The G-word

Dancing to His Rhythm

 

Seunghyun was discovering his passion for dancing, or perhaps it wasn't exactly the dancing that he was most passionate about. The days flew by as Youngbae pushed him to the edge of his limits and beyond, putting all drill-sergeants to shame with his strict training schedule. Youngbae was as inflexible off the dance floor as he was flexible on it. So they did things his way, Seunghyun didn't care as long as he got to see him. This was starting to be less about his future and passing the semester, and more about enjoying the moment. Even though he had done little other than partying and having fun the past few years, he got the feeling there had been something missing, that maybe it hadn't been as much fun as he had convinced himself of. There was something about Youngbae. He couldn't put his finger on it exactly. Sure he was the best dancer he had ever seen, making it seem like the world had been made for him to dance in and not the other way around. He was fit, there was no denying that. A body like a miniature Greek God. And he was perfectly loveable, especially when he was growling at him. There was something so irresistibly cute in his growl, you knew he thought he meant it, that he thought he was being all scary and vicious, but instead it just made you want to pinch his cheeks all that harder. He truly was a human Chihuahua. But still, there was something else, something intangible, inexplicable and unstoppable.

 

“I think I found my signature move.” he gave Youngbae a big, proud smile.

“Oh, reeeally.” Youngbae did not sound convinced, but nodded in the sense that the stage was all his. With fake confidence, he acted like he owned the place, hoping his limbs would remember what they had practiced.

The music started and he kind of let it take control of him, his head starting to follow the beat, with the rest of his body following suit. He felt the rhythm course through his body, he was on fire. He leaned into it and did a modern take on the chicken dance, like he really meant it. Then it kind of morphed into wildly running in place, finishing off with dramatically karate-punching the air. Out of breath, he wiped the sweat flood that was gushing down his forehead.

“So, what did you think?” he grinned goofily and looked at Youngbae, who was lying on the floor, crying with laughter. He was laughing so hard, it looked more like he was having a spastic seizure, gasping for air between laughing fits. Seunghyun sighed with relief. He was hoping it would have this effect. Youngbae was too uptight all the time, he was worried he had lost the ability to have fun. He deserved a proper laugh now and then, but he never allowed himself to take his eyes off the prize. Seeing him let his guard down like that made Seunghyun feel uncomfortably good. It was as if his heart was glowing, pumping warmth and light throughout his body.

“What, is my dancing too GAY for you or...?” he joked in a loud voice, helping him up off the floor.

“SSHHHT!!” Youngbae's face went from smile to frown in under a nanosecond, looking furtively at the door that stood open, his brow furrowing with worry. “Don't use the g-word! Somebody might hear you!” he scolded him when he had made sure there was nobody lurking outside.

“Seriously, it's like shushing someone that's saying he's left handed.” Seunghyun complained. He couldn't help getting a tiny bit hurt. All those hours dancing together and he was still stranded on the gay-thing. Why couldn't he just see him for who he was, instead of sticking a giant gay-label on him that overshadowed everything else?

“Just...tone it down, okay?” Youngbae gave him a look. It touched a nerve. Seunghyun kicked himself for still being so vulnerable. He was supposed to have a coat of armor surrounding his soft parts at all times, for moments just like these, that presented themselves way too often.

“I don't know what 'it' is.” Seunghyun sighed, trying not to get worked up over this. He didn't really want to have this conversation, he wasn't ready. He didn't want to have to set his pride aside to be able to work with Youngbae, for the little pride he did have had taken years to assemble, but he didn't want to stop training with him either. He told himself it was because he wanted to pass the semester, above all, but he knew he was lying to himself. It was a necessary lie, it was the only way he could allow for the fact that he was setting himself up for a world of hurt without so much as an ounce of hesitation, again.

Then he got an idea. He leaned forward and kissed Youngbae on the cheek.

“What the HELL do you think you're doing?!?” Youngbae jerked backwards, holding his cheek and staring at him like he had just slapped him. His eyes darted to the open door again.

“Are you trying to make me stop teaching you?” he said in a low, cut-throat voice. He meant business. His eyes were ablaze with furious fire.

“No.. I'm trying to make things a little more comfortable between us... to show you that even if I go as far as to kiss you on the cheek, you won't suddenly turn gay, the world won't implode... I'm just a regular guy trying to survive his regular life... the same as you, and everyone else for that matter.” Seunghyun said in a soft, tired voice. There was a tiny spark of hope in his chest, foolishly flying about, convincing everything it touched that all would be okay. Strangely, he felt safe around Youngbae, even though he had done nothing but try and make him feel otherwise.

“Every time you have to touch me, you cringe.. I know you try to hide it, but I notice...I'm not that gross am I....I mean, I don't smell or anything, do I?” he let out a quaint chuckle and smelled his armpit. “Okay, maybe I do a little.” he grinned sheepishly. He saw Youngbae suppressing a smile, relaxing his stance.

“Agh, stop being a wuss and let's keep practicing.” Youngbae said, but in a voice that was two levels too sweet to take offense. He got the feeling he was sorry for the way he treated him, or maybe that was just his wishful imagination.

“And no kissing!” he added with a half-grin, playfully raising his eyebrow to look more menacing.

“Stop being so uncomfortable and I'll stop kissing you.” Seunghyun grinned back with attitude, glad that the rainy cloud had passed them by and the sun was shining again. There was hope for him yet.