REVEAL 05. Swan Princess: A Fresh Start for All.

4xU. The ComeBack: AWARD SHOW SEASON!

REVEAL 05. - SWAN PRINCESS: A Fresh Start for All.

 



And with that, the decision was finalized, a contract signed, and the girls got to work. It wasn't easy, adding someone new and then throwing all of them into last minute comeback preparations and discussions about potential variety appearances. 

"No, Chase, move your hips more! You can no longer be Stiff-Jointed Chai, and you," He eyed the new girl next to Chase, "You're behind tempo, and I know you can do better. If I can do this choreography, you all can do it and even better. Again!" He blasted their new title track, counting loudly and clapping the beats for the girls to follow and hit with their new routine.

The schedule was more intense than what the girls were used to, the long hours at the dance studio and recording booth taking most, if not all, of their free time that wasn't dedicated to sleeping. On top of that, they were filming their new M/V in Hong Kong, where MAMA was being held this year. It was all new and exciting for the group. Their first official comeback as 4xU, minus one. People were aware of who they were, and most of the questions and initial reactions of being gone for as long as they were had settled down. They could talk about other things, branch out and do more with their careers.

Between all of this, they hadn't found the time to move their newest addition into their new room at their dorm. She sighed. This whole packed schedule was a lot to handle, she couldn't remember being this busy in the past ever. Then again, she and her groupmates didn't travel as much out of Seoul, sticking to indoor sets or easily accessible places in South Korea.

She was definitely happy to be active and apart of a group again, but she had to admit, she was definitely overwhelmed. Speaking of which, she noticed the overly excited member running over almost immediately after their choreographer called 'break', somehow finding a video camera and turning it on. 

"Hellooooo you~ Are you new?" Chase grinned as she slid over to her, making the other laugh. "Kind of~ " She teased.

"Ah of course, to the group, yes, to the world, not quite, hm? Why don't you introduce yourself?" She then made it so the camera was only on the other girl.

She smiled, "Hello, I'm 4xU's new member Fayza, also known to some as Forti's female member Somin..." Chase made silly sounding cheers, making Fayza laugh again. Sangmi called Chase over from the introduction, complaining about "you're always slacking off when it comes to perfecting the dance, get over here and watch Naeun do it!!" and the Thai rapper scampered off. Fayza smiled as she watched her run over to the leader and Naeun.

"How can Chase be so... idol like?" She asked herself. 

"She just wants everyone to be happy, you know?" Fayza almost jumped out of her skin, turning to see Sophie standing behind her, watching her friend try to mimic Naeun's hip movements.

Fayza sighed, "Oh, it's you Sophie. I didn't see you there."

"How? I'm a tower compared to you~" Sophie grinned, making Fayza flush.

"I didn't mean -- I wasn't!!"

"Woah there," Sophie quickly backtracked, "I'm just kidding, Fay."

Fayza sighed in relief. She didn't want to offend anyone, they gave her a chance since Forti was on a sort of indefinite hiatus. Sophie patted her on the back. "You're doing well, don't worry too much besides the regular stuff, you know?"

She nodded, though she knew that it wasn't that easy. There was history and some tension within the group she had just been added to. She knew this from the past and even with the present day when she auditioned.



FLASHBACK TO AUDITION DAY...

This was so nerve-wracking. Somin was honestly so shocked that she had made it this far in the audition, despite her years of training. Just because someone's been in the game for 10 years doesn't mean that they have priority. She knew that just as well as anyone else. And looking at the other girls, she knew it was tough competition. Somin let out a deep breath she didn't know she was holding. 

"Ryu Somin?" Tina's voice jolted her out of her thoughts, and she looked up to see the door being open, Eunbyul walking out and sitting on the floor, her face scrunched up as she thought about what happened in the room. Somin gulped. What happened in there?

As Tina waited with the door open, Somin stood up wearily. Guess she was about to find out. "It's so good to see you again, Sominion~" Chase grinned, making Somin pout at the cringey nickname.

"We're really glad to have you here, really." Sangmi added, a soft smile on her face towards the younger. "Thanks..." Somin said shyly, smiling a little. It was nice to see these girls again, she had trained for Faerietale and 4xU with them. Her lifted spirits dampened a little when she saw that Venus was frowning at her. Guess she really does still hate me...

"We're going to ask you four questions, so please just answer freely and honestly, okay?" Sophie, one of the newer members, piped up. She had the same energy as Chase, Somin noticed.

"What style of dance do you enjoy the most?" Somin didn't have to think about this very much. "Freestyle." She said immediately, "Well, that's vague, because I'm sure any dancer likes the freedom..." She trailed off, losing her train of thought for a minute. The girls waited patiently. "Oh! Uhm, I usually lean towards American hip-hop style with my dancing."

Chase grinned. "Yeees, that's my Somin!" Somin blushed. 

"What kind of sound do you look for in a group?" was the next question. Somin tilted her head. "Well, I've trained for a lot of concepts, but you guys know I was apart of Forti, which is on hiatus... Again, it's more towards hip-hop, but honestly, as long as I enjoy the feeling of the music, I'm not very picky..." Somin already had at least ten artists that came to mind when it came to songs and music that she liked. 

"Any individual or sub-unit ideas?" Somin's brow knitted in confusion. "...What?" She asked after staying silent for a few minutes. "I don't quite-- I don't understand what you mean."

JJ was the first to speak up, "Well, Woollim allows us to be more of a self-produced kind of group -- since many of us are long time trainees with strong ties to the industry or are Faerietale members who chose to continue under the label. We can approach and pitch ideas for sub-units, solo debuts... We already have two sub-units and a solo project planned so far -- well, the last one has been pitched, but there's no confirmation from the label... yet."

"Oooh..." Somin nodded, understanding it a little better. "I guess... I'd love to do a co-ed subunit with Lex and Euijin, my other groupmates, when they're done with the Unit... I'd like to participate in a sub-unit with the new girls, and maybe the... the oldest? Or the original, since... well..." She swallowed, feeling eyes burn into her as she spoke, "I did... I did train with them both times..."

Sangmi nodded, smiling. "I think it'd be amazing if some of us could join Forti in a sub-unit at some point. It'd be a lot of fun and new!"

And then the last question. Somin held her breath as it was said. "Why 4xU? Why not wait for your groupmates to come back, or go solo?"

Somin was quiet for so long that the girls thought she had forgotten about the question, but just as Tina went to repeat herself, Somin opened .

"Forti... I love my groupmates, they're precious to me. But they're going out to be apart of another boygroup alongside the Unit, which could put the group on hiatus forever...." She paused, thinking of 'Bigflo', the boy's all male group, and the show they were in, "And I'm not ready to go solo just yet. I... I just want a fresh start. I want to perform and make music... And 4xU is founded on those two things, I think... Fresh starts and making music... Right?"

The hestiancy in Somin's voice almost made the girls falter as they thanked her and asked her to leave. Her last answer stuck with all of them, even at the end of the interviews and the dicussion opened up. 

"So, everyone is a worthy candidate, for sure...." Sangmi began, looking through the documents they had on each trainee. "But..." She pushed Somin's file out. "She stood out to me the most."

"Really?" Venus couldn't hide the annoyance in her voice, despite not making nasty comments. Sangmi sent her a warning glare, making Venus sink into her chair into almost a pout. They'd be talking about this later.

"She's trained 10 years under Woollim, twice in the potential line up for Faerietale and then again for 4xU, before being placed in the co-ed trio Forti." JJ read off, "I can relate to the long time trainee thing. She's a year younger than me,"

"Which makes her the same age as me~" Chase sung. "Hard to believe with your attitude." Sangmi rolled her eyes, making Chase whine at the insult.

Tina almost looked sad, "Forti had... has, so much promise as a group, but when Bigflo came out, Somin was nowhere to be seen...and then the Unit... She's been left out of a lot of opportunities."

"She deserves a fresh start like us." Naeun nodded, "I think we should give it to her."

"So let's vote... All in favor....?"

A few hours later...

Somin still couldn't believe that she was chosen, even when she was being introduced to 4xU's choreographer, their vocal coach, and of course, the famous manager Su-chin. 

"Hello...." She greeted shyly, bowing politely to her new manager. Su-chin let out an audible sigh of relief. "Thank god. You're calm and quiet. I like you already!" The Chinese woman grinned, "Just call me Su-chin, or jie. No formal language." 

"You're excited because she won't run off and be loud or get in trouble, aren't you Su-chin?" Sophie laughed, especially after Su-chin made a pointed look towards the rest of the girls. "Do not taint this one, I know I'll be fighting for Jinsol when she gets back from KPOPStar." 

