Chapter 15: No Easy Way Out

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

With trepidation in her heart and a little tremble in her hands as she holds a plastic cup of coffee, Haneul heads to the club’s meeting room. The reason for her unsettling behavior could be explained merely by the text sent to her this morning. 

The boys wanted to see the clips for themselves.

If they were to see what was on them – 

Not only would they see something strange but then want to investigate. They would totally be in over their heads and she’ll be forced to tag along…“I can’t let that happen.” She decided softly to herself before opening the door. 

The seven boys were seated around the table with their laptop ready. 

“Are you sure you want to see it?” Haneul questioned in an attempt to prevent them from watching what was on the recordings. “There wasn’t anything. Just a quiet night, no one was around…“

“There may have been other clues.” Hanbin reasoned. “It doesn’t hurt to watch them together.”

Silently, Haneul set her backpack on the table and placed her coffee cup aside. ping her bag, her hands hesitated reaching for the USB. 

And it wasn’t because she was hoping they would change their minds – well, there was that but in this case, it was slightly different. For a quick second, Haneul sincerely forgot what she was doing.

“Haneul?” Yunhyeong leaned forward, calling for her attention. “You’re blanking out.” He chuckled once catching her returning his peering.

“Uh – “ Her eyes dropped down to her hand in her opened backpack and her awareness resumed. “Right, the USB.” That was strange. “But, are you guys really sure?”

“Now it seems like you’re hiding something.” Yunhyeong points out jokingly but he had no idea how accurate the statement was. 

“Me? No way.” Haneul chuckled weakly before clearing and digging into the pockets for the small object. Taking hold of it, she pulls it out and places it on the table and just as she did so, a brilliant plan comes to mind. One that would end her troubles all at once.

Swiping her hand carelessly, Haneul knocks her cup of coffee over and sends the hot liquid spilling over the poor USB. Successfully drenching it to the point it wouldn’t be salvageable. 

Well, she prayed there wasn’t a solution for it.

The boys jump to their feet and hurry around to find napkins.

Haneul holds her hands in front of her, a look of worry upon her face. It was done on purpose but the thought of making such a mess made her felt bad. 

“I’m sorry.” And genuinely, she was.

“I think the USB is done for.” Donghyuk holds the black object up and looks at it carefully.

“Well, at least there was nothing on it, right?” Jiwon attempts to think positively. 

***

“You know you can’t act this way. It only makes you an easier target.” Seungyoon looked from the vast dining hall into the living room where Mino was sprawled on the couch, appearing nearly lifeless as he stared off into no particular area. 

Mino woke up this morning and found it all to be meaningless. His efforts will prove to be meaningless and his fight will be meaningless. If she really returned, she could be unstoppable. The thought of facing her could bring him to his knees. It was draining. 

“She’ll find a way.”

“You have us. We won’t allow her to get close again.”

Where was Seungyoon’s confidence coming from? He of all people should be rational enough to know his own limits. In the past, he was no way up to her standards and now in the present, Mino thinks it’s all the same.

The two in the house quickly notices the visitor’s presence.

“God, would you leave me alone?” Mino had no energy to deal with the individual.

“Let’s say, hypothetically, she returned and she was behind those murders.” Jiyong voiced openly and it rendered both Seungyoon and Mino silent. 

They hadn’t expected that sort of topic to be brought up. 

“I thought you doubted.” Seungyoon said in response.

Jiyong hesitates before sharing. “Someone may have witnessed – “

Mino sat up in a start. “Someone saw her?”

“We don’t know for sure.” Jiyong was quick to deny assumptions. “They could have been mistaken. But, if they weren’t…how do we prepare for her?”

“Wow, you’re changing your tune now – you were so adamant on hunting me down and it hurts you, doesn’t it? To know you were wrong – “

“Mino.” Seungyoon stopped the young man from obtaini

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter