{ final }

Beneath The Surface

{ chapter seventeen - final


A little over two months has passed.
Jongin’s parents don’t question him when he claims that Kyungsoo is a school friend seeking refuge from an unstable and abusive home environment. They welcome Kyungsoo, and they don’t question his feeble and disturbed personality, nor his strange ways of approaching everyday procedures and peculiar questions about the simplest of things.

Kyungsoo, as expected, has lost his ability to enter the Sea. Even with Taemin’s assistance, his efforts to break the barrier are fruitless, and he can’t go under no matter how hard he tries. At first it brings him to tears and he grieves for his loss, homesick and lost, but having Jongin to support him makes him realise just how fortunate he is to be on the Surface rather than in the Sea.

Jongin doesn’t visit the beach every day anymore. He misses Taemin, but it’s easier for Kyungsoo to cope if they explore the Surface and avoid Kyungsoo’s former home. Besides, his love for Kyungsoo is far superior to his love for the Sea, so he doesn’t have much trouble sacrificing one for the other.

One bright Saturday brings Jongin and Kyungsoo down to the beach to scour for seashells and dip their toes in the water. Kyungsoo dances and twirls across the shore with his arms outstretched, warmed by the humidity, kissed by the sun. The sand is as soft as the clouds overhead and his laughter bubbles across the vast seaside as Jongin lifts him into the air and spins him around. Moments like these are what make Kyungsoo realise that the Sea can be loved and enjoyed without being a part of it.

Taemin pops up at the rock shelves to say hello, but there’s an air of excitement in his voice when he greets them.

“Come into the water,” he invites. “I have to show you something.”

“I can’t go under,” Kyungsoo reminds him, but Taemin shakes his head, dismissing him.

“It doesn’t matter. Come in.

“We didn’t bring our—”

“Oh, come on. Just get in.” Taemin grabs Jongin’s wrists and pulls him down, and Jongin cries out as he topples over and falls into the water on top of his friend. Kyungsoo gasps and crawls to the edge of the rock, looking down, and bursts out laughing when he sees Jongin fighting to wrestle Taemin under.

“Screw you!” he splutters, between the mouthfuls of seawater and loud splashes from Taemin’s tail.

Kyungsoo cautiously steps down from the rocks and slips into the water to join them, and Jongin immediately stops once he realises they’re not alone, moving to swim beside Kyungsoo and protect him.

“Come out further,” Taemin requests. “Trust me. You’ll be safe.”

Hesitance is visible on Kyungsoo’s face – Kyungsoo hasn’t gone out deep in the water since he realised he couldn’t enter the Sea anymore. Jongin takes his hand, silently assuring him he won’t allow Taemin to force them into anything he’s is uncomfortable with.

“I don’t know…” Kyungsoo says unsurely.

“Please?” Taemin smiles at Kyungsoo imploringly, seizing his free hand and tugging him along. “I promise, you’ll love me for it.”

He sighs and gives in to Taemin’s begging, and they all swim out together, with Jongin and Taemin assisting Kyungsoo as he’s still not confident with his swimming – the change from tail to legs is difficult to adjust to. They travel slowly for the sake of Kyungsoo, and Taemin stops them just short of the drop-off, impatient.

“Would you trust me if I asked you to go under?” Taemin queries. Jongin immediately pulls Kyungsoo back, raising his eyebrows.

“Taemin…”

“I wouldn’t hurt him, Jongin,” Taemin promises, “you know that.” He turns to Kyungsoo again and begs him with his eyes, nodding encouragingly.

“Would you?”

Kyungsoo pauses, tentative, before nodding slowly. “Yes. I would.”

Taemin pulls Kyungsoo out of Jongin’s grasp, beaming with excitement. “Yes! Kyungsoo, you’re not going to regret this, I promise.”

“Not for long, though,” Kyungsoo says quickly. “It hurts to be under when I can’t breathe.”

“Just trust me,” Taemin says hurriedly. “Are you ready?”

Even before Kyungsoo can take a breath, Taemin drags him under, and Jongin recoils in horror. Is Taemin trying to kill him? What kind of surprise could possibly be worth risking Kyungsoo’s life and mental state?

Jongin dives under quickly, inhaling deeply and feeling the Sea caress him for the first time in what feels like forever. He blinks as his eyes adjust to the salt water, and catches sight of Kyungsoo floating in the water, eyes wide open.

He’s breathing.

Taemin is beside him, his teeth shining in a bright smile, staring at the same spot Kyungsoo’s eyes are locked on.

Jongin barely has time to turn before a violet tail propels a familiar body forward, barrelling into Kyungsoo and spinning him around in the water. His slim arms and long tail wrap around Kyungsoo’s body, cocooning him in a warm and brotherly embrace.

“Kyungsoo!” Junmyeon cries, “oh, Kyungsoo, look at you!”

When Junmyeon pulls away, Kyungsoo’s eyes are stained with red, and shine brighter than the stars that Junmyeon will never see. He looks down and watches as Junmyeon examines his legs with his tail, smiling brightly.

“I can’t believe it,” Junmyeon laughs. “I didn’t think it was true. Oh, I’ve missed you so much.”

“I’ve missed you too,” Kyungsoo says shakily. “How—how did you…?”

Kyungsoo’s words trail off into silence, but Junmyeon knows what’s on his mind – and he can tell it’s in Jongin’s too, judging by the bewildered look on his face.

“Father passed away in illness. The crown has been transferred to me – as well as the ability to control the Sea. I’ve allowed you entrance. You’ll be able to breathe underwater and visit the Kingdom any time, now.”

“Really?” Kyungsoo says hoarsely. He covers his mouth and begins to sob, shaking his head in incredulity.

“Of course,” Junmyeon says softly. “It’s the first thing I did, after the coronation. I’ve wanted to see you since Taemin informed me that you were alive.”

Junmyeon Kyungsoo’s cheek and smiles at him lovingly, watching his every move, not wanting to avert his gaze and lose the precious seconds he’s blessed to be able to spend with his brother.

Feeling as if he’s are intruding the personal moment, Jongin backs away and swims over to Taemin, who is also keeping his distance from the brothers. They smile at each other and turn away so their voices aren’t heard.

“Thank you,” Jongin whispers. “I’ve haven’t seen him this happy in so long.”

“I’ve never seen Junmyeon this happy, either,” he murmurs. “Not since I told him Kyungsoo was alive.”

Jongin looks up at his friend from under his eyelashes, trying to communicate with his eyes, but failing. He lowers his voice to address the single thing that’s bothering him.

“How did you gain contact with Junmyeon?”

Taemin’s cheeks blush red, shy, and he smiles modestly to hide how embarrassed he is.

“I hung around the palace after the execution. Junmyeon was in such distress, and he recognised me…he had nobody else to talk to. So I consoled him.”

“You told him about what you’d done?”

“I had to. He was in so much pain. I kept him informed, every day.”

“Why did you never tell us?”

Taemin shrugs, the bashful smile tweaking into one of cheekiness. “We both knew this day would come, that he would have the capability to allow Kyungsoo back into the Sea. I wanted to make it special for him.”

“You’re terrible,” Jongin laughs softly. “You know how upset Kyungsoo has been.”

Taemin throws his hands up defensively. “Look at how happy he is! Don’t blame me now!”

Jongin rolls his eyes and pulls Taemin into a hug. Seeing Kyungsoo with such joy in his eyes is the most precious gift he could ever ask for. “Thanks, Taemin.”

Taemin’s about to respond, but something goes off in his mind and causes his eyes to light up. “Oh, I have something for you,” he says suddenly.

Jongin raises an eyebrow, and watches as Taemin fumbles with his long hair, apparently pulling something out of it. He grimaces, until he realise what’s been cleverly tangled between his locks is shimmering and gold. Jongin gasps, and immediately takes the item into his hands.

“Kyungsoo’s necklace!” he hisses. He wants to cry out in joy, but realises Kyungsoo could be listening in – and this is the cherry on top of the perfect surprise for Kyungsoo.

Jongin turns, clutching the necklace to his chest, just as Junmyeon is releasing Kyungsoo from his arms. They both look towards sheepish Taemin and Jongin, and Kyungsoo locks eyes with his lover questioningly.

“Kyungsoo,” he asks, “can you come here for a moment?”

Kyungsoo swims over and stops before him, raising his chin and smiling softly. Jongin requests for him to shut his eyes, and he carefully reaches out and clasps the necklace around his delicate neck. It falls against his collarbones, and Kyungsoo opens his eyes and looks down in shock.

“You found it?”

“Taemin found it.”

Kyungsoo looks to Taemin with gratefulness sparkling in his eyes, but he only lasts a few composed seconds before he dives into Jongin’s arms to kiss him. He’s bubbling over with excitement, joy from seeing his brother, relief from having his precious necklace returned, and he has no shame in showing his affection for Jongin in front of the other two.

Junmyeon winces, but his smile doesn’t falter. After all, this is the first time he’s seen Kyungsoo be so open and loving towards anyone other than Jinki or himself. Knowing that his brother is happy and in love is more than what he could ever have asked for.

“Kyungsoo,” Junmyeon calls gently, “I must leave soon, but I have one more question for you.”

“Yes?” Kyungsoo chirps, pulling back from Jongin and turning to smile at him. His hands are still pressed against Jongin’s chest, and neither of them seem to have any intentions of releasing each other.

“You know that you can enter the Sea now as you wish,” Junmyeon asks, “don’t you?”

“Of course.”

He looks between Kyungsoo and Jongin, analysing their close proximity and fond body language before he continues. “I have control over the Kingdom now. I have the power to grant you back your royal status.” He pauses as Kyungsoo’s dizzy smile begins to fade, the words sinking in.

“If you wanted to return home,” Junmyeon explains gently, “you are always welcome to.”

Jongin immediately turns to Kyungsoo, biting his lip, and Kyungsoo drops his gaze. Looking at either of them would bring him too much guilt, and the words are heavy enough on him. The airy atmosphere has dropped, and suddenly, Kyungsoo feels the world closing in on him.

The offer is something Kyungsoo feels he should be incredibly thankful for. His Father is gone, and Junmyeon has granted him access to not only the Sea, but citizenship and royal status in the Kingdom once more. He could easily leave the life on the Surface he still hasn’t fully adjusted to, and return to the one he had before, sans his controlling Father and secretive engagements with Jongin.

But when Kyungsoo raises his head to look at Jongin and sees the dirt in his fingernails, the sand in his hair and love in his eyes, he realises just how much he would be losing to return to a life where he’s not with the man he loves every day. It would feel so unfamiliar to go back to living in the Sea, to leave the Surface he’s grown to adore so much – and this can only be explained by the sense of belonging Kyungsoo has to his new life above the water.

The Sea is no longer his home. Home is the Surface. Home is with Jongin.

Kyungsoo’s lips gape slightly as he tries to formulate an answer, but he just can’t seem to shape the words well enough to explain how he feels. He doesn’t want to hurt Junmyeon – but his brother needs to know the truth.

“No,” Kyungsoo says finally. He realises all three males are watching him, and he shrinks under their stares. “I’m sorry, Junmyeon. But…I’m happy where I am. On the Surface.”

Junmyeon smiles at him tenderly, and shakes his head, sensing Kyungsoo’s guilt. “I understand. Your happiness is all I could wish for.”

“I’ll visit every day,” Kyungsoo blurts. “I’ll come down to see you all the time. I promise.”

Junmyeon bows his head in a well-mannered nod. “The palace gates are always open to you.”