Sangmi interrupted, "Hey, Su-chin... do you think Somin could come with us to MAMA?" A surprising question, but soon the girls were antsy for the answer. They wanted her to come. Somin was almost overwhelmed by the amount of acceptance coming from the girls.

"I don't see why not," Su-chin made eye contact with the new member, "She's a member of the group, isn't she?"
 



The first night at the dorm was strange for the girls, trying to figure out Somin's daily routine and fit it into the one that they had established since moving in together before debut.

"So, Somin... any love life we should know about?" Sophie asked, causing the older to almost choke on the soda she was drinking. "Why would you ask that???"

"Tina was dating N of VIXX." Sangmi put it bluntly, making Somin even more confused. "What??? Really???"

"Yupp," Chase popped her 'p', "For almost two and a half years now. So, if you are, let us know now so we can help you out if you want it to be on the downlow."

"I... There's only one thing I could think of," Somin admitted, "And that's my uality. I'm biual...?"

The room went quiet, and for a minute Somin was terrified that she had said the wrong thing. "....oh my goooood same." Sophie blurted, turning red as she exclaimed the statement rather loudly. Somin let out a sigh of relief. She wasn't alone. Soon, Sophie had pulled her over, gushing over how beautiful girls were and who she'd die to meet at MAMA. Somin couldn't help but laugh at her excitement to find another person of the same uality. It was really nice, though.

"Okay, cool." JJ nodded, "There's nothing wrong with that. I'm glad you told us!" 

Sangmi, on the other hand, felt like quietly screaming on the inside. How... did Somin do that??? Just, how did she come out so easily? It was like any other fact about her instead of this huge burden that laid on her chest. Maybe it was shame she had felt from GiGi finding out and then the ugly rejection from her ex boyfriend about her uality hindering her, but Sangmi felt the overwhelming urge to call Tian. They were close friends and she knew about the whole "struggling with uality" ordeal. Maybe she'd be able to help her clear her head and get some advice for how to come out too.

"You know," Sophie drawled, "It's actually statisically proven that queer people usually are in close quarters. Where there's one, there's at least two more. So, who is it?" It was meant as a joke, but Sangmi turned bright red. Oh dear god, murder her. 

"So, what else, any friends besides the obvious: Euijin and Lex?" Sangmi wanted to cry when the subject was suddenly changed by Naeun. She could relax and focus on learning more about her new groupmate. She'd come out when she was ready.

"Well, I have this one friend, Bohee -- she's an another and we've been best friends for years." Somin immediately perked up at the thought of the other girl, "We cosplay together and she's an author~"

"I'm sorry did you say COSPLAY." Sophie gawked, suddenly grasping Somin's hands in earnest, "Let me into your world. Help me embrace my nerd culture!!" 

Somin wasn't expected to get along with Sophie so well, but it was definitely a relief that most of the group mates seemed to like her. 

Chase laughed as Sophie gushed about various games, animes, and comics that she'd love to have a costume of, "You're such a nerd."

"Uhm, shut up, you totally cried when we watched Ano Hana together."

"IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL STORYLINE ABOUT FRIENDSHIPS AND ACCEPTING DEATH, SHUT UP." Chase screeched, chasing Sophie around the room.

Somin blinked, looking at the sudden chaos. She turned to Naeun and JJ for help, but the two shook their heads. "No, it's always like this."

"Uhm, actually, Guilty Crown was better." Venus shouted, and soon the three were arguing over what made an anime beautiful and spellbinding.

Well, Somin sighed, it was nice having peace and quiet in her dorm for a while. But it was definitely nicer having a change.

 


(A/N: TRIGGER WARNING FOR THOSE SENSITIVE TO SUICIDE OR MENTIONS OF IT. This is a heavy part of a member's story, so I wanted to include it, especially with Fayza. But I don't want to re-open old wounds to those who have lost someone or who have tendencies towards such thoughts. I love you guys so much, okay? The next part of bold is the end of the tw, so please take care of yourselves if you don't think you can handle it! It's okay.)


"Soooo, what's the name?" Was the first thing that Lex asked when he picked up the phone. 

"Is Euijin there?" She ignored his question. "Hey Somin~" Euijin's voice echoed, signalling to her that she was on speaker between the two. She smiled.

"It's Fayza." She admitted, "Chase, Sangmi, and Naeun helped me pick it out." She was happy to have sat with the girls when she said she wanted stage name, with Chase coming up with the initial idea of her stage name's meaning, while Sangmi and Naeun helped her pick one out that suited her. "It means victorious."

"How fitting." She could feel Lex's smile from the other side, and it made her smile widen. "How's the show going, guys?"

"Pretty well, Lex rose in the rankings recently." 

"Really?? Congrats!" She was so proud of both of them. It wasn't easy being on a survivial show. She couldn't imagine how it must be for them... and Jinsol, now that she thought about it.

Lex coughed, "Enough about us. I want to know about you." Euijin hummed in agreement, "Yeah! What's the dorm like? Are you moved in yet?"

"Well...." She looked around, seeing an empty side of her room, as well as the empty side of her roommate's.... Well, supposed to be. "I'm not quite sure I'm adjusted. And... Well, I don't get along with everyone..."

"We'll beat them up if they're not being nice!" Lex was quick to jump to her defense, which usually would make her happy, but Fayza frowned. "No, no. I have noodle arms anyways. But..." She trailed off, trying to find the words. The boys waited patiently for her on the other line, never once making a noise.

"I'm happy to be with the people that I've trained beside for so long," She began, "But... there's still the issue of being with Venus, who's... well, she's supposed to be my roommate... But she flat out refused to sleep in here..."

Euijin spoke up, "So I know that there's tension there, that much was obvious seeing her and you being in the same practice room. "But do you think you know why?"

Fayza bit her lip. "Well... She had a sister... We were friends." She took a deep breath. Xingyue. "She and I got along because we were so quiet, but... she never told me she was... She was bullied by so many. I had no idea, I was being moved around so often in groups, and soon we only saw each other at breaks... No one messed with her around me... So when..." She blinked back tears.

"Xingyue was so young, when someone told me that she had taken her life that night, I didn't know what to do -- it was traumatizing. I couldn't believe it, and I was devastated that I... I couldn't do anything to stop it.So when Venus came, I wanted to be her friend -- I wanted to look after her for Xingyue. But the second I mentioned that i knew Xingyue, she was cold. She didn't want to talk to me. At all... I guess she doesn't like me because of her sister..."

Lex and Euijin were quiet, processing the heavy story. "It's possible," Euijin admitted, "But that's definitely something you're going to have to talk about. Especially with you sharing a room with her."

Fayza nodded in agreement. "Yeah. You're right. As usual..."

"Get a ref for that, too." Lex mentioned, lightening the mood a little. Fayza continued to chat with the boys for a few more minutes, before standing up once she hung up. I need to talk to Su-chin... She should be a calm person to help us...

 



IN ANOTHER REHEARSAL ROOM:
"I can't believe we're doing this." 

"What?" Naeun looked over her shoulder towards her fellow member. Sophie adjusted her bun, "We're literally pulling an IDYLL."

"What's wrong with that?" Venus asked, frowning. 

Sophie sighed, "I'm just saying, I think they're concept is more exciting than ours -- I like y or mature themes... This..." 

Venus rolled her eyes, "You say that because you're just jealous of them being first. This song is super unique."

"It fits your vocals really well too, Sophie." Naeun offered, looking over her music sheet as she tapped out counts. Venus, Naeun and Sophie were currently putting in extra hours to make sure that their own sub-unit would be ready to go soon after group promotions were completed. One problem, though.

"How are we supposed to debut without Cla-- I mean, Jinsol?" Sophie asked. The youngest would be the perfect addition for the group, and she was supposed to be apart of the unit -- however, with her still going strong in her show, there was no telling whether she'd be able to even participate.

Luckily, Su-chin knocked on the door, "Girls, can I interrupt?" 

"Can you answer a few questions if we let you in?" Was Naeun's immediate response. Su-chin stuck her head in, "Depends on what it is. But go for it."

Sophie jumped up, "Will we be able to debut with our small child Sol?"

"Hmm..." Su-chin stepped into the rehearsal space, thinking about the time frame, "Actually, yeah. Group promotions for the seven of you end at the same time of her contract, so she should be able to jump right into it if she's up to it."

"Oh good!" Naeun smiled, clapping her heads. Venus smiled, "It wouldn't be the same without her."

"It gives people time to adjust to our Fayza, doesn't it?" Sophie mused, remembering their new addition. "That's nice, people can see Jinsol again after Fayza and then, we become whole once again!" She gave a dramatic flair to the end of her sentence, making the others in the room laugh. 

Su-chin sighed in relief at the natural segway. There wasn't a good way to bring this up, anyways. "Speaking of Fayza, Venus... I think you and her and me need to have a little talk..."

"No." Venus's answer was instanteous. Su-chin frowned. "Look, I know your sister is still a very sore topic... But, holding that against Fayza, don't you think --"

"Why didn't she think?!" Venus exploded in Chinese, shocking everyone in the room. "She knew Xingyue and didn't even notice anything was wrong!"

Su-chin frowned. "Xingyue was quiet and timid, Venus, you know this. She wouldn't trouble someone with her problems, especially if they were her friend."

Unfortunately, Venus deflated a little at that. It was true to an extent. Xingyue hardly bothered anyone with her problems, letting others do what they wanted and when they wanted with no complaint. She was a doormat, for lack of a better word. 

"I just..." She mumbled in Korean, her eyes burning, "I don't know why... Why people could... How could they miss something like that until it's too late..."

"Some people are really good at faking it." Su-chin's voice was soft, comforting, "Well, until they can't bear to look at themselves and to go on living a lie. Faking something like happiness or contentment... It can be exhausting."

Venus was quiet for a while, calming herself from the conversation. "...I'll talk to her. Nothing may come of it, but... I'll talk to her."

"We only ask for you to try, dear."
 

(A/N: THIS IS THE END OF TRIGGER WARNING. ENJOY THE SOCIAL MEDIA UPDATES!)

 Shared by 4xU social media:

 
WELCOME NEW MEMBER: FAYZA! Also known as Somin from Woolim's co-ed group FORTI, she is joining 4xU as a new member and supporting her fellow FORTI members Lex and Euijin while they participate in THE UNIT. 

comments:

@lex_of_bigflo: CONGRATS SOMIN!! Happy you're going out there with 4xU! Let's all be successful and maybe even more adventures as FORTI in the future!

@writingbohee93: OMG, This is my bestie everyone~~ Pleaase support her and her new group! Love you girlie, I'll call you when I get back from my overseas book talk :)

@withloveamalee1995: Aaaaah, she's so pretty! I heard of FORTI, but dang, I'm listening to them and wondering why they aren't still making bops???? PLS 4XU AND FORTI COMEBACK QUICKLY.

(@almostangely_jinsol liked official_4xU's photo)

@almostangely_jinsol: happy to have you, Fayza unnie! I hope we can get along well when I come back :)



ANNOUNCEMENT: ROOKIE QUEEN: 4XU FIRST EPISODE PREMIERE DATE.

 


ATTENTION 4XU FANS: You've got a day and time where the eight episode deal of ROOKIE QUEENS: 4xU will be showing! The eight episodes will air on Fridays at 5pm, for eight weeks! When interviewed about it for the press release, member SOPHIE said that "the show is really just our every day lives -- no filters and no script. I think fans who enjoy our vlogs or variety shows will really like that!" With new member FAYZA being added to the group right before a New Year comeback, it should be refreshing! What do you think of the girl group? And what kind of shenanigans will they get up to in these eight episodes?

comments:
 - omg, aren't they copying BTS??? :T They did this show FIRST. I know Chase is a Suga-wannabe, but dang. 

- THIS IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA. With the new member, and then this being their first year together as 4xU, it'll make them more accessible~ I can't wait to watch!

- I hope they do a bunch of fun things like on Showtime and other shows rookie groups do -- maybe even reveal a few things for fans!! (aka the fandom name, hint hint~~~)


 

Author's Note
CONGRATULATIONS, sein1 for creating the Swan Princess member FAYZA. I just kept coming back to all the thought and individuality you put into your app, and I knew I had to pick your character! 
All characters submitted will more than likely have an appearance in the coming chapters, whether as other original girl group members, soloists, or actresses working for Woolim! 

Also, the section on suicide -- recently, with Jonghyun's passing, it hit me that depression, bullying, and the like is quite common in this world. I wanted to try to see how I wrote it -- is it realisitic enough? Does it do the topic justice? Please, if you're able to read the section without mentally or emotionally damaging yourself, let me know? I want to be able to write on more topics like this, but I want to do it justice and as accurately as I can.

AFTER THIS, IT'S MAMA AWARDS. I've actually been screaming about this one for a while, tbh. It's one of the FIRST chapters I had outlined, so I reallllllly hope you all enjoy it TT^TT

As always, let me know if you want me to re-read your app so I get your character's personality right, and if you haven't in a while, please comment just to check in.
blue_gem_diamond_jewel.png