Chapter 50: It Truly Begins

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I don’t have to remind you of your promise, do I?” Mino stared at the Elders sitting silently in their seats. It hadn’t been that long since they said so and Mino had every right to be smug as he stood there before them. 

“…What is your final answer?” They looked back at the group of ten people. “Have you given it some more thought?”

“My answer is still Seungyoon.” He is still confident in the individual standing next to him. 

“…Mino?” Seungyoon looks beside him. “We are here for Jeeun – “

“Jeeun has already received the worst punishment there is – isolation. So, the sooner we have a leader for the Society, the sooner the mess is cleaned up.” Mino continues, ignoring Seungyoon. 

“Seungyoon may have been the one to stop Jeeun but – “

“There are no ‘buts’. What you told us was the person who defeats Jeeun would earn the seat of the leader…you just admitted that Seungyoon stopped her so hurry up and hand it over to him.” 

Jiyong was of course unhappy about the whole thing but knew to keep his mouth shut. His minor role in this fight against Jeeun wouldn’t be enough to give him what he wanted. 

The group was met with silence before a sigh hits the air. 

“Seungyoon, thank you for continuing your service.” The Elder at the center confirms to Mino’s happiness. 

“Not so fast.” Seungyoon voices and automatically, a smile appears on Mino’s face as he tries to hide it. “About my father…I want an apology.” 

“An apology?” The Elder on the side reacts incredulously. 

“Yes, an apology.”

The Elder stares back at him hard before the one at the center gives in once more. “Seungyoon, the Kang family has always stood on the side of morality… your father selflessly gave his life to protect the Society against Jeeun - we do owe you an apology and mostly, gratitude.”

Seeing how everything is working out the way he imagined, Mino steps backwards with his eyes on the exit. Today didn’t seem like other days. Today felt like a good day because today wouldn’t be complete until he made his usual visit.

Seungyoon was quick to notice and calls out. “Hey, Mino.”

Turning around, he offered Seungyoon his attention. 

“I think today is the day.”

“Well, don’t try to hide how happy you are.” Taehyun comments. “It’s been over a month.” A month too long and he knew how torturing it was for Mino. 

Mino grins. “Thanks, Seungyoon.”

“What are you muttering about?” One of the Elders interrupt.

“None of your goddamn business, oldie.”

Jinwoo’s head snapped around. “Mino!” 

***

“Still nothing?”

Haneul sighs while making her way towards the Paranormal Club’s office. “It’s still a blur.” 

“The doctor did say you hit your head pretty hard when you fell.”

About a month ago, she woke up in a hospital with no recollection of anything that transpired that month or so. Even a month later, she still couldn’t piece anything together. She didn’t know what she was doing near the construction area of the University. She didn’t know why she was found 15 feet from the broken window on a construction platform stories high above the ground with a head injury. They never did tell her who made the call to the authorities either. Doctors told her that her memories would eventually come in pieces but it seemed they were looking at her case too optimistically.

There was another mystery…she still didn’t know why she asked to take the semester off of school.

“…Was I trying to hurt myself?” It was always a thought that came to mind.

“Oh no, honey. You were stressed out and maybe that’s why you took a break from school but you would have never.” Her mom denied all possibility. 

That explanation didn’t seem right either even after voicing it aloud. 

Coming to a stop right outside the office, Haneul peeked in and smiled at the group of boys inside. “I’ll try to ask my frie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter