IDYLL 01. Making Film

4xU. The ComeBack: AWARD SHOW SEASON!

IDYLL 01. - Making Film.

 

              

The last week of promotions for the full group of 4xU were just about done, with Clara now regularly attending school and the other younger girls resting and doing other activities. For the four oldest, though, things were far from slowing down. At the moment, the girls were in the dance studio, focusing on perfecting their dance practice for filming. 

"Chase...." Tina tried to stiffle a giggle, "You look so stiff dancing in heels, can't you just..." She demonstrated one of the moves, looking natural and fluid with the heels on. Chase groaned, pushing her hair back. "I'm trying, really, please believe me... I'm just... tired." And no one could argue with that, they were all exhausted. The oldest four had the most going on, and with their subunit debut fast approaching, it felt like there weren't enough hours in the day. 

Chase was always at BigHit until the early hours in the morning, helping her best friend with his mixtape and his own MVs that were soon to be released, JJ and Tina were couped up with their acting lessons and practicing for auditions that they'd been offered, and Sang Mi was hard at work perfecting the music video and editing, putting her degree to good use. The fact that the four were even motivated to film the dance practice was a miracle. 

However, if you were to ask the unit about their exhaustion, they'd of course admit the grueling schedule was a bit much, but it was worth it. The girls all signed up for this schedule and the dive into this side of their music was incredible. 

Chase attempted to mimic Tina, but to no avail. She breathed heavily through her nose, obviously frustrated at her lack of ability. JJ jumped in, "Here, Chase, instead of trying to completely swivel your hips in the circle and then kick, why don't you do something like this --" She demonstrated, walking her member through the move. When Chase was able to complete it without feeling ridiculous and looking good, the small group cheered for her. 

"Okay, we should try another take now, if that's okay?" Sang Mi spoke up, watching the scene. The other three nodded, heading to their beginning positions while the camera was fiddling with to record properly and the back up dancers filed into position. They were about halfway through a take when two people quietly snuck into the room, behind the camera and silently followed along in the choreo, which made the older girls smile and finish strong. 

"Woohoo!" Sophie and Venus cheered as the girls wrapped up the take, hands full of food and bright smiles. "Take a break for lunch, girls!" Su-chin smiled, coming in with drinks from the vending machine from down the hall. JJ smiled, "You guys are sweet for bringing us food, thank you!" 

"We only brought food because Cooking Moms aren't there to help us," Venus admitted, pointing to Tina and JJ, who did most of the cooking in the dorms. The two laughed. "I see how it is," Tina teased, "We're only appreciated when we're not around!" 

"Clara's still at school, then?" Sang Mi asked Su-chin, who nodded, "She's trying to stay on top of work, so she's going to after school study halls and tutoring hours with Dino. She won't be done for another few hours, at least." The oldest nodded, sitting down with the rest of the girls and began eating. Naeun showed up a few minutes later, having a seperate appointment that she had to keep, but still wanted to share a meal with the group before heading to the dorms to rest.

"It's so weird with all of us not doing everything together anymore," Sophie admitted, taking a sip of her soda. Naeun nodded, "It really is. Only three of us are in the dorm consistently, if Clara was there more often, I think it'd feel more similar to the beginning of the year." Venus nodded, "Right? It's still unfair that you four got to travel across seas for your music video while we only went to Busan!" 

"I second that!" Sophie raised her chopsticks in the air, motioning to the oldest, who were laughing at the younger girl's antics, "Only two months of training as 4xU and they decide, 'oh, let the older girls go to LA, the youngest can stay and train'! When's our travel trip?" She whined to Su-chin, who only laughed, shaking her head, "All in due time, you know how it is." 

Sang Mi nodded, "I just can't believe it was so long ago that we did do that all together, though..." She looked at the other three, who started to remember the beginning of that journey to now.


EARLIER THAT YEAR...

 Eight girls sat around the table, nervously twiddling and trying to make small conversation amongst themselves. They had just been announced as the official line for 4xU within the company, and were brought in to discuss their concept and debut schedule. 

Su-chin entered first, an encouraging smile on her face. "Don't be afraid to speak up, okay?" She said quickly before the CEO of Woolim entered, arms full of folders and papers, arranging them and then sitting at the head of the table, hands neatly folded as he surveyed all of the girl's faces, trying to gauge the feeling of the room. 

"First, congratulations on becoming the official lineup for our newest girl group, 4xU," He smiled, "We're very thankful that some of you have decided to come back and trust us, and that the new ones are willing to give this concept and group a chance," He nodded towards the original five and the new three, "But there's a lot to discuss with your upcoming debut later this year." Sang Mi, Tina, and Chase nodded, agreeing with him.

"We want to give you all the freedom and the control that the original five originally lacked at their first debut." Mr. Lee admitted, "So this is a very open discussion. We want to know what you want for a concept as a group, for your music, your development as artists and idols." The room was eeriely silent at the end of his opening statement, the girls looking nervously at each other. They'd had introductions and the girls had all moved into the new dorm they'd be sharing, but since then they hadn't had real bonding time yet. 

After a few minutes, Su-chin let out a loud, audible sigh, "We have talented producers, lyricists, and composers as well as talented and versatile singers, dancers, and rappers, and you want to let us decide what you first bring to the industry? I find that a little hard to believe, having heard you talk about your dreams and favorite kinds of genres." She pointed out, eyeing each girl individually. 

"I personally like 4Minute's style." Chase spoke up, "Not many girl groups are doing the harder, more hiphop or R&B styled music. I really like that idea." Sang Mi and Venus agreed with her point.

"I like that idea," Tina pointed out, "But I'd prefer an lighter debut to ease back into the scene. An easy listen that everyone would be able to appreciate but still would anticipate more coming from us instead of just bursting in with heavy fire." Naeun, Sophie, and JJ motioned to agree with Tina. 

"We could have something leaning towards that style that you three like as a secondary promotional track," JJ offered, "That way people listening to the full mini album would have a taste of what was to come." Chase nodded, thinking about it. 

Mr. Lee gestured to the files and papers stacked in front of him, "Well, we have a lot of options here. These are all submitted tracks from you who've written music over the years or by producers who want to work with you this time around." The girls gapped at the amount of choice they had, knowing they'd have to be selective to prove themselves to the industry that they had what it takes. It made it easier to have so many options and routes of which to go down.

Sang Mi looked over at the young 15 year old sitting across from her, remembering her age. "We should do a fresher, more innocent image right now. Clara's young and should be of age before we take a turn for a y or too mature concept." The youngest's head shot up, her eyes wide and looking at everyone who was agreeing with the oldest. 

"S-s-sorry..." She mumbled, loud enough to be heard. Immediately Tina shook her head, "Don't be sorry! We're so happy to have you, Clara, really. We just have to wait a couple of years before going out and trying more mature concepts. We're known to be patient and for this," She made eye contact with the shy girl, "We're more than willing to wait. This group wouldn't be this group without you, okay?" Clara flushed, nodding and squirming in her seat.

The stacks of unfinished tracks, lyrics, and even full completed sheet music with polished lyrics were passed around to the girls, each speaking up when they found something interesting or a potential debut track. Chase let out a short laugh about an hour in, surprising everyone. 

"Sang Mi, you remember this, right?" She showed the music to her fellow member, who nodded, "Yeah, you started that but never really finished, but submitted it anyways. It was a good start from what I remember."

Chase scoffed, "I had a barely there base line and one line of trumpet. This is hardly even a song, but I lost inspiration and couldn't finish it." JJ and Tina had made their way over at this point, looking over the one sheet of music, humming the beginnings. "Actually... this is really good." JJ noted, pulling over a chair, "If you wanted to add more dynamic on top of that you could..." She grabbed a pen that was nearby and began jotting down a possible transition and buildup, Chase looking over with wide eyes. "Oh my god, that'd be amazing!" The Thai member commented, going over the music in her head, interest renewed. "It wouldn't work for a full group debut though..." She said dejectedly, "The sound's for a smaller group, eight members would overwhelm the melody...."

"Sounds like a sub-unit in the making." Mr. Lee commented, looking over in interest. "You four seem very keen on this song. Would you be interested on finishing it and using it?" Sang Mi looked over, "You're not serious, are you?" 

"Very." He responded, "You girls have been gone for a while, and this music is begging to be used in some way, shape, or form. I wouldn't be against forming subunits now and discussing your debuts. But you four," He pointedly looked at the oldest, "Have been training and doing so much, I think you could handle debut training and subunit training at the same time. Only, though, if you're able and willing. I won't force you to do anything you are not interested in doing."
 

The girls nodded, and Chase looked over at the other three, "You all ready to put out a bomb track?" With their affirmations, the CEO smiled. "Excellent, I think that the younger four should also have a chance, don't you think?" And thus began the sorting of the music into seven or eight smaller stacks, one for each subunit they thought each type of lyrics or track would fit, and a few rejected songs right off the bat that they knew they didn't want to do. It was a long, sometimes stressful and upsetting process and it took up most of the day, but the girls were ultimately satisifed with the songs they'd be putting out for the next year or so. 

It took even longer, though, to set up the schedule and deadlines for the first unit composed of the oldest four. Chase and JJ were definitely more pressed for time than they'd like, and for a couple of weeks spent a lot of time either in practice and lessons and then most of their nights in Chase's studio for the composition process of the song.

"What if we tweaked this for the breakdown here --" JJ proposed, adjusting and pulling a line of chimes down into an earlier spot and playing it back, listening for it with Chase, who nodded, "Okay, so we'd have to go back hard with the brass here..." She made a few clicks, playing back the track, before clicking her tongue and shaking her head. "No... let's up the drum again." JJ raised a brow. "Again? You've already done it three times."

