Chapter 23: Head Start

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Got any ideas?”

Haneul stops chewing and looks up to meet the pairs of eyes around the dining table. Gulping down whatever she had in , she thought to reply to Seunghoon who had initially voiced the question. 

“That’s a lot of pressure – “

“Just throw an idea out as if our opponent isn’t the lovely Jeeun.” Seunghoon urged her. 

Slowly, Haneul did just that. “In any given situation, wouldn’t we want to get as far away as we could from here?”

“But, where could we hide?” Taehyun questioned. Seungyoon had said that but no concrete plan was put into place.

“Another home that Jeeun wouldn’t know about.” Haneul continued. 

The young men around the table quietly kept to themselves – 

“I guess you don’t like that idea – “

Taehyun snapped his finger and cut off Haneul’s mumbling. “Seungyoon has a home. It was built after Jeeun’s sentencing, wasn’t it?”

Everyone perked up while Seungyoon immediately showed on his expression that he didn’t like where the conversation was heading. 

“It’s in Busan. It’s far away enough until we can think of a long term plan.” Jinwoo adds. 

While the others were lost in the sudden surge of ideas, Mino reached over and gently patted the back of Haneul’s head. “Good job, darling.” 

Haneul stared back at him, questionably. Did Mino actually like the idea?

“Seungyoon?” Jinwoo looked over to get approval.

With a sigh – “If that’s the best we can do now.”

Everyone jumps to their feet in order to start preparing. But, there was a problem. “My stuff isn’t here.” Haneul voiced aloud.

***

“Move fast, alright?” 

They couldn’t risk staying out long. Not to mention, driving too is a lot longer than traveling on foot for Mino. But with Haneul with him, the second option isn’t available. 

Rushing into her bedroom and her bathroom, Haneul quickly grabbed her belongings. Only the necessities – as Mino stated. Left with nothing to do other than wait, Mino looked around the living room for a while until his eyes caught sight of the box of chess. Walking over, he picked it up. 

“You know, running and hiding doesn’t work.”

Then why did he say, ‘good job’ earlier?

Hearing Mino’s comment, Haneul yelled back from her room. “I know.” She knew that best from experience.

“Then why did you suggest it?”

And why was he going along with it, Haneul thought.

“Because everyone has been so stressed out.” Haneul remembers back to the previous days. “Under so much stress, it’ll be hard to think of solutions.”

Mino remained quiet while she continued her explanation. 

“I thought if everyone felt somewhat secured and safe for a while, it’ll do them some good.”

The end of Mino’s lips lifted, amused by her answer. “Haneul, you got 30 seconds.” 

Picking up her pace, she hopes she wouldn’t forget anything. With a small baggage in hand, Haneul went back out to meet with Mino standing near the couch. 

“And how did you think of all that?” Mino asked her.

She eyes the box in his hands and walk towards him. “You always have to be a few steps ahead.” She tapped the chess box. 

Mino sets the box back down on the coffee table. “Say goodbye.” 

“Goodbye, home.” She muttered to herself. Halting in her steps, Haneul leaned down after some hesitation and picked up the chess box once more before following after Mino out of the apartment and down the hall. 

Looking far ahead, Mino catches sight of someone. Haneul who had her eyes towards the ground wasn’t aware. 

“Wait for me by the elevator.” 

“Huh?” Before he could give her a proper clarification, Mino started walking off. “Where are you going?”

“I’m thinking ahead, darling.” 

Quickening his march, Mino turns the corner and is met with the view of Mr. Yang’s figure. 

“Hold up, old man.”
 
The old man sighed as he continued walking, refusing to come to a stop or to acknowledge the younger man at his heels. 

“Don’t pretend you didn’t see me.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter