022

The Wild Card

The Rolls Royce rolled over the Han-Tuan residence; Yeoshin climbed the marble steps and rushed to the front door.

She tossed her coat away and made her way to the garden, butler Jang had fed her four dogs and they were now resting inside their kennel.

She exhaled and turned to their bedroom.

“It has been going on for almost a year now, he was just waiting for you to appear.”

“So, those directors who tried to~”

“Questioned you to embarrass you, young miss? They were all on his side.”

Yeoshin stopped just as she closed the door behind her.

“Why does it have to be Jaehee’s father?” She shook her head before going to the bathroom.

 

 

“He’s not yet home?” Yeoshin looked up from her laptop, just moments ago butler Jang had come into her home office with worry.

“Yes, I’m worried something might have happened with the president.”

Yeoshin glanced at the grandfather’s clock on her left, it was already nearing midnight.

“Did you try calling him?”

“Yes, I called his secretary, he tried to locate him. He’s somewhere around Hongdae, young miss.”

Yeoshin sighed and stood up.

“I’ll look for him, butler Jang. Don’t worry~”

“I’ll alert the driver~”

“Don’t bother ahjussi, he needs rest. I can drive myself.”

 

 

“What is it that you wanted to talk about, daughter?”

Jaehee smiled at his father before sitting down.

“Abeoji, tell me everything.”

“About what?”

“Your plan to take HanShin away from Yeowang.” She asked in a serious tone, her father smiled and leaned back against his seat.

“Are you willing to be our candidate then?”

“Candidate?”

“I don’t want to be president, I want you to take over.”

Jaehee paused, she swallowed and looked at her palms.

She can’t have everything; she’s already taken Mark from me.

“Fine, I’ll be your candidate, abeoji.”

 

 

 “You can’t have Yeoshin out of your life

“Admit it, ge, you never did get over that so called crush, Yeoshin’s your first love, and she still is.”

Mark ignored the cold; his thoughts enough made him shake. What was happening?

He was always so sure that Yeoshin was just a friend to him, a close friend he knew he could not live without.

But what was going on?

He often did look for her, checked on her and tried to be always around her.

He leaned back on the bench and exhaled.

Before he was so sure that Jaehee was the one, he wooed her for months.

Jaebum’s words echoed in his head.

I know you’re confused you’re right now. But tell me, why are you confused?

“Jaebum, what~”

“You were…always so sure of your feelings for Jaehee, but how come now that, Shin’s back in your life, your shaking?”

“I’m just trying~”

“Mark, this is more than trying. You’re neglecting Jaehee because of Yeoshin. You always prioritize Yeoshin, Mark, and you don’t even see how that hurts Jaehee.”

“Admit it, Yeoshin…what you feel her is different, you always just tried to hide it.”

“You know, I was expecting you to be wasted at some club and I would have to drag you to the car.”

He glanced up, Yeoshin, clad in a pair of sweats and hoodie was walking to him.

“Before you make me leave, I asked someone to drive your car home, so, no, I’m not leaving.” She beamed at him before taking the seat beside his.

How can I let you leave if you smile like that?

“I heard about Jaehee walking out earlier.” She opened up.

Shin?

Yeoshin faced him, her eyes smiling.

It’s been a long time since we went out at night, right?” He said.

“Yeah, you often went on dates and left your wife at home.” She pouted, Mark could not help but chuckle.

“That’s it, Markiepoo, smile.” She pinched his cheeks.

Mark could feel his chest tighten.

Can I really have you out of my life?

“So come on, I saw a dog café nearby!” Yeoshin took his hand, Mark smiled and just wrapped one arm around her neck as they walked.

“But, Tuan,”

Mark nodded for her to talk.

I know you may not see me all the time, don’t forget, I’m like a star, yes, you might not see me always, but please know that I’m always there for you.” She said without looking at him, Mark just smiled and pulled her closer to him.

Yeoshin bit her lip as they continued walking.

 

 

Because time will come when we might become enemies, Mark.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++