"Yeah, but it might help with the tempo with the breakdowns and then back up to the chorus -- like that!" Chase cheered, swirling as she listened with a satisified grin. JJ nodded in time, listening attentively to the instrumental. "Sounds good. Do you think the other producers will be mad that we changed so much from the end of the session earlier today?" 

Chase shrugged, "Only one way to find out." She saved their changes, sending the file to the other producer of the track. "Surely she won't be too mad, after all she did give us the freedom to do so." JJ reasoned, glancing at the clock. "Geez, that late already -- or should I say early?" It was closing in on four in the morning, and Chase stifled a yawn as she logged out of the computer. "Seems so. At least we have our free day tomorrow, we can attempt to catch sleep before we're called back in." 

JJ nodded. "Thank god," She stretched, ruffling her hair and standing up from the chair. "We should start on lyrics soon." JJ noted, walking side by side with Chase as they exited the building and headed towards their dorm.

"Yeah, we should. Give it a few days for it to be finalized, for us to be recharged..." Chase agreed, already longing for her bed. JJ was just as tired, and it was silent the rest of the way home.

About a week later, the older girls were sitting on the dorm's living room floor with notebooks, scribbles in several different languages, some crossed out and others circled. 

"We've decided on a late summer song," Sang Mi repeated, pointing to one circle with her pen, "And we want to be able to not feel like it's a burden." 

"Too late." JJ groaned into a pillow, with Chase giving her a thumbs up in agreeance. They'd been trying to figure out lyrics for hours, even just a title, but nothing was fitting the instrumental no matter how many times they listened to the song. 

Tina sighed, "We did agree to this. It's too late to give it to one of the company's lyricists, too." Their deadline was the end of the week so they could start recording. In other words...

"We're screwed." Chase moaned, flopping onto her best friend's lap, tossing her notebook to the side. Tina hummed, playing with Chase's hair before getting her hands lightly slapped away, "Tina, I love you, and I love you playing with my hair, but I will seriously pass out and never wake up if you continue doing so." Chase explained.

"Tina, what do you have, lemme see --" As she reached for Tina's notebook, the Viet member panicked and pulled the notebook close to her chest. "I-i..." Her face turned bright red. "I don't know, I was thinking about summer and that's when Hakyeon and I started dating so it's really mushy and embarrassing and you'll just make fun of me --" Chase snatched it and tossed it to Sang Mi as Tina was distracted with her babbling, "Too late, prepare to be embarrassed!" 

Tina sputtered and squirmed as Sang Mi and JJ read over her little notes and lines, before Sang Mi circled a few things and set it down. "Actually, Tina... Some of it is really good, like --" JJ pointed to one of the circled bits, "I only want to be with you, I swear and Meant to be, you'll always be mine it's actually really cute, so let's listen and find if it'll fit anywhere and try and play off of these --"

"I Swear, I Swear, I-I Swear--" Chase pretended to mock over one part, and JJ all but slammed the pause button and rewinded, "Do that again, Chase, only wait like, two half-beats." Chase obeyed, and the group went silent. 

"I think... I think we just found our title and our song's concept." Chase noted, "Thanks for being gross and embarrassing, Tina!" She managed a small smile, "Let's get to work then!" 

The melody and a few lyrics and words were tweaked when meeting with the company's lyrics and producers, but when the girls came in at the beginning of the next week, the song was finalized and the subgroup had a sort of renewed, buzzing energy. They were excited: They had found their niche and the fact that they mostly did it themselves made them all the more happy and eager to show it to the world.

UPLOADED ON 4XU YOUTUBE ON 08/03/2016...

The video began with a very close close up of Chase's face, before she leaned back and grinned. "I have succeeded!!!" She cheered, holding the camera out to arm's length. Upon her adjusting herself, they were able to see that she had her maroon Thailand passport in one hand, and the background was none other than the passing terminals of Incheon. "Guess what?" Chase spoke again, running ahead a bit and adjusting the camera's angle, catching the walking figures of Sang Mi, Tina, and JJ behind her. "We're baaaaaack~" She sang, while Sang Mi rolled her eyes at Chase's all too familiar antics and JJ and Tina managed a small laugh. 

"I'm sure everyone's asking, 'where are you four going?' which is a very excellent question, seeing as we have passports and we're most definitely at Incheon." Chase talked to the camera casually, waving her passport and Tina waving her green Vietnamese passport, as well as catching JJ's dark blue U.S. passport and Sang Mi's dark green Korean passport as they waved as well. 

Chase paused to fix the focus so the intended audience would be able to see the four of them clearer, "Well," She began, "We're actually escaping the country, never to return! Goodbye, farewell~" She made the dramatic gestures, only to laugh nervously and pull her arms back closer to her and the other three beginning to crack up. 

"She almost hit a businessman, Chase really will have to leave the country." Tina joked, patting Chase's shoulder and smiling at the camera. Chase made something akin to a pouting face, before shrugging and smiling and rambling about the weather, what they ate for breakfast, and the stores they were passing on the way to their terminal. 

"I'd tell you where we were going and what we were going for --" She cast a look to the side, looking to someone (more likely than not Su-chin) for approval, "Ah, am I threatened to silence? Or may I run my mouth again?" 

Su-chin's voice came from the direction Chase was looking, "Just upload it after the announcement and to the release date. Please don't ruin and spoil everything." 

"Yeah Chase," Sang Mi teased and came closer to the camera, "Don't ruin or spoil anything!"

Chase gasped, "How dare you! I make everything better!!"

Tina held onto her shoulder, laughing, "Sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night, dear." Chase's shocked and dramatic betrayed face turned to the camera, before focusing on JJ. "JJ, this betrayal, tell me you're seeing it!" 

JJ slid her sunglasses up onto the top of her head, "You see betrayal, I see sass mastery." Causing more laughter and Chase's dramatic responses as they sat in waiting.

"Flight --" The voice was muffled for the rest of the announcement, whether it was because of the intercom or because of Chase covering the speaker input on the camera, no one knew. JJ looked at the camera and to Chase for some sort of clear sign, and sighed in relief when she got one, "Thank god you can hardly understand people over the intercom. We can't let them know where we're going!"

Chase lifted the camera and adjusted herself so all four of the girls were in the same shot, "So we have to go off and do something super important for our comeback... debut... whichever you'd prefer to call it," She grinned, "But we'll go and come back safely, right guys?" The other three nodded, waving goodbye to the camera and gathering their things to prepare for boarding. "Bye everyone, hope you enjoy what we're going to put out~" Was the final goodbye before the screen cut off.


The seating arrangement on the plane ended up being Chase and Tina behind Sang Mi and JJ, with Su-chin across the aisle from them. It was about three hours into the thirteen hour flight, and Chase was doing what she did best to fill up the hours and cure her boredom -- teasing and talking with her best friend.

"How will you ever contact Hakyeon now, Tina?" Chase teased, fiddling with the on flight entertainment system as she did so. Tina laughed, rolling her eyes. It was all in good fun, "I need a camera on all the time, honestly. That's the only time," She held up a finger to emphasize, "And I mean only time I don't hear his name out of your mouth. Are you sure you're not dating him?"

Chase pretended to consider the thought for a moment, "While his melanin game is strong enough to be on my level," She gestured to her tan arm, "Unfortunately, his heart is yours and it's been yours for a very long time, and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon." 

Tina's response was short but quick, "And he has mine." Which earned a very estranged gagging noise from Chase, making Tina roll her eyes again. She loved her friend, but goodness could she be overdramatic. 

"My hair has permed itself that is how greasy that was, I'm talking to JJ and Sang Mi, at least they won't be disgusting!" Chase leaned forward, forcing her face inbetween the space of the seats in front of them, trying to get JJ's attention.

"That is not a good look for you." JJ noted, seeing Chase's squished face. Sang Mi choked back a laugh, "I don't know, it's gotta be harder for her to talk this way, I might want to get used to it." 

"First off, rude," Chase mock glared at their leader, "And second, nothing can stop me from talking. Ever. But more importantly, JJ," She turned her attention to the other girl, "Can we visit your parents?"

"Oh!" JJ would've been lying if she said she hadn't thought about asking to be able to see her parents, but she was shocked that Chase had brought it up so casually, "If we have time, I'd love to take you all to see them! But I know we have to go to the beach that we all went to when I was growing up, it has a pier with street vendors and games, it's so nice!" 

Sang Mi grinned, "Sounds like fun. The claw machines aren't rigged there, are they?"

"I'm pretty sure all claw machines are rigged. It's gotta be a world-wide law or something!" JJ joked, smiling brightly as they discussed her hometown. Tina managed to leer around the corner and be caught up in the conversation, talking about things they definitely wanted to do if they had time in America and what JJ would suggest doing when they got there -- again, if they had time. They were on a strict and tight schedule, with little time to spare or any wiggle room for adjustments. If they wanted to free time, they'd have to make it by being good at what they do. 

IN LOS ANGELES:

They were given three days and two nights to adjust to the time difference, but even then, they were preparing for the music video shooting. Su-chin had brought the jet lagged girls to a salon the second day, sitting them down and discussing the styles wanted with the stylists.

"Su-chin, I forget that you studied in Canada sometimes." JJ yawned as she stretched in her chair, making herself more comfortable as Su-chin chattered away in English. The manager smiled, "Only my college degrees. But I'm pretty proud of the accomplishment as well." She patted JJ's shoulder, "Now remember, the dye is only temporary, and we have to redye for the whole unit's music video in a few weeks." 

"Prayer circle for JJ's hair and that it survives," Sang Mi mused, knowing that dye and chemicals could be hard on the hair. Tina nodded, pursing her lips as the stylist led her over to the shampoo station, wetting her hair and preparing it for her cut and style. Chase eyed her stylist's own container of mixed up dye, "Pray for us all. If our hair falls out I'll sue Woolim." 

