Chapter 7: With Problems, You Discover Solutions

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mino awoken to a sudden change in the air around him. Calmly sitting up in his bed, he eyed the uninvited guest standing at his bedroom doorway. Watching him sleep as if that was something normal to do.

A sigh left his lips as his hand ran through his black messy hair. “Is there a reason why you are here bothering me in the morning?” He turned to his nightstand to find what time his clock held – 6 in the morning. He had another good two hours before he needed to prepare for the day ahead.

“You were told to make a visit.” The man stated curtly. “The Society ordered for your appearance.”

Mino should have known that to be the motivation behind the guest’s visit. “Doesn’t the Society have more essential things to worry about other than someone as insignificant as me?” Mino muttered, his voice still raspy due to his drowsiness. 

“You should already know what their current goal is – the next leader needs to be decided.”

“Jiyong, can you state your point?” The man is unnecessarily dragging this conversation out longer than it needs to be.

“Older generations need to nominate someone, you are the last of the older generation to make a decision.” Jiyong answers and clarifies. He couldn’t be more straightforward than that.

“My single recommendation wouldn’t make a difference. The vote can continue without me.” He wouldn’t know whom to nominate anyway. All the leaders so far have turned out to be absolutely rotten. Easily giving into the power the position provided – this new ruler would end up the same way.

Jiyong remained quiet, silently voicing his disapproval of Mino’s attitude.

Mino continued the staring game before deciding this would not end the way he wanted it to end. His stubbornness never wins over Jiyong’s. “…Fine. I’ll make a visit tonight.” 

***

Just as he locked the door behind himself, he could hear the light shuffling of a pair of feet inside the apartment across from him. He stops for a moment as to confirm his suspicions that Haneul has returned to avoiding him since they would usually leave around the same time for school and she wasn’t here. 

It seems his actions and words from last night may have scared her a bit too much – yet, he decided this was a good thing. A very good thing.

Just as he was about to take another step, his nose was hit with the alluring scent that snuck through the cracks of her door out into the hallway.

It was getting worse around here.

He suppresses the sudden urge to rip her door out of its hinges and decides its best to hurry from this spot. Not wasting a minute longer, he forces his legs forward, ignoring the huge desire boiling within him that told him to stay and to give in to what he so wanted in the moment.

Maybe it was time to have Seungyoon help stack his fridge with blood bags. Maybe it’ll help curve his craving. 

Yeah, that should do it.

***

“So, I’m staying here for a bit.” For today, he decided to skip his classes. It wouldn’t do him any good if he couldn’t focus anyway.

Seungyoon placed his attention on Mino, standing across from him at the table. “Do you not understand the premise of asking for permission?”

Mino didn’t understand the young man’s point. “…So, I’ll be staying here for a bit?”

“Close enough.” Seungyoon decided Mino always got what he wanted anyways. It would only be tiring for him if he continued this discussion. “But, why are you staying here?”

Mino took a seat and exaggeratedly looks around the home. “You got a nice big place here for just one person, refrigerator stacked with endless blood bags –“

“You’re avoiding that neighbor?”

He doesn’t respond right away to the younger’s question but instead sighs. “Is there a problem with that?”

“You decided on cold turkey, huh?”

At the rhetorical question, Mino remains silent. If Seungyoon already knows, what’s with the constant comments and questions?

“Did you pack anything?”

“Nope.” Mino responds curtly. He couldn’t bring himself to go back just for a moment to gather his belongings. Trust was a very rare quality and simply, he couldn’t trust himself.

“So what, you’re going to lie around until when?” Seungyoon questions.

“The Society called for me.” Even if he wanted to sit around all day, it wouldn’t last.

“For the voting?”

“They want me to nominate someone.” Mino didn’t have a single clue about whom to pick. He looked up and met Seungyoon’s gaze. “What about I nominate you?”

A snort quickly fell from the younger’s lips. “No, thank you.” Someone of his age and caliber would never be trusted to lead a whole society of vampires. 

“No, seriously.” The more Mino suddenly thought about it, the more it didn’t seem like such a bad idea.

“Don’t be ridiculous. You’re going to upset them more if you don’t take this sincerely. It’s a sensitive period.” Seungyoon warns him.

“Makes me want to do it even more.” If that’s the outcome, that is.

Seungyoon stares at Mino hard. “If they come after you, you’re out of my home.”

Well, Mino couldn’t have that.

Right?

***

“Kang Seungyoon.”

In the room built out of stone, the men who were gathered remained silent at the name.

Mino noticed the silence and looked around. “That’s who I’m nominating.” He clarified thinking they didn’t quite understand.

“We managed to get you in attendance and you decided to make a joke?” One of the elders displayed his disagreement.

Mino catches Jiyong’s eyes. The man was standing on the other side of the room but he knew Jiyong wasn’t very happy with his answer. But, what did they want from him?

“You asked me to nominate someone and I did.” He replied casually. “I’m the one not sure if you’re all joking.”

“Song Mino.” Jiyong breaks his silence and says his name warningly.

“The candidates are standing here before you – “ The elder motions toward the five men standing in a neat line. “You are supposed to nominate one of them.”

Mino sighed and shifted his gaze from one man to another. “Random question – why are there no women running for this position?” Just as the question left his lips, he felt himself get grabbed by the neck and his back pushed up against the back stoned wall.

Calmly, he stared at Jiyong, the man behind the action.  

“Mino, this is no time for your irresponsibility.” Jiyong states coldly.

“Then, I’ll be responsible.” Mino declares stoically. “I gave you a name, now let me be on my way.”

“Jiyong, release him.” The elder orders from behind before directing his next statement towards Mino. “I am aware of your inability to distinguish the importance of the Society’s matters but you are still required to come when called.”

Mino remained silent as the older man continued.

“And when you are called, yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter