006

The Wild Card

 

 

“How twisted does that sound?” Jackson pointed out as Jaehee grew flustered but shook Yeoshin’s hand.

“How is this not making you feel weird?” Youngjae’s eyes twitched.

“Because you’re a weirdo yourself” Yeoshin pointed out and leaned back against her seat.

“How long has it been since you were last here?” Jaehee asked.

“About…..” Yeoshin looked at Mark.

“A year and a half, I think.” Mark replied for her.

Jaehee noticed how other male customers inside the restaurants were now glancing over at their table.

“Do you plan to stay long?” JB asked her.

“It looks like it, do you have a free room?” She asked, JB flicked her forehead.

“I don’t want to die in the hands of your grandmother.”

Mark and Yeoshin automatically winced.

That reminds me, we have a lot to talk about.” She told Mark, the latter nodded.

Moments later, their food arrived.

“Peanuts.” Jackson announced as the plate was placed before Yeoshin.

“Excuse me~”

“No need to bother the kitchen, I’ll take them off.” Yeoshin said as she removed the nuts on her salad.

“That might have mustard.” Jinyoung stated.

“I’ll live. Just get me soda.” She replied before mixing her salad. Jaehee grew amused of their relationship; clearly the eight of them were close and had grown up together.

“Soda.” Yeoshin looked at Mark, he nodded and called for the waiter.

“Pepsi?” Mark asked, Yeoshin nodded back.

“Ya, what’s that?” JB said as he lifted the sleeve of her jacket.

“That looks nasty.” Bam Bam said worriedly, Jaehee looked up.

“You…” Mark looked at her suspiciously as the purple bruise came into view.

“Four days ago, a police report was emailed to me, it was from San Francisco, claiming that one of my cars were stolen and got destroyed.”

Yeoshin winced.

“I’ll get you the same one, don’t worry, you married a rich woman.”

Mark glared at her.

“Oh, I hope you don’t feel uncomfortable with us, we..tend to joke like that, Jaehee-ssi. I’m sorry.” Yeoshin smiled at her.

“It’s okay, I’m glad to be finally able to meet you.” Jaehee nodded, then her eyes landed on Yeoshin's jewelry.

She might have dressed simply, and looked out of place sitting with her high profile friends in their pressed designer suits, but she had six Cartier bangles on her right hand and a gold Patek Philippe on her left wrist.

Her aura was different from other chaebol daughters she’s met, there was something relaxed but refined about her.

She was like a mystery.

 

 

“How’s my best friend doing?”

“Next time you send your children for a checkup tell me in advance.” Jaebum chided as they walked out of the restaurant.

“It was halmae, she wanted to transfer them before I arrive here.”

JB paused.

“Is it serious? She’s never really forced you to stay.”

Yeoshin exhaled and shrugged.

“I don’t know, we got in a fight at the company earlier.”

“Wae?” JB asked.

“She wanted to take over, sit on her seat and assume her title.”

“You were supposed to do that two years ago.” Jaebum said, Yeoshin just looped her arm around his.

“I married Mark to escape Hanshin, you idiot.”

“This idiot is the doctor of your dogs.” JB rolled his eyes.

“I know, anyway, I’ll see you guys….”

“Dinner?” Jaebum added.

“Do we have plans?” She asked.

“It’s Jaehee’s birthday, Mark’s holding a party at your place.”

“Cool, hey, Tuan?” She called to Mark.

“I need to go.”

“You still riding that?” Jackson said as he approached her, Jaehee chuckled and put on her helmet.

“I hate traffic, I’ll see you at home, sweetheart.” She patted Jackson’s cheek before getting on her bike.

“That’s your wife? She’s cool.” Jaehee could not help but smile as the girl sped away.

“She’s a walking anti-thesis.” Jackson mused.

Mark nodded as he watched her leave, but somehow he had a bad feeling about it. Yeoshin was staying for a long time and even she herself have no idea why.

 

 

She said she wants me to take over.

“In a rush?” Mark asked as they went down to the living room, Mark had left work early to prepare for dinner, Yeoshin nodded as she watched the help fix up the house.

Don’t you think it’s weird?” She nudged him.

It’s not, you’re Hanshin’s heir.

“Mark, I married you so you become Hanshin’s heir.”

“Are you really going to give everything to me? Because I got my hands full.”

Yeoshin slapped his arm, he chuckled.

Then Mark faced her, his eyes concerned.

“She said there’s been some suspicious stuff going around, like one of the presidents of the subsidiaries has been buying out votes.”

“She’s right to bring you here, you need to step in.” Mark said.

“Mark, I….I can’t do it. I don’t even know~”

Look,” Mark took her by the shoulders.

Talk to halmae tomorrow, I’ll come with you.

She smiled, Mark grinned before pulling her for a hug.

“I missed having you around, Yeoshin.”

“I missed you too, but can we not do this touchy stuff? You have a girlfriend, Mark! Oh my gosh!”

Mark just laughed and let her go.

“Oh, and Tuan?”

Mark glanced at her.

“Our wedding portrait, why is it that hung where you can see it right away as we enter the house?”

“Butler Jang put it up since you’re back.” Mark explained.

“We should get drapes to cover it, freaks me out every time.” She said with a shake of her head.

As you wish.

 

 

Jaehee stepped in the house and was welcomed by a cake bearing Jinyoung and Bam Bam.

“Happy birthday, noona!” Youngjae cheered.

“Thanks, guys.” She smiled before blowing out the candles.

“I’m guessing they got to you first.” Mark smiled as he walked to them.

“Your friends are fast.” She nodded and was guided to the garden where a simple feast was served.

“What about Yeoshin?” She asked, Jackson looked around.

“She’s showering.” Mark replied, Jaehee glanced at him curiously before a loud scream came from the house.

“What the~” Jackson bolted from his seat, then Yeoshin’s four dogs dashed out from the living room.

Jaehee balked in shock as the dogs approached them.

“What’s~”

Yeoshin followed, wearing a pair of jeans shorts and a cropped sweater.

“What were you shouting for?” Jaebum demanded, Youngjae looked at her.

“Halmae sent her staff.” Yeoshin said as she looked at Mark, he closed his eyes briefly.

“Staff?” Jaehee looked up in curiosity, then as a group of women dressed in starch black uniforms stepped into view, Yeoshin put on a smile and walked to them casually.

“You’ve been our friend since we were in high school, you stood by me through difficult times. And now after my accident you were worried, you yelled at me, even almost forgetting your birthday in the process. So…Happy birthday, Jaehee.” Yeoshin hugged Jaehee briefly and walked to Mark and wrapped one arm around his waist, their friends were blinking but began to nod along.

“Thanks for letting me throw a party for her.”

“Watch them act.” Bam Bam mused lowly.

 Yeoshin looked up at Mark and kissed his cheek.

Jaehee just blinked in confusion.

“Oh, ahjumma, you’re here.” Yeoshin blinked at the older lady.

“Your halmae sent me here to take care of you and the house.”

“And.. she’s not worried about Mark?” Yeoshin asked, JB and Yugyeom bit back their snorts.

“Agasshi, we have nothing to worry about mister Tuan, it is you we worry about.” She said flatly, Yeoshin didn’t reply.

“Then excuse us, we need to check the house.”

“Yes, go ahead.” Yeoshin nodded as the group of six maids left them, she then faced Mark and bit her lip.

Yeoshin, sweetheart?” Jackson spoke up to ease the tension.

What?” Yeoshin looked at him.

“Your dog just ate all the cake.”

 

“Well now, I have to play Mrs. Tuan 24/7.” She sighed before joining them at the table.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++