Music to my heart

Strings of my heart

My name is Yoon Jihoo. I’m a doctor; a heart surgeon to be accurate. Even though hearts are my specialty my heart needs a doctor. I stood there and watched her tell her vows, I was the groom’s best-man. But that was years ago. I left the country and got my master and PhD degrees abroad. Well it doesn’t matter now; I’m back. Here I am standing where it all started; the story of the four rich cocky boys that had their lives changed by a one girl. Shinhwa High School, the place still looks the same except for the people. I couldn’t recognize anyone and apparently no one recognized me, a lot has changed. I decided to walk around the school. Right now I really wish I had my violin. I was approaching my favorite place in school; I could hear the sound of a violin. I walked slowly and I saw the figure of a girl. Black jeans, black blazer and brown hair; she was playing the violin and her body was swaying with the music. It was a sad tune; very sad that I felt my eyes tearing up. She is not a student since she is not wearing the uniform. Or maybe she is one of the school new rulers. The school bell rand, she put the violin in its case and turned around. She was very beautiful. I stared at her and she bowed “Hello, Jihoo-shi?” I was taken back; how did she know my name? I nodded then bowed “Hello” I said trying to steady my voice. “I’m Gu Mina.” She said smiling and she reached out her hand. I shook her hand and said “Yoon Jihoo” She chuckled “The one and only, so I guess the F4/ gang are back.” she said as we walked side by side. I laughed “I guess so. Gu, that family name sounds familiar?” I smirked “I’m JunPyo’s cousin” “I didn’t know he had such a beautiful cousin. What are you doing here?” “I’m a music teacher.” “Why am I not surprised? You play very well but that was such a sad piece.” “Violin is a sad instrument. It’s made for lonely hearts. “Jandi Unnie told me that you play the violin too.” She said and I nodded. She took a step closer to me and whispered in my ear “She said that she fell in love with you when she saw you playing.” “I’m not that good. Actually I haven’t played for a while.” I said “You can help me with the wedding piece. The F3 are waiting for you in the longue. I have a class, so see you there later.” She said then she walked away.

My heart is beating fast as if I’ve been running. I walked into the longue and they were sitting there, just like old days except for Jandi who was sitting next to Junpyo. When they saw me they all stood and greeted me warmly. It’s so good to be back. Jandi came running and she wrapped her arms around me “It’s so good to have you back. I missed you so much.” She said excitedly “Look at you; you look so pregnant.” I and she punched my shoulder “How is our groom? I never thought I’d live to see this day; Song Woobin aka Don Juan is getting married. I don’t know how Jaekyung did it.” I said hugging Woobin “It’s good to see you again bro.” He said “It turned out that the monkey has a brain and a heart.” Junpyo said “Who would have thought that our romantic boy would be the last one to get married? Haven’t you met a hot chick in the US?” Yijung said hugging me “I met a lot of hot chicks. I can beat you with girls anytime.” I said with a smirk “Sorry Dude, I can’t accept your challenge; you don’t want to get me in trouble. Gaeul would kill you and me if she heard that. But still when it comes to girls I can beat you anytime.” He said flashing his all time killer Casanova smile. “Gaeul has you head over heels.” “Yeah, and we’ll welcome a beautiful baby in a few months.” He said “Congrats brother. You’re all married or soon to be. I’m the only one remaining.” I said. We talked for about an hour; catching up.

“I met Mina. You didn’t tell me you have a cousin.” I said to Junpyo “I didn’t know she existed until a few months ago. Dad just brought her home one evening. She lived abroad all her life but she decided to come back.” Junpyo said “She lives at the mansion?” “Not any more, she moved to a small apartment. She said that she wanted to give us our privacy. She is weird. Actually, she reminds me of you.” “She plays the violin too” Jandi said “I heard her. She is pretty good.” “She graduated from Julliard. Poor thing, she came back to forget about her ex. The jerk cheated on her then he broke up with her on the phone.” Jandi said angrily “I’ll find that bastard and I’ll ruin his life.” Junpyo said. This is the first time since I see Junpyo acting like this with someone who is not Jandi. “She won’t like that. She just wants to forget him and have a life of her own.” Jandi said “She is a strong independent woman. After all she is jaekyung’s friend.” Woobin said. There was a knock on the door then she walked in “Hello everybody. I see you found your way; I was afraid you would get lost.” She said “It’s my school.” I said and she smiled. Her smile is gorgeous. I think they should make a community for broken hearted. Forces of the world seem pull the broken hearted together.

It’s been a week since my return. I’ve been hanging out with Mina helping her with the wedding preparation since both Jadi and Gaeul are pregnant. She really is a strong woman. She is also a perfectionist and she won’t allow a single thing to be less than perfect. She and Jaekyung are very close; they went to high school together and they’ve been best friends since then. Jaekyung being her normal short tempered self couldn’t bear with Mina’s quest for perfection; she usually gets mad or bored and leaves us. No wonder Junpyo said that she reminded him of me; she is really like me. She gets lost in her thoughts easily, she has bad luck when it comes to love, she plays the violin, she is an orphan and she is a hopeless romantic. The only difference is that she is stronger and more stubborn than me; I think she learned that from Jaekyung. I have to admit that I’m getting drawn to her. I don’t want to get my hopes high and I don’t want to let myself fall for her. “Mina you said you wanted me to help you with a piece of music.”I said after we finished scolding the hotel manager for doing something that I don’t understand. “Oh yes, I’ve been so busy with the arrangement I almost forgot. I’m writing this for them; I want them to dance to it.”  She said “We can stop by your house then go to mine.” “Why should we go to your house? I have everything ready in mine and the music sheets are there.” “I have a studio at my house; I thought it’d be useful.” “Luxury, I kind of forgot how that feels like.” “You’re Gu Junpyo’s cousin you can’t be poor.” I said “I don’t use my parents’ money. I like depending on myself. Anyway, I’ll pick the sheets and we can go to your house.”

She played the piano this time. She was good, like really good. I played the guitar and we kept working on her piece all night. The piece was sensational. She was satisfied with the result and we only had to record it. I went to get us something to drink when I came back she was sleeping on the piano. I carried her to the guest room and placed one of Seohyun’s dresses on a chair. Many times I thought about throwing away her clothes but I never could. I guess I’ve always been living in the past. I went to bed after making up my mind that I’ll through her stuff away or send them back to her and cut all my ties with the past. I woke up and went to the kitchen to make breakfast for Mina. I froze outside the kitchen when I heard her singing. He voice was angelic. I can listen to her singing all day long till the end of life. I watched her as she danced around the kitchen searching for something. She was barefoot and she was wearing that short white floral dress. I couldn’t stop myself from walking to her. I put my hand on her waist, held her other hand and we’re in position to slow dance. I stared into her eyes and for the first time I realized they were hazel. I don’t know how we’re doing this; we’re dancing without music and we’re in perfect harmony. I could feel my heart beats speeding. I could feel her pulse getting faster and her eye pupils are dilated. I moved my head closed and I pressed my lips to her.

“Yah Yoon Jihoo, what are you making for breakfast?” I heard Junpyo shouting. I pulled away from Mina and turned. He was standing in front of the kitchen door staring at us. Before I could open my mouth I felt pain in my lower jaw. “How dare you? She is my cousin.” Junpyo yelled as he punched me. “Oppa stop, we didn’t do anything wrong.” I heard Mina shouting. Junpyo turned and glared at her and shouted “He was eating your face.” “I let him. We’re both adults and we’re responsible for our actions.” she said with a straight face and a flat tone. This is the first time I see someone treating Junpyo like this except Jandi. No, she is even worse than Jandi she is Jaekyung and Jandi. Junpyo’s face was flushed and he clenched his fist. “Ya Gu Mina, as long as you’re here you are under my guard.” He said under his breath. “Junpyo, you know me better than that. I wouldn’t do anything to her.” I said standing between Mina and Junpyo “FYI, I’m here since yesterday.” She said. That was bad, bad move bad move. Junpyo’s neck vein was jutting “Nothing happened, I swear.” I said. Junpyo pushed me then he grabbed Mina and threw her on his shoulder and walked out of the house “Junpyo put her down.” I shouted. “She is right. We’re both grownups. You know something I’m not a playboy and you know that very well. I like your cousin and I’ll be honored if she agrees to go out with me.” I said taking a deep breath. Junpyo put down the startled Mina who stared at me. A lot of things have changed including me. Working in a hospital where I have to take firm decision made me bolder. “Mina, I’ve been following you around for the past week and I have to say that you’re special. I fell for you the moment I heard you playing that violin. You’re beautiful, courageous and a perfectionist. I admire everything about you. I don’t know if this is going to work or not but I won’t sit back and wait till someone steal you from me. Gu Mina, would you like to have dinner with me tonight?” I said Yijung stood beside Junpyo and they both smiled, but I don’t care even if this was a set up.

“Oppa, I have a confession.” Mina said when I was driving her home after our date. It was not a normal date. Actually we talked about our exes which is weird but I feel like I’ve known her for years. I feel like I can tell her anything and it’s not usual for me to trust someone that fast. She was honest even about her anger when her ex broke up with her. She filmed herself burning their photos together and emailed the video to him. I have to admit that it scared me. But she said that she doesn’t allow anyone hurt her pride and that she found his break up humiliating not heart breaking. “Say it” I said. She took out a photo from her bag and gave it to me. It was a photo of two kids playing the violin. I recognized the boy, it was me. I remember that day and I remember this photo. I have a copy of it and it’s placed on my bedside “I know it is impossible for you to remember this but I never forgot.” “Gu Mina, I’m stupid. How could I forget? I tried to find you for years.” I said in disbelief. She cleared then she said “You remember that is good. Well, a few days ago when I found this photo, I remembered that this little boy was my first crush. When I found that it was you I realized that I was falling again for my first crush and that I never actually forgot that boy or his last words.” She said smiling shyly and looking at her feet “No matter how far they take you away from me, I’ll find you and I’ll marry you.” I said remembering the promise I made her. I shook my head and laughed “Unbelievable” I said then I started the car engine. “There is something that you have to see.”

We went to my house and into my room. I showed her the photo on the bedside table “You said that it is impossible for me to remember but that is only because I never forgot. All this heart break and trouble was the broken road that led me back to you. I think all this time I’ve been searching for you. I saw your beauty in Seohyun and your fierceness and boldness in Jandi. All this time I was looking for you in them, in every girl I met and every time I saw a hint of you in a girl I fell. But there was always something missing. I can’t believe you’re back.” I said wrapping my arms around her “I can’t believe I found you.” She whispered “I’ll never ever let you get away from me” I whispered kissing her cheek “But since I’m back there will be major changes.” She said pulling away and looking into my confused eyes “I don’t like nonworking men. If we’re getting back together you have to run your grandfather’s hospital or work there since you’re a doctor. I’ll help you if you want but you can’t be lazy.” She ordered. I laughed “Okay” I said “And you can’t have that blond her anymore. I like your natural hair color better.” “I’ll think about that.” I said tickling her. She cracked up in laughter and fell on the bed “Oppa stop” she said between her laughs. I held the ring that my grandpa gave me, maybe it’s finally going to find its home. “Well, I guess all the F4 are taken now” She said. “I guess so” I said pressing my lips to hers. We lay on the bed holding hands. “You play on the strings of my heart” She said. I burst out laughing “You still remember that?” I said “It was such a good pick up line. It made me fall for you” she said laughing “You’re my favorite song. That was your reply every time I said that.” I said and she laughed loudly. “God bless the broken road that led me straight to you” I sang holding tight.