Don't Sleep

The Charming Sea and The Enchanting Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning, Wendy,” Seulgi greets the brunette, joining her as they walk to the entrance of their school.

 

“Good morning,” Wendy chirps.

 

“You’re rather bright this morning.”

 

“I’m always bright every morning.”

 

“Then I should start going to school with you every morning,” Seulgi replies with a smile.

 

Wendy feels a rush of heat, as her cheeks turn a tint of pink.

 

“PETER!”

 

Joy. Wendy inwardly groans. Why must Joy always appear at the wrong timing? What’s more embarrassing is Joy calling her Peter in front Seulgi. Wendy could feel her knees buckling as she dies from embarrassment.

 

“I’m not Peter, Joy,” the brunette huffs in annoyance.

 

The taller girl grins and ruffles the brunette’s hair, much to the latter’s dismay. “I know, Peter.” Joy raises an eyebrow at Seulgi. “Hey, I know you. Why are you with my Peter?”

 

“We’re friends,” Seulgi responds casually.

 

“Peter,” Joy gasps as she looks at Wendy accusingly, “I was only gone for a day and you found yourself a replacement??”

 

“Stop overreacting,” Wendy chides the taller girl.

 

“I’ll see you when I see you Wendy,” Seulgi tells Wendy. She shifts her gaze to Joy. “Nice to meet you, Joy.”

 

After bidding their goodbyes, Joy drapes her arm around Wendy’s shoulder. “Seungwan, why are you talking to that girl?” she asks in a serious tone.

 

Wendy gulps. Joy rarely calls her by her Korean name unless it’s something serious. “Is there something wrong with that?”

 

Joy sighs. “I forgot you have selective attention. You might wanna consider expanding your peripheral vision or something. Or I don’t know, keep yourself updated with what’s going around in school.”

 

“Why should I concern myself with people who don’t matter? They only view me as a psychopath anyway.”

 

“Hey, you’re not a psychopath,” Joy reminds the brunette. “To hell with what the entire school population thinks of you. I am, afterall, the only one who matters to you.”

 

The taller girl smiles cockily as she flips her hair, drawing a laugh from the brunette.

 

“Yeah, you’re the only who matters,” Wendy agrees.





 

“Hey, we meet again,” Seulgi says, as she sits next to Wendy.

 

“Who are you?” Wendy suddenly asks. Joy hadn’t told her about who Seulgi is.

 

“Did I do something wrong?”

 

“N-nothing,” Wendy responds, suddenly feeling embarrassed for asking Seulgi such a question unexpectedly. “I’m just wondering who you are before you talked to me.”

 

“Well, before I met you, I was Kang Seulgi. After I met you, I’m still Kang Seulgi,” the blonde quips. “Does that answer your question, Wendy?”

 

“I-I guess,” Wendy mumbles. She goes back to doing her assignment.

 

“Wendy, is that assignment more important than me?”

 

Wendy nods.

 

“Ouch, such blatant honesty.”

 

“Huh?” Wendy looks up to see a pouting Seulgi. “What was your question again?”

 

“You didn’t hear the question?”

 

Wendy gives Seulgi a sheepish smile. “Sorry, I was just a little absorbed in my work.”

 

“Yeah, I can see that,” Seulgi replies, her voice laced with amusement. “Forget my question, it’s not important. Where’s Joy?”

 

“Cafeteria.”

 

“You don’t eat?”

 

Wendy.

 

The brunette turns around to find the voice calling out her name.

 

Wendy.

 

“Wendy?”

 

Wendy squeezes her eyes shut, and mentally screams one to three before she lifts her eyelids again. When she snaps back to her consciousness, she is startled to find Seulgi’s face just inches away from hers.

 

“Wendy, are you okay?” Seulgi asks, her eyes boring into the brunette’s, causing the latter pull her head back and move away.

 

“I’m fine,” Wendy mutters.

 

“Hey Peter!”

 

Relief washes over Wendy upon hearing the familiar greeting from Joy. One of the rare times when Joy actually swoops in at the right time.

 

Seulgi stands up. “Nice talking to you, Wendy. And nice to meet you again, Joy.”

 

“Yeah, nice to see you again too, Seulgi,” Joy states, as she settles beside Wendy.

 

As soon as the blonde walks away, Joy turns to Wendy. “Hey, what was that all about?”

 

“What was what all about?”

 

“Stop pretending, Wendy. I saw all of that. I thought she was going to kiss you or something.”

 

“Your imagination is out the world.”

 

“But it seems like it!” Joy retorts. “Do you have a crush on her, Wendy?”

 

“Do I look like I’m interested in getting into a relationship?”

 

“Well…” Joy hesitates to continue. She knows relationship is a sensitive subject for the shorter girl.

 

“8.4 seconds,” Wendy comments.

 

“What 8.4 seconds?” Joy asks, baffled.

 

“You hesitated for 8.4 seconds,” Wendy explains. “Not only that, there are also twenty two strands of white hair on your head, “ Wendy cracks a smile. “You’ve been too stressed about unnecessary things. Just worry about your incomplete assignments instead of stressing about me. I can think for myself, Joy.”

 

But remember that one time you tried to drown yourself in the sea?

 

And the several suicide attempts that follow afterwards?

 

“Hey, I’m just showing my concern for my midget friend,” Joy says playfully, holding herself back from verbalising the thoughts in her head.

 

She steals a glance at the scars on Wendy’s left forearm and inwardly sighs.





 

Wendy places a cupcake on Irene’s desk before settling on her chair. “Happy birthday!”

 

Irene shoots Wendy a quizzical look. “It’s not my birthday.”

 

“Who says your birthday has to be specifically on the day you’re born? If you’re happy on, let’s say, Monday, then that day’s your birthday.”

 

“So if I’m happy everyday, everyday’s my birthday?”

 

“You got that right doctor,” Wendy beams, “Ten points to Gryffindor.”

 

Wendy is unusually chatty today, and Irene wonders why.

 

“Well then, thank you for the cupcake Wendy. I hope it’s as sw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter