Ch 02

It Was Summer

 

 

Dinner was over, mom and dad are on the terrace catching some good air, Rennee was washing the dishes, while I was watching television with my aunt in the living room. I keep searching for Korean channels but it seems there's none.

“We don't have SBS and KBS here.” Aunt Seola told me while she was reading magazine.

"Yep." So I just switch it to Discovery channel to kill the boredom until I feel sleepy. But when I was watching I noticed I couldn't get Irene off my mind. It makes me wanna know more about her. "Aunt Seola..."

She put her gaze away from the magazine and looked at me. "Yes?"

"Have you been friends with the Bae family for quite long?"

"Two years since I resided here in Calinan."

"Oh, so they lived here longer than you?"

"About twelve years. Why?"

"Oh nothing, just asking though." I ended the conversation and returned watching TV.

"Have you seen her daughter Irene? She's pretty isn't she?"

Her name quickly rang in my ears, making me wanna ask about her but I have to keep my cool. I don't want aunt to think something weird about me. "I met her when I was buying snacks."

"You should be friends with her since she's the only Korean here in town same as your age."

I nodded.

Yeah, maybe I should.

***

The next day my aunt was planning to cook Kimchi fried rice for breakfast but she was out of Kimchi , and for some reason, I automatically suggested I could buy the Kimchi for her. Aunt Seola approved, she gave me money to buy it. I don't know why I feel so excited because, to be honest, there's nothing to be excited about waking up early just to buy Kimchi. Rennee or aunt can buy it but why am I the one volunteering to buy it? Damn this Kimchi. I pondered. I pedal my bike going to Bae Mart with the early sun touching my skin, fresh air, and meeting fellow early birds on the street. It was tranquil.


 

As I arrived at the mini-mart she's the person I've been wanting to see. "Good morning, welcome to Bae Mart." She greeted while sweeping the floor.

"Good morning." I smiled.

"Excuse me for a second." She finishes sweeping the floor and went to the counter. I don't want to go home immediately so I killed time checking other products. I keep going back and forth pretending to read the labels but the truth is I've been stealing glances at her. Some part of me is really curious about her and makes me wanna know more about her. She seems to be an interesting person.

"What are you searching for? I can help."

Crap.

"Kimchi." I keep my cool as possible just to be not obvious.

"It's in the fridge." Of course, I know it's in the fridge.

"Oh." I know I look so stupid it makes me want to facepalm myself. But I have to act cool about it. I picked the Kimchi in the fridge and paid for it.

"I'm guessing Kimchi fried rice for breakfast?" She scanned the barcode.

"How did you know?" Stupid question, it just pop out off my mouth.

She shrugged. "Thank you for buying here at Bae Mart please come again." She smiled again and that simple smile almost melted my guts. God, going to this place makes me crazy. I went home and gave the Kimchi to aunt.

“Wow that took kinda long.”

“I got lost on my way.” I lied. I only know one way here in Calinan and its aunt's house and Bae Mart.

“Don't hesitate to ask the locals here, they are friendly.” Aunt readied the pan for cooking. “Do you know how to cook Kimchi Fried Rice?” She asked.

“Of course, basic.”

“Good at least you can survive living alone.”

“Sure, but I'm not as good as you.”

Aunt put oil on the pan and some spices. “You can be my apprentice. I'll teach you.”

Three days later, everyone was in the kitchen. Mom was mincing cloves of garlic, Rennee was sweeping the floor, and dad was reading news on his galaxy note, while aunt was checking the fridge. “Weird.” She scratched her head in confusion.

“Why?” Mom asked as she approached her sister.

“I'm sure there were still Kimchi left in the fridge.”

“But Seulgi just bought 2 kilos of Kimchi yesterday.” Mom replied.

“Nah, it doesn't matter.” She asked me to make an errand at Bae Mart, I complied. It was my chance though. And as usual, I kept stealing glances at Irene while pretending to read the labels of the food just to kill time. I kept doing it every time I go here in the mini-mart before buying Kimchi or snacks. And because of that I almost memorize the ingredients and the nutritious facts of every food product on the shelves. I have a feeling she noticed it since when she caught me looking at her. I really thought she will call for help but all she do was smile and politely saying, “Do you need any help?”

"Nah I'm good." That was embarrassing.

***

It was 1 a.m. and I stopped reading chiller on webtoon. It's not healthy to ready especially at this time. Silence covered the night, the only sound I could hear is the ticking of the clock. I stretched my arms and turned the music to the least volume, playing my playlist Urban Zakapa. At some point, I was thinking about my boyfriend. We haven't had any messages since I left and we haven't broken up so we still have the label left. My curiosity of him went on board so I stalked him on Facebook but apparently, he deactivated his account. I checked his friend's profile and I saw an album uploaded last night. The cheap creep's having a good time at the bar with ladies. I got flustered and checked the people who were tagged, I read the comments of the pictures and the , he's blatantly flirting with the girl. I massaged my nose bridge in stress. I'm through with that good for nothing selfish-inconsiderate-. For the past six months of dating him, he's giving me a heavy shoulder. I think I should stop now. It's getting tiring, really. I shut down my laptop and went to bed hoping that things just could pass by when I wake up in the morning.

The next day I heard a knock on the door. “Seulgi.” The voice sounds familiar. I stood up and opened the door; Rennee was standing outside. “Breakfast is ready.”

I nodded.

Minutes later I went down to the dining table to eat breakfast with them. And after that, I would take a bath, watch TV or etc. It became a usual routine. It's been three days I haven't seen Irene so I asked my dad to give me money to buy some food. I hurriedly stomp the bike's pedal going to Bae Mart. I rushed inside the store to my surprise Irene wasn't on duty. It made my day a bit gloomy. I bought the snacks without reading the ingredients and nutritious facts and immediately head back home, thinking that she'll be on duty by tomorrow.

The next day I came back but she's still not on duty it made me sad not being able to see her for the past few days. It felt like my life was less exciting. When I arrived home Rennee beckoned me.

“Do you wanna come with me?”

To kill boredom I decided to come with her. “Where to?”

“You'll see.” She answered.

When we arrived at the local place I felt disgusted by the stink and wetness of the floor. I tiptoed every time I walk to avoid the splashes of the dirty water. As usual people's eyes were pinning on me, seeing a foreigner in the local place.

“They didn't call this a wet market for no reason so bear with it.” Rennee held my hand and led the way so I won't get lost.

We went around buying some fresh meats. Rennee said it's better to buy in the local wet market because its cheaper compared to the malls' supermarket and the price here is bargainable. It amazes me how the bargaining system works, or Rennee is just too good at it. She's talking Philippine language to the vendor which I don't really understand at all. So I just observed the things around going in the wet market. It's rowdy, damn dirty wet and it really stinks. People who are buying here a lot must have been immune to this kind of environment.

By the time we were done buying meats we went outside of the market and we happened to bump into Irene by accident. Surprised, I covered my mouth to hide my smile. To be honest, I'm glad I was able to come with Rennee despite how disgusting the wet market could be. I forgot how I stepped onto the floor which the dirty water splashed on my feet every time I walk.

“Irene! What made you come here?” Rennee talked to her in a language that they can only understand and as usual, I just stand there and listen. I'm really not surprised that they know each other. Plus, Irene knows the language. 

“My dad asked me to buy pork and vegetables.”

I looked at Irene, holding my smile. God, I don't understand why my inner body is screaming with joy. I must be crazy.

“Irene let's not talk Bisaya because Seulgi couldn't understand.” Rennee said it in my mother tongue.

“Thank goodness, I almost feel like an outcast.” I deadpanned.

Irene grinned. “Hi, how are you?”

I'm so happy she asked first.

“F-fine. It's been a week since we've seen each other.”

“So Seulgi you're already friends with Irene, hm?” Rennee inserted.

I wasn't able to answer, I just stupidly opened my mouth.

“We met at our mini-mart.” Irene replied.

“Oooh I'm so proud of you Seulgi you made a friend.” Rennee was obviously teasing me, making an embarrassing pouting face.

I didn't say anything because I was shy and I don't really know how to react. I looked at Irene embarrassingly but she just smiled.

Rennee looked at her wristwatch. “We'll be going now. Its 5:37PM, Seola needs these.” She lifted the meat in the plastic bag. “We'll see each other when I buy in your mart.”

“Oh sure.”

I bid Irene goodbye but then Rennee suddenly halted her way and turn back to Irene. “Irene can I ask for your number so both of you can text each other?”

“WHAT?!” I looked at Rennee in surprised.

“She's been asking me a lot but she's too shy to ask you personally.” I thought I was being crazy but Rennee is the crazy person here.

“But I didn—“

“—Oh come on. I know you wanted to be friends with her.” Then she looked at Irene. “You don't mind, do you, Irene?” She asked her shamelessly. All I can do was shed all of my cold sweat. I don't have any idea why would she go through that, she's totally embarrassing me.

Irene chortled. “I don't mind. You could've asked earlier.” She looked at me with approval. She picked her phone in her pocket and gave the number to Rennee. While I was just standing beside Rennee, looking at my feet without any single word coming out of my mouth. I can't even make an eye contact with Irene. I'm too embarrassed.

“She'll contact you as soon as we're home. Thanks Irene!”

“No problem.”

***

When we came home I put the plastic bags on the table while Rennee was putting the meat in the basin.

“Rennee what was that? Why did you do that?” I asked her in a serious tone while unpacking the vegetables in the plastic bags.

She clicked her tongue, rolling her eyes. “Oh come on. Do you think I didn't know you purposely threw the Kimchi in the bin just to buy a new one so you could see her every day?”

“I...” Honestly, I have nothing to say. I'm more surprised that she knows. Ok it's her time to shine, she's winning a lot today, and I got busted. “Ok, you win.” I raised my hands in forfeit. “Am I that obvious?”

“Not really. But recently you've been acting weird and I'm kinda fast at picking up signals. You know, birds of the same feathers pick signals together.”

I furrowed my brows in confusion. “What? You don't make any sense.” I don't understand what she was referring to.

Rennee walks towards me and tapped my head gently. “I understand you're still hiding in the closet.”

At first, I was too slow of picking up what she meant. “What?!” I keep making a confused face. “No!” Until I'm confused myself of what to answer. I groaned in frustration. “Honestly I don't know. I don't even understand it myself.”

“So did you lie having a boyfriend?”

“Of course not. As for now, we're really not in good terms of that scumbag and we don't have any communication since I arrived here.”

“Condolence to your relationship.” She raised her right hand while her left hand was on her chest, closing her eyes.

“But we haven't broken up. Not yet. Not properly.” I scratched my forehead in realization that I must make a move about that.

“You should make an action for that it's not good without saying anything and leave it be.”

“Yeah I will.” All that conversation made me beat up. It's not even humid because the weather is fine but I'm sweating ridiculously.

Rennee picked the phone on her pocket. “I'll finish arranging that for you. Save Irene's number so you can text her now.” She showed the number to me and I tapped the number on my phone and saved it.

I don't want her to think I'm being gay. It's not that I'm attracted to Irene,right? You do know that I just wanted to make friends with her because she's a fellow Korean, right?”

“You figure it out for yourself.”