Chapter 9: Progress Comes With Effort

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mino’s hand dropped to the floor where he sat after another blood bag is emptied into his mouth.

After getting into the argument with Seungyoon earlier that day, Mino’s temper had led him to steal all the full blood bags he could find in the restocked fridge in retaliation before returning to his own apartment. 

Not a great idea but he couldn’t stay out in the streets. 

From the kitchen, he stared out into his living room. When did his comfortable world spin so out of control?

Wait, were there even control there to begin with?

He’s going to have to say, somewhat.

His body naturally stiffened as he heard the soft footsteps getting closer and a click of the opened door sounded off across the hall. The blood bag had been keeping his mind off of things but the little actions outside his door was simply so distracting.

Awfully distracting.

He shook his head, silently pleading the worst-case scenario to not occur.

A fist knocked against his door and he shut his eyes.

It happened.

“Mino?” The muffled voice called out. “Are you in there?”

If he remained silent, she’ll go away.

“I heard you come home.” 

All he could do was hope Haneul would return to her own apartment. Just having her outside his door was giving him this raging headache.

“I just wanted to see how you’re doing.” Her voice soon turns unsure. She was unsure about her decision to be standing here.

This situation suddenly reminds him of his argument with Seungyoon. The kid doesn’t think he could control himself? The kid thinks he’s crazy? Seeing how this wouldn’t do, Mino got to his feet and headed to the door. It’ll be faster to just physically shoo her away.

He’ll show Seungyoon just how not crazy he was. 

Pulling the door open, a stunned face appeared before him. “Can’t you tell I don’t want to be bothered?”

Haneul’s mind temporarily becomes a blank slate at his sudden appearance. “Were you hiding?” She had been outside his door for more than a minute just now. Mino didn’t seem like someone who would want to hide though.

“Hiding?” He scoffed before becoming sidetracked by the smell radiating off of her. He had accidently taken a huge gulp of it. “Please, from you?” Haneul was the least intimidating thing in the world.

“I didn’t say anything about me.” She innocently responded. She was only wondering but Mino’s behavior seemed to be slightly off. It hasn’t been as carefree as before.

“So what do you want?” Let’s hurry and get this over and done with.

Right. There was a reason why she was here. “…Your friend from earlier today.”

“Ignore what he said.”

“But, he seemed so concerned.”

“You see –“ Mino attempts to think of an excuse. “ – The boy is bored. He was just playing a joke on you and of course, you fell for it. Not a huge surprise.”

“A joke? It didn’t sound like a joke.” It didn’t seem funny to Haneul.

“That’s because you still trust people so easily.” 

Is that so? While thinking it over, Haneul couldn’t seem to make sense of things.

“That’s all, right?” Mino begins to shut his door.

“Wait.” Haneul’s hand shot out and Mino stared down at it before holding his breath once more.

“Don’t make movements like that.” He scolded her. It makes the scent travel.

“I have something else to say.” Haneul has been thinking about this often. Maybe, just maybe, she can make this arrangement more comfortable. At least for her. “Mino, there are friends among your kind, right?”

“Haneul, are you really asking me that?” Mino felt somewhat offended. “We aren’t that much different from humans.” 

Except his choice in meals – but Haneul successfully hid those words away. “So, you understand what ‘friends’ are.”

“Was your goal to waste my time?” Because she was doing a good job at it.

“Like, friends are honest to each other and they care for one another…”

“Haneul, out with it.” Mino urged her.

“Let’s be friends.”

Mino froze as his eyes shifted out into the hall. What the hell was she saying? “You want to be friends?”

She nods her head. 

“…You want to be friends in fear I would kill you?” He questioned once more. 

“Absolutely.” She answered adamantly.

A chuckle slips from his lips upon seeing that foolish expression on her face. This was another one of her solutions, it seems. She thinks the mere meaning behind the term ‘friends’ would serve as some sort of protection from blood- vampires –

Oh, what the hell. “Sure, why not.” Mino responds. And like he predicted, her face lit up due to his agreement.

Haneul reached out and held onto Mino’s cold hand before shaking it. “So, we shook on it.” She stated. “Repeat after me – as friends, we will care for and be kind to one another.”

Why did she always make him regret his decisions? With a sigh, he begins. “As friends, I will drain you dry when I’m hungry.” And once more, the expression on Haneul’s face sends Mino laughing. “Alright, I get it. Now leave.” His smile fell while he motioned her to go back with flicks of his hands. 

“We’re friends, Mino.” She made sure to state once more so he would understand while moving backwards into her apartment.

“Yeah, yeah.” He closes his door behind him and breathes out. 

And a thought suddenly comes to mind.

He may have possibly been doing this all wrong.

If he wanted Haneul’s blood to not affect hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter