Chapter 20: A Whole New World

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Blood bag.” Mino says randomly and while drawing strange looks from the people present at the dining room table. Morning has reached and their mind was not much clearer than last night.

“Is that what you call your neighbor now?” Seunghoon questioned, slightly hesitant of the morbid nickname. Even to him, that was kind of off-putting.

Not bothering to answer the question, Mino gets up on his feet and heads in the direction of the kitchen. 

“Oh…he really meant blood bag.” Seunghoon remarked quietly to himself. 

“I think I’m about to go insane.” Taehyun commented underneath his breath. Ever since Jeeun came back, he has been in a state of alertness with no chance of relaxing for a moment.

Mino returned from the kitchen and leaned against the doorframe, a blood bag attached to his mouth. 

“Did you forget something, Mino?” Seungyoon questioned him.

Silently, Mino sends him a look – what could he be forgetting?

“Haneul – if you’re hungry, imagine how she is currently feeling.”

***

Haneul looked toward the window in the bedroom once more and with a hand over her grumbling stomach. 

How bad of a fall will it be?

Shifting her attention, she stared at the closed door that kept her away from the rest of the home. The thought of venturing out there was enough for her to push away the idea of escaping through the front door.

But, sitting here doing nothing wasn’t the answer either. 

Brushing the comforter off of her body, Haneul slowly made her way towards the bedroom door. Trying ever so hard to keep her footsteps light as to not alert the individuals within the home. Gently creaking the door open, she peeked her head out to see the hallway stretch much further down than she could have imagined. It was hard to tell where each direction led to. 

With emptiness welcoming her, Haneul gathered more courage and stepped out. Closing the door silently behind her, she catches sight of the stairwell and finding not better plan, she moves toward it. 

Yet, before she could do anything else, her sights landed on Mino. 

Mino – who was in the midst of reaching the top with some takeout in his hands.

Not knowing what to expect, Haneul remained silent. Mino doesn’t say much either and turns around, heading down. “Since you’re up, come down and eat this food.” 

Well…she wouldn’t be able to get far with no energy.

Her eyes trailed after him – still dumfounded by their interaction. She didn’t expect it to be so casual after him catching her in the midst of trying to leave. But accepting his suggestion, Haneul followed with less hesitation. Moving down into the dining room, her brave steps suddenly falter.

It may have something to do with the individuals present.

“Aren’t you hungry?” Mino asked as he slid out an empty seat for her.

Diverting her eyes away from the people already at the table, Haneul timidly went over and took her seat. And now that she was staring down at the food, that hunger from before had vanished.

“You’re the neighbor?”

Haneul looked up to see where the question had come from.

“I’m Seunghoon.” He clarified.

She nodded her head. “Haneul – “

“I probably won’t remember it.” Seunghoon continued before she could finish her introduction.

Attempting to lessen the unintended callousness of his words, someone else spoke out – someone who appeared familiar.

“Seunghoon is the doctor that looked over you while you were here.” He explained. “Do you remember me?”

Haneul observed his features. “…I don’t know from where.” No matter how much she thought about it, it wouldn’t come to her. “I’m sorry. My memory hasn’t been the best.” After her words, Haneul fought the attempt to look in Mino’s direction.

“I’m Seungyoon.” He kindly reminded her. “You must be feeling the effects of Mino’s enamor.”

She didn’t have to mention it for him to know. 

“Don’t worry, things will slowly come back to you.” Jinwoo adds. 

Offering a faint smile, Haneul responded. “I’m not sure if I want it to.” She said softly.

“I see, if you feel that way.” Jinwoo replies before nudging the individual beside him. “Taehyun, won’t you also say a word?”

“Welcome.” Taehyun merely says. It wasn’t that he had ill intentions but Haneul noticed her presence may have made him uncomfortable by the way his eyes darted around.

“Okay, eat.” Mino reaches his hand over and moves the bag closer to her. 

Silently, Haneul opens the ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter