Fancy

Dancing to His Rhythm

 

"Yes, I'm gay, if that's what you're asking, even though it's none of your business or relevant in any way." Seunghyun answered reluctantly, monitoring Youngbae's reaction. His expression hardened.

"You lied to me." Youngbae said through clenched teeth.

"No.. or yeah, a little bit, but it's not like you gave me much choice. I mean look at how you're reacting right now." Seunghyun always hated this part. The big reveal. It was why he hated lying. It was like building a city out of dominos, and when one fell, the whole city came down with it. He had lost so many good friends this way, friends that he had thought were going to be there for him through thick and thin. But that one little three letter word had robbed him of so much. He didn't get why it was such a big deal. It was not like he forced people to watch his mating rituals. Nothing in their lives changed by him being gay, yet they were so appalled that they walked away from years of friendship. He had learned to trust no one, to rely on no one, becoming more of a loner than he cared for. It was probably the reason he was unable to have a steady relationship. He had convinced himself that it was because he didn't subscribe to the archaic idea of monogamy, but it was just an excuse he had invented to make himself feel better and justify his life choices. Seungri was his first real friend in years. He felt safe around him, not only because he was also gay and proudly out, but he was just as much of a player as he was, so they never had to worry about there being a misunderstanding or risking hurting anyone. When they hooked up, they were just scratching each other's backs, there were no real feelings involved that could get trampled on. It was nice not to have to watch his step all the time.

"I can't be your tutor." Youngbae's cold declaration interrupted his train of thought.

"Wow, I thought you were made of better fabric than this... apparently no matter the thread count, they are all just rags in the end... I guess I gave you too much credit. My bad." Seunghyun knew hostility would solve nothing, but he couldn't help himself. He was genuinely disappointed in Youngbae, nursing a fresh gaping wound in his heart. He had lost count of the number of scars that old boy had accumulated, but still it braved on, beating through it all, dugun-dugun.

Youngbae shrugged heartlessly, pointing at the door with his deceivingly beautiful eyes.

He started to leave, but found that his feet were nailed to the floor. He didn't want to leave it like this. Youngbae had really come through for him when he desperately needed him to, asking for nothing in return. There was good in him, it was just hidden by a thick grimy screen of misplaced societal values. And, more importantly, he refused to be treated like some leper.

"Okay, so you are what... a Christian?" he ventured an educated guess.

"Yeah, so?" Youngbae looked like he wanted him gone already, not extending an ounce of patience to him.

"Alright, let's say there's a Buddhist, or a Muslim.. they come to a class of yours... would you refuse to teach them just because of their religion?" Seunghyun had had conversations like this several times before, having confused many a missionary.

"No of course not, religion has nothing to do with dancing." Youngbae walked straight into his trap. A deer caught in the headlights, not seeing the hyena hiding in the bushes.

"Okay. You are straight. I am gay. Doesn't the same go for us then? ual orientation has nothing to do with dancing!" he pushed, crossing his fingers.

"That's different." Youngbae shook his head, not taking the bait.

"No, it's exactly the same. You believe in your god, that for some reason demands that you be straight...well, I believe in my gods, in the form of drop-dead gorgeous boys that want nothing more than for me to be gay." he tried.

"But... dancing... means.... touching..." Youngbae frowned uncomfortably.

"Oh, come on! It's not like it's contagious!! ...although, how fun would that be if it was." he couldn't stop a chuckle from escaping its imprisonment.

"It's not natural." Youngbae shook his head, refusing to see reason.

"It feels pretty natural to me." he shrugged.

"And it's not like I'm into you." he quickly added.

"You're not?" Youngbae looked surprised. That egotistical little homophobic nugget. Irresistibly cute homophobic nugget.

"What?! No!!" he lied through his teeth. Somehow he always ended up lying when he was in his presence. But it was a total coincidence that he happened to be kind of into him, totally clouding the point he was trying to make. So he lied.

Youngbae looked skeptical.

“Are you into every girl you meet?” he continued.

“No.” Youngbae shook his head.

“Well, neither am I! I don't just slobber over every guy that crosses my path. Please! I've got a very refined palate.” he pointed his nose into the air like a proper snob.

“Ah..” Youngbae seemed to finally be getting it.

“I mean, you're not into me, are you?” he teased rather pointedly.

“WHAT!?!? NO!!!! EWWWW!!!” Youngbae took a step back, appalled.

“Okay, got it. You don't have to be so dramatic about it.” he his wounds. “But okay, so to recap... I don't fancy you, you don't fancy me. So the problem is?” he asked in earnest.

“People will talk.” Youngbae folded his arms, but his hostility had faded away.

“Are you really that kind of a guy... that lives in fear of what others might say?” he asked, not hiding his disbelief.

“No.” Youngbae objected, boxing himself into a corner.

“Key.” he nodded.

“Fine.” Youngbae spat.

“Okay then!” he clapped his hands together to signal that the matter was settled.

The atmosphere was still tense though, threatening to suffocate them at any moment. So he did what he was best at, acted like a fool. He poked Youngbae lightly.

“Oh noes!!! You've been touched by a gay guy! You've been infected!! Hurry! Hurry! We need to get you to the hospital to get the anti-venom, else it will get you for sure!!” he joked.

“Ha ha, very funny.” Youngbae tried to maintain a serious face, but failed completely, laughing that adorable laugh of his.

 

“So...what's wrong with me?” Youngbae mumbled, scratching a small, almost healed wound on his wrist.

“I beg your pardon?” he had no idea where he was coming from. There was obviously a lot wrong with him, where to start, but he doubted he would welcome his opinion on the matter.

“Why don't you like me.” Youngbae half-whispered while looking in the other direction.

“What? I like you.” he blinked, stunned.

“No I mean...'like' like me.” Youngbae clarified, apparently expecting an answer.

“What?” he had no idea what to say. Talk about doing a 180.

“I'm super fit, a killer dancer, I'm cuter than most... you'd be lucky to have me.” Youngbae said as if he was thinking aloud. Wow, what an ego. Though most of what he was saying was technically true.

“Do youuu... want me to fancy you?” he asked, a bit confused at that point.

“No!!” Youngbae nearly shouted.

“So...?”. This conversation was making his head hurt.

“Forget it.” Youngbae kicked the floor with the tip of his shoe. “Let's get to work!”.