Several hours later, their hair was freshly done and they were about to head back to the hotel for more rest when Tina paused before getting in the car. "Hold on, I have to do something really quick --" She turned and headed back into the salon, her words and excuse falling on mostly sleeping ears. Su-chin waited patiently with the driver until Tina came running back out with a plastic bag in hand. 

"Ah, JJ, here." She placed the bag in JJ's lap, jolting the girl from her sleepy state. "Oh, what's this?" JJ asked, her eyes heavy as she reached into the bag, pulling out the high quality brand of hair protectant, specfically for bleached and blonde hair. JJ looked over at her group mate, eyes wide in disbelief.

"The blonde looks great, but we have to take care of your hair, right?" Tina smiled. JJ wanted to sputter, to say thanks, but her mind was still so tired and all she could do was hold the bottle close to her chest. Tina patted her knee before settling in her own seat to get some sleep on the way to the hotel, "I know. Don't worry about it, okay? We're all in this together."

The fourth day was easier, the girls had adjusted to the different time zone and were up getting their makeup done at the first filming site, a small restaurant with a few people willing to be included with the filming. They were all jittery, being the first time back and even though this wouldn't be released until much later, it felt like the filming was the seal that meant they were back and they'd debut once more. 

Sang Mi had finished first, having to meet with the director and get the basics of the filming. "There are a few scripted scenes, yes, and we have all the places mapped out, but for the most part, we'd like you to just have fun and enjoy yourselves." The director explained, going into detail of the scripted scenes and where they'd be shooting for the day. 

"Okay, thank you, I'll go --"

"Oh my GOD, Sang Mi, we have a CAR." Chase's loud voice echoed throughout the site, earning laughter from the crew and extras as the girl oogled the pretty convertible they'd be using for the film. "Pretty sure the only one behind the wheel will be me," Sang Mi noted, looking at the script's set up, "I'm the only one with a valid lisence." Chase whined loudly, but didn't further complain as she launched herself into the back seat, bare feet hanging off the edge. 

"Don't -- Actually, do that, three of us need to be in the car anyways." Sang Mi noted, going over what the director discussed with her for the filming. "Anyone want to volunteer to be the waitress?"

Tina raised her hand, "I'll do it, that way Chase doesn't have to move and you can drive the car." She took the apron from the staff member, thanking her and tying it around her waist, greeting the extras with a smile on her face and thanking them for participating.

"I'm ready when you are!" She called, grabbing her tray as she glanced over the part she needed to do, hurrying into a starting position as the other two hurried over into the car, while Chase simply looked over at the chaos and sunk further down into the entire backseat. JJ snorted looking back as Tina was walked through different scenarios that they could use for the beginning. "She's too pretty and smart to be a waitress. Also, stop hogging the backseat, she has to jump in when we pull up!" 

"Moooooom~" Chase mocked, stretching her legs out further just to spite her. "She is, though." Chase agreed with her earlier comment. Sang Mi watched the ordeal through the rearview mirror with a smile, always watching for one of the staff's cue to pull up for the scene from the corner of her eye.

"Now Chase, don't make me turn this car around!" Sang Mi deepened her voice, and Chase let out a chortle. "Y-yes 'Dad'." She managed to get out, having to sit up and subsequently take up less room to ensure she didn't die while laughing. JJ laughed too, and as they were recovering and still laughing, the crew gave them a signal and Sang Mi revved the engine, pulling forward and moving forward with the scene for the music video. 

It took about three different takes, but soon enough they moved on to the road, wanting to get most of the driving out of the way since they were simply renting the car for the few days of shooting. This took a lot of the time, but JJ recognized the roads and pointed out different places that she remembered from her childhood, waving at the beach as Chase and Tina partied to their song that was blasting on repeat in the backseat, the top of the convertable down and Sang Mi just going along with it all, her driving careful and making a few comments about JJ's tour guide abilities.

"You were pretty young when you left LA, right?" Sang Mi commented as they took a break for lunch, the cars outside of a beach side grill that JJ had insisted on stopping at. 

"Yeah, but I do remember a lot. It's a huge place and I'm a little surprised I recognize some of the places still." JJ admitted, taking a bite into her hot dog. Tina sipped on her coke, "Well, this is your hometown, regardless of the time away, it's still going to be familiar. If we went to any of our hometowns, I suspect we'd be doing the same thing as well." JJ nodded. It was really nice to be back, however many the years it had been. 

"This doesn't feel real either. I think this is too much fun to be a music video shooting." JJ further admitted. Chase shrugged, "Yeah, I agree, but I'm not going to complain! I'd rather have fun than be forced into doing something I don't like." 

Tina swallowed a fry, "Agreed. I hope that it continues to be fun when we're all together," She referred to the younger four still back in South Korea, using this time to record and start planning their own subunit debut, "For a long time." The four made noises and comments of agreement, and JJ sighed as she looked out onto the sunny beach. 

"Let's make a promise," She spoke up, "That no matter how hard it is, we'll always be positive and make the most out of it." It was cheesy, and the other three mocked groaned and made such comments, but they all were serious when linking pinkies and making it so. Su-chin came over, large sunglasses covering her eyes from the sun, "You guys ready? We're heading to the next location." The four swallowed the last of their meal, grabbing their cups and heading to the car, blasting the summer playlist of American songs that seemed familiar but no one knew all the words to as they went off to their next filming site. 

"The grocery store?" Sang Mi asked as they got their touch ups done, looking at the script, "There's not much here on what to do." 

Su-chin handed them some money, "Pretty much. Buy whatever you want, wreck havoc on the grocery store, don't kill each other or anyone and don't break anything." The film crew adjusted their cameras, ready to go whenever they were. JJ grinned, "Let's go, if you have questions, just ask!" And they grabbed a cart, and Tina made an executive decision to jump into it. "I've been walking and doing more filming that you!" Was her excuse, JJ laughing and pushing the cart along the aisles, pointing out things that she remembered and reading off names and descriptions and explaining them when they couldn't get it. 

Running around the grocery store was fun, despite almost running into a teenaged boy who had no idea what was happening (and ran off when Tina glared at him for staring) twisting the cart and grabbing things that they didn't even know the taste of because it looked good or had a fun cartoon character on it that beckoned them (as Chase claimed while hugging the box of Lucky Charms to her chest). After a while, the girls sorted the things that they actually wanted to buy, and what they just grabbed because it looked interesting and probably wouldn't be devoured that night, and a smoothie shop caught Sang Mi's eye. "Who wants those?" She took count, and everyone raised their hand and gave their order. She and Chase went to go buy them as JJ and Tina checked out with their goodies. 

"Noooo!" Sang Mi screeched, the smoothies spilling over a bit onto her hands and the floor as she and Chase walked back. "That's most unfortunate, but at least they're ours and not theirs!" Chase handed the other two their smoothies before helping clean up with some napkins. Sang Mi held on more carefully this time and Chase grabbed some of the bags, all of them strolling out and back to the car. It was late afternoon at this point, and they still had one more filming site of the day. 

The beach would soon be a repeated memory as the crew lit up night cameras, night was falling and the four had changed once more, being told to stay in the light as much as possible and the cameras would want pop up shots of the four girls and then group shots, but to be aware of the lights, the camera, and screen time as much as possible. They handed JJ a disposable camera, who laughed because it was night and nothing couldn't possibly come out on film at this time of night, but she went along with it as the girls went along with their pop up shots, going into the water and getting scolded a few times for goign too far out of the light's range as they chased each other, trying to pull each other into the water and splash the others. 

"Okay, last scene for the night, we'll start bright and early tomorrow!" The director called, the crew giving them some of the bigger sparklers that let off smoke as well, and the girls followed the instructions, hoping to finish quickly and head back. They had fun, but the repeat of the scenes, the concentration on acting or being aware of the surroundings and of course the ever looming deadline that was fast approaching, the girls were tired and wanted to hang out in their room before the next full day of filming. 

The sparklers scenes were short lived because they didn't last long, but the girls put forth their best smiles and efforts before dragging themselves to the car so they could be driven back to the hotel. Su-chin sat in the front passenger seat, even in the dark night they could tell she was smiling, "You guys did so well! We'll get back as soon as possible so you can get some much deserved rest. I'm proud of you!" Her praise fell on mostly sleeping ears, the girls all huddled together in the back seat and tangled together, too tired to complain about the lack of space or their aching feet.

The hotel wasn't silent, however, with all four calling loved ones as they got ready for bed. Sang Mi had called Venus, checking in on the younger four, laughing as Sophie yelled about Naeun forcing them to watch a scary movie, to which the oldest of the bunch claimed that she merely suggested it, the other two were lying and now Clara was scared out of her wits. "Just be more aware, I still don't understand how you decided that'd be a good idea when Naeun's the only one who doesn't get scared --" She chided them as she ruffled her wet hair from the shower, sitting on the bed she was sharing with Tina. Tina was currently in the hallway, wanting privacy in talking to her boyfriend and was giggling as he talked about his day. 

"I swear, honey --" N sighed, only making Tina blush and laugh nervously at the now all too familiar phrase. "What?" He asked, his vouce curious. "Ah, nothing," Tina dismissed it, "You just say that a lot. Will you be free the weekend after next, then? We have a few days off and I miss you." 

He hummed and she heard pages flip through in the background, he had to be checking the VIXX dorm's shared calendar where they try and keep all their schedules in, "Should be free that Friday evening. Want to get some late night food?" Tina smiled, "Of course I do! I should head back in, I love you okay?" 

"I love you more." Hakyeon's voice whenever he said those words made Tina's heart flip everytime, and tonight was no different. She missed him so much and was counting down the days until she could see him again. 

"Jinny, you're doing it wrong!" Jessica's voice came through clear as JJ adjusted the face mask again. She rolled her eyes, "The only reason I'm doing this is because you told me to!" She was in the bathroom, side by side with Chase, who was brushing her teeth while Facetiming her friend, Yoongi. 

Jessica's sarcastic tone didn't go unmissed, "And you'll thank me later. Idol makeup is awful, I don't know how I kept up with my skin routine back then." JJ sighed as Chase laughed, looking over before she spit in the sink.

"Jess, don't you think you're being a little too picky... Even more so than normal?" JJ asked, taking her phone and walking back into the bedroom, where Sang Mi was finishing up saying bye to the younger members. Jessica's sigh came from the other end, "I just... I want you to take care of yourself. Being an idol is nice but it's also taxing on your health."

JJ nodded, understanding her sister's fear and worry. She's gone through it several times while a trainee and when Jessica and Krystal were both actively promoting and losing weight and sleep. It was worrying. "I'll be careful, I promise... Now, tell me about this move preview I saw for China, what exactly was going on there?" 

"Why don't you ever video call me when you're actually decent looking." Yoongi deadpanned as Chase brushed her teeth, foam all on and around and she grinned at him before spitting and rinsing , "Because, dearest Yoongi," She wiped off with a towel, "Who else would I bother with such an exclusive look on who I really am?"

"Listen I'd be flattered but I've gotten way too many 'exclusive looks' since I've known you." He rolled his eyes, falling quiet as he watching Chase pull her hair up and start washing her face, "Hey, when are you coming back? The boys keep bothering me about when you're coming over again." 

Chase finished applying the cream to her face and picked up her phone, "I come back next week and won't be free till the weekend after next, so probably then." Yoongi nodded, making a mental note of her arrival. "Cool. So explain to me again why I can't hear the song or know anything about this? I thought I got exclusive looks." 

"Because," Chase flopped on the bed, "Top Secret. And you said you had too many exclusive looks, so guess you'll be surprised as well as everyone else when it comes out." Yoongi mumbled something about being unfair when she saw his music all the time, but they moved on when everyone started coming back in, the exhaustion of the day hitting full force now that they'd gotten completely ready. Bidding good night to their phone calls, they all headed to bed, drifting off rather easily.

The next morning was filled with shots with them at the hotel, playign around so they could wake up properly, and by mid-afternoon they were at the car wash, still messing around and a few times of recording the dance. It was exhausting, the temperature was hot, but they were about to wrap up the filming with the last section: A full dance on the rocks next to the beach, which would be easy except --

"Why are we in heels???" Chase complained, letting the stylist adjust her top as she whined. Sang Mi just looked nervous, agreeing with Chase. They weren't exactly the strongest dancers on the team. Tina and JJ, however, were completely calm and ready to go. "Just go with it, we'll keep going until we get one clean cut and we'll be done, how's that sound?" The director asked, and the girls nodded. 

The first few run throughs were rough dance wise, but the energy was there and their love for the song and this concept truly showed. "Just one clean run through of the dance, girls, you can do it!" The director shouted as the beginning of the song came round again, the girls in position and the wobbled through the beginning.

"I'm really proud of you girls, just kill it this time around and you can have the rest of the day off!" Su-chin yelled. 

"You mean Sang Mi and Chase are going to accidentally kill themselves right?"

Chase's voice cut through as Sang Mi uttered nonsense protests, "TINA HOW DARE YOU." 
 


PRESENT DAY...

The music video had been finished and was at the end of post production with Sang Mi's help, and the launch of the music video, the mini-album, and a whole new round of promotions and shows for the girls to guest on. IDYLL had officially finished the dance practice video, going over their schedule with their first stages and where they'd be going the next few weeks, as well as discussing possible shows they wanted to go on. 

The four entered the dorm, only to be greeted by the younger four still up and ready to go, with Clara working on her Mandarin homework with Venus by her side, helping her pronounication and pointing out the mistakes that she was making in her writing. Naeun and Sophie were watching a drama, and Tina recognized it as Sungkyunkwan Scandal. "We should find another actor or actress we agree on," She noted as she and JJ went to sit by the other three, Chase bidding good night and sleeping (probably only to wake up at three in the morning and go to BigHit) and Sang Mi sitting down to help Clara as well.

"Maybe," Sophie shrugged, her eyes not leaving the screen, "You guys were there a while, what's up with that?" 

JJ sighed, "It took a lot longer than we thought to finish up the dance practice. We were all exhausted and it's catching up."

Naeun's brow worried, her attention now at the remaining three in the room. "Please take these next few days to sleep and rest. You guys are over working yourselves."

"Yeah, but we signed up for this." Sang Mi reminded them, "So it's not that big of a deal. We'll survive and then watch as you guys suffer through your own promotions." 

Sophie grinned, "At least we'll have JJ and Tina cooking again, so we won't starve after practice." Both of them shoved Sophie off the couch, then took up the rest of itto make sure she wouldn't get back on, keeping her at a distance so she wouldn't sit on them either. "See if we cook or bake for you ever again!" They teased and Sophie groaned and resigned to sitting on the floor as they watched another episode before heading to bed for some much needed and deserved rest.
UPLOADED ON 4xU's TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM:

'Do you SWEAR you can wait? IDYLL's 1st MINI ABLUM: AM I YOUR TYPE? COMING OUT IN 4 DAYS!

