013

The Wild Card

 

 

Mark Tuan slid down from the car, Yeoshin was leaning against the vehicle.

Just talk to him, Lex.” Mark took her hand.

“Mark~”

The double doors opened and Mister Han appeared with his second wife on his side, Yeoshin exhaled.

Mark felt Yeoshin stiffen under his grip.

“What are you planning?” Yeoshin looked up, the elder bit his lip.

“Good evening, abeonim and…Mrs. Han.” Mark said politely.

“Nice seeing you, Mark.” The lady smiled.

“Has my daughter been behaving well?” His father-in-law asked good-naturedly.

“Just tell me why you did that? I don’t want your shares.” Yeoshin said.

“I don’t want them too, I tried handing them to Mark, but he refused.”

Yeoshin’s eyes went to Mark, he just flashed her a sheepish smile before walking to the house, escaping her wrath and at the same time giving the father and daughter privacy.

“How many times did I tell you? I don’t want to take grandma’s seat.”

“There’s no choice, child. You are my only daughter.”

She snorted and shook her head.

“I don’t want it.”

“Yeoshin, please~”

She glanced around and signaled for her father’s driver.

“Bring the car around, my father and his second wife are leaving.” She said before sidestepping the two and entering the house.

 

 

 

 

Jaehee exhaled and faced her father.

“You know her?”

“Not really, I just met her once..or twice.” She replied.

“We underestimated that kid, we thought she had nothing in her head.” He mused, Jaehee just leaned against her seat.

“She’s married to a strong family too, the Tuans!” He shook his head.

“What does the Tuans~”

“Not only do they have a strong impact in our market, but they have the largest line of hotels and supermalls in Taiwan and China.”

“Appa, I know that, but do we really need to this?” Jaehee asked, her brows meeting.

“Will you just let that spoiled brat take everything she has not even worked for?”

 

 

Mark was dressed in a black wife beater and a pair of sweats when he went down to the kitchen to get some water.

He found Yeoshin, lying on the carpeted floor with her four dogs on her sides.

Wife, what are you doing?” He asked in an amused tone.

Thinking, like what my father is up to and I feel like Jaehee ignored your calls because of me.

Mark paused, his brows furrowed and walked to her.

It’s not that.” He said as he plopped down beside her.

Yeoshin faced him, her eyes thoughtful.

“Tuan, why are you pale?” She suddenly sat up; Mark was about to reply when her palm flew to his forehead and neck.

“Ya, fever.” She stated.

“I’m fine, Shin. Maybe it’s the winter, you know~”

“I know how your body reacts to winter, come.” She yanked him up.

And you still have the guts to lie on the floor with the snow dogs.” She muttered darkly.

 

 

Jaehee looked up as the door was opened, Yeoshin’s warm smile greeted her, she was wearing an oversized shirt and a pair of shorts.

“He’s sick, I was hoping you can talk him out of going to work.” She stated as she let the other girl in.

“I’ll try.” Jaehee said uneasily as she walked to the stairs.

Yeoshin exhaled as she watched the girl go to their room.

“Simba?” She called as she ran to the garden.

 

 

Jaehee pushed the door open, Mark was sitting up on the bed.

“Yeoshin said you were sick, don’t go to work.” She said, Mark f aced her.

“I’m fine now, Shin’s just overreacting.” He reasoned, Jaehee’s eyes went to the second pillow beside his and another set of blankets tossed on the floor.

“Yeoshin has a habit of tossing her blanket away during sleep.” He explained while stretching, Jaehee’s brows met.

“You sleep in one room?”

“Yeah, her halmae has eyes on us, I’m surprised actually that she let you in our room.” Mark said in an amused manner, when Jaehee didn’t reply, he bit his lip and walked to her.

“I’m sorry for not picking up and forgetting, it just that things came up~”

“Like Yeoshin being HanShin’s president? And you didn’t even tell me?” She asked softly, Mark exhaled and took both of her hands.

“I just..thought you knew, I mean everyone who works under HanShin knows Alexa.”

“I didn’t know she was Alexa, Mark. How could you not mention this?”

“Why does that matter so much?” Mark asked, Jaehee looked away.

“Does it bother you that~”

“No, it doesn’t. I just expected you would tell me much more than her name.” Jaehee took her hands away, and then there was a knock on the door.

Mark? Breakfast.” Yeoshin said, two of her dogs sauntered in the room and greeted Mark with soft barks.

“Oh, these are King and Jazz.” Yeoshin smiled at Jaehee.

Don’t you have things to do today?” Mark asked her.

“I have a thing with Jiyong oppa, he’s actually downstairs. Can he join us for breakfast?”

Mark nodded, Yeoshin grinned before leaving the room.

Jaehee chewed on the insides of her cheek, just right now, when the two spoke she suddenly felt out of place. She felt like an outsider.

 

 

“Oh, hyung, long time no see.” Mark greeted the older male with a handshake, Jaehee paused, recognizing the man clad in a black printed shirt and a pair of white denim jeans.

“Jaehee, this is Jiyong oppa. GD oppa this is Jaehee.” Yeoshin said before taking her seat, her eyes went to the food prepared by the kitchen help, Mark followed her gaze and grinned.

“GDragon.” Jaehee nodded with a smile.

“These two have been friends since we were in high school.” Mark opened up as everyone was seated.

“I see you’ve been getting along well with this goddess,” Jiyong started.

“Yeoshin doesn’t have much female friends.” He mused, Mark chuckled before disappearing to the small kitchen.

Jaehee glanced up from her seat as Mark appeared with a small tray in his hands.

“We prefer not to have the help and Butler Jang running around this early.” Yeoshin explained.

“I have female friends, oppa.” Yeoshin argued and glared at her friend.

“Excluding Chaerin, who else?”

“Yejin, but she’s still in LA, finishing law school.” She pointed out; Mark just shook his head while smiling as he placed a slice of butter over her toast.

“Unsalted?” She glanced up at him, he nodded.

“Sure.” Jiyong rolled his eyes; Yeoshin began to spread the butter on her bread.

Jaehee just watched as Yeoshin squabbled with the popular singer. She found it odd, was the girl really capable of handling HanShin?

She watched as Mark poured some coffee on a cup.

“Two cubes.” Yeoshin said without looking up, Mark dropped two cubes of sugar on her cup.

I know.” Mark rolled his eyes.

“Scrambled, with pepper and sea salt?” Yeoshin started to fork through the eggs on her plate.

“I think so, I told Butler Jang about your preferences.” Mark placed a bottle of strawberry and orange jam on her left.

Jaehee’s brows furrowed, Mark was never the expressive type, and yet here he, knew everything about Yeoshin.

Yeoshin opened one of the jams and dipped her spoon in; she spread some on a slice of wheat bread and dropped it on Mark’s plate.

Orange.” Mark stated, Yeoshin sent him a look before taking another slice of bread.

“Has she told you about her shopping plans today?” Jiyong asked, totally used to how the two communicated.

“We have special viewing with Hermes and Chanel today, oh, Jaehee, you want to come with us?” Yeoshin faced her before handing Mark the bread with orange jam.

“I’m..quite busy today.” She replied with a small smile.

Her fists curled on her lap.

Her friends ranged from young elites to popular stars; does she really know how to manage a company?

Did she even really run Samsung when she was outside the country?

Just how wide is your network, Yeowang?

 

 

And Mark……are they really just friends?

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++