Chapter 21: No Easy Exit

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Haneul stared around the room, the others were just as taken aback by Jiyong’s declaration as she was.

Bright laughter filled the air.

Haneul turned her eyes back on Jeeun to see the wide smile upon her lips. “Kill who?” She asked despite the obvious tense atmosphere.

Instead of a verbal response, Jiyong walks towards Mino and the mere sight of that causes Jeeun’s smile to fall. Without a word from her, her companion also takes a step forward and it successfully steals Jiyong’s attention, causing the man to stop and curiously look at him.

“Are you her new puppy?” He questioned.

The taunt does nothing to deter the man Jeeun calls Chanhyuk. 

“Looks like it.” Jiyong answers his own curiosity.

But, that wasn’t what Haneul was focused on. In fact, her eyes were on Mino who had not moved from that single spot. Seungyoon slowly shifts towards her and offers a hand which she takes in order to get back onto her feet. Haneul manages to take her sights off of Mino for a moment and set them towards Jinwoo and Taehyun. The two were both still busy holding Seunghoon still.

…This wasn’t a place for her.

She was the lost sheep in a field of wolves. She couldn’t have been caught in a worse situation than this right here.

Jeeun merely held Jiyong’s gaze before she was forced to turn away. Her eyes blinked rapidly as if something had been irritating it. A scoff left her lips. “I can’t even look at you.”

But, something felt off – to Haneul, anyway. No one else seemed to have noticed. 

Chanhyuk takes it as a sign and backs off. Slowly taking steps backwards, he was now standing beside the woman. 

Jiyong catches on – “You’re not thinking about leaving, are you?” 

“Don’t worry.” Jeeun casually responds. “I’ll be back.” She wasn’t finished yet.

And with those last words, both Jeeun and her companion left – vanished from their very spots. Not before long, Jiyong also dashes after them and gives chase. But Haneul had a feeling, he would come back empty-handed. If it was meant to be this easy, the expressions on the faces of the men in the room wouldn’t look so dim. 

“He’s not going to catch her.” Seunghoon’s voice cuts through the air and whilst confirming Haneul’s secret thoughts. 

Mino, Seungyoon, and Haneul look in the direction he was lying in with Taehyun and Jinwoo still on top of him. 

“You’re back to yourself, Seunghoon?” Seungyoon walks over to observe him.

“Fortunately.”

It should have been a moment of relief but the others didn’t seem to think so. They looked amongst each other and a sign of worry appeared on Mino’s face – which was strange in of itself. 

“It never wore off like this before…” Taehyun comments to himself softly.

“Years ago, it took days to get him back to himself.” Jinwoo also says in thought.

“Well, we got out alive again.” Mino claps his hands together and spins around. His tone was so full of nonchalance that she needed a second to wrap her mind around it. Were they not in the same room just now?

Was it only her scared out of her wits?

Haneul remained still, unsure about what to do. Her hand came up and held onto her other arm as reality started to sink in.

“Are you injured anywhere, Haneul?” Jinwoo asked.

Haneul slowly shook her head, unable to provide a proper response for him. 

“Do you understand now?” Seungyoon asks her gently. “That’s who we’re up against and well – now you are too.” He says in conclusion. “Because Mino got you involved, we’ll take responsibility.”

Haneul kept silent. 

“Are we really playing the blame game?” Mino shoots back.

She heard the words carrying on in the background but Haneul couldn’t get herself to focus on them. She stares back at Mino – he was just controlled seconds ago and he was back to himself again…how could someone rebound in that manner? 

“Mino…” Haneul softly calls out and the men quiet down. “How do you feel normal after something like that?” She knew that best. Having her memories tampered was e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter