access card for Ms. Kim and have it sent to my office before lunch,” The receptionist tries to jot down notes on a yellow post-it.

She looks up at Mr. Kai, “I need her full name, sir.” And she shifts her gaze on me.

“Kim Haerin,” Mr. Kai answers her as she nods. He steals a temporary pass at the brown rack, surprising the receptionist and I, “I’ll have my secretary return this later,” He tells her and we leave, he walks ahead with his hand still holding mine as if I’m some 3-year-old kid.

He lets me go through the turnstile first and I wait for him to get through. I can’t help but observe him while he gently puts a hand on the small of my back, guiding me towards the elevator. He looks up and I immediately look away, feeling my cheeks heat up. I feel his gaze on me and I grow awkward as I rub the back of my neck and avoid his gaze as much as possible.

“It’s alright. I get that a lot,” He says, as I turn to him, confused. He chuckles as he oozes his face towards mine. I back away a little and he just lets out another chuckle, “Don’t be shy, Ms. Kim. I’m just making it up for that interview yesterday. You were supposed to have a good impression about the company you’ve dreamed of working at but instead you left with a terrible experience. It saddened my heart at some point,” He puts a hand over his chest and I laugh at him. He just laughs back at me.

We enter the elevator along with the other employees. People are greeting Mr. Kai as Mr. Kim and he greets them back politely. He’s suddenly very intimidating again once they start acknowledging him. Mr. Kai mingled with the employees, asking them about how their family is doing and if they’re doing alright in their department. He’s really respectful and kindhearted. Why must you be this way, Mr. Kai?

Breaking my reverie, everyone left inside the lift went out on the 35th floor. We don’t go out until the 40th. It’s awkward and silent between us until Mr. Kai clears his throat as he looks up at the number. The silver door slides open before us, and Mr. Kai lets me walk out first. The lady guard greets him a good morning and shifts her surprise gaze on me. She hesitates a good morning but I bow and murmur a greeting. Mr. Kai scans his I.D and opens the door for me. I walk in ahead again. Thankfully, there aren’t that many employees in the office yet. I would probably get those judgmental gazes again if they see me with one of the bosses opening the door for me.

I freeze on my spot, realizing that I do not know where to go or wait since I haven’t been really oriented yet. I follow behind Mr. Kai like a lost puppy as the early employees greet him. We make a turn and walk to an office close to the end of the area. I look around and realize that the department across him is Ads & Promotions.

An employee approaches him, a girl a little older than me. She’s wearing a blue dress and white heels. She goes straight to Mr. Kai with a file in her hand, “Good morning, Sir,” she says and hands Mr. Kai the file.

“Good morning, Daeun,” He greets back and looks at the file. I see his face frown a bit, “These are the client feedback?”

“Yes, sir. It was e-mailed to me last night,” She gulps and reviews his face reaction. She suddenly takes recognition of me, “Umm, sir. Who is she?” She asks shyly as my eyes widen. Embarrassed, I lower my head. Of course, she must be wondering why a stranger is with her boss.

“Oh. This is Ms. Kim,” Mr. Kai answers with a small smile. He then shifts his gaze on me, “Would you mind waiting inside my office, sweetheart? I just have to talk to my secretary,” I flush at his endearment. Apparently, I’m not the only one surprised. Daeun gives me a look as I sheepishly make my exit and repressively open the translucent door to Mr. Kai’s office.

His office is big. I see a transparent glass used as a whiteboard with a lot of writings and reminders on it, plastered on the wall behind his mahogany desk. His office chair is black as expected and has a big backrest as well. There are trophies behind him, recognition for advertisements and movie trailers. I look out the window which had the blinds raised up. There’s a couch across his desk and a table on the center. By the other end of the room, placed is a long wooden table with a coffee maker and colored coffee cups with matching colored saucers aligned on the rack. There’s a door next to it, probably his own storage room but I can’t tell.

“I’m sorry about that,” He speaks up as he enters the room. I turn to him and smile sheepishly, “Please seat down Ms. Kim,” Somehow being called Ms. Kim was rather a disappointment after he had called me sweetheart earlier.

I take a seat on the couch and he leans on his desk after putting his coat on the coat rack by the door that I didn’t even recognize when I entered the room, “So,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter