Chapter 1: Hello, New Neighbor

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Her bare feet pounded painfully against the cold concrete in a quick, irregular rhythm while her pants grew louder and more frequent the longer she kept running. She didn’t have a plan– her only thoughts were to keep moving, until when? She didn’t know. Maybe until she knew she was safe, until she knew he wasn’t coming after her. But in the back of her mind, she had doubts on whether or not she could even get away. 

She didn’t know what he is but, she sure has an idea of what he is capable of.

The wind blew past her and ruffled her hospital gown, reminding her where she was and how fragile her situation was. 

But, unlike her strong desire to keep her constant pace, her weakened body was incapable of keeping up with it. Her adrenaline, alone, wasn’t enough to keep her muscles working and with her current condition, it only worsened her problem. When the exhaustion predictably caught up, she collapsed in the middle of the road. 

She had to keep going.

She knew that but when you’re physically feeble, there was no such mental power that would be of any use. Her wary eyes darted whenever she felt like she saw a shadow and it might just be paranoia but, there was reason for it. If she were to explain why she was in this situation, she would have to start at the beginning– the beginning that was no more than two days ago.

***

It was move in day.

Haneul’s eyes scaled the small apartment complex. This was it. This is going to be her new home as she starts university life next week. Moving out of her parents’ house was something she knew she would have to eventually do someday but, it still didn’t quite prepare her for the loneliness that would come nonetheless. 

Blinking back from her thoughts, Haneul figured she should head up soon if she wanted to finish organizing today. Once inside the building, she slipped into the open elevator for the third floor. Glancing at each door down the hallway, she starts to wonder how her new neighbors were but the thought temporarily passes when she stops in front of the last apartment at the end. Eyeing the brown plaque that had 301 affixed on it, she slips her key out of her pocket.

The apartment behind her opens.

She spins around to find a handsome young man locking his own door before meeting her eyes. He was dressed in nice dark slacks with a white button down that he neatly tucked into the waistband of his pants. “Are you the new neighbor?” 

“It's nice to meet you.” Haneul answers with a nod.

Unlike how wary she was, he returned a bright smile. “I’m Mino– I live here.” A deep chuckle left his lips while he pointed at his door. “But, it’s not like you couldn’t tell.” 

His kind demeanor slowly relaxes Haneul. “Then, we’ll be seeing each other often.”

“Please take care of me.” He charmingly bows.

“Oh no, I should be saying that.” She quickly mimics him before straightening up timidly.

Another chuckle meets her ears while he looks down at his wrist. Even the gold watch seems to fit him well. “I have somewhere to be, but it was nice meeting you…,”

“Haneul.” She responds and he reacts with another smile.

“It was nice meeting you, Haneul.” He says lastly before making his way down the hallway. She watched after him before opening her own door and stepping inside. If all the other neighbors were like him, it would comfort her a bit more.

The sight that she was welcomed to quickly ended her irrelevant thoughts.

Everything that she had own up until now were all packed in those cardboard boxes that were stacked on top of one another in the center of the living room. The couch was pushed off to the side and her mattress had yet to even be placed on the bed frame in her new bedroom. 

It was going to be a long night.

***

Haneul breathed out before rubbing her eyes. Exhausted wasn’t even the word she wanted to use because she was past that. It was already 3 o’ clock in the morning. How long was she planning to do this for?

It’ll be smart if she just got ready for bed.

But, there was still one thing left to do for today–, 

And, she eyed the very problem.

The mattress that still hasn’t been fixed in her bedroom yet. Staring at it, the tiredness only increased ten folds as another option crossed her mind. The floor wouldn't be bad for one night. But, all she wanted was to lie in bed after a long day of hard work... and, she makes up her mind. She walks over to the mattress and begins tugging it in the direction of her bedroom. While her attention was consumed with her current task, Haneul didn’t notice the footsteps heading down the hallway or the cluttered path that lied behind her. Tripping over a box that she hadn’t seen, Haneul landed on her bottom with a loud thud. 

Staring up at the mattress, she sighed, though that feeling quickly disappeared with a jolt. She looked towards her door at the sound of sudden knocking.

“Haneul?” 

“One minute.” She answered before making her way closer to the door and opened it. “Yes?”

“Is there something wrong?” Mino asked with concern. “I heard a noise.”

At his words, heat slowly crept up her cheeks in embarrassment. “Everything is fine.”

He looks behind her into her home, his eyes catching the mattress. “Can I help you with anything?”

Haneul quickly shook her head. 

“Are you sure?” He tried again before joking. “I’m quite strong and useful.” 

Haneul thought about it for a moment. With his help, she could finally get to bed. “If you don’t mind.” She offered a small smile before moving aside. Leaving

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter