Chapter 21

Love is so Bad

 

Donghae’s POV  
 
It was my first day of officially being back.  I didn’t know what to do.  I have no activities at all since most of the Super Junior members enlisted already… Only Kyuhyun and Ryeowook are still here.  I was at the SM building visiting the SM town people.
 
“Oppa!” I heard someone calling me.  I turned around and saw Yoona coming towards me with Jessica and Tiffany.
 
“Hey guys.” I greeted them.
 
“Welcome back oppa!” Jessica told me.
 
“Thanks Jessica.”
 
“Hyung! You’re back!” I heard Minho saying. I looked over and saw him running towards me.  Taemin and Minji were with him.
 
“Welcome back hyung.”
 
“Welcome back oppa.” Minji greeted me.
 
“Thanks you guys.” I smiled at them. It was awkward between Minji and I because of everything that happened.  I know she’s really overprotective of Hyejin.
 
“Oppa who took you home yesterday?” Tiffany asked me.
 
“Hyung and I took the cab home. Why?”
 
“Just wondering. So all three of you took the cab home?”
 
“Ani. Just Leeteuk hyung and I.  Yunho went with Seulgi and Hyejin.” This caused everyone to look at me.
 
“You saw Hyejin unnie?” Minji asked me. I nodded my head at her.
 
“How was it hyung?” Minho asked me.
 
“It was okay. We just acted civil towards each other.  That’s all.”
 
“Oppa, answer us honestly… how do you feel towards unnie now?” Jessica asked me.
 
“Do you still love unnie?” Tiffany added.
 
“I-I still do.  I never stopped loving her but I know I have no chance.  I hurt her badly so there’s no way that we’re getting back together.  She probably has someone now. It’s Hyejin. Every guy wants her.” I told them.
 
“H-Hyung, it’s okay.” Taemin tried comforting me.  None of them said anything… I guess she has someone now. I guess I’m late.
 
“It’s okay guys. I already know that I stand no chance. Don’t worry. I’m going to go now. I’ll see you guys around.”
 
I left the SM building and started walking around the streets.  I smelled something really good.  It was fresh bakery… the place looked nice and homey so I decided to go in.
 
“Hi. Welcome to Pastry Heaven. How may I help you?” I heard someone asking me  behind the counter.  I couldn’t see her face because she was too busy putting the cakes in the display.  Her voice sounded very familiar.  “Can you give me a second. I’ll help you after I’m done with putting these in.”  She was finally finished.
 
“Hyejin?”
 
Minji’s POV
 
After Donghae oppa left, we all looked at each other.  I feel bad for oppa. You can tell that he regretted what he did in the past.  You can see that he clearly still loves unnie.  I guess he was right… he never stopped loving unnie after all these years.
 
“I feel bad. Why didn’t we tell him that unnie doesn’t have someone else.  Why didn’t we tell him that she never dated anyone other than him.” Tiffany asked us all.
 
“I don’t know. Maybe it’s better this way.” Taemin said.
 
“How so?” I asked him.
 
“Babe. I don’t know. I just feel that hyung should earn noona’s love back.  He needs to prove that he still loves her. He can’t just get her back like that.  He has to work for it.”
 
“Taeminnie! You’re a genius!” Jessica squealed.
 
“I know I am noona.  But how so?”
 
“Let’s get them back together! But we’ll have to test Donghae oppa first.  You can clearly see that he still loves her but he has to prove it to us that he won’t hurt her again like this. And you can tell that Hyejin unnie still loves him.  She’s still in denial.  Let’s plan something out okay guys?  This will be between us!” Jessica unnie told us.  I couldn’t help but laugh.
 
“This is okay with you right Minji ah?” I heard Minho oppa asking.
 
“De. Why would you ask me that?”
 
“Because you’re super protective of your unnie, baby. So we just need to know if you approve of them getting back together.” Taemin oppa told me.
 
“I approve.  I really love them together.  And Jessica unnie is right. You can clearly see that they still love each other.  Let’s help them get their happy ending!”
 
“Alright. Noona, you come up with the plan and tell us when you’re ready.” Taemin told Jessica unnie.
 
“Alright. I’ll come up with it later.  Tiffany and I have to go now. We’ll see you guys later.” Jessica unnie told us.
 
Jessica unnie, I hope your plan works out for the best.  I hope it helps Donghae oppa and Hyejin unnie find their happiness once again.
 
Hyejin’s POV
 
“Hyejin?” I heard someone calling my name.  His voice sounded really familiar.  I looked up and saw Donghae across from me.
 
“Donghae-ssi. What are you doing here?” I asked him.
 
“Just call me Donghae. Drop the ssi.  I smelled something really good here and I decided to go in and check it out. I didn’t know you work here.”
 
“De. I’ve been working here for a while now. What would you like Donghae?” I don’t know why but when I said his name that way my heart was beating really fast.
 
“What do you recommend?” He asked while smiled at me.  I really miss his smile. God Hyejin. What are you saying?! You’re over him! 
 
“Ums, you should try our oatmeal cookies with ice cream.” I told him.
 
“Alright. I’ll get an order of that.”
 
“To go or would you like to eat it here?”
 
“I’ll eat it here.”
 
“Okay. Why don’t you go sit down and I’ll bring it to you.”
 
“Arasso.” I saw him walking towards a table and sitting down.  Some of the customers finally realized that it was him and they started taking pictures of him.  They were crowding around him asking for an autograph.  Should I go help him?  He looked over at me and his eyes were pleading for my help.
 
“Excuse me.  I’m sorry but this isn’t allowed in here. If you do it one more time then I’ll have to ask you to leave.” I told the girls.
 
“OMO unnie! For a moment I forgot that you work here! Unnie, are you and oppa back together?! Is that why he’s here?” They asked me while smiling.
 
“I’m sorry but we’re not back together.  This was all a coincident.  He smelled something good in here and came here.  He doesn’t even know that I work here. I’m sorry to disappoint you guys.” They all frowned.
 
“Arasso. We’re sorry oppa. We’ll leave you alone now.” The girls left to their tables again.
 
“Thank you for saving me.”
 
“No problem. I’ll be right back with your cookie and ice cream.” 
 
I went to the kitchen to prepare his dessert.  I took the best piece of oatmeal raisin and put in onto a plate and scooped one scoop of ice cream on it.  Maybe I should give him another scoop.  
 
“Here’s your oatmeal raisin with ice cream.  Enjoy it.” I told him and walked away.
 
“Wait. Can you sit with me? I don’t like eating alone.” He told me. I  turned around.
 
“I’m sorry I can’t. I’m working right now and my boss would kill me.”
 
“Is your boss here?”
 
“Ani.”
 
“Then he won’t find out. Sit with me.” I looked at him hesitantly.
 
“Fine.” I sat across from him and he was smiling like a little kid.
 
“So how are you?” he asked me.
 
“I’m good. How does it feel to be back?”
 
“It feels good. It feels that I just enlisted yesterday.”
 
“I see.”
 
“What time are you done with work?”
 
“In about an hour? Why?”
 
“Just wondering. Are you closing the shop too?”
 
“De. I’m the only one working right now.”
 
“Do you need help?”
 
“Ani. It’s okay. You should just eat and leave. I need to go now. Bye Donghae.”  
 
I went back to the counter and started cleaning out the food.  I went to the kitchen and washed the dishes and everything.  After washing the dishes, I went to the front again and saw that Donghae already left.  I don’t know why but I felt sad when I saw that he wasn’t there.  A part of me hoped that he would stay behind and help me.  Hyejin, you crazy fool. Why are you hoping that he would stay back?! How many times do I have to tell you that you’ve moved on.  You don’t love him anymore.
 
I went to go clean all the tables and pushed all the chairs in.  I went to turn off all the lights in the back and the front.  I was now standing in front of the store trying to pull down the cage to lock the store.  I couldn’t reach it and I was trying to jump and get the rope.
 
“Are you sure you don’t need any help?” I heard someone asking me.  I turned around and it was Donghae.  He was smiling at me.  I didn’t say anything and he walked over to me and pulled down the string.  He locked the place for me. 
 
“Thanks” I told him.
 
“No problem.”
 
“What are you still doing here?”
 
“I don’t know. I kind of knew that you needed help so I just waited out here to see if you needed help or not.  I guess I was right.”
 
“I see. Well thanks again. I’m going to head home now. Bye.”
 
“Wait. Can I walk you home?”
 
“It’s okay. I can get home by myself. Thanks though.” I was about to leave but he grabbed my arm.  I felt a sudden jolt when he held my arm.
 
“I want to if that’s okay with you.”  Should I?  I guess it’s not going to hurt if I let him.
 
“De. Let’s go.” I led the way and he just followed me.  We were walking side by side and we didn’t say anything.  I decided to start the convo.  “So where do you live now?”
 
“I still live in the Super Junior’s dorm with Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, and Leeteuk hyung.”
 
“I see.”
 
“Do you still talk to them?”
 
“De. I still keep in touch with all of them.  They visit me often.”
 
“I see. Why’d you leave the music industry?"
 
“I no longer had that passion for music anymore.”
 
“I see. I’m assuming that you love your life now?”
 
“De. I do. Here’s my place. Thanks for walking me home. Bye. I hope you get back safely to your dorm. Bye.” 
 
“Bye Hyejin ah. I hope we can see each other again.”  He walked off.  I didn’t notice that I was smiling after he said he wanted to see me again.  I then realized that I’m still in love with him.  I wanted to tell him that I loved life when he was in it. Lee Donghae, what are you doing to me?