FAN COMMENTS:

@AMIURTYPE: I SWEAR THAT THESE GIRLS WILL SLAY ME!! LOOK @ MY GIRL SANG MI WITH THAT HAIR!!!

@#BUYFINEONITUNES: They look so happy!!! I hope Tina gets some lines TT^TT

@thaiidolpics retweeted and quoted: QUEEN CHASE IS HERE. PREPARE YOURSELVES FOR I SWEAR BC IT'S GOING TO BE LIT.

@4ubaes4lyfe: JJ is BLONDE and LOOKING AMAZING!! she's EVERYONE'S type, i'm sure of it!!!!


H-6 TO "AM I YOUR TYPE?"...

The hourly countdown was officially here and it was obvious that the girls were nervous, being up early in the morning with Youtube, Twitter, Melon, and multiple other social media and SNS sites up, anxiously waiting for the video and mini album to be released and for the music video to be officially uploaded. Around seven in the morning, though, Clara had to be taken to school and like usual, Sang Mi grabbed the keys and made the movements to do so. It was a normal occurance, Sang Mi taking the youngest to school, but she'd been so busy with practice, recording, and filming that she couldn't pick up Clara from school. 

The drive started off silent and Sang Mi's jitters causing her to start drumming to the radio, trying to keep her mind busy with anything to stop her worry. Clara fidgeted in the front passenger seat, her bag rustling as she kept moving. "U-unnie?" Her voice was quiet, but it was more than enough to catch Sang Mi's attention.

"Yeah?" She tried to keep her voice calm for Clara, but she knew that it was too strained, too forced to be called normal. 

Clara was silent for a few minutes before speaking, "You'll do w-well. I-i'll tell everyone in m-my class to buy your song!" She smiled, trying to be encouraging and give her eldest member some peace of mind. Sang Mi couldn't help but smile back at Clara's attempts. She really was well-meaning and a good kid. 

"You'll buy it too, right? And cheer us on?" She teased, the atmosphere lightening a bit and Clara's smile got a bit brighter. "Of course I will! I... Uh, I c-couldn't go to all of your s-stages though.." She seemed almost sheepish in admitting that, and Sang Mi couldn't help but laugh. "Class comes first, of course... Oh, and Clara?" She said as she made a turn leading up to the high school. 

She had Clara's undivided attention as she glanced over, "I'm glad that you're starting to come out of your shell piece by piece. Those lessons are helping."

Clara glowed a bright pink, "You think?? T-thanks unnie!" 

Sang Mi reached over and ruffled her hair, "Of course! Soon you'll be as rambunkeous as the rest of us!" Clara squirmed, "I... I just w-want to be more confident like all my unnies..."

"You will be. Confidence doesn't happen overnight. In my experience, I've told myself once a day that I'm important or that I matter. Soon enough I worked up to telling myself I looked good on top of that, and so on and so forth until I wasn't nervous and I started believing it." Clara took in the advice, nodding. "I'll try that today before the show with Dino!" 

At this point, Sang Mi had pulled up to the drop off lane and felt completely relaxed, "Alright, my little broadcaster, go do your radio show with Dino and let me know when you're done for the day." At this, Clara brightened up even more, in surprise and hope, "You'll pick me up too? I don't have to take te subway?"

"Of course," Sang Mi nodded, "We can't have your 13 brothers steal you away every day!" Clara shouldered her backpack, laughing and waving, "Okay, bye!! I'll call when I'm done!" 

She jumped out of the car, and Sang Mi caught her making a beeline to who she assumed was probably Dino (with all the students currently getting out of their cars and bustling about, it was hard to tell) and she started the journey back home, visibly relaxed and feeling more at ease about the big day being here. Whatever happened, the girls would promote and support each other as one team and it'd all turn out for the best, she reasoned, turning onto the main road back to the dorm. 
 


 

Author's Note
I got SO excited about writing this subunit once the characters were finalized -- the dynamic is so well balanced here and I really enjoyed writing them!! I'll be diverging on two different paths with updates when subunits are being promoted -- they'll be labelled as "SUBUNIT ##" for promotions and "AFTER STAGE ##" and include the characters in the sub-title as well! I hope to include more of love interests or friendships in this one, especially with the younger girls! Also, thanks for commenting and staying with me <333 A question for you: When are you going on Spring Break and do you have any plans? Personally, My Spring Break is next week so midterms are fast approaching! I'm not really wanting to go anywhere, so I'll more than likely be staying home and getting some much needed writing time in!!! ((: Anyways, enjoy and as always, comment with ideas or questions or concerns! (As for the fanclub name/color, it'll be revealed on the next WHOLE group comeback, which might be a little while, but I hope that's not too bad!) 
blue_gem_diamond_jewel.png