Chapter 22

Love is so Bad

 

Donghae’s POV 
 
A few weeks passed since our accident meeting at Hyejin’s work place.  After that, I’ve been going to her work place frequently.  I’m their frequent customer now.  Everyone knows what I order so they don’t have to ask for my order anymore.  Everything’s been going great between Hyejin and I.  It seems like she’s getting more comfortable around me.  She’s talking to me how she would use to back then.  She’s beginning to act like the Hyejin I fell in love with.  It was the day where Hyejin is working by herself so I decided to stop by and help her.
 
I looked at the clock and saw that it was closing time already.  I went into the store and I heard her say something.
 
“I’m sorry we’re closed!”  She came out when she heard no one answering. “OMO. Donghae why are you here again?”
 
“I thought you would need some company while cleaning?” I grinned at her.  She just smiled at me.
 
“Thanks. That’d be nice.” I helped her wash the dishes and clean the tables.  After we were finally done with closing the shop, I asked her if she wanted to go grab something to go eat.
 
“I’m sorry but I have plans. Maybe next time. Thanks for helping again. I’ll see you later.” 
 
She had plans? With who? Her boyfriend? This whole time that we’ve been talking, I haven’t even asked her if she had a boyfriend or not.  Of course she would have a boyfriend though.  Idiot Donghae. Why are you still trying to get back with her.  You shouldn’t get your hopes up.
 
Hyejin’s POV
 
When Donghae asked me to go eat with him, I was happy that he asked me but I remembered I made plans with the girls.  But why would he ask if I wanted to go eat with him?  Shouldn’t he ask Sunye since she’s his girlfriend. I’m so confused.  I arrived at Ri In’s place and everyone was there already.
 
“Unnie! You’re here!” Minji rushed towards me and gave me a hug.
 
“Hey Hyejin ah!” Kim came over and gave me a hug too.
 
“Group hug!” I heard Seulgi unnie saying.
 
“Bear Hug!” Ri Innie added.  I saw Jessica and Tiffany coming over and joining the hug.
 
“Yah. You guys act like I’ve been missing for years! I saw you guys just last week!” I smiled at them.
 
“Unnie, why are you in such a good mood?” Minji asked me.
 
“What are you talking about?”
 
“I don’t know. I have this weird feeling that you’re in a really good mood right now. Spill it unnie!” This kid knows so much about me.
 
“Yes spill it Hyejinnie!” unnie added.
 
“Arasso. I’m in a good mood because I was able to finish work early! And because I get to see you guys!” I told them.
 
“I know that’s part of the reason.  But there’s another reason. Spill it!” Ri Innie said.
 
“I hate you guys. Why do you guys have to know me so well?” I pouted at them.
 
“Because we’re your bestest friends.” Jessica teased me.
 
“Alright I’ll tell you guys.  Because Donghae was helping me. Happy?” I took a pillow and hid my face.  The girls were all laughing at my action.
 
“So is it safe to say that you’re still in love with oppa?” Tiffany asked me. I looked at her and smiled.
 
“Yeah. I’m still in love with Donghae. But I don’t think it’s possible to get back together.”
 
“Why not?” Kim asked me.
 
“I think he’s going out with Sunye. So there’s no chance for us.”
 
“But-” Minji was about to say something but Jessica covered . I stared at her suspiciously.
 
“What do you know Minji? Jessica?”
 
“Nothing unnie.” Minji told me. I didn’t believe her but I won’t push her to tell me.
 
“Whatevers. Let’s get this girls’ night started already.”
 
We spent the whole night watching chick flicks and gossiping about everything.  We also listened to each others’ boy problems.  When they were talking about their own love lives I instantly thought of Donghae. Sigh.
 
-A Few Days Later-
 
Work has been really busy.  There’s been so many customers lately.  I haven’t seen Donghae in days.  I wonder what happened to him.  Sometimes I would secretly wish he would come in and help me.  I guess I can only wish at this point.  Maybe he’s with Sunye that’s why he doesn’t come anymore.  Hyejin ah, you should stop thinking about him now… he belongs to someone else now.  A few hours passed by and it was finally closing time.  I was doing my daily routines when I heard the door open.  Can’t they read the sign?  I went outside to tell them that we were closed and to my surprise, I saw Donghae.
 
“Donghae? What are you doing here?”
 
“Do you need help?”
 
“Ani. I’m almost finished. I just need to turn off the lights and lock up.”
 
“I’ll help you lock up.”
 
“Thanks.” I went to go turn off the lights and met Donghae in the front.  He locked up for me.
 
“Do you want to go grab something to eat?” He asked me.  I would go but I remembered that I had to pick up my niece and bring her over to my mom’s.
 
“I’m sorry but I have plans tonight. Maybe another time?” I could see that he was disappointed. “Do you want to accompany me? I need to go pick up my niece and drop her off at my mom’s”
 
“I’d like to.” He smiled at me.  I was about to walk to grab a cab but he stopped me. “I brought my car. Let’s go.” He took my hand and walked us to his car.  He opened the doors for me and told me to get in.  He started the car and drove us off to my aunt’s house.  The car ride was quiet but it wasn’t the awkward kind of quiet.  It was the peaceful and nice kind of quiet.  We finally arrived at my aunt’s.
 
“Wait here. I’ll go pick her up.”
 
I walked up to my aunt’s house and rang the door bell.
 
“Hyejin ah, you’re here. Please take care of Soojinnie for me.  Tell your mom thanks again. Soojinnie say hi to our auntie.”
 
“Hi auntie Hyejinnie.” She greeted me cutely.
 
“Aigoo. You’re such a cutie!” I carried her.
 
“How’d you get here?”
 
“My friend took me here.”
 
“Who?”
 
“Donghae.”
 
“Your ex husband?!”
 
“De.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Nothing. Just go.” I saw my aunt smiling at me.  She’s so weird. 
 
After Donghae dropped Soojin off at my mom’s house, my mom invited him in for tea.  Umma tried stuffing him with lots of cookies.  Poor Donghae.  I couldn’t help but laugh though. My mom still treated him like he was her son. After spending thirty minutes, we decided to leave.  My mom told him to come anytime he wants. Donghae offered to take me home.  We finally arrived at my place and he got out of the car and opened the door for me.  
 
“Thanks for tonight Donghae.” I told him. “I’ll see you later.”  I was walking towards my apartment when I heard him calling my name.
 
“Wait Hyejin ah.”
 
Donghae’s POV
 
She was about to leave. I had to know now if I still had a chance with her.  I needed to know now if not I’ll go crazy.  This is it…. 
 
“Wait Hyejin ah.” I told her.  She stopped walking and turned around.
 
“Yes Donghae?” God, the way she said my name drives me crazy.  What are you doing to me Hyejin ah?
 
“Do I- Do I?” I stuttered.  Why am I even stuttering?
 
“Do you what Donghae?” She asked me curiously.
 
“Do I still have a chance with you?” Wait. What am I doing? Of course I don’t have a chance with her. Stupid Donghae. You just ruined this friendship! And that’s the closest relationship you can get with her. “I’m sorry about what I just said.  Of course I don’t have a chance. You probably have a boyfriend since that’s why you were busy a few days ago. I’m sorry. I’m going to shut up now and leave.”
 
“Wait Donghae. I think you misunderstood.  Yes, I was busy a few days ago.  But I wasn’t busy because of a boyfriend.  I was busy because I had a girls’ night with the others.  And I don’t have a boyfriend.  And why are you asking me this? Aren‘t you with Sunye?”  She doesn’t have a boyfriend?! 
 
“I’m not with Sunye. I’ve never been with Sunye.  I still only see her as a little sister.  I made it clear to her that I will never love her.  So do I still have a chance with you? Please tell me the truth. I need to know or else I’m going to go crazy.  If I don’t have a chance, just tell me so I can try and forget you which I don’t think is going to happen.  I tried to forget about you these last two years but failed. Lee Hyejin, I’ll ask it again… do I still have a chance with you?”
 
“You’re an idiot Lee Donghae.” I heard her say.  Why am I an idiot? What did I do wrong? That’s not the answer I was hoping for.  I felt her hug me. “You should’ve told me sooner.  This whole time I thought you were with Sunye.  Did you know how much it hurts when I thought you were with her?” I hugged her back. Does this mean I have a chance?!
 
“Does this mean I have a chance to win your heart again?”
 
“Ani.” I broke the hug. I looked at her. “You don’t need to win my heart again Donghae.  I told you this once already… I gave you half my heart years ago and I never got it back.  It’s always been you Lee Donghae.” I smiled at her.
 
“And you’ve always had the other half of my heart. I love you Lee Hyejin.” I pulled her into a hug.
 
“I love you too Lee Donghae.  You better not hurt me this time.” I broke the hug and smiled at her.
 
“I promise you this time that I will never ever hurt you again.  I’ll make it up to you. I promise.”
 
“Good.” She smiled at me and pulled me in for another hug. “Don’t ever let me go.”
 
“I promise.”
 
That night we made love to each other and we showed each other how much we still love each other. We were finally together again and I plan on never letting her go again.  Lee Hyejin, I promise you that I will never let you go again. You’re stuck with me forever.