Kyungsoo finally breaks away from Jongin to embrace Junmyeon once more, squeezing him tight into his arms. It hurts to have to leave his brother after such an emotional reunion, but he can tell the new King is hasty to return.

“I have duties to return to, Kyungsoo,” Junmyeon says, reading his brother’s mind. “But I shall expect to see you soon.”

“Every day,” Kyungsoo promises.

Junmyeon releases his sibling and nods towards Jongin, signalling for him to return to his lover. “Go and enjoy the Surface. Jongin…” Jongin jolts in surprise, taken aback by Junmyeon’s use of his name, “…take care of my brother.”

Jongin bows in respect, a smile touching his lips. “Yes, Sir.”

He swims over to take Kyungsoo’s hand, and they bid farewell to Junmyeon and Taemin, before turning and swimming back to the beach together. The two Mer watch the humans go, smiling as they watch Jongin loop an arm around Kyungsoo’s waist, assisting him with his awkward swimming.

Once they’ve disappeared, Taemin clears his throat and turns away, and catches sight of Junmyeon staring at him, a gentle smile on his face, head tilted slightly to the side. Taemin seizes up instantly, heart skipping multiple beats, and he waits in stunned silence as Junmyeon’s smile grows.

“Thank you, Taemin.”

Taemin balls his fist, trying to gulp down the lump in his throat that just won’t budge. It takes him a while to comprehend the words, too caught up in his disbelief that he’s so close to Junmyeon, that Junmyeon is looking at him – too busy admiring just how beautiful the other man is.

“Oh,” Taemin says awkwardly, “oh, it’s—it’s nothing, I mean—I was worried about Kyungsoo too, and, you know, Jongin, and, well, I wanted, you know—”

“Not just for this,” Junmyeon says quietly. Taemin feels dizzy, entranced by Junmyeon’s voice, and he’s unable to move, even when Junmyeon swims a little closer to him. He joins their hands and Taemin begins to breathe quickly, shallowly, his vision going blurry and his mind slamming his internal panic button.

“The palace is open to you, too,” Junmyeon whispers, before leaning forward and pressing his lips against Taemin’s cheek in a gentle kiss.

Taemin swears he’s dreaming.

“I’ll be awaiting your visit,” Junmyeon says, a light dusting of pink rising to his cheeks. “Farewell, Taemin.”

“Bye,” Taemin says stupidly, his world a hazy mess. Junmyeon backs away, smiling, and swims off, and Taemin finally lets a triumphant grin spread across his lips. He’s still in a daze, and his mind isn’t working properly – but the one thing he can comprehend is just how glad he is for pursuing his hope of saving Kyungsoo.

Bubbling over with excitement, Taemin whoops and somersaults, throwing his arms out to the side and laughing in victory before whipping his tail and propelling himself to the Surface.

Maybe one day, their friendship will develop into something more, and his love will bring Junmyeon up above the water and allow him to breathe, too.

Taemin bursts from the Sea and flips his hair from his eyes, scanning the shoreline for the familiar figures. He spots Kyungsoo and Jongin across the beach, their fingers entwined as they walk across the sand, soaking up the sunshine. The smiles on their faces are naïve and clouded with love, but Taemin knows they’re smiling for the connection between the Surface and the Sea, the connection that’s brought lovers together and families back home.

Kyungsoo and Jongin have done something revolutionary – and, for the very first time, the Sea and the Surface have finally become one.


 [ a/n ] omg.....ok so this is the crappy final chapter/epilogue thingy THIS IS IT IM SO SAD!!!!!!! WHAT WILL I DO !!!1!!! I NEED TO WRITE MORE FANFIC SO I CAN KEEP ALL MY CUTIE COMMENTERS HERE WITH ME. HUHUHUHUU. oh well thanks for everyone's support (especially the ppl commenting you make me so happy!!!! ily) and i hope you enjoyed the fic i guess HAHA idk what else to say ??? i hope u liked the happy ending??? ok i'll go now THANKS FOR READING DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT LOVE YOU GUYS BYE

 word count